Usefull tip to improve battery life

Guest beersoft

Guest beersoft

ok

this is the source of the tip i've been told

The Akku holds approx. 4-5 days with me.  If someone problems with the Akku to have should the following advice:  If SWITCHING off turns out, then completely load and following (fully loaded) a hard RESET accomplish (blue key when switching on on keep pressed;  "master RESETS = > YES").
the first/second/third and twelvety time i read that the "beersoft grammer tool" translated it into

my battery lasted 4 to 5 days, if you have problems with the phone switching off your should fully charge the battery, and when its fully charged do a hard reset

i don't know about you, but that looks to me like its advice on how to stop the phone turning off randomly not how to improve the battery life

later

Owen

"dressed in a spiffing flameproof monkey suit"

Guest lutzh

hm, what's the message here? i don't get it... please help.

edit - just found out that owen did a trip to our german board - hey, nice to see you there too!!!

cheers, lutz

Guest namiran

Hey...

i tried this trick and it hasnt done anything for my battery life =/ still down to 50% after 8 hours with about 1½ hour mp3 and a few sms... but my hard reset meny looked different from what you guys are talking about...mine was a menu with 1-8 numbers and nr 8 was "storage X" or something like that...did i do anything wrong? i have the latest i-mate rom

BUT!!! on the otherhand after doing the reset my 4 key has started responding!!! its great! finally i can write stuff that makes sence!!!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Guest monochrom13

Hi everyone, i'm a xphone user with the newest firmware(... and yes battery life still s*cks).

I did this by chance few weeks ago and it gave me a lot more battery life( usually 1day batt life to almost 2days per charge).

I remove my battery when fully charged (with the pc sync cable aka usb sync charger) with the phone at the on state.

(actually my phone hang while installing some software)

Strange after that my battery last a whole lot longer.

I'm not sure if its by any chance similar to the tip in this thread (what i did was just equivalent to a soft reset).

This simply doesn't make any sense. And yes, now both my batt last longer, so its got nothing to do with battery running in etc etc...

Anyone has any clue as what i did right??

~ now a happy user of the O2 Xphone ~

Guest midnight

For those asking about original SPV with Smartphone 2002, which I thought had a damaged battery cos i was getting around 40hrs max and..... you aint gonna beleive this......

120hrs gone and still have around 25% battery left

This is on full standby, phone not being used at all, and with radio off, only time its used is to check once a day the battery level. Done it under these conditions just to see if i can get anywhere near the originally reported (I think) 72 hours.

Guest Monolithix [MVP]

My original SPV back on the 1.3 update (this was a long way back... :P) managed 106 hours with the radio off, or there abouts.

Guest beersoft

congrat mid,

that is a world record

you win a cheese (of your choice)

it beats the 4.5 days i got out of my E100 i left in a draw for 4.5 days once

later

Owen

Guest markgamber

This is all fine and well but I'm not sure I get the point of having the battery last for days with the radio off. If all you want is a low end pda with a tiny screen, great, but I bought this to be a phone. How about some real life comparisons?

Guest midnight

how about i was doing it cos i wanted to?

as i said, my phone had a battery life of 48 hours beforehand (and that was also with radio off), so thats a significant improvement if you ask me.

Theres almost no such thing as a real life comparison, the phone losing signal takes battery power, you would have to play exactly the same music for exactly the same amount of time, you'd have to make exactly the same amount of calls, probably from the same location (low signal areas would take more power), you'd have to make sure you kept the backlight on for exactly the same amount of time, so how else can you make a true comparison between a before hard reset and after hard reset?

This phone is a development phone, it has a dummy sim in it, so this is how it is normally used.

Guest markgamber

Oh right, the reason a man does anything..."Because I can". :-D

I was just kind of curious because I've seen no difference at all in battery life in the 8390 but I haven't gone with the radio off, SD card removed, etc, because it's not an option.

Guest Toyota-F1.com
This is all fine and well but I'm not sure I get the point of having the battery last for days with the radio off. If all you want is a low end pda with a tiny screen, great, but I bought this to be a phone. How about some real life comparisons?

The reason it's done without radio is to see if there is a difference in battery life - having radio on will probably cause slight differences in results, because perhaps the network will look for a signal more often in one test than it does in another, thus drinking more battery power, therefore the situation in both test will be different.

Guest elhornet

Hah damn. Kinda pointless doing a battery life test like that thought isn't it!

Example :

My car can drive for 100,000kms on one tank of fuel....if the motor isn't running :P

Guest Toyota-F1.com
Hah damn. Kinda pointless doing a battery life test like that thought isn't it!

Example :  

My car can drive for 100,000kms on one tank of fuel....if the motor isn't running  :P

I have explained this above.

For goodness sake, does nobody understand what testing is :x

Guest FredrikRN

After I read this tip I thought "- What the heck, let's play!"

So I fully charged my battery to green LED and let the charger be attached for another 90 min or so before the hard reset. During my hard reset, the charger was still attached. All worked OK and the phone was working great. Battery life seemed to better. Then I let the phone be switched on until it switched off it self.

Back in the charger and when the green LED came up I let it be there for another 90 min or so. Second hard reset to come; still with charger attached. Successfull.

So then I started to use it as normal - for a while. I played Jawbreaker for about 30-45 min then I went to bed. Put the alarm on. At this stage I had no SD-card, BT nor GPRS enabled/inserted.

At 9 this morning when I got the office I inserted the SD-card, turned on BT and GPRS. In addition to that, I turned off the screen saver and kept the backlight on all time. So by doing this I thouhgt I'll try to use as much battery as possible. During this time i made a couple of dummy-calls (just to my land-line for a few minutes each) and also some browsing, playing games, captured a few pictures and a 30 sec video. Ringtone set on 'Vibrate and ring'.

All in all i guess I used the radio-unit of the phone for about 20 min excl GPRS-traffic.

Now @ 16:30 It just died - out of battery.

So that leave us with about 15 hrs of total operation and about 6 of those with basically all the gadgets on using as much bat as possible. I think that's quit OK to be a Qtek 8080.

I've only had the phone since a couple of days so my bat is fresh, but anyway... Can any of you tell me if this is normal bat life or it sounds better than standard?

I haven't done a proper "radio-off-test" since I wanted to see how it perfom else.

Valid question:

Does this tip really work???

Thanks in advance,

Fred

PS I kept the radio on all time and the ROM is the latest Qtek 1.9.14.1

Guest markgamber

I have explained this above.

For goodness sake, does nobody understand what testing is :x

Yeah, I think we all understand what testing is but other than "because I can", x hours of battery life on a brick doesn't do anything for anyone who actually uses their phone for something besides an expensive hobby. I get 4 hours of over-the-air video with the backlight on or about 8 hours of talk time before the battery takes a dive. Before I did a hard reset on a full battery, I got 4 hours of over-the-air video with the backlight on or about 8 hours of talk time before the battery took a dive. Subtracting one from the other yields zero difference. That's a test I can identify with.

Guest midnight

markgamber, its called a comparison test, and yes, its totally usefull....

under the same conditions, before hard reset and after...

48hrs before

173.5 after

that to me means that the battery life has increased by 3.6 times, meaning that the battery under normal use 'should' (and does approximately) last 3.6 times longer than it did before i hard reset.

i never said thats what you'll get under normal use, because normal use means nothing, my normal use figure will be different to your normal use figure. And two normal use figures will be completely different.

also, i was going for the record battery life on an SPV, how else am i supposed to do that without turning the radio off?

Guest markgamber

I can dig it, I'm just looking for something a little more practically useful so I can say "wow, that phone's much better than mine" or "I'd be hard pressed to get a smartphone with better battery life than mine" without having to shelve the phone for a week. I can't really say for certain that this charge/reset tip does anything if there's any kind of real load on the phone since it didn't do squat for me. All I really know is that the 8390 does better than an old Compal and an i600. Then again, so would a direct short across the battery which is why the Compal is in pieces on a shelf somewhere and my friends with i600's aren't talking to me. Or at least aren't talking to me for more than 10 minutes (heh). Good luck with the record, btw....I assume strapping a couple batteries in parallel doesn't count. ;-)

Guest LarsDK

It has been said before that normal use is an individual thing. The only true way of testing this is by turning the radio off, make a schedule for how often you would check the phone and do it with the same intervals. The ones that says they have x hours of talk probably doesnt know the exact amount of time and is just guessing i think.

The concern here is not how the phone works under "normal" use, but how long the batteri can last. So just let the talk about normal use be for now, because you cant compare to types of normal use from two phones which batteries are of a different quality and the normal use is different. The only thing you can get from a test is a before and after time for the battery for your phone alone. A battery of this type wears out like anything else, so there is not two phones that is exactly alike.

Guest SmugX

And I kind of guess that the inverse applies to this tip, as well - if you have low battery life when you hard reset, you will have a correspondingly poor battery life.

The reason I conclude this is that ever since I did the 1.6 upgrade on my original SPV (yes, that long ago), I've had a really poor battery life. I believe my phone wasn't very charged when I performed the upgrade.

If I charged the phone all day Friday at work, and took it off charge at 17:30, I would be really lucky if the phone lasted 24 hours. (That's with no gaming, no mp3ing, just a couple of calls and texts.)

I've had replacement batteries from O, but nothing made a difference.

UNTIL! I tried this tip - I charged all afternoon, then did a hard reset. (Possibly incidentally, my phone wouldn't hard reset - it would just lock up? So I re-applied the 1.6 upgrade, which I assume does that same kind of thing, and that worked.)

Now, my battery lasts all weekend and still has some charge left on Monday morning. My phone has a new lease of life!

(Someone should get this tip put into the O Support knowledgebase - it's really made a massive difference, whereas a new battery made an inperceptible difference to me).

Cheers,

Neil.