Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest CharlyV

Maybe the better way is to optimize the current emulators for the different platforms ?

Like to have a bigger game compatibility (more mappers, Famicom Disk System, ...), better sound etc.

Also you can add a player for the console/handheld music (.NSF, .GBS, .HES, VGM ... sound formats).

Edited by CharlyV

Guest Menneisyys
To remedy that, I'm writing the 65816 and SPC700 emulators in ARM assembly language. As you can probably guess, this is a big undertaking and will probably take a great deal of time to get working correctly. Once working, I should have the fastest SNES emulator out there.

Wowz! Great! Hope you'll succeed in this! Let me know if you really start working on this so that I can give you more publicity!

Guest Menneisyys
Like to have a bigger game compatibility (more mappers, Famicom Disk System, ...), better sound etc.

Yup - but also take into account that there isn't really a *usable*, 100% working SNES emulator for WinMo (if you enable sound, that is). And SNES games are, in general, far better than NES ones in every respect. All in all, if writing the SNES code in ARM assy takes the same amount of time as adding more NES mappers, I'd vote for concentrating on SNES emulation. After all, Larry is a very decent asm programmer and I'm absolutely sure his SNES emulator engine would be really great.

Guest mikeeey

bitbank if you've seen the poll I made, SNES is the 2nd most wanted emulator for windows mobile. If you can manage to make your SNES emulation the fastest out there like you say, im sure youl get a lot of people buying your product.

also you can see GBA is the most wanted, same goes for that.

http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-S...you-wanna-see-/

Guest bitbank

I'm moving forward on my SmartGear SNES addition. the ARM 65816 is coming along nicely and should by really kick-ass when finished. I'm not sure if I'll need to write the SPC700 in ARM code, but we'll see when I start doing performance testing. I'm sorry about the delay in releasing the new code; I've been trying to figure out a NES graphics bug. I've actually sped up the ARM 6502 (NES) code a bit more and will see if there are other areas for improvement.

I've also made good progress on my ARM SN76496 emulator. This particular code didn't really need "The treatment", but I thought it would be a fun exercise to start rewriting all of the stable modules into ARM asm and release some of them to the public domain.

I would like to do GBA emulation eventually, but there's no room in my schedule at the moment. The SNES code was written a while back for a contract job, but I didn't get it to a good enough quality level to ship. It will probably never be perfect, but I intend to get it running well on slow devices (with sound) for the games that do work.

Also, over the last couple of days I tried an experiment with ClickGamer and let them promote SmartGear in their newsletter and have a 48-hour, 50% off promotion. Sales certainly increased, but it didn't really show if it's an issue of promoting the product or price sensitivity. What's the general opinion out there about the price? For my own spending habits, I feel that $10 for a Desktop PC + Pocket PC + SmartPhone version with unlimited upgrades is pretty fair. Does anyone think the low price cheapens the product? Is there anyone on the fence about buying it and would make the plunge if it cost less?

Thanks,

L.B.

Guest rushmore

Please add mapper #23

Crysis Force on the NES is a good shooter that uses that mapper. Phone (Dash) locks up when trying to play this.

Edited by rushmore

Guest rushmore
I'm moving forward on my SmartGear SNES addition. the ARM 65816 is coming along nicely and should by really kick-ass when finished. I'm not sure if I'll need to write the SPC700 in ARM code, but we'll see when I start doing performance testing. I'm sorry about the delay in releasing the new code; I've been trying to figure out a NES graphics bug. I've actually sped up the ARM 6502 (NES) code a bit more and will see if there are other areas for improvement.

I've also made good progress on my ARM SN76496 emulator. This particular code didn't really need "The treatment", but I thought it would be a fun exercise to start rewriting all of the stable modules into ARM asm and release some of them to the public domain.

I would like to do GBA emulation eventually, but there's no room in my schedule at the moment. The SNES code was written a while back for a contract job, but I didn't get it to a good enough quality level to ship. It will probably never be perfect, but I intend to get it running well on slow devices (with sound) for the games that do work.

Also, over the last couple of days I tried an experiment with ClickGamer and let them promote SmartGear in their newsletter and have a 48-hour, 50% off promotion. Sales certainly increased, but it didn't really show if it's an issue of promoting the product or price sensitivity. What's the general opinion out there about the price? For my own spending habits, I feel that $10 for a Desktop PC + Pocket PC + SmartPhone version with unlimited upgrades is pretty fair. Does anyone think the low price cheapens the product? Is there anyone on the fence about buying it and would make the plunge if it cost less?

Thanks,

L.B.

-Your current price is low enough (if not too low). It is an AMAZING program and a bargain already.

-Now, if you could add mapper #23 so Crysis Force works, I will be happy (not that my happiness matters, of course)

-Have you thought of ever adding Neo Pocket? A lot of great games on it and two classic Metal Slug games.

Guest rushmore

Sorry for being a rube and asking another question, but could you please also have an option of a cab file to intall? Sometimes if I am out of town / away from my computer and only have my phone, it would be handy to be able to download and install without the need of a PC.

Thanks

Guest bitbank
Please add mapper #23

Crysis Force on the NES is a good shooter that uses that mapper. Phone (Dash) locks up when trying to play this.

Mapper 23 is pretty simple. I added it and it seems to work fine. It will appear in the next release (0.41).

I've looked at Neo Geo Pocket and it's not a big improvement over GameBoy/GameGear. For the few unique games available, it will require me to write a new CPU emulator which can take many hours. This is not the best use of my time.

L.B.

Edited by bitbank

Guest rushmore
Mapper 23 is pretty simple. I added it and it seems to work fine. It will appear in the next release (0.41).

I've looked at Neo Geo Pocket and it's not a big improvement over GameBoy/GameGear. For the few unique games available, it will require me to write a new CPU emulator which can take many hours. This is not the best use of my time.

L.B.

Understood!

I notice that for some reason, Blades of Steel (NES) stutters when players make contact. Best way to describe it is the whole screen shakes. I know for one game it might not be worth the time, but it is a great game.....

If you do not have time, I undertand. Looking forward to the SNES addition and I am a proud registered owner of Smartgear.

Edited by rushmore

Guest metalgearray

Thanks,

L.B.

The price is more than reasonable. I'm not sure what other people think, but I would have paid 30 or 40 dollars, as I have a 2 hour break between my college classes, and SmartGear helps me pass the time.

Guest thelostsoul

Hey, I LOVE this app! If you can only buy one game for your phone, getting this is so much better then getting any other native WM game!

Just one thing I noticed is that auto save for sega genesis games doesn't work. Notably for Sonic 3D and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (haven't tried any others).

Keep up the nice work!

EDIT: Just read your question about price. It's a very good price, and the fact that it has a trial version available also means that it doesn't matter if the price gives an image of "cheapness"; that said, you could probably up the price slightly and not see sales go down too much, but I wouldn't recommend upping it too much. One thing to consider is people aren't too willing to spend much for a mobile application, generally speaking.

But back on the image of cheapness, your website could use a little work. Looking at the Smartgear page here:

http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/SmartGear.html

It looks like your average freeware, beta, side-project site. I wouldn't mind helping you with that if you'd like as I just finished my Graphic Design course and am now in Web Publishing...two things I kinda enjoy...let me know...

Lastly, it's version 0.40....people like my brother refuse to buy beta products. Listing it as a version <1 indicates it's an unfinished, possibly untested product to the average consumer. Maybe after you get SNES emulation and have several users confirm it's working stably, you might want to bump the version to 1.0.

Hope you don't take any of that the wrong way, just trying to provide you with an honest answer to your question and some constructive criticism.

Edited by thelostsoul

hi larry,

just a bug report, yes 10.00 is a very good price for the emulator and all its extra features, in some nes games the save feature sometimes will not work such as goonies 2 game. but the save function atter you exit game works thought.

in gameboy game such as kid icarus, the exit save feature wont work but the save slots (5 avialable) will work fine.

Guest rushmore

I am not shy, so also not afraid to be pointed out as a rube. I did not know Smartgear played Genesis games and I have been using the emu for a long time. Though some games do not work, a lot of the ones that do, play well.

I would rather Larry focus on improving the Genesis core first, then work on SNES. There are a ton of great games on it of which some work and some do not. Based on hardware, I can see the Genesis games working better than SNES. No custom chips in the Genesis to deal with, "just" 68000 and Z80 chips. I quoted "just" because it is obviously more involved than that.

I am still amazed how well the Turbografx / PC engine stuff works.

Edited by rushmore

Guest bitbank
I am not shy, so also not afraid to be pointed out as a rube. I did not know Smartgear played Genesis games and I have been using the emu for a long time. Though some games do not work, a lot of the ones that do, play well.

I would rather Larry focus on improving the Genesis core first, then work on SNES. There are a ton of great games on it of which some work and some do not. Based on hardware, I can see the Genesis games working better than SNES. No custom chips in the Genesis to deal with, "just" 68000 and Z80 chips. I quoted "just" because it is obviously more involved than that.

I am still amazed how well the Turbografx / PC engine stuff works.

You're right that Genesis needs some more TLC. I will be looking at it in parallel with the SNES.

The reason the TG16 works so well is that I wrote the huc6280 (it's CPU) in highly optimized ARM assembly language. I guess this is something that other emulator authors were not willing to do. I'm in the middle of doing that for the SNES, so when I'm finished it should run quite well also.

L.B.

Guest rushmore
You're right that Genesis needs some more TLC. I will be looking at it in parallel with the SNES.

The reason the TG16 works so well is that I wrote the huc6280 (it's CPU) in highly optimized ARM assembly language. I guess this is something that other emulator authors were not willing to do. I'm in the middle of doing that for the SNES, so when I'm finished it should run quite well also.

L.B.

Any idea of a timeframe? I am also looking forward to mapper #23 being in the new version, since Crysis Force will then work. Any ideas on why Blades of Steel for the NES gets a real shakey screen when sprites touch each other?

Gotta love the TG16. This system proves the 6502 cpu had some legs on it!

Was the graphics the 6280? I think it had and 8 bit (6502C) and a 16 bit (6280?).

Edited by rushmore

Guest Curious D

For my own spending habits, I feel that $10 for a Desktop PC + Pocket PC + SmartPhone version with unlimited upgrades is pretty fair. Does anyone think the low price cheapens the product? Is there anyone on the fence about buying it and would make the plunge if it cost less?

Thanks,

L.B.

I think it depends on what you can get for that price. $10 for software won't break anyone's back since anyone who is interested has a device (computer or PDA phone) that had a higher cost. Considering your target consumer (probably uses PDA phones and computers more than the casual user) is probable aware of freeware alternatives for some of the systems emulated by SmartGear, the question is whether you can effectively communicate that your product has an advantage (aside from being an all-in-one emulator) over these alternatives. For myself, I'm looking for a SNES emulator and a MAME emulator that will run well on my 8125. Yes, there are freeware alternatives, but they do not seem to run well even with overclocking to 273 MHz. I'll be keeping an eye on this program and a review from Menneisyys. By the way, does your Gameboy Color support SuperGameboy with its color emulation and frames? Thanks.

Best to you in your efforts on this program.

Guest rushmore

Any gamer with a trace of tech appreciation (have to- to get roms on phone) would understand the merit of Smartgear. For the TG16 emu alone, it is worth $10- again, if you are a gamer. Factor in GG, MS, GB, GBC, Genesis (kind of) and NES and you have a ridiculous deal. People have already hit on issues. A better homepage that highlights what it does, along with screenshots of games and more exposure with sites that sell mobile software.

I already paid my $10, but will pay $10 again out of appreciation, once the Genesis and SNES are implemented. And of course mapper #23 :) . This emu platform is amazing to me and I am a game and tech geek.

Edited by rushmore

Guest bitbank

I think it depends on what you can get for that price. $10 for software won't break anyone's back since anyone who is interested has a device (computer or PDA phone) that had a higher cost. Considering your target consumer (probably uses PDA phones and computers more than the casual user) is probable aware of freeware alternatives for some of the systems emulated by SmartGear, the question is whether you can effectively communicate that your product has an advantage (aside from being an all-in-one emulator) over these alternatives. For myself, I'm looking for a SNES emulator and a MAME emulator that will run well on my 8125. Yes, there are freeware alternatives, but they do not seem to run well even with overclocking to 273 MHz. I'll be keeping an eye on this program and a review from Menneisyys. By the way, does your Gameboy Color support SuperGameboy with its color emulation and frames? Thanks.

Best to you in your efforts on this program.

Thanks for your feedback.

I briefly looked at Super GameBoy support and it didn't seem to offer much. How many games support it and is it something useful that I should add?

Thanks,

L.B.

Guest bitbank
Any gamer with a trace of tech appreciation (have to- to get roms on phone) would understand the merit of Smartgear. For the TG16 emu alone, it is worth $10- again, if you are a gamer. Factor in GG, MS, GB, GBC, Genesis (kind of) and NES and you have a ridiculous deal. People have already hit on issues. A better homepage that highlights what it does, along with screenshots of games and more exposure with sites that sell mobile software.

I already paid my $10, but will pay $10 again out of appreciation, once the Genesis and SNES are implemented. And of course mapper #23 :D . This emu platform is amazing to me and I am a game and tech geek.

Hi Rushmore,

Thanks for your appreciation and support. I realize my homepage needs work, but I can't include game screenshots because they contain trademarked names and images that I don't have rights to.

Please feel free to suggest a more descriptive homepage. I admit I'm a poor web designer/artist and am happy to receive any help I can.

L.B.