Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest smwoodcrafts
I'll try to recreate the problem. Have you tried playing it on the Desktop PC? Does it give the same results?

L.B.

I tried to use th Desktop version. How do you un-pause a game?

smwoodcrafts

Guest bitbank

Not a big news item, but I did fix a problem that's been sitting out there for a while. The GBC code wasn't respecting the "max of 10 sprites per line" rule, so I coded a solution which shouldn't affect performance much and it works well. Now games like "Action Man" will display correctly. Here's a link showing the previous problem:

KiGB compabibility chart with images

L.B.

Guest asrrin29

I downloaded the trial version of this software after a dozen failed attempts to find a GB emulator to work on my new i-mate SPL smartphone. I have to say this works perfectly for me, even the sound, wich I was really surprised! I've made the paypal payment, as I beleive in a reward for such good work (and it a good price) and am eagerly awaiting my registration to that I can play all my favorite gameboy games.

One feature I'd like to see, is a GBA emulator added as well. I've heard that smartphones don't have the CPU power to make a decent emulator, but I own an OLD sharp zaurus PDA that has a 233mhz proccessor that can play GNUboy advanced games just fine. with all the optimizations you've made to make GB and GBC games run at 100% even with sound turned on is amazing, and I'm sure you could make a decent GBA emulator as well.

Guest asrrin29

So I absolutly love this emulator. but I do notice a few things, they don't ruin my gameplay experience at all, but I thought I should let bitbank know if any bugs are found.

The first one occurs in the graphics rendering. When playing pokemon (specifically red and gold so far) roms when a battle occurs the enemy will for a split second render at the bottom right corner of the screen as the enemy graphic slides across the top of the screen. It does not hinder gameplay in anyway, but I thought you'd like to know.

the second is an issue I don't know that can be addressed or not, but the sound renders perfectly with no lag time, but if the game is paused and another program (such as the calling service or the internet) is loaded and later closed, the sound will have severe performance issues until the rom is restarted. Not a big deal, but again, thought you'd like to know.

as for my hardware, I use an i-mate SPL running Windows Mobile 6.0 Smartphone Edition. it has a 200mhz ARM processor in it.

Oh, and I also have a feature request. Would it be possible to add a gameshark style hex editor?

EDIT: I found a way to hex edit some ROM files, so now I would like to know if it is possible to have support for a real-time clock? some games depend on the realtime clock and it would be helpful to have support for it.

Edited by asrrin29

Guest bitbank
So I absolutly love this emulator. but I do notice a few things, they don't ruin my gameplay experience at all, but I thought I should let bitbank know if any bugs are found.

The first one occurs in the graphics rendering. When playing pokemon (specifically red and gold so far) roms when a battle occurs the enemy will for a split second render at the bottom right corner of the screen as the enemy graphic slides across the top of the screen. It does not hinder gameplay in anyway, but I thought you'd like to know.

the second is an issue I don't know that can be addressed or not, but the sound renders perfectly with no lag time, but if the game is paused and another program (such as the calling service or the internet) is loaded and later closed, the sound will have severe performance issues until the rom is restarted. Not a big deal, but again, thought you'd like to know.

as for my hardware, I use an i-mate SPL running Windows Mobile 6.0 Smartphone Edition. it has a 200mhz ARM processor in it.

Oh, and I also have a feature request. Would it be possible to add a gameshark style hex editor?

EDIT: I found a way to hex edit some ROM files, so now I would like to know if it is possible to have support for a real-time clock? some games depend on the realtime clock and it would be helpful to have support for it.

Asrrin29,

I'll check into the sprite drawing issue; it sounds like something easy to fix. The sound issue has been harder to figure out. It will probably require a complete rewrite of my sound engine. This bothers me quite a bit and will continue to research how to fix the sound.

Guest bitbank

I've gotten many requests for SNES/GBA support and now for GameShark codes.

How many people would use Game Genie / GameShark codes? This doesn't appear to be too difficult to add.

I've written a SNES emulator that's in pretty bad shape. I'm willing to add it to SmartGear and move forward on development with the understanding that it was written with only my code from information I found on the internet and it's compatibility and speed are currently terrible and bad. I don't want to get people's hopes up and don't want to be hounded about it. I'll look into integrating it into SmartGear later this week.

L.B.

Guest asrrin29

I would love to see a GBA and SNES emulator for the smartphone. As for Gameshark/Genie codes, I could use them too, unless there was a way to convert your save files into another emulator format and back so I could use savefile hacks.

I'd personally be willing to help you beta test any code you add to help work out kinks.

Guest PolloLoco

GBA and SNES emulators would be awesome. Unfortunately, I think you might get a lot of undeserved criticism if you posted a rough SNES emulator right now. I'd understand, however, and would be glad to try it.

I've been looking for a great GBA emulator for a while now - and the one that by far comes the closest is pocketgba at sunbug.net. I'm not sure if the source code has been posted. In the forum poll, I listed GBA as my number one request. Good luck if you decide to take on this endeavor.

Guest mikeeey

guys keep in mind he didnt say he was making a GBA emulator, as it was only a request, but he says he has started a SNES emulator. i do look forward to it, just excited that it is compatible.

Guest bitbank

Are there any people still using pre-2003 devices (e.g. SP2002 or Pocket PC 2000)? The reason I ask is because if there are still a good number of people using older devices, I'll release a SmartGear build which will run on them.

L.B.

I would love to see an SNES emulation module, no matter the shape. Please proceed! :) The quality of SmartGear overall outstrips other things for our platform, so even a "bad SNES" will probably be better than some of the other, older SNES emulation packages out there.

I've gotten many requests for SNES/GBA support and now for GameShark codes.

How many people would use Game Genie / GameShark codes? This doesn't appear to be too difficult to add.

I've written a SNES emulator that's in pretty bad shape. I'm willing to add it to SmartGear and move forward on development with the understanding that it was written with only my code from information I found on the internet and it's compatibility and speed are currently terrible and bad. I don't want to get people's hopes up and don't want to be hounded about it. I'll look into integrating it into SmartGear later this week.

L.B.

hello, first of all I really like your emulator. the "one ring to rule them all" aspect of it is absolutely amazing. I intend on buying as soon as I get a paypal thingy set up. second, on your page you say if anyone has any suggested things to emulate to let you know, well I would LOVE to see the C64 emulated... I got my first computer, a C64, from my dad when I was 8 and I can still remember playing toy bizarre till all hours of the night... anyways that’s my request, I'm sure its one of few if not the only for it but it doesn't hurt to ask right... ok well keep up the super work. :)

Edit: after playing with smartgear for a bit I have a couple suggestions. first, the ability to choose the save directory would be great. second, an ability to link rom files with smartgear would be nice too, so I could just select a rom from file explorer or something similar and it would load right up. third, if linking files to smartgear isn't an option the ability to "jump to" roms starting with letter "x" when button "x" is pressed would be great, for instance say I have like 700 nes roms and I want to play "Super Public Domain Game" currently I would have to hold down for a very very long time, if you use the "jump to" thingy I could just press "s" and then tada I'm at the roms starting with "s". Oh and lastly I noticed a slight bug, I'm using a blackjack (sgh-i607) and under the settings where the volume is listed it goes off the edge of the screen, all you can see is "Volume: 1" then the rest is cut off.

@Menneisyys: well there is also a nes emulator out there already... but I think I like this one better. I like having just one emulator being able to do it all...

Edited by godan

Guest Menneisyys
hello, first of all I really like your emulator. the "one ring to rule them all" aspect of it is absolutely amazing. I intend on buying as soon as I get a paypal thingy set up. second, on your page you say if anyone has any suggested things to emulate to let you know, well I would LOVE to see the C64 emulated... I got my first computer, a C64, from my dad when I was 8 and I can still remember playing toy bizarre till all hours of the night... anyways that’s my request, I'm sure its one of few if not the only for it but it doesn't hurt to ask right... ok well keep up the super work. :)

I don't think it's worth bothering: PocketCommodore64 already does what you want... (read my related Bible). We'd prefer something that has little support on WinMobile; for example, decent (!) SNES emulation.

NONE of the current SNES emulators are capable of flawless emulation, particularly sound-wise. Knowng the technical expertise of the Bitbank folks, I'm pretty sure he's able to produce something SUBSTANTIALLY better. Just make sure you PayPal him.

Guest bitbank
I would cast my vote for GBA before SNES, but either would be great!

SNES is coming first since I have the emulator mostly written.

As far as current status... I've integrated the SNES code into SmartGear, but it's painfully slow. I'll be working on optimizing it this weekend. When I can get it to at least 20fps on 195Mhz devices, I'll release it to the public.

I'm also going to look into the various bugs and feature suggestions that have been reported. I agree with the feature request of control and option settings per system. It won't cause me much work, but it might cause a little confusion for new users.

L.B.

Guest mikeeey

bitbank its very strange that at once point (perhaps the earlier versions like anything below .20) there was no sound clicking, but now it's a problem your not sure of. have you re-writen any sound code since your earlier versions?

Guest jmacdonald801
bitbank its very strange that at once point (perhaps the earlier versions like anything below .20) there was no sound clicking, but now it's a problem your not sure of. have you re-writen any sound code since your earlier versions?

Maybe it was always there (on the Tilt) but you failed to notice it until I started complaining lol.

I don't remember what version I started with, but it has always been an issue.

When I get a moment, I'm going to try smartgear on my windows mobile 6.1 rom and see if there is any difference.

-James

Guest mikeeey
Maybe it was always there (on the Tilt) but you failed to notice it until I started complaining lol.

I don't remember what version I started with, but it has always been an issue.

When I get a moment, I'm going to try smartgear on my windows mobile 6.1 rom and see if there is any difference.

-James

or perhaps it was cause the older versions I would use on my sda.

i guess we need a user with an older phone to tell us if they experience the clicking noise.

Guest metalgearray

im sorry if you've already addressed this, but the RTC for pokemon isnt working for me. it stays at the same time that i put in at the beginning of the game. thanks for all your support on this emulator!

Guest bitbank
im sorry if you've already addressed this, but the RTC for pokemon isnt working for me. it stays at the same time that i put in at the beginning of the game. thanks for all your support on this emulator!

I'll see if I can look at this during this week. Lots of projects to do and never enough time.

For a status update, I'm still working on the SNES code and I've decided to release the Desktop PC version so that you can start playing with it (probably by tomorrow). The WinCE version is still too slow. To remedy that, I'm writing the 65816 and SPC700 emulators in ARM assembly language. As you can probably guess, this is a big undertaking and will probably take a great deal of time to get working correctly. Once working, I should have the fastest SNES emulator out there. Since I don't have tons of spare time and the SNES code is not in the greatest shape, I may just release the source code for the truly brave to improve upon it. I would retain the ARM asm version as trade secret, but release the C code to the public domain. Thoughts?

Thanks,

L.B.