My e200's buttons stick! Help!

Guest Austin519

Guest namiran

this is so stupid! today my 4 button got stuck again! it had been working perfectly since thursday night and now this! :P i guess it didnt have anything to do with the hardreset...only luck :oops:

Guest namiran

what is even More stupid is that now its working again for no apparent reason...not that im complaining but its annoying to know you cant trust your phone =/ well...atleast its working again...for now...

Guest Austin519

So I sent an email in to Orange asking for help. They suggest I contact mail_in (at) htceurope.com to ask for repair help and here is the reply:

------------------------------

If you are in the US, it is not economical fro you to repair.

The cost for shipping back by FedEx, DHL will cost you 60 Pounds at

least. We are also charged by customs clearance, VAT, bank handling

charge etc at a cost for another 60 pounds.

Thus, i do no advise you to send it back for repair if u r in the US

------------------------------

Now...I don't believe that this is true. I've sent quite a few packages to the UK and I sure didn't have to spend 60 pounds to get it there. I also didn't have to spend 60 pounds in customs when it was a repair item. What do you all think. Think this is bullshit?

Austin519

the shipping charge is probably the highest service - prob next day air mail ultra fast, plus they would have to pay insurance on the parcel so i can belive teh high shigging charge, i cant however belive the high customs charge

Guest DancingMatt

My back/return key has been knackered for months. It's really odd - in an email, or text, or notes from a Contact (i.e. a big text field) then one click and it keeps going until I press something else. On the home screen, a menu, calendar page, anything else: it does nothing until I press something else, then the return happens (i.e. in a menu, to go back a screen I press back and then another key).

So it's as though it's being held down.

I spoke to Orange, they said they would courier me a replacement for free but it would be a refurbished one as I'm not entitled to a new one (had it for about 8 months). Since there's hardly a mark on mine I don't want some possibly tatty one instead. She also said if I take it to a shop they'll send it away... so I think I'll do that.

But I'm not the only one then?

DM

Guest RichieRich

Hey guys,

I had the same problem with my back button, and Orange wouldn't send it away for me, as I had no original proof of purchase (bought it on ebay), and they said they needed it to confirm that the phone was still within it's 1 year guarantee period. Now considering this phone (E200) was only released back in November, why wouldn't they believe that its still under a year old???? :roll: So I took matters into my own hands!

This product is covered by a years manufacturer's guarantee thus any problems with the phone that derive from or can be traced back to the manufacturer should be either repaired or replaced free of charge by the manufacturer. (I knew that A'level Law would come in handy sooner or later!! :P ) So I contacted HTC Europe directly (Just ask at any Orange store for the number) explained the problem to them, and was told to send my phone to them. I'm currently waiting for it to come back (got there on tuesday and they confirmed they're posting back tonight!), but it has just shown me how stupid and difficult some companies rules can be!!

But hey, hopefully I won't have to go through all of this again!!!!

Richie Rich :D

Guest shodanjr_gr

Hey rich, u got an email for HTC Europe? If i could save myself some $$, i would gladly go through the trouble of sending it over to them to get it replaced.

Guest jmcglynn

Tried twisting the phone to sort my sticky 4 key, and I broke the internal screen !!! Now is completely k***kered. Doh ! :-(

So watch out all, be gentle with the little fella when pulling it about !

Guest shodanjr_gr

So anyone who has tried repairing the fone, can you give me an estimate of the repair cost?

Furthermore, can anyone gime the link to the european site of HTC? I cant seem to be able to find it anywhere.

Guest zerosignull

thinkit may be a software bug. my return key somtime "stick's" when writing a sms or navigating through the program menu. however if i press another key while it's deleting my sms it will stop. if it was stuck i would think that after proseeing another key it would return to deleting my sms. try changing the key repeat settings if you can(think there is a optuion in setting somewhere). this may help reduce the occurence of "stuck key's" repeating

Guest cadburys man

Hi all,

I have got a similar problem on my E200. My joystick wont press down so as you can imagine it limits me as to what i can do with the damn thing. It is still under the 12 months manufacturers guarantee so i went into my local Orange shop and they gave me the number for HTC. I phoned them and after giving them my IMEI number they told me if i sent the phone back to them they would repair it and send it back to me.

If anyone needs the number it's 0871 2230217.

Hope this helps some of you ppl :wink:

Daz.

Guest gbsimpson

I can confirm that the problem is a hardware problem, and it not down to the phone - it is down the user! Okay so the phone is partly to blame for being slightly weak in structure under the '4' key.... The answer is simple - DON'T SIT ON THE PHONE! This is what is causing the problem, the weight of an adult sitting on a 130ish gram phone is always unadvisable, but in the case of the E200 it actually slightly bends the foil/metal around the circuitry on the keypad. Bending the phone can help but isn't recommended as the screen won't take much twisting before shattering. It will need taking apart and unbending from within. So keep the phone out of pockets when sitting down!

Greg.

my down button is only working now and then. can someone recommend a way of correcting this without bending or twisting the handset?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

• 2 weeks later...

sticky buttons and wierd/non-responsive joysticks are hardware problems/defects. my joystick became non-responsive 3 weeks after i bought the phone. went to the service center and the solder it back, but broke again within 3 weeks, and some buttons sticking (number 6 and reject call, the big-red-phone-handle marking one). i went back and they replace with new keypad + joysick, with no charges (guess it's still under the 1yr warrantee). now feels VERY nice.

maybe this baby is a little too fragile?? i put it in my trouser pocket with the screen side facing my lap. maybe that's the cause of the faulty joystick. now i just turn it around in my pocket. i have my fingers crossed......

Yeah quite agree - I too kept the phone in my trouser pocket. I think this IS the cause of the joystick going wrong. Obviously dont do it anymore, but will have to buy a case now i think !

Guest namiran

dont know if this is just a odd case but yesterday i opened up my e200 because of a problem with the sd card reader (the card got stuck in it and i had to force it out)...so i opened my e200 and to my surprise found that one screw on the left side of the phone (close to the 4 button) was missing...?!

okey so i bought my phone used, but it didnt look like it had been opened before...so i dont know if this could be the cause of my problem with the 4 button, since i have the Exact same problem as everybody else here...but anyways...just thought you wanna know :)

btw...i fixed the sd card reader problem

• 3 weeks later...
started ringing up and spoke to a guy, I just said that i had had the phone for just over 2 months, and half way through writing a text message it started to stick, he said give me your imea, since i was using the phone at the time i had to hang up and ring back, got through to a lady gave her imei then was offered the replacement phone via courier the same evening. Noughting was mentioned about any charge, unless i missed the delivery then I would be liable for the couriers fee's

update, yet againthe 4 key is sticking, rang orange yesterday while at work, they are going to send me another replacement handset... lady on phone said it they had a 9-1 delivery slot tomorrow(this was said on saturday) do orange use acourier that works sundays?

i am a bit anoyed as this is twice now ive had this happen, and i dont treat the phone harshly at all, it either lives in its cradle or my jacket pocket, anyone think I could request a different handset if it happened again or that just wishfull thinking

[edit]

10.55 and new phones here speaking to the courier guy, he was a one man business who sub contracts out to orange, really good service on oranges part aranging this as it cant be cheap for them!

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I also have the same problem and it's definately due to a software bug. What I did.

I reflash the ROM again and the problem is gone. When I fiddle with the power management feature to turn off the screen the problem come back. So I reflash the firmware again and the problem is gone, now i set the Screen Saver Mode to None. Hope it will work out well.

dont know if this is just a odd case but yesterday i opened up my e200 because of a problem with the sd card reader (the card got stuck in it and i had to force it out)...so i opened my e200 and to my surprise found that one screw on the left side of the phone (close to the 4 button) was missing...?!

okey so i bought my phone used, but it didnt look like it had been opened before...so i dont know if this could be the cause of my problem with the 4 button, since i have the Exact same problem as everybody else here...but anyways...just thought you wanna know ^_^

btw...i fixed the sd card reader problem

Can you tell me how you managed to open the E200? i cannot find any screws. thanks

Guest rohinsadh1

Same problem w/the back key....took the battery out, twisted a bit making sure not to put direct pressure on the screen....seems to have fixed the problem.....will confirm in a few days if it comes back or not....since it fixed the problem instantly after a twist it seems to be key pad problem not os or sw related....

Guest rohinsadh1

Bad news guys.....after twisting the phone it worked for a day - back key got unsticky...next day back to normal.

so i showed it to a cell phone engineer - who repairs them - he opened it and thought the bubble on top of the button on the pcb may hve got stuck....no joy....the button on the pcb itself has a problem of releasing the key back to normal state...according to him it is a hardware problem ](*,) ....feel like crying :lol:

i am thinking or rather hoping and praying tht if i upgrade the ROM it might solve the problem....hoping it is a software issue not hardware....as i got this phone is not launched here it comes w/o warranty....

Guest pamkenoz

hiya guys,i too have the problem with the number 4 key, my phone is the orange spve200 and i have updated the rom to the greek qtek 8080 rom (im in greece so there is no warranty for me anymore) anyhow after reading your posts, and trying everything i got so f*cking frastrated with the key getting stuck (i couldnt type anything cause of the key 4 bug as i call it) anyhow all i did was opened my sms input window and as usual after pressing 4 it started to repeat (4444444444 by itself) so i get pissed off and press the button down and held it there and WOW!!! its started to work! try it guys, just hold down (with strenght) the button that sticks and its might work for you too. im sure the problem will arrise again and i just hope the holding down the key trick works again for me, im getting really sick of hard reseting all the time (not that it solves the problem) anyhow guys hope i helped a little.

greetings from greece :lol:

Hi pamkeoz,

I tried your method and it works. I pressed the 4 button down with great strenght until i hear a clicking sound. Now i can type "hi" without resorting to fast pressing 4 and 2 button to give "ha" and delete the "a" and another fast pressing of 4 and 2 button to give me "ic" and delete the "c" to have "hi" in SMS anymore. Hope this hold up well.