Orange SPV C500 officially announced by Orange

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest morpheus2702
Nokia did get one thing right, and thats that mobile phones are as much to do with fashion as features (until their chief designer went insane).

So is the C500 fashion? I'm not picking a fight here - I think the Nokia 6230 is the new retro look to replace the iPod pearl white!

Guest sgannon

I can't believe they're spending time making and designing the C500 when they haven't even finished the last one (E200) yet. :?

Guest Mr Orange
no radio  :cry: it makes sense for O though i think they want you to use gprs radio at £10 a minuet  :wink:

The C500 never had an FM radio, and I don't know how it managed to get included as part of the spec announced on this forum.

Guest Lingerhosen

Nobody use GPRS radio then? I'd be interested in the settings and costs. (unless it's more than virtually free, in which case, mweh...)

Guest sgannon

More likely that someone just translated the announcement on Smartease very badly!

Contrairement à ce qui était annoncé par la rumeur, le SPV C500 n'intègre pas de tuner radio FM !

Guest Dr Who
Nobody use GPRS radio then?  I'd be interested in the settings and costs.  (unless it's more than virtually free, in which case, mweh...)

Nope. Cost is too high. When I first got my phone I was interested in streaming media but if you figure a radio feed is what, 2k/sec thats 120k/min or ~ 4MB/hour, i.e. £4/hour under Oranges harsh pricing structure. Free the data, that's what I say! I can't believe GPRS gets that much use countrywide and if the infrastructure is their why not allow it to be utilised to it's fullest. It's going to be obsolete in a few years so they might as well squeeze a bit of use it? Bring on the rise of 3G. I already have a phone whose battery life could reasonably be measured in minutes rather than hours.............

Guest paddy_mcnulty

At first I thought yuk but having another look I think it's okay. I'm overdue an upgrade (have been waiting for MPx220) but price may have to dictate which I get. Just have to wait and see how much Orange reckon they can get away with for both...

Still I think its good that there are more smartphones coming out. The reason I haven't upgraded is that once I used a smartphone I couldn't bare going back to the 'old' phones I had and there were no new smartphones I really wanted. Now there seems there's going some good choices around in the few months. :D

Guest morpheus2702

The C500 never had an FM radio, and I don't know how it managed to get included as part of the spec announced on this forum.

Well, certainly didn't come from our 'hotline' to Orange? :wink:

Guest pierre

The design is neither great, nor ugly. It's simple and sober like a typical Nokia. I like the size combined with Smartphone' features.

Guest AngelOfRage

if the cost is ok then i maybe interested. Im not due an upgrade untill october but ive been offered an upgrade now for a £75 fee + discounted phone costs (Both the E200 and the MPX200 are free). If the C500 is resonable (read very, very cheap) i may get it when it comes out.

Guest djfuego

Polyphonic ringtones, does that mean half decent midi or just as bad as the SPV?

Yeah the Improved voice thing is funny innit. You get really

I've only found bad quality in bad reception areas or if i'm in the middle of an app and someone calls.

Guest B@man

Specs, features & xtras.

Sellit2me.

Wots the full package contain? Why iz dis the only phone for "me?" Considering the fact that I have been with egnarO about a week after they started.... remember when they were Hutichison? Remember the short lived promises of the Rabbit network? Yeah? Tell me, I know. The wedge I've spent with these sods......, .as i said sellit2me.

Make it wurf my while.

I dare ya.

Bitta? LARGA.

Guest StillHasSomeHair

The more I read here at MoDaCo the more I understand the placement of this phone in the food chain of users. I still can't believe it took me so long to find this place.

More than 20 Signature phones are expected to be launched during the second half of 2004 across the Orange group.

Signature phones have proved to be the most successful Orange handsets in terms of usage and revenues. 

It’s a third smaller than the last version of the SPV and targets a specific, as yet untapped, segment of the Smartphone market – the professional consumer who wants to keep their world in their pocket, not their briefcase. 

IE: ME... The press release is telling you that Orange are definitely after the business £ with this phone not gamers.

I also notice that people posting here keep on trying to compare it to the MPx220 - hasn't anyone noticed that it has a different form factor to the MPx220? Businessmen don't do flip-fones - it's their 'other half' who has the flip-fone.

To me it seems that it is the MPx100 you should be comparing to the C500 - although, because Orange comissioned HTC to create the C500, it will be ages before they stock the MPx100 so as not to dent their own pockets by fattening those of Motorola - "the future looks bright" for the release of the SPV C500 in July (Q3) compared to the release of the MPx100 in, say, October (Q4)...

Am I really the only person here that wants to get an MPx100 and a C500 side by side for a shootout before inflicting one or the other on my company's employees...? This new breed of smart phones are really pocket laptops and can't be compared to an Etch A Sketch®.

:?:

Guest robpow

I got really interested when I starting reading about the C500 and although the first impression of the photos wasn't that great I am still keen on upgrading. If it weren't for one thing - the mini-SD card slot under the battery! Why tinker with something that wasn't wrong? Someone wrote, I think it was on the Swedish mobile phone magazone www.mobil.se web site, that Orange did this cause people complained that they kept losing their SD cards. I'm not quite sure how replacing the well known and tested SD card with something half the size is going to improve on that. Next they will make the phone bigger again cause somone complains they can't find the phone! :D

Guest StillHasSomeHair

From a 'Business' point of view staff were dropping their phones in customers offices - losing the SD card - thereby leaving behind 'Sensitive Data' that had been sync'd across from their laptops and getting everyone a roasting when the customer finds the SD card and takes a peek...

The C500 is for business - so the SD card needs to be kept safe - like under the battery and out of the way.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

To be honest thats a pitiful excuse. I've dropped my phone on several occasions (and have the cracks and scratches to show for it) and the SD has only once managed to completely remove itself, at which point i noticed as i was checking the phone still worked after its bump :D

If the data is that sensitive they users should take more care, by default. It's not up to a complete hardware redesign (for the worse) to make up for user clumsiness.

Guest midnight

well, the reason for under the battery is due to O getting calls about lost SD cards, people wanted compensation saying it was O's fault to the phone design (of course, these people dont realise its their fault cos they dropped the phone), anyhooo, the reason its mini sd i would have thought is obvious.... size. The phone would not be the size it is if it had a regular SD slot, that simple. And I would think that the SD slot under the battery also helps with the small size, no need to worry about outside positioning and how it affects bulk (I presume the reason the spv's are so thick is due to the sd slot, that alone adds around 5mm)

Guest squall

the sd card doesn't add that much to the thickness of the spv range atm. the card slips under the keyboard, but the thickness of the keyboard and sd card together are the same as the lcd.

So unless you had a case that was thicker over the lcd than it is over the keyboard relocating the sd card wouldn't make any difference really.

The spv/e100 wasted alot of space in the area of at ariel. This area was filled out with the internal camera on the e200. but tbh i belive the spv was designed with an internal camera, the nit was dropped. The reasons for me believing this is i was able to fit the external camera into the internal void without *to* much modification.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.