Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest bitbank
I recently paid the $10 and purchased smartgear, but I can't get it to install on my Pantech Duo. Any advice?

Can you be more specific about what you're doing. I know it works on that device because I have another customer running it. The install program is to be run on your PC and it installs to your phone through ActiveSync. In the future, tech support should be sent directly to my email address, not this forum.

Denied Hero

Please detail the steps you are taking and how it fails. Again, this should be sent directly to my email ([email protected]) and not this forum.

L.B.

Guest Furanshi
Can you be more specific about what you're doing. I know it works on that device because I have another customer running it. The install program is to be run on your PC and it installs to your phone through ActiveSync. In the future, tech support should be sent directly to my email address, not this forum.

Denied Hero

Please detail the steps you are taking and how it fails. Again, this should be sent directly to my email ([email protected]) and not this forum.

L.B.

email sent, sorry about that

Guest thelostsoul

I feel like I offended you Bitbank, with my rather extensive list of criticisms, since you haven't responded to my post at all. If I did, I apologize. I was responding to your request and trying to help. I like what you're doing here, and you have an excellent product.

Guest bitbank
Hey, I LOVE this app! If you can only buy one game for your phone, getting this is so much better then getting any other native WM game!

Just one thing I noticed is that auto save for sega genesis games doesn't work. Notably for Sonic 3D and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (haven't tried any others).

Keep up the nice work!

EDIT: Just read your question about price. It's a very good price, and the fact that it has a trial version available also means that it doesn't matter if the price gives an image of "cheapness"; that said, you could probably up the price slightly and not see sales go down too much, but I wouldn't recommend upping it too much. One thing to consider is people aren't too willing to spend much for a mobile application, generally speaking.

But back on the image of cheapness, your website could use a little work. Looking at the Smartgear page here:

http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/SmartGear.html

It looks like your average freeware, beta, side-project site. I wouldn't mind helping you with that if you'd like as I just finished my Graphic Design course and am now in Web Publishing...two things I kinda enjoy...let me know...

Lastly, it's version 0.40....people like my brother refuse to buy beta products. Listing it as a version <1 indicates it's an unfinished, possibly untested product to the average consumer. Maybe after you get SNES emulation and have several users confirm it's working stably, you might want to bump the version to 1.0.

Hope you don't take any of that the wrong way, just trying to provide you with an honest answer to your question and some constructive criticism.

Hi Lostsoul,

Sorry for not responding sooner. You didn't offend me at all; I always appreciate feedback whether it be positive or negative. Sometimes when I need to give lots of thought to a response, I put it off and then it "Scrolls off my list" and gets forgotten.

I totally agree about the version number and website. The product will never be finished because it's constantly evolving, but I'll start with a 1.x version number on the next release. The website definitely needs help and I'm a terrible web designer/artist. Please grab the html and give it a workover if you have the time. I can't include game images or names, but just about anything else is fair game.

Thanks for your time,

Larry B.

Guest rushmore

L.B.,

Two questions, please.

1) What is an approximate time for when you expect the new version to come out?

2) Could you offer a cab as well for just phone installation? I was on a trip to England when you did a big update, but I had to wait till I got back to the States to install it. A cab option would be handy for people to install straight off the site rather than needing a computer to do it.

Thanks

Edited by rushmore

Guest bitbank
L.B.,

Two questions, please.

1) What is an approximate time for when you expect the new version to come out?

2) Could you offer a cab as well for just phone installation? I was on a trip to England when you did a big update, but I had to wait till I got back to the States to install it. A cab option would be handy for people to install straight off the site rather than needing a computer to do it.

Thanks

I'll try to release a new version this week because it's got some good fixes/improvements in it.

I'll make sure to release cab files for all future builds.

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
I'll try to release a new version this week because it's got some good fixes/improvements in it.

I'll make sure to release cab files for all future builds.

L.B.

awesome! does it have SNES support?

i cant wait for it!

Guest bitbank
SVP has been emulated by notaz for picodrive win32 can you do add it to your sega emu for virtua racing?

What is SVP and by Sega do you mean GameGear/SMS or Genesis?

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
SVP has been emulated by notaz for picodrive win32 can you do add it to your sega emu for virtua racing?

it seems like there are only a few games that use the SVP code. is it a code or a counsil or arcade game?

Guest dario69
What is SVP and by Sega do you mean GameGear/SMS or Genesis?

L.B.

I am pretty sure Genesis. But I also thought those SVP games used DSP chips to speed up processing. Before they came out with the 32x games or whatever that system was called. Can't believe this was over 15 years ago.

Guest jaikben

sorry SVP is sega virtual processor, only virtua racing made use of it, google for virtua racing genesis. Its a good game and if it isn't to hard to convert the code to you emu it would be great

Guest godan

I was thinking... since a number of phones (like my BlackJack) can only register two buttons at one time (Dpad+A or Dpad+ B) it makes things like a running jump in Super Mario Bros. impossible, it would be really nice if you could let the user set a button via the emulator to represent A+B thus bypassing the need to press three physical buttons (Dpad+A+ B) I'm sure this feature would make MANY people happy including myself and it would also give you one more feature that none of the "free" emulators have, thus making the $10 price more justifiable (not that it isn't already).

Edited by godan

Guest bitbank

Anybody in the know about SN76496 emulation on the GameGear/SMS? I just fixed the sampled voice in the "SEGA!" startup to Sonic and it required me to take the volume levels as DAC values instead of as attenuation values (inverted, exponential volume levels). It seems to sound best when coded the opposite of what most documentation says about that feature.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

L.B.

Guest mikeeey
Anybody in the know about SN76496 emulation on the GameGear/SMS? I just fixed the sampled voice in the "SEGA!" startup to Sonic and it required me to take the volume levels as DAC values instead of as attenuation values (inverted, exponential volume levels). It seems to sound best when coded the opposite of what most documentation says about that feature.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

L.B.

if you've fixed the "sega" sound doesnt that mean youve fixed the rest of the sound for genesis? for example when i play sonic, i only hear about half the sounds, effects, music, etc..

Guest bitbank

I just completed the rewrite of my SN76496 emulator in ARM asm. I've decided to make it public so that other programmers can make use of it and perhaps improve upon it in the process. I'm releasing this code as an experiment to see how it's received by the community and perhaps continue releasing more source code in the future.

You can download it here: sn76496.zip

L.B.

Guest bitbank
if you've fixed the "sega" sound doesnt that mean youve fixed the rest of the sound for genesis? for example when i play sonic, i only hear about half the sounds, effects, music, etc..

Mikeeey,

The fix I did only applies to the GameGear/SMS. The Genesis sound is all coded, but I disabled it because it's too slow. I'll be working on that in the future. Sorry...

L.B.

Guest rushmore
and will you add the SVP support for virtua racing?

That is an emulation problem as far as speed for lower speed computers of three years ago, which is still way faster than phones and choppy on my Axim which is 624mhz.

Rather than work on a special chip for a few games that will still be very choppy, I hope LB works on regular Genesis and SNES code as well as mappers like #23 for NES. That would make a lot of games work rather than work on a special chip.

I play the actual arcade Sega VR on MAME on my laptop.

Guest jaikben

the code looks simple to port and for a first ever on ppc should be nice to have vr in a genesis emu. Even if it is slow and choppy, everybody loves fpsece, while that is slow and choppy lol, we need updates of emu;s. Sega cd/ sega model 1. Even iphone emu scene is growing very fast with genesis4iphone ( with sega cd support ) psx4iphone/snes4iphone/nes4iphone, al working more or less stable. windows mobile started handheld emulating but its losing it