Headphones for MPx200

Guest greenwood

Guest Stitchy

hey, maybe im a little bit late. But when i put an simple preamp adaptor on the phone, the bass is back ! it's a little self made amplifier for an headphone uses a 9volt battery.

maybe this will work better.

because i think the capacitor is quiet low from the output from the mpx200.(0,33uf i think)

you can try apply the bass mod for the mpx200 or,

adding an external amplifier.

oh, and its stereo :)

thanks, ST.

Edited by Stitchy

• 3 months later...
Guest Rabbistone

Hi, bought cheap "Motorola" Copy Hands free kit from ebay, cost less than £3 delivered...

then bought a fantastic pair of sony inner ear headphones....

and butchered em....

Now have superb sound with plenty of bass.

Only 5 mins with soldering iron.

Guest toomuchdogfur
I'm afraid the Koss Plug won't get it any better. MPx200 has a crappy audio output with no bass at all :x

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

trust me, just about ANYTHING is an improvement over the crappy motorola earphones. i jammed a 2.5mm to 3.5mm convertor into there (only 3 contacts mind you, hence the $AUD2.99 tag from Jaycar), $15 sony earphones and they sound heaps better!

too bad it doesnt work properly, and anyway as you kinda said, its not realli worth forking out anything more than 10 dollars for the slight improvement over the moto earset.

• 1 month later...
Guest FiEsTaMaN

I buy a simply 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor and it works fine (it only have 3 parts). If you pluged fulled on, the sound only quit in the right headphone, but you can plug in not fulled and when you are satisfacted, you can put it a stop.

Guest shadowrtype

Has anyone ever tried the Palm Treo headphones? They use the 2.5mm connector. I had a Treo650 before and still have the headphones. I'm getting an old MPX200 this weekend and would like to know if they work. Here is a link to the ones I have:

http://web.palm.com/products/Product.jhtml...80018&cat=20023

If no one know, I'll post my results next week once I have the chance to try them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest shadowrtype
Has anyone ever tried the Palm Treo headphones?  They use the 2.5mm connector.  I had a Treo650 before and still have the headphones.  I'm getting an old MPX200 this weekend and would like to know if they work.  Here is a link to the ones I have:

http://web.palm.com/products/Product.jhtml...80018&cat=20023

If no one know, I'll post my results next week once I have the chance to try them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Treo headphones don't work. I only has sound on one side.

• 1 year later...
Guest monitorarm
I used the standard 2.5 mm (3 pole) plug and it works fine. It only needs some kind of "customization".

You cannot plug the jack fully as were listed above. Some people say this results in 2-way mono sound. They are NOT right - as MPX has 4 pole connector you will only "disable" the mic pole this way. After doing this it is good to isolate the top of the plug or you will hear some noise when the jack touches the "pole-slot" for mic (i used normal isolation sticker - be careful to fit it well or it can stuck in your phone).

Another problem is the right position of the plug - try it in different positions and then use the spacers for exact fitting. I have got the spacers the same hight like the half of 4th pole on the plug (it "replaces" the plug by one "mic" pole).

At the end I recognized the plug is moving out from the phone sometimes as it is not fitted properly by the "inner spring". I drilled my plug coating in the point it touches the "headphones slot cover" and connected it together.

The last thing you have to do is the registry edit like described in this topic (for bass sound enabled - it works without any problems):

..."HKey Local Machine -> Audio -> Softwaremixer -> and press the left top button for "Values" and viola.......the EnableLowPassFilter pops up. On default it's on 2 (I had it 1 on WM2003), so changing in on 0 makes a difference!"...

Finally I used the betaplayer with 10 band equalizer...

It works perfectly for me - the sound is not the best like from any professional CD player but it is sufficient and comparable with standard MP3 players...

PS: It is better to buy the 2.5 - 3.5 adapter from e-bay with 4 pole jack but I am from Czech rep. and so it makes me to much problems to get anything from US e-shops... I used the Hama 2.5 - 3.5 mm standard headphones adapter.

I've got to say, after owning an MPX and fighting the bass problem, there are 4 things you need to do:

1. the registry setting, explained above;

2. load TCPMP (aka betaplayer) and adjust the equaliser settings to the point of clipping - which means a smile with the bass end much higher than the treble, and take a lot of the mid-range out;

3. get a correct 4 pole 2.5 to 3.5 mm adaptor - even the Harrier headphones will do;

4. get some Koss Spark Plugs.

Then ...... audio heaven - the phone is now quite loud, and remarkable and leaves most MP3 players for dirt. it also then hass OK bass and fantastic stereo separation that verges on a quasi-3d effect.

However, if you get a VOQ, and do all the above, it's even better and louder, which helps battery life too!