Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest godan

A number of phones (like my BlackJack) can only register two buttons at one time (Dpad+A or Dpad+B) it makes things like a running jump in Super Mario Bros. just about impossible. It would be REALLY nice if you could let the user set one button via the emulator to represent "A+B" thus bypassing the need to press three physical buttons (Dpad+A+B) I'm sure this feature would make MANY people happy including myself and it would also give you one more feature that none of the "free" emulators have, thus making the $10 price more justifiable (not that it isn't already).

Edited by godan

Guest bitbank
A number of phones (like my BlackJack) can only register two buttons at one time (Dpad+A or Dpad+:D it makes things like a running jump in Super Mario Bros. just about impossible. It would be REALLY nice if you could let the user set one button via the emulator to represent "A+B" thus bypassing the need to press three physical buttons (Dpad+A+:( I'm sure this feature would make MANY people happy including myself and it would also give you one more feature that none of the "free" emulators have, thus making the $10 price more justifiable (not that it isn't already).

Please suggest both in terms of the GUI and inside the code itself how this could be handled in a good/friendly way.

Thanks,

L.B.

Guest bitbank
SmartGear 1.02 PocketPC version

GameGear

Game : Sylvian Tale

After game start and introduction, sprites goes messy

With CEgg, the game run very well.

Thank you very much for posting info about this bug. This is a problem in my ARM Z80 emulator. I was able to reproduce it and fix it. These are the kinds of bugs I would like people to report. If you can recreate the bug on Windows Mobile, but not on the desktop version, then that points to a bug in my ARM assembly language code. These are the bugs I really need to fix because I use this same ARM code in commercial products. This fix will appear in the next release (probably this weekend).

Thanks again,

L.B.

Guest mikeeey

bitbank there is a strange bug with saving and loading. when i save over a save, an error message comes up, i cant see what it says cuz the paused game is in front, blocking the error message, i push around in the middle right of the screen where the X is so i can close the error message, but the game saved anyway. This also happens when i load a game. the games can load and save just fine, but an error message comes up which cant be seen either.

Guest rushmore
bitbank there is a strange bug with saving and loading. when i save over a save, an error message comes up, i cant see what it says cuz the paused game is in front, blocking the error message, i push around in the middle right of the screen where the X is so i can close the error message, but the game saved anyway. This also happens when i load a game. the games can load and save just fine, but an error message comes up which cant be seen either.

More game issues to report:

1) Argus (NES) = solid grey screen

2) Cannon Fodder (GBC) = Loads, but locks up at actual gameplay screen.

3) Blades Of Steel (NES) = screen shakes a lot when sprites contact each other

4) Cobra Triangle (NES) = Sprites missing and locks up

5) Genesis games: About 20% work (so far out of 100 tried), but the other 80% = "unrecognized file", locks up phone, or games loads with no sprites.

Edited by rushmore

Guest bitbank

5) Genesis games: About 20% work (so far out of 100 tried), but the other 80% = "unrecognized file", locks up phone, or games loads with no sprites.

1) This game seems to run fine. What version of SmartGear? What rom version are you using? What are the steps to recreate the problem?

2) This game pushes the GBC hardware to the limit and I may not be able to fix it.

3) I haven't seen this occur. Can you give the steps to recreate the problem?

4) This game does appear to have some troubles - I'll see if it's the mapper or something else.

5) Genesis will load BIN and SMD files. What files are you trying to load? Please give specific examples of games which hang or load with no sprites.

L.B.

Guest rushmore
1) This game seems to run fine. What version of SmartGear? What rom version are you using? What are the steps to recreate the problem?

2) This game pushes the GBC hardware to the limit and I may not be able to fix it.

4) This game does appear to have some troubles - I'll see if it's the mapper or something else.

5) Genesis will load BIN and SMD files. What files are you trying to load? Please give specific examples of games which hang or load with no sprites.

L.B.

Using latest version (1.02)

1) Not sure of the rom version, but it works with pocketnester. What rom version are you using that works?

2) I know what you mean, but kind of funny that an overclocked z80 is pushing anything to the limit :D . I do understand what you mean. This is the number one non-working game for any emu. Apparently the game cart has a little assistance on board. I have the actual game cart, and it seems to have one more chip that others do not have.....

3) When you start the game and begin playing, the screen shakes / vibrates a lot. One of my favorite games, so I noticed quickly. Seems to be when the sceen scrolls and sprites make contact.

5) Examples. Please note that I am using picodrive as reference, because the roms I have work with it, but the ones that do work with your emu work MUCH better in regards to speed and accuracy of display.

Smartgear works a lot better on the games that do work, so it would be cool if more Genesis games worked. Here are some examples that work with Picodrive.

"Unrecognized file" = Alien Soldier, Arcade Classics.. as far as "A's"

Program quits = RC Pro Am Racing, Grind Stormer, Killing Game Show, Lightening Force

Phone locks up = Sensible Soccer

No Sprites = Mega Swiv

As far as NES, I would not mind on the games that do not work, but pocketnes does not play as good as Smartgear on my Dash. Pocketnes plays slow for some reason- even with other apps turned off. Smartgear plays perfect.

I am only posting this because you asked for bug reports, minus SNES, of course.

Edited by rushmore

Guest godan
Please suggest both in terms of the GUI and inside the code itself how this could be handled in a good/friendly way.

Thanks,

L.B.

I am by no means a programmer, but in the GUI it would be under the settings where you set what buttons do what for the NES (also perhaps GB/GBC). it would be something along the lines of:

A Button = "user selected button"

B Button = "user selected button"

A+B Button = "user selected button" <--this could be optional, like a turbo button kinda thing.

as far as the programming part i guess you could just have it so when the single "A+B button" is pressed on the phone the emulator treats it as if both the "A" and the "B" buttons are being pressed thus bypassing a hardware limitation via software. i'll try to show you what i mean with my horrible code skills...

IF KEYA = PRESSED THEN

PRESS_EVENT1 = TRUE

ELSEIF KEYB = PRESSED THEN

PRESS_EVENT2 = TRUE

ELSEIF KEYAB = PRESSED THEN

PRESS_EVENT1 = TRUE AND PRESS_EVENT2 = TRUE

END IF[/codebox]

So with this, even with the two simultanious button press limit on the blackjack, someone would still be able to run AND jump AT THE SAME TIME in super mario bros... now how perfect would that be? anyways thanks for listening to my ramblings.

Edited by godan

Guest rushmore

L.B.

The "unrecognized file" error was due to some being named with md file names. I did not catch this because I thought Picordrive would have the same problem, but it reads md files. Changing the file names to "smd" has made about half of those games to work now. The other half that do not, have are either black screens or smartgear crashes, or no sprites (like Mega Swiv).

A lot of the games that crash Smartgear load up, but crash Smartgear when you try to start them (Killing Game Show) is an example.

I hope you can get it to work with more games, because I will pay $10 again for that. SNES would just be icing on the good cake to me.

Edited by rushmore

Guest rushmore

L.B.

Here is my analysis of the Genesis module:

Notes:

*T-Mobile Dash with 8gb micro sd (games on card)

*Tested 122 games with version 1.02

*69% worked. People need to make sure roms are not "md", but are "smd" or "bin".

*Games that have status "Work: Not full screen" means the screen is squeezed in on the sides.

*Most games had little to no sound or a steady clicking sound. Slapfight is one of the few games that had correct sound effects in the test. I tried various settings, but same result. Should sound be working?

* All games work on Picodrive (except Super Bubble Bobble), but the ones that do work on Smargear work better.

* I did the list in order of status.

Flicky Works: Not full screen

Midnight Resistance Works: Not full screen

NHL 93 Works: Not full screen

Snow Brothers Works: Not full screen

Sunset Riders Works: Not full screen

Tecmo Superbowl Works: Not full screen

Tecmo Basketball Works: Not full screen

Wani Wani World Works: Not full screen

Growl Works: Not full screen

Kick Off 3 Works: Not full screen

Street Fighter CE Works: Not full screen

Arcade Classics Works

Cannon Fodder Works

Championship Bowling Works

Coack K Basketball Works

College Football Works

Columns 3 Works

Combat Cars Works

Cross Fire Works

Dangerous Seed Works

Dr Robotnick Works

Dragons Revenge Works

Fire Mustang Works

Fire Shark Works

Ghouls & Ghosts Works

Granada Works

Joe Montanna Football Works

Kyuukai Baseball Works

MUSHA Works

Madden 98 Works

Mario Lemiux Hocky Works

Mega Turrican Works

Mercs Works

Minnesota Fats Pool Works

Mega Panel Works

Sports Talk Baseball Works

NBA Hangtime Works

NBA Jam Works

Pac Mania Works

PGA Tour 2 Works

PGA Tour 3 Works

Raiden Trad Works

Rainbow Islands Works

Side Pocket Works

Space Invaders 91 Works

Sub Terrania Works

Target Earth Works

Task Force Harrier Works

Trampoline Terror Works

Turrican Works

Twin Hawk Works

Ulitmate Qix Works

Urban Strike Works

Vapor Trail Works

Vectorman Works

Vectorman 2 Works

Verytex Works

Zero Wing Works

Arch Rivals Works

AWS Pro Soccer Works

Steel Empire Works

Castelvania Works

Crueball Works

Darius 2 Works

D Robinson Basketball Works

Decapattack Works

Devils Crush Works

Dragons Fury Works

Forgotten Worlds Works

Funcar Ralley Works

Gaiares Works

Gain Ground Works

NBA Action 95 Works

NBA Jam TE Works

NBA Live 95 Works

NBA Showdown Works

Omega Race Works

Pac Attack Works

Panarama Cotton Works

Pengo Works

Ranger X Works

Rockman X3 Works

Skeleton Crew Works

Slapfight Works

PGA 96 Stays at menus

Marvel Land Screen flickers

Sonic Spinball NTSC warning locks up

Megaman WW NTSC warning locks up

Mega Swiv No Sprites

Eliminate Down No Sprites

Sensible Soccer Locks up phone

Exo Squad Locks at Sega screen

Hit the Ice Locks at Menu

Devine Sealing Locks at menu

Road Rash Graphics errors

Baseball 2020 Graphics errors

Kawasaki Racing Graphics errors

RC Pro AM Crash to Windows

FIFA 96 Crash to Windows

FIFA 98 Crash to Windows

Grind Stormer Crash to Windows

NBA Live 98 Crash to Windows

NHL 98 Crash to Windows

Road Rash 2 Crash to Windows

Rock & Roll Racing Crash to Windows

Super High Impact FB Crash to Windows

Twinkle Tail Crash to Windows

Viewpoint Crash to Windows

Crackdown Crash to Windows

Double Dribble Crash to Windows

Gynoug / Wings of War Crash to Windows

Pele Crash to Windows

Williams Arcade Crash to Windows

Super Bubble Bobble Can't start game

Alien Soldier Black Screen

College Slam Black Screen

Lightening Force Black Screen

Undead line Black Screen

Wayne Gretzky Hockey Black Screen

FIFA soccer Black Screen

J League Pro Soccer 93 Black Screen

Smash TV Black Screen

Edited by rushmore

Guest bitbank
Here is my analysis of the Genesis module:

Thanks Rushmore - excellent job of testing. I'm going to add "*.MD" file support for the next build and see why some of the games don't work. The Genesis module currently has the FM (YM2612) sound disabled because that code is too slow. This leaves only the DAC and SN76496 sound effects which usually is not much. I will eventually rewrite that code and re-integrate it.

L.B.

Guest bitbank
I am by no means a programmer, but in the GUI it would be under the settings where you set what buttons do what for the NES (also perhaps GB/GBC). it would be something along the lines of:

A Button = "user selected button"

B Button = "user selected button"

A+B Button = "user selected button" <--this could be optional, like a turbo button kinda thing.

as far as the programming part i guess you could just have it so when the single "A+B button" is pressed on the phone the emulator treats it as if both the "A" and the "B" buttons are being pressed thus bypassing a hardware limitation via software. i'll try to show you what i mean with my horrible code skills...

IF KEYA = PRESSED THEN

PRESS_EVENT1 = TRUE

ELSEIF KEYB = PRESSED THEN

PRESS_EVENT2 = TRUE

ELSEIF KEYAB = PRESSED THEN

PRESS_EVENT1 = TRUE AND PRESS_EVENT2 = TRUE

END IF[/codebox]

So with this, even with the two simultanious button press limit on the blackjack, someone would still be able to run AND jump AT THE SAME TIME in super mario bros... now how perfect would that be? anyways thanks for listening to my ramblings.

I didn't realize you wanted just the single case of pressing button A + B. If this is what's needed and more than 1 person wants it, I'll add it. So is there consensus that this feature is needed by more than just Godan?

L.B.

Guest bitbank
1) Thanks for the speedy fix!

2) Cannon Fodder now works again as well (Genesis).

3) I will not try mapper #23 again until you say it is fixed (locked my Dash up the last time I tried- so not trying now).

4) I will would be happy if you improved Genesis and then SNES. Ton of great games on both systems.

5) Since the Neo Pocket uses a 6502 cpu, are you certain it would be a problem to work on down the road? It was designed for pocket games and there are a lot of very good games on it. Just asking.

The Neo Pocket uses a Toshiba CPU which I haven't emulated yet. If it had a 6502, I would have added it already.

L.B.

Guest annawu

When we can expect the ARM Z80 emulator fix ?

Maybe you can post the fix in advance, so we are able to test before you make a official release ?

Guest godan
I didn't realize you wanted just the single case of pressing button A + B. If this is what's needed and more than 1 person wants it, I'll add it. So is there consensus that this feature is needed by more than just Godan?

L.B.

here are others with my problem

Edited by godan

Guest PolloLoco

Actually, a more useful fix for the button combination problem would be to add a spot for a button combination (or two) to the list of buttons. It would allow you to select two of the buttons already specified above - by pressing first one button, then the next. Finally, you'd select the button to map to.

Incorporating it would be more difficult to code, but instead of just making one set combination for everyone - it would allow users to combine any buttons they need for a particular game. Even though I use a program in the background to combine buttons, it would be useful for me in some games, where I could map diagonals to one button instead of having to press two buttons that aren't so close together.

Anyways - it's not something I really need, but I wanted to suggest a more useful fix to godan's request.

Guest PolloLoco

**EDIT - Never mind, I made a mistake on this post.

Regardless, my point was that flexibility in button combinations would be a big selling point. There are many PPC's and smartphones that limit button presses even to one at a time. My 6700 would have that problem, and not allow diagonals - if it weren't for a background program someone wrote.

Edited by PolloLoco

Guest bitbank

Hi Rushmore,

Thanks again for your bug reports. I'm working right now on fixes and I've come across another bug in the 6502 which caused the sprites to shake in Mappy. Hopefully this is the same issue affecting Blades of Steel. I'll have a new build out tonight. I'm trying to locate any possible 68000 bugs which are causing problems in the Genesis code, but even if I don't find anything today, I'll release a new build so everyone can try the new fixes.

L.B.

Guest djmoya

Wow great work bitbank im glad i purchased this great EMU one of the only pieces of software ive purchased in years and well worth it. Im glad to support someone who actually listens and works with the community and offers a quality product. Hope to see some snes in smartgear soon :D

Guest bitbank

I just released version 1.0.3 - sorry for the delay. I've been working on cleaning up the various CPU bugs and this build includes good fixes for the GameGear/SMS, NES and Genesis. Rushmore, please recheck the Genesis games which failed before; you should find that most of them now work. I still need to fix a few more 68k bugs.

The best way to help me is to find games which work on the desktop version and have a problem on the Windows Mobile version (or just behave differently). This would indicate a bug in my ARM asm CPU emulator.

Thanks,

L.B.

Guest annawu

SmartGear 1.03 PocketPC version

GameGear

Game : Sylvian Tale

After game start and introduction, sprites now ok.

But if i try to walk in any direction the inventory screen (2nd screenshot) show me

for short time, than going back.

This constantly repeated.

It seems, it is like if i press a hardware button to show inventory screen what i not do.

Check the AVI video (ST.zip)

Still not playable.

With CEgg, the game run very well.

PS: Desktop version has the same bug.

post-198623-1207286508_thumb.jpg

post-198623-1207286523_thumb.jpg

ST.ZIP

Edited by annawu

Guest djmoya

New update tested and works on GameGear and Nes for my htc 620 but all genesis games load to a blank black screen and no audio i tried in different screen orientations and percentages with tons of different roms and have the same problem. Oh and exit game doesnt seem to work on the genesis roms as well. The update before this one worked great.

Edited by djmoya