Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Wooopppsss I just saw that info, I'll be able to try in 5 to 8 hours.... btw thanx for explaining to me that other emu virtual keypad lol.

All is working like a charm now !

I got a menu icon, installed on SD fine, etc ...

however the only timr i tried touchscreen didnt work

Guest mikeeey
All is working like a charm now !

I got a menu icon, installed on SD fine, etc ...

however the only timr i tried touchscreen didnt work

touchscreen worked for me, but of corse the htc screen bug slows the game down.

what device are you using?

Guest bitbank
I have a T-Mobile Dash and it runs faster than it should. I'm playing GBC zelda

Hi Mooman,

Not sure why you're seeing that problem. I don't have a Dash to test with, but if you have speed throttle checked in the settings, it should run at the correct rate.

Guest bitbank

New Build (0.37) is up. This build fixes the touchscreen controls to work on VGA devices and at all rotations. It also adds the volume control to the settings menu and saves/restores the volume correctly after each game.

www.bitbanksoftware.com/smartgear_ppc.exe

www.bitbanksoftware.com/smartgear_sp.exe

Enjoy,

Larry B.

Guest repuken2

Hello Larry,

i just registered SmartGear today, in fact a friend of mine Alejandro Blanco registred it for me as i don't have a Paypal account.

First of all i'm using a Dell Axim X5 Pocket Pc, 400 mhz Xscale (Pax250) on WM2003.

I found a bug: i load contra for the NES, it loads just fine. I quit the game and (without exiting the emulator) change the config, and then load Contra again, the screen is completely black, sometimes the game is running since i can hear the music but i can't see anything at all, completely black screen. Note that when i change config and quit the emu, next time i load Contra everything works fine. It doesn't seems to happen with other games.

Happened when changing orientation, screen size and even changing rapid fire attributes.

Also pc engine and master System games do not show anything if screen is set to 75% size, music plays so i know they're running but complete lack screen.

Consider all the above happened when in landscape mode ( rotation is 270°)

Those are not big troubles at all but i found something else that i think it should be taken care of:

1) The screen taps have some kind of delay between them, i mean let's say i'm playing some shooting game that requires fast response from the virtual buttons, like contra, 1943 (pce) or vigilante (pce) but i can fire only after a small delay has happened since the previous shoot/tap. It's quite noticeable on this kind of games. Imagine bubble bobble!!! (sms). :(

2) When in landscape mode the onscreen buttons are placed all across the bottom part of the screen as opposed to what the "touchscreen" dialog picture show, they should been on the left of the screen from top to bottom, they way they are makes some games hard to play since for example i'm playing contra and when i shoot or jump i'm hiding the character with my thumbs!!! so i miss hald the action and what's going on.

If these 2 would be fixed then this would be the perfect nes,gg,sms,gboy and pce emulator for pocket pc's, in fact i was looking for an emu that supports landscape and virtual buttons for this consoles, like Masterall's Picodrive and FinalBurn or No0p's Snes9x and i found SmartGear i liked it a lot.

The speed and sound in this emu is incredible and so are the quantity and quality of the options.

Great work overall Larry, i hope you can fix this issues and then that would be heaven for me. :D

Cheerz,

appreciate a lot your hard work!!!. :D

Guest bitbank
Hello Larry,

i just registered SmartGear today, in fact a friend of mine Alejandro Blanco registred it for me as i don't have a Paypal account.

First of all i'm using a Dell Axim X5 Pocket Pc, 400 mhz Xscale (Pax250) on WM2003.

I found a bug: i load contra for the NES, it loads just fine. I quit the game and (without exiting the emulator) change the config, and then load Contra again, the screen is completely black, sometimes the game is running since i can hear the music but i can't see anything at all, completely black screen. Note that when i change config and quit the emu, next time i load Contra everything works fine. It doesn't seems to happen with other games.

Happened when changing orientation, screen size and even changing rapid fire attributes.

Also pc engine and master System games do not show anything if screen is set to 75% size, music plays so i know they're running but complete lack screen.

Consider all the above happened when in landscape mode ( rotation is 270°)

Those are not big troubles at all but i found something else that i think it should be taken care of:

1) The screen taps have some kind of delay between them, i mean let's say i'm playing some shooting game that requires fast response from the virtual buttons, like contra, 1943 (pce) or vigilante (pce) but i can fire only after a small delay has happened since the previous shoot/tap. It's quite noticeable on this kind of games. Imagine bubble bobble!!! (sms). :(

2) When in landscape mode the onscreen buttons are placed all across the bottom part of the screen as opposed to what the "touchscreen" dialog picture show, they should been on the left of the screen from top to bottom, they way they are makes some games hard to play since for example i'm playing contra and when i shoot or jump i'm hiding the character with my thumbs!!! so i miss hald the action and what's going on.

If these 2 would be fixed then this would be the perfect nes,gg,sms,gboy and pce emulator for pocket pc's, in fact i was looking for an emu that supports landscape and virtual buttons for this consoles, like Masterall's Picodrive and FinalBurn or No0p's Snes9x and i found SmartGear i liked it a lot.

The speed and sound in this emu is incredible and so are the quantity and quality of the options.

Great work overall Larry, i hope you can fix this issues and then that would be heaven for me. :D

Cheerz,

appreciate a lot your hard work!!!. :D

Thanks for the bug report. The NES load problem I will try to take care of this week. The 75% display option does not support all rotation angles because it should be a rarely used option. I'll see if I have time to work on that. The slow touchscreen response is due to the Axim X5 firmware and the slow video memory of that device means that no game will run at full frame rate.

L.B.

Guest CharlyV
Thanks for the bug report. The NES load problem I will try to take care of this week. The 75% display option does not support all rotation angles because it should be a rarely used option. I'll see if I have time to work on that. The slow touchscreen response is due to the Axim X5 firmware and the slow video memory of that device means that no game will run at full frame rate.

L.B.

Confirm it, the slow touchscreen response is dependent of the hardware and touchscreen driver.

Edited by CharlyV

Guest repuken2
Confirm it, the slow touchscreen response is dependent of the hardware and touchscreen driver.

However i don't see such lag or slow response in any other emulator. Tried FinalBurn, No0p's PocketSnes, Picodrive, etc, everything responds just fine.

On the other hand all games i tried, nes, gameboy, sms, even pce, runs full speed with sound (tried only 11 khz) and frameskip 0.

Guest bitbank
hey bitbank so what about the missing mappers for NES? so far its great tho.

Mikeeey,

There are tons of mappers for the NES, many of which are only good for a single game. Please send me a list of mappers you would like to see implemented and I'll try to add them.

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
Mikeeey,

There are tons of mappers for the NES, many of which are only good for a single game. Please send me a list of mappers you would like to see implemented and I'll try to add them.

L.B.

*GI Joe - The Atlantis Factor Crashes after movie thing*

*Zelda 1 is distorted*

thats all ive really been able to find. if you could code these mappers i would be very happy!

what mappers does your emulator currently support? cuz here's a list of what masteralls supports:

http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-S...NesterPlus-0-9/

Guest mikeeey
See my NES Bible - I think I've also cross-posted it in one of the PPC forums here at MoDaCo. In there, I've thoroughly tested support for all the mappers.

im looking, but just cant seem to find it. ive found your articles talking about smartgear, but nothing about mappers =/

Guest CharlyV
im looking, but just cant seem to find it. ive found your articles talking about smartgear, but nothing about mappers =/

Maybe this one.

Merry Christmas to all !

Edited by CharlyV

Guest Menneisyys
oo your right, i didnt look that far down. thanks.

In general, it's the feature / comparison charts of my articles that have most info - after all, it's much easier to convey the same amount of information in a tabular, easily comparable form than in pure text, which is much more verbose and makes it very hard to compare different products.

Try imagine what would happen if I tried to explain the compatibility info in that chart without using chart, in plain text only :( My articles would be ten times longer...

Guest mikeeey
In general, it's the feature / comparison charts of my articles that have most info - after all, it's much easier to convey the same amount of information in a tabular, easily comparable form than in pure text, which is much more verbose and makes it very hard to compare different products.

Try imagine what would happen if I tried to explain the compatibility info in that chart without using chart, in plain text only :( My articles would be ten times longer...

haha and no one would have time to read through all of that. thankyou for the chart.

Guest repuken2

To Mr Bitbank:

I've noticed something weird about the onscreen controls (tap areas) regarding the issues i reported to you previously about the delays / lags between taps : if you tap at a certain point and then tap again at the very same point there will be the aforementioned lag but if you first tap in ceratin point and then tap in a slightly different point it will respond ok, no lag or delay. So it maight be a bug in the code ???

something like

if( previous(tap_point_x = Xo) && (tap_point_y = Yo) == later(tap_point_x = Xo) && (tap_point_y = Yo))

lag

else

if( previous(tap_point_x = Xo) && (tap_point_y = Yo) != later(tap_point_x = Xo) && (tap_point_y = Yo))

NO LAG !!!

Cheerz, Peace!! & Merry Christmass!

Guest mikeeey

bitbank i think there still is the clicking sound, but im not sure. it seems like when i play a game and there is a sound playing i can hear the clicking sound. but only while a sound is played, during silence there's nothing. has anyone else noticed this?

Guest jmacdonald801
bitbank i think there still is the clicking sound, but im not sure. it seems like when i play a game and there is a sound playing i can hear the clicking sound. but only while a sound is played, during silence there's nothing. has anyone else noticed this?

Yes I have experienced this too. It's not the same clicking sound that was an issue earlier, it's more like it's skipping.

If exit your rom, and file open it again, the sound should start playing smoothly. Don't ask me why, but that's how it's always worked for me on my Tilt. You can also use this technique to get 8-bit sound to play without clicking.

If you have your systems sounds turned off, this trick won't work. It has something to do with the Tilt re-initializing it's sound during a system event. When I press File/Open in Smartgear, system sounds are played to indicate the menu activation. I believe this has something to do with why the sound starts to work correctly the second time you open your rom.

Sounds odd, but if you can get your sound to work this way, at least it won't be just me having this strange issue. Try it with 16-bit sound turned off first. With 16-bit sound on, the skipping is a little faint, but with regular 8-bit sound it makes a quite obnoxious sound and is a lot more apparent. Either sound mode should be fixed by this trick.

I understand HTC does something different with their sound (as opposed to other manufacturers), but it's odd that other apps (not Smartgear) seam to be immune to this sound issue.

-James

Guest jmacdonald801
didnt work for me...let me make sure i have this right..

open rom.

pause rom.

exit game.

open rom.

sound should work?

i did that and it still clicks.

Do you have your system sound turned on, so that when you do a File/Open you here the windows mobile sound effects for opening a menu?

I believe you can re-enable them in Sound & Notifications.

You have the method down right as far as I can tell. It may not work on the first try. System sound effects definitely have to be enabled.

-James

Edited by jmacdonald801

Guest bitbank
Do you have your system sound turned on, so that when you do a File/Open you here the windows mobile sound effects for opening a menu?

I believe you can re-enable them in Sound & Notifications.

You have the method down right as far as I can tell. It may not work on the first try. System sound effects definitely have to be enabled.

-James

I will revisit the sound issues soon. I've been working on cleaning up NES support. I've added a bunch of mappers and fixed others. I'm also going to fix the NES save/load code once and for all. This should not affect existing saved games, but if it does I'll let you know.

So far I've added mappers 9,10,11,69,71 and made a structural change which fixes various games. For games which swap out the entire ROM area (32K banks), this caused a problem with my previous code because on the write to the mapper, the code at the current PC has changed. My 6502 uses a "segment" pointer to speed things up with banked memory. The fix was to update the segment pointer after every write to a mapper handler.

I will definitely post a new build this week, but I'm not sure exactly when. I'll keep you posted...

L.B.