Orange SPV C500 - 200mhz!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest kyrkesmith

There's a review of the C500 at PocketPC.ch that MSMobiles has picked up on. I don't speak German, but according to him "joystick has poor reaction time and feeling to presses" (which still needs translating a bit further, but there we go). It's a Swiss forum ("Switzerland (a little country in South-West Europe where crimin@ls can open bank account without fear of being persecuted)"), so I don't know if I'm supposed to link to it, for fear of persecution.

Guest Pondrew
There's a review of the C500 at PocketPC.ch that MSMobiles has picked up on. I don't speak German, but according to him "joystick has poor reaction time and feeling to presses" (which still needs translating a bit further, but there we go). It's a Swiss forum ("Switzerland (a little country in South-West Europe where crimin@ls can open bank account without fear of being persecuted)"), so I don't know if I'm supposed to link to it, for fear of persecution.

Joystick? What joystick?!

Guest Paul [MVP]

Don't forget that there is no such thing as a final build C500 yet, so any 'reviews' are NOT the final device.

To summarise what has been said before, and to put a few things straight...

The C500 has exactly the same camera as the e200. I have no specifics on the software, but it's likely to be IA Album - Capture derived, since HTC bought IA.

The MPx devices do feature a higher spec camera with flash, so that's a bonus.

The processor in the HTC is the OMAP 730 of course, and one of the Motos, can't remember which, has the even newer generation OMAP.

The bottom line is that the specs will be pretty similar bar the camera, and i'm sure there will be ample memory on all devices by launch. Again, there are no final Moto devices yet, so it's too early to make a judgement.

When it comes down to size, the HTC device is a winner by a mile.

The MPx220 IS a sizable phone, and those members who were at the last event will tell you that the MPx100 that was shown there was not small.

The C500 however is, go and find an 8210, hold it in one hand with your e200 in the other, and tell me what you think.

Which device will I use?

I love the size of the HTC, but i'll reserve judgement till i've tried all of the next generation handsets.

I've used a couple, including the MPx Pocket PC, but the jury's out until I see the final devices.

All things considered, nice though a decent camera is, form factor is probably most important for me, after all, I have a decent digital camera already!

I'll of course review all the devices as soon as I get a final version, and we will be having a full online Q&A about each device, as we did with the E200...

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest midnight

theres certainly no harm in speculating though, would be a rather boring thread if everyone just kept quiet until the devices where released :D

Guest drblow

absolutely mid! with all this talk about the size of the C500, is anyone else concerned at the size of the keys? i could never use the wifes 8210 coz the keys were so small! Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest morpheus2702

Sure, and we can have the Beech Boys singing 'Would it be nice...' in the background. Move the thread to off-topic or start a new one called 'Mindless speculation' in Main.

This was like listening to a bunch of schoolgirls arguing about which boybands single was going to be the best, months before a note had been played, and then changing their minds every two minutes as another rumour broke.

Guest kyrkesmith

I disagree, because there are things we do know before the device is released, for example the dimensions amongst other things. And also, speculation is not off-topic at all really.

We know that the MPx220's got a better camera, and also that it will be shorter than the C500. Thicker, but shorter. The keys on it will almost certainly be easier to use because they're bigger. On these bases, the 220 wins in my book.

Guest morpheus2702

Very true, but consider what we don't know about these handsets:

a) Their build quality

:D The speed of their OS's in the real world

c) The stability of the OS's

d) How well Bluetooth is implemented

e) If T9 will be fixed

f) If there is a WMPlayer with FF and REW?!?

You see, everytime a new phone is announced it begins with a frenzy of 'ooohs' and 'ahhs' but later there's running... and screaming.

Why? Nothing to do with the way the devices look, or how big or small the phone is. It's about the things above. Remember when the E200 was announced around the same time as the MPx200. How we all wanted the E200 and how it was going to be the best thing in the world - ever?!?

And as for the facts we know... let's not forget that senior members of this forum guaranteed the E200 would have a 200MHz processor. With not even as much as a release date announced, people are evangleising about these phone like they know how they are going to be to live with in the real world.

Say the C500 turns out to be as small and compact as we hoping, yet has the build quality of a wet toilet roll? Would you be surprised, and then how would you feel about such sweeping statements about 'I'm swinging back to HTC from Moto' - x months before either device came out?

I for one would feel like a presumptive wobblebottom.

Guest zeta101

i think a lot of people are going to wait a while for the proper reviews of the c500 and the mpx's and also for the prices to drop a bit...we havent had this kind of choice before. Thats what ill be doing anyway!

btw, anyone noticed that the new homescreen seems to make use of partially transparent layers? and also the date/time bit has a kind of outer shadow to the text, and its also placed 'next' to the menu plugin...i wonder if the date/time is part of the menu plugin or i wonder if we can now place plugins next to each other rather than stacking them...probably the former id imagine.

Guest midnight

i did notice the time outline, thats a nice touch, i dont think its alongside the other menu, rather part of it, and the transpaerncy thing 'may' just be images, but we'll see (if anyone has a C500 for testing, can they send me the homescreen xml so i can have a look?) :D

edit: btw, you can actually make an outline around the time with the standard plugin by having several offset times, but that would slow the homescreen down slightly the more offsets you use

Guest zeta101

yeah i know about the outline thing, but what i was saying is that O have actually implemented this properly, rather than our sloppy way of doing it

Guest kyrkesmith

Physically, in my comparison pic at least, the keys look about the same size as the E200. However, what isn't there is the same gap between the keys. Still, that's just speculation, and I too would be interested to hear from anyone who's used one. Also regarding the physical usability of the directional button thingy.

Guest Jay3gsm
and ... the size of the keys? from someone who has actually handled one?  Posted from my SmartPhone!

The keys don't look any worse than you find on the 6600 tbh.

Guest Paul [MVP]

It's not so much the size of the keys more the feedback from them... the e200 has one of the nicest keypads i've ever used so i'm hopeful... as a speed texter - mailer it's important to me!

P

Guest Pagemakers
"]It's not so much the size of the keys more the feedback from them... the e200 has one of the nicest keypads i've ever used so i'm hopeful... as a speed texter - mailer it's important to me!

P

Interesting, for me it's one of the worst! Tiny buttons, hard to press with huge spaces between them. Give me a keyboard like the Samsung Matrix phone, MPX220, MPX100 every time. (I appreciate I am only guessing about the MPX quality but the Samsung is the best keypad I have ever used).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.