WM 2003 for MPx200 no longer available

Guest lutzh

Guest shyne

i dont have an mpx200 YET. but wut does all this mean (from msmobiles website):

"After you have flashed the MPx200, just start flasher again and use the "MPX200_2003_LANG_UPDATE.img". @nonymus says: "DON'T FORGET TO HARDRESET AFTER FLASHING THIS UPDATE!" (Remove cable, hold "blue button" and turn device on. Answer "Yes" to the "Master Reset" question). Hardreset can take up to 5 minutes. So just be patient."

can someone explain the "flashing" and "hard resetting" etc.

id appreciate it

shyne

The OS for the phone is stored on a flash chip. To upgrade to WM2003, you have to flash the new rom in same way you flash a new bios on your motherboard. The phone is connected to a PC and a special program loads the new rom image to your phone. The WM2003 rom has three parts to it (at the moment). The main rom and two other updates for language and the GSM part of the rom. Having flashed the first image to your phone, a hard reset is required which puts all settings back to default. The hard reset is by holding the blue action button as you switch on and an option screen appears. The second two updates are then flashed followed by a hard reset each time. At this point you will have a new and fresh version of the os but with only default settings like a new install of Win XP.

Hope that helps.

the software is actualy made by IBM, called IBM javaman either way i wont be posting a link not getting in trouble here hehe...

If IBM had a publicly available file, IBM Javaman, this wouldn't be copyright by Mitac, would it?

Guest chudy

the java VM i have running on my mpx200 says NOTHING about mitac...

all i can find is IBM this and IBM that...

how can mitac have copyright laws to software that IBM wrote?! mitac at best has distribution rights with their phones and thats about it.

Guest coyspiracy

whoa :shock: . new 2003 rom .has anyone tried it yet??..before i reflash my phone to 2003. i need to know how much of an improvement it is

Guest shyne
shyne

The OS for the phone is stored on a flash chip. To upgrade to WM2003, you have to flash the new rom in same way you flash a new bios on your motherboard. The phone is connected to a PC and a special program loads the new rom image to your phone. The WM2003 rom has three parts to it (at the moment). The main rom and two other updates for language and the GSM part of the rom. Having flashed the first image to your phone, a http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset is required which puts all settings back to default. The http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset is by holding the blue action button as you switch on and an option screen appears. The second two updates are then flashed followed by a http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php?p=97945#97945>Hard Reset each time. At this point you will have a new and fresh version of the os but with only default settings like a new install of Win XP.

Hope that helps.

^^THANKS HELPED ALOT!

Guest chudy

so far so good....dont see any major changes, except from what was mentioned in the msmobiles.com news post...

its nice for those people who didnt want to mess with the german->english conversion or who didnt like the startup logo...

im pissed i tried it cause i lost all my freakin' emails and sms's...should of backed them up..got too excited about reflashing the phone...grrr :|

Guest Gavo09

Hi everyone!!

My MPX 200 is about 4 mths old and i really enjoy it. Now with the 2003 Winmobile. I can't wait to upgrade.

But, i'm still under warranty and i just wanna make sure it all turns out alright when i do the upgrade.

Just need some help here from there experts.

1) Can someone do a step by step guide to installing the new rom? And maybe explain what each file in the folder does? I briefly read the documents but am not technically inclined. so...

2) Can someone do a list of problems and necessary fixes? Read abit on mms problem, battery life, etc.

3) What are the notable changes besides the speed. Does the interface become like the one on the MPX220?

I find all the information here already essential and exceptionally good, but i think it would be good for us newbies for someone to compile the information so everyone can benefit from the superb info already here!!

Many thanks in advance!!

:P

Guest chudy

the included .doc file does a great job of explaining what needs to be done....

if after reading the forums and the .doc file you still dont feel comfortable doing the upgrade or dont understand the steps, i would advise against the upgrade...you could be better off having someone else doing it or holding off all together...

Guest AvWijk

Yes, I downloaded the 2nd version of @nymous' ROM with improved startup logo (at least!!) Anyone have noticed the diffrences and most of all;

if the sound 'bug' fixed now , and are all patches (like the GSM patch) in this version?

Guest metric

judging by the msmobiles post it appears to be the same 2002 hellomoto flower thing.

is there a way of keeping my text messages and settings intact? Apart from the cartman startup logo I've got this just the way I want it. Getting rid of that and keeping my customisations intact I'd be a very happy bunny indeed....

Guest abatis

Metric, Give Sprite Backup a try. It has a trial period and it is the best SmartPhone program you can buy in MHO.

Anyway, hats off @nonymous and Lutzh. When you push the edge you push everybody. Prost!

Guest cyph3r

ok im sure this has been asked but after 12 pages of reading ive yet to see these..

Ive got a At7T unlocked 200 on t-mobile in the states with 2k2 on it.

The internet and sms are working now.

my question is after 2k3 update will i have to get the phone reflashed and unlocked to use on t-mobile again?

also does this fix the mms problem? i cant receive any picture msgs..

last question, my buddy has the v500 and for his ringers hes able to use *.mp3 formats. hes not avalible right now and i cant figure out how he did it... anyone had any luck with real songs as ringers? maybe a differant format??

Thank you for reading =)

Guest abatis

Cypher,

Once your phone is carrier unlocked it is always unlocked (actually a different chip than the ROM). Therefore you can flash whatever ROM and still enjoy the superior service of T-Mobile.

Sorry on these 2003 ROMs, MMS is not there. You will have to use one of the 2002 generic or non-att ROMs to get MMS. If you like MMS the improvemens in 2003 are small compared to having MMS. I know Materna has developed a 2003 MMS client, but I think you would need one of the new Voq Professional phones or others to get it. I have the 2002 MMS cleint and it does not install on a 2003 OS.

By the way I flashed the latest @nony ROM on a spare Mpx200 and it works fine.

Guest metric

Used sprite backup on abatis's advice - backed up personal data only. Flashed to @nony's Super Moto 2, hard reset, restored from backup on SD, works a treat!

Good riddance to the Cartman (dude, it was weak :P ) startup, everything seems to be in order, except it didn't keep my data connection settings or things in the Deleted Items folder. Still no MMS. Overall a recommended upgrade.

Guest shyne

can someone who has ugraded to (2003 English version) give me detailed instructions, step by step, on how to upgrade to 2003 (english) from 2002? i would GREATLY appreciate it. i just bought an mpx and i am worried i might screw up! thanks

[email protected]

Guest metric

Here's how I did it.

Ingredients:

-Your ROM image (find it yourself, don't wanna upset the mods here)

-Something to install the image to your phone (often packed with the image)

-Something to unpack the distributed image (if your file ends in .rar)

-USB cable for connecting to the phone

-MPx200!

Preparation:

-You will lose all settings, customisations, and personal files on the phone. It's just like re-formatting your PC. Move or save the files stored on the phone's memore, if you wish to keep them.

-Make a note of your connection settings, voicemail number, and stuff like that. Likelihood is that your network-specific (i.e. wap) settings won't be pre-installed on the new image.

-The SD/MMC memory card will be unaffected by the process, so might be a good haven for the pictures, sounds, etc you have stored on your phone.

-Your calendar, contacts, and tasks will be kept on your PC if you sync using ActiveSync.

-A fully-charged battery is a good idea too.

-I recommend exiting all non-vital programs on your PC as they may upset the upgrade process.

Process:

1. Find and download the ROM image file.

2. If the file is a .rar, you will need something to unpack it. I recommend FilZip (www.filzip.com). Once that is installed you can double-click the RAR file you downloaded and choose to extract the files to a location of your choice.

3. Now is the time to unplug your phone and turn it off.

4. You will need access to the power button later so if you are using the cradle, remove the cable from the back of it, and plug it directly to the phone.

5. Hold the left direction key, and simultaneously power on your phone. You can release the left direction key once Windows makes a sound for a new USB device.

6. You have to install a new driver file, named smartfon.inf, so follow the Windows prompts, and choose the location of the file. This is packed with the rom image usually.

7. When Windows comes up with the bubble saying your new device is installed and ready to use, find and install the file named Motorola Mobile Upgrade Wizard (or similar). It is usually included with the ROM image. This is the tool you will use to transfer the new image to the phone.

8. Find and start the Wizard, clicking next until it detects the phone is already connected. Then you will be prompted to locate the image file. It usually ends with the .img extension, and is in the same location as the other files used so far.

9. Hit next and the progress bar will increase slowly. Your new image is being transferred to the phone. Heed the on-screen warnings - don't disturb the process!

10. All going well, you should get a message when the bar reaches 100% saying that you can now power on your phone. At this point, disconnect your phone, hold the ACTION (blue) button, and power on your phone. You see on the phone's display the start up image overlayed with the text "HARD RESET? YES NO". Choose the YES option.

11. After a few minutes, the reset process should be complete, and your new upgraded handset is ready to use.

Guest rcjian
Yes, I downloaded the 2nd version of @nymous' ROM with improved startup logo (at least!!) Anyone have noticed the diffrences and most of all;

if the sound 'bug' fixed now , and are all patches (like the GSM patch) in this version?

Hello there, where can I find the 2nd version AvWijk?

Guest DarkJedi

is it worth upgrade if u have the the original @non 2003 rom? i'd rather not have to redo all my settings. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest cyph3r

just did the upgrade and it wasnt hard at all. doesnt look like to much has changed but seems to run alot faster.

still cant figure out the ringtome chage yet.

was told the 2k3 would let you use wma as ringtones but i cant seem to figure it out

Guest Navec245

I have been trying like heck to hol down the left direction key and press the power button. My phone just boots. I also have the usb plug directly in the phone. What am I missing?

Guest metric

Leave your wma ringtones in /Storage/Application Data/Sounds/, you should then be able to select them from the Settings>Sounds menus.

HTH