Smart browser 0.1BETA (YES BETA!!!!)

Guest ultimasnake

Guest markgamber

I installed the cab because I had uninstalled it previously when the executable didn't work and didn't want to use up storage on something that wasn't being used. The phone in question is a Mitac Mio 8390 and no, it didn't work before either. Take your time, the phone isn't going anywhere.

Guest ultimasnake

Well i just got an answer from the OpenNETCF developers and they told me i could include the controlls through source removing the need for the cab file to be used !!! :P will enlargen the exe filesize though but it should be better then the cab install (which seems to fail allot)...

I will try to implent this now and publish a new version soon (with several other REALLY nice features and fixes :D)

Guest londonlad

Its looking good, i know its a liltle buggy right now but have you thought of what features you might give it?

:idea: I dont use PIE at all cos its too expensive, it downloads the whole webpage and then only displays what it can - thats just unnecessary, but orange must be loving it tho.

:idea: WAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant even view wap, it always goes to the webpage, do you think you'll be able to select between web and WAP?!?

:idea: Making use of the buttons - say 1 is to toggle the address bar on and off etc. oh the ability to toggle on and off the top (webpage name, battery, signal) and bottom (label for the buttons - fav and menu) - so webapge uses the whole screen.

:idea: I think someones done this feature - the ability to copy things off the webpage - jpegs, text, ringtones etc.

:idea: GPRS counter?

ummm... thats all i can think off right now, but that would make this replace PIE. im the idea man 8) im just coming with ideas that you might be able to put in.

Guest ultimasnake

Look that is the kind of response i was looking for..... i asked for features and you gave me some very nice ones already :D

Let's see.....

I dont use PIE at all cos its too expensive, it downloads the whole webpage and then only displays what it can - thats just unnecessary, but orange must be loving it tho.  
Yep this is one bad thing of IE , ofcourse you can turn off pictures but ok.. the problem with a webpage is that you can ofcourse only strip a page of the unesecairy items (like certain scripts etc) once you know they are in there and to do that you need to download the page first.... so that won't really be a can do i guess.... I did work on a php script which strips any page BEFORE sending it to a phone (http://www.roxa.nu/~ultimasoftware/cleaner3 won't work right now somehow but once i fixed the little bug you can give it a test run)

WAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cant even view wap, it always goes to the webpage, do you think you'll be able to select between web and WAP?!?  

Not sure but isn't this possible to change in the phone settings self? (saw something with wap :D).... but if not i will look into it :P

Making use of the buttons - say 1 is to toggle the address bar on and off etc. oh the ability to toggle on and off the top (webpage name, battery, signal) and bottom (label for the buttons - fav and menu) - so webapge uses the whole screen.  
At the moment you can hide/show the entire toolbar (addressbar,favorites button etc etc) with softkey 2(changed to softkey 1 in the new unreleased version)... the problem i have at the moment is that if it is TOTALY full screen you can't get the app to show up once it's hidden (by pressing the home key), i can't seem to capture the key nor can i check if the app is shown or not. The only bar shown in the comming versions is the titlebar (the bottom menu is never there) and the "Downloading..." text area only shows up when the program is loading/drawing a page you won't see it while viewing a page.

I think someones done this feature - the ability to copy things off the webpage - jpegs, text, ringtones etc.  

Not sure about the pictures and all but i am already working on a way to really download files like Zip/rar etc with a "download manager"

GPRS counter?  

That's a nice feature too, if I have any space left on the toolbar I might put it in there to view the current Downloaded amount of data.. I am also trying to work on a more propper looking Downloading bar like a percentage bar... (i hate waiting for a long time without seeing something to happen :D)

People take an example of Londonlad :D that's what I want to hear.. suggestions (and bugs etc ofcourse :lol:)

Guest ultimasnake

Pie = ie on the phone :D.. it's Pocket IE...

i did found it that it's based a little diffrent then PIE on the phone but it still doesn't support frames.. BUT maybe i can manage to make a frame like page of some sort.. like rebuild the page into a table instead of a frame (might be possible but will eat the bandwith :P....

Guest nedge2k

This is great! Nice work as always :P

I know the saving picture's thing was already mentioned but anyway...

:idea: A right-click, save-as style option. You could have a crosshair (like on the thunderhawk browser) and when you move it over a picture or link you can click to download to "my documents"

Also...

:idea: Zoom in/out function. Again like the thunderhawk browser with a crosshair so you can select where on the page you want to view.

:idea: Option to run all web pages through your html cleaner before viewing.

Guest nikjensie

Just installed and tried...

Very nice work, great looking interface and looks like it could really be something... a few things though:

1) Typing in www.google.com in the addressbar... now what? How do I actually go there???

2) Removing the iconbar would be a very nice option... actual fullscreen.

3) I would like the GPRS counter as well... very good idea...

That's it I think for now, the rest has been mentioned and I'm sure you have some ideas yourself. Keep at it though, looking good.

Best Regards

Nik

Guest ultimasnake
1) Typing in www.google.com in the addressbar... now what? How do I actually go there???  
You have to press enter (so joystick down).. but i already found a big bug with this, when you hold # and get the list of non alfabetic letters pressing enter there will also trigger the enter on the address bar :S.. so i think this will become softkey 2 (the key which will become multi functional).

2) Removing the iconbar would be a very nice option... actual fullscreen.  

I guess you are talking about the titlebar with stuff like Gprs icon the title etc?(since ofcourse you can hide the toolbar at any time by pressing softkey 1) :P...

Well the totaly full screen is just one big mess at the moment.

The problem with task managers is the fact they don't show the running applications but all read all forms (windows in non program language :D)

and checks them for a title if it has a title it is shown , even if i change the title to ""(so nothing) my app is already hidden from the managers.

Also a problem with fullscreen is the fact that the application can't come back once you went to the home screen(this of some ought bug or so with .net)..... I need a way to check when my form is hidden, but there is no way at the moment so up to then fullscreen browsing is stuck with the titlebar at top.

3) I would like the GPRS counter as well... very good idea

Yup i am having large problems with checking page size etc (even reading source)... but I will try to figure this out... even if i have to do it the hard way

and thanks on the good advise yet again.. this will be going on my Idea list :lol:

Guest nikjensie

Alright,

well, pushing Action-button in address-field gets me nowhere on a E200... Pressed and waited about 5 minutes... (I gather that you're supposed to get a "Downloading" status-field at the bottom) but nothing...

I have to admit though, the more I play around with the interface, the more I like it!

Nice work! Looking forward to the updates!

Nik

Guest ultimasnake

hehehe i thought i did respond :| didnt come through or something i guess...

well most are not known possible to me yet... but i guess i can at least try them ofcourse.... but I am also not known with the thunderhawk browser so i won't really know;)

also what do you guys think about the font size on the toolbar.. i think it's kinda small :S

Guest ultimasnake

So nikjensie

When you press enter after inserting an address you don't even get the loading bar? :S.. i am not totaly sure if a gprs connection is even made if there is non.. but it should at least show the loading bar... will look into this right away

Guest nikjensie

Tried again when I came home, sorry but now it seems to work. Don't know how come though since I did not do anything different this time... sorry if I caused you any trouble though.

Now, is there a way to access my Original PIE Favorites from this browser?

Nik

Guest londonlad
People take an example of Londonlad :D that's what I want to hear.. suggestions (and bugs etc ofcourse :lol:)

Yeah! 8) Look its in Bold as well! lol :P

Looks like its coming along quite well. keep up the good work!

PIE doesnt allow you to see WAP pages if the WAP page and web page have the same address (eg. O2 home page). The WAP settings that you mentioned are the gateway's that data is sent thro. So stupidly PIE allows webpages thro the WAP gateway.

Download Manager sounds good! Is it possible to implement a feature that allows you to carry on downloading where you left off from, say if a connection is broken. Come to think bout it, it prob might depend on the file on the website to allow this, i think? but i mean modaco could implement this.

GPRS Counter - I was thinking somewhere hidden in the menus is a feature that counts how many MB's are used. So lets say someone gets 10mb every month. An alert to let them know that they've used 10mb (what already!) would be a life saver.

Guest ultimasnake

@nikjensie

Tried again when I came home, sorry but now it seems to work. Don't know how come though since I did not do anything different this time... sorry if I caused you any trouble though.  
Hehehe that's ok , i decided to change the key that starts to load the page (because of the mentioned error before), it will be softkey 2 in the next version which will be the HOTKEY

Now, is there a way to access my Original PIE Favorites from this browser?  

At the moment Not yet... but trust me its in the plans :P even Pie history if it's for me :D

@londonlad

Download Manager sounds good! Is it possible to implement a feature that allows you to carry on downloading where you left off from, say if a connection is broken. Come to think bout it, it prob might depend on the file on the website to allow this, i think? but i mean modaco could implement this.  
I am still not working on the download manager since ofcourse the priority is to fix the main browsing at a certain level first.. but the download continuation would be grand

GPRS Counter - I was thinking somewhere hidden in the menus is a feature that counts how many MB's are used. So lets say someone gets 10mb every month. An alert to let them know that they've used 10mb (what already!) would be a life saver.

I think there will be a slight problem, Ofcourse I will be able to count the bandwith used by Smart browser, but i don't think I will be able to count data downloaded by other applications (or Sb should run in the background allll the time) so i don't think the warning thing could be done :lol:

Guest drblow

just to say that its working on my e200 for actually opening pages i type into the address bar! but the way it used to work (without needing to type www. etc) has stopped working. also, none of the buttons seem to work, like next/prev. page. but all in all a great looking start to what could be an excellent app! Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest ultimasnake

@drblow..

yeah the fast typing is turned off... but you used to type some pre programmed addresses and only they worked.. though there is no need to add http:// anyway :D...

the next and previous buttons are not funtional yet :P

Guest ultimasnake

Well just to keep you updated:

As we speak i am working hard on some fixes and new aditions...At the moment i managed to fix the Fast address bug and also am working on a correct way to display an url in the addressbar after clicking a link. Once that is fixed i will add some basic options like a way to change between mobile version of a page or the "real" version of the page (like modaco's smartphone version and modaco on a normal computer)..

I found out (or guess) that caching seems to work correctly (compared to Pie's cache problem). It doesnt seem that images that are already downloaded are downloaded again :P.. but this is a MAYBE.. i still need some correct ways to check this but who knows might be nice :D

Well if i managed those 2 things (the address and basic options) a new version will be online.. up to then... keep the suggestions and bugs comming :lol:

(btw check http://www.msmobiles.com/news.php/2861.html they just don't seem to get it yet :D)

Guest ultimasnake

Hehehehe sorry i have been very busy with work :S... i'm still working on one little thing then it will be up.. but that wont be till tommorow evening...

But progress is comming allong great, Nedge2k has been testing the latest beta and has seen (he said it hiself) loads of imporvements :P....

Some basic settings and loads of bug fixes are there already :D...

well you will all be hearing from me cya :lol: