Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest bitbank
So I'm a little confused. So is SNES emulation working on Windows Mobile? Because i tried to open a zip with an SMC file inside and it says "Unrecognized File". It does however work on the desktop version.

-James

Hi James,

Sorry, SNES is still missing from Windows Mobile until I finish the ARM 65816. It's going to take many more hours to get it working, so it probably won't be included for several more weeks.

L.B.

Guest mikeeey

the game Gradius 2 (NES) has some missing graphics at the bottom.

It should look like this:

gradius21nf4.png

but instead, it looks like this:

gradius21notty9.png

also, it seems there still is the clicking/popping soudn in all games, but it's quiet, not as noticable as before the 16-bit fix was added.

Edited by mikeeey

Guest ebcoelho
I just released 1.0.4...

Lots of good fixes in this build:

1) Load/Save functions should work properly in all games (including Genesis).

2) More CPU bug fixes for the 68k should show up as better Genesis compatibility.

3) Fixed incorrect mapper # for NES game Pipe Dream.

4) Key definition now works when done from within a paused game.

5) Debug code removed from GameGear.

Basically all recently reported issues should be addressed.

Here's the link:

SmartGear Web Page

L.B.

L.B., thanks for this new version and bug fixes!!!

Below, Genesis tests results on my Mitac 8390 (MS Smarphone 2003 edition non-SE) with 220x176 resolution and a 200MHz ARM XScale PXA262.

mitac_mio8390_1.jpgmitac_mio8390_2.jpg

Game: Alladin II

1) Video Size 100%: cuts two sides of all games :(

smartgear_v104_100_1.jpgsmartgear_v104_100_2.jpgsmartgear_v104_100_3.jpgsmartgear_v104_100_cfg.jpg

2) Video Size Fit2Win: two black borders (left and right) :(

smartgear_v104_fit2win_1.jpgsmartgear_v104_fit2win_2.jpgsmartgear_v104_fit2win_3.jpgsmartgear_v104_fit2win_cfg.jpg

3) Video Size Fit2Win*: four black borders :(

smartgear_v104_fit2win8_1.jpgsmartgear_v104_fit2win8_2.jpgsmartgear_v104_fit2win8_3.jpgsmartgear_v104_fit2win8_cfg.jpg

4) Video Size 75%: three black borders and screen cuts on right side <_<

smartgear_v104_75_1.jpgsmartgear_v104_75_2.jpgsmartgear_v104_75_3.jpgsmartgear_v104_75_cfg.jpg

5) Like rusmore said, my reference is download.gif PicoDrive 0.52, since all of the games i have work there :(

picodrive_v052_portraitfullscreen_1.jpgpicodrive_v052_portraitfullscreen_2.jpgpicodrive_v052_portraitfullscreen_1.jpgpicodrive_v052_portraitfullscreen_cfg.jpg

Game: Worms

1) To work I have to enable sound (otherwise freezes my phone on SmartGear) and when I tried Fit2Win the game menus got fullscreen :( but in the game, like in Alladin II, two black borders (left and right) :D

smartgear_v104_worms_1.jpgsmartgear_v104_worms_2.jpgsmartgear_v104_worms_3.jpgsmartgear_v104_worms_cfg.jpg

In PicoDrive I can select between 3 and 6 keys, can u implement this on smartgear? :(

picodrive_v052_key_settings_3.jpgpicodrive_v052_key_settings_6.jpg

Also, it seems there is the clicking/popping sound on SmartGear that gets worse when I enable 16-bits :( and minimizes when I set 44Khz Mono 8-bits.

And Last, where I can find a documentation about the settings in Smart Gear?

Thanks again for your excellent work to bring all this games back to us :(

Regards,

ebcoelho

EDITED PER FORUM RULES

Edited by ebcoelho

Guest trippenz

Bitbank I just emailed you the NES game list.

mikeeey:

Gradius 1 and 2 works fine on my smartphone with no missing gfx. i only have missing gfx when i load a game using the smartgear load/save not the ingame its self. If it is in game plz email me [email protected] the settings you are using and also the make and model of your device. This will help me with The gamelist for Bitbank. I can add side notes/game fixes to the list next to each game.

Edit: Forgot to add my email

Edited by trippenz

Guest mikeeey
Bitbank I just emailed you the NES game list.

mikeeey:

Gradius 1 and 2 works fine on my smartphone with no missing gfx. i only have missing gfx when i load a game using the smartgear load/save not the ingame its self. If it is in game plz email me [email protected] the settings you are using and also the make and model of your device. This will help me with The gamelist for Bitbank. I can add side notes/game fixes to the list next to each game.

Edit: Forgot to add my email

sent you an email.

Yeah gradius 2 is one of my favorite games for NES. but its hard to play without the graphics at the bottom, im not sure how you got it to appear for you.

i found out that there's a TG-16 version of gradius. its awesome, graphics and sounds are better, i recomend playing it!

Guest rushmore
sent you an email.

Yeah gradius 2 is one of my favorite games for NES. but its hard to play without the graphics at the bottom, im not sure how you got it to appear for you.

i found out that there's a TG-16 version of gradius. its awesome, graphics and sounds are better, i recomend playing it!

Argus is a shooter on NES that I can not get to work. LB mentioned it does, but the ones I have do not work on Smartgear (black screen) but work on Pocketnester. The problem is, Pocketnester plays slow on my Dash, but Smartgear plays smooth as butter.

Guest rushmore
Argus is a shooter on NES that I can not get to work. LB mentioned it does, but the ones I have do not work on Smartgear (black screen) but work on Pocketnester. The problem is, Pocketnester plays slow on my Dash, but Smartgear plays smooth as butter.

I guess Smartgear is a little more particualr on roms. I tried another Argus rom for NES and it worked. It appears that Pocketnester is a little more rom friendly, but Smartgear plays much better on my Dash than nester.

I have been messing around with Pocketsnes 1.53 and surprised how well it plays with sound on the Dash at standard cpu speed (not over clocked) & plays full speed with all games with no sound. If LB gets Smartgear working better than Pocketsnes as well as Genesis- WOW! Still, I see sound being a problem for both emu's, but I thought the same thing about the TGX16 and Smartgear plays those perfect- with sound.

Edited by rushmore

Guest trippenz
I guess Smartgear is a little more particualr on roms. I tried another Argus rom for NES and it worked. It appears that Pocketnester is a little more rom friendly, but Smartgear plays much better on my Dash than nester.

I have been messing around with Pocketsnes 1.53 and surprised how well it plays with sound on the Dash at standard cpu speed (not over clocked) & plays full speed with all games with no sound. If LB gets Smartgear working better than Pocketsnes as well as Genesis- WOW! Still, I see sound being a problem for both emu's, but I thought the same thing about the TGX16 and Smartgear plays those perfect- with sound.

lol nice qouteing yourself. Yes Smartgear is very picky on the rom file its self. I have sent LB a nes capability list for all games that works on 1.0.4 and below. When LB post the list and a game on the list does not play try getting a different rom from somewhere else. Also try using different settings as well. If by some reason neither of them work plz email me asap.

Guest dario69

Keep in mind Pocketsnes 1.53 is using an older core of the SNES emulator of Snes9x. Part of the reason why the list of compatible games isn't so hot. Morphgear implemented the same core a few years back and then eventually upgraded it. Compatibility increased but it also slowed down. Some people blamed Morphgear for being too slow but the updated core also included more graphical features that just caused it to go back a step or two.

So while Pocketsnes is fast on the Dash and other 200mhz PDAs it is also running on a pretty old emulator core. Back then we had faster CPUs (I will take a current gen 400mhz xscale over the one in the Tilt anyday) so this slight slowdown wasn't too bad so I stuck with Morphgear for the most part. With these slower PDA's it isn't too hot though.

It will be interesting to see what he comes up with balancing speed over compatibility and graphic features.

Guest Soubi

This is one of the best GBC emulators I have seen thus far that work well on the T-mobile (HTC) Dash. I would gladly pay the $10 for it!

My only question was this: When I loaded my rom on it, it would not let me start a new game. Is this due to the fact that the save/load option is disabled? I should be able to start a new game...perhaps it's simply my phone...

let me know.

[email protected]

Guest trippenz
This is one of the best GBC emulators I have seen thus far that work well on the T-mobile (HTC) Dash. I would gladly pay the $10 for it!

My only question was this: When I loaded my rom on it, it would not let me start a new game. Is this due to the fact that the save/load option is disabled? I should be able to start a new game...perhaps it's simply my phone...

let me know.

[email protected]

No the save/load option will not cuase that problem. What game are you trying to play. and for what system.

Bitbank. There is a new problem with sms. Dragon Crystal does not work. It goes thru intro up to the main menu screen. as soon as you start a new game or load a new game its just a black screen.

Guest trippenz

Larry Bank another problem is 150% does not work on any other orention except 0. 90, 260 does not work. it close smartgear out all way.

Guest jmacdonald801
Larry Bank another problem is 150% does not work on any other orention except 0. 90, 260 does not work. it close smartgear out all way.

So Larry, do you have a Kaiser/Tilt for testing?

I am very curious how hard it would be for you to make QTV overlay output, an option for smartgear. I believe it does all image stretching in hardware and would be quite a nice addition.

There are many Qualcomm 72XX Windows Mobile phones on the way and it's likely this QTV overlay will be available on a lot of devices.

I recently read somewhere that HTC devices make up some 80% of all Windows Mobile devices produced now.

What device(s) do you have?

-James

Guest bitbank
So Larry, do you have a Kaiser/Tilt for testing?

I am very curious how hard it would be for you to make QTV overlay output, an option for smartgear. I believe it does all image stretching in hardware and would be quite a nice addition.

There are many Qualcomm 72XX Windows Mobile phones on the way and it's likely this QTV overlay will be available on a lot of devices.

I recently read somewhere that HTC devices make up some 80% of all Windows Mobile devices produced now.

What device(s) do you have?

-James

Hi James,

I'm not familiar with the QTV overlay. Is this something that might be supported by DirectDraw? I was considering adding support for DirectDraw because an LG prototype device I was testing only supports DirectDraw properly.

I currently own the following devices:

T-Mobile SDA

T-Mobile MDA

T-Mobile Shadow

HTC Vox

Motorola Q

Motorola Q9h

Palm 700w

HTC Star Trek

Dell X50v

HP h2210

HP H1910

HP hx2190

HTC Raphael (on loan this week)

L.B.

Edited by bitbank

Guest bitbank

I tested 150% in all directions and it used to work. What device are you seeing a problem on?

75% is not fully implemented because it's not terribly useful, but I spent some time making sure 150% worked well.

L.B.

Update - this issue has to do with the fact that he's running on a 176x220 device and 150% doesn't fit. I'll look into cleaning up this code shortly so that it will work or at least prevent you from using modes which would have problems.

Edited by bitbank

Guest bitbank
I guess Smartgear is a little more particualr on roms.

What I've found is that many NES games have incorrect mapper information stored in the header. I guess the other NES emulators have an internal list of the games with the correct mapper numbers. I have a few mapper corrections inside of SmartGear; I'll add more as I discover them.

L.B.

Guest annawu

Dear Larry,

your new version solved my problem with Sylvian Tale. Thank you !

Another question, i have some Famicom games in .FDS format.

Can I run these games ?

Guest rushmore
What I've found is that many NES games have incorrect mapper information stored in the header. I guess the other NES emulators have an internal list of the games with the correct mapper numbers. I have a few mapper corrections inside of SmartGear; I'll add more as I discover them.

L.B.

L.B.:

A few things:

1) Same difference as far as roms & mappers. Pocketnes has mapper issues and plays slow on my Dash (why, I do not know). All I know is that Smartgear plays perfectly and works on all of my favorite NES games now, so any improvement is just "more butter on the biscuit" for me.

2) You should also own a Dash. The near perfect device, if it had a 3.5mm phone jack- it WOULD be near perfect. Plays movies and music very well and games too of course. 8gb card makes it a fine all-in-one device. Just needs a 3.5mm jack, rather than needing a usb adapter.

3) PocketSNES is not as great as it seems, since it has about a 1/4 inch gap at the bottom- seems more designed toward landscape devices. Hope you get the SNES module working well & Genesis too, of course.

4) GBC Dropzone has corrupt sprites when playing. I think if that were fixed, some othe GBC games would also be corrected as well. Just a hunch! GBC works great too, so that would be more "butter on the biscuit".

Note: If a US Dash, you need to use a non-US rom that has SDHC support. For some VERY stupid reason, the US Dash does not support SDHC, so nothing above 2gb as a result.

Edited by rushmore

Guest bitbank
Bitbank. There is a new problem with sms. Dragon Crystal does not work. It goes thru intro up to the main menu screen. as soon as you start a new game or load a new game its just a black screen.

Thanks again for helping me find this bug. Another hard to track down issue that probably causes odd behavior in other games. The bug was that the ADC HL,XX instructions were never setting the Z flag. This will be released in 1.0.5 (soon).

For all of you other bug chasers...I'll give you a free registration of any of my products if you find a bug that satisfies these conditions:

1) The bug exists in the Windows Mobile code, but the same game works correctly on the Desktop PC.

2) The issue hasn't already been reported by someone else.

3) You're running the latest released version of SmartGear.

Thanks,

L.B.

Guest bitbank
Dear Larry,

your new version solved my problem with Sylvian Tale. Thank you !

Another question, i have some Famicom games in .FDS format.

Can I run these games ?

The FDS files are Famicom Disk System games. I believe they require BIOS code. If anyone has definitive answers about FDS support I would appreciate it. Are the FDS games unique and don't exist as standard NES titles?

L.B.

Guest rushmore
The FDS files are Famicom Disk System games. I believe they require BIOS code. If anyone has definitive answers about FDS support I would appreciate it. Are the FDS games unique and don't exist as standard NES titles?

L.B.

L.B., speaking of disk based games, Sega has quite few also non standard cart games (Gaplus is one great game example on the SG format).. I think that is what it is. A lot of arcade games were on that format.

Guest bitbank

I decided to try to build SmartGear as a PPC2000 application and it appears to work fine. Is anyone still using PPC2000/PPC2002/SP2002 devices and would be interested in having SmartGear? I tried it on my iPAQ 1910 and it runs quite nicely.

L.B.

Guest CharlyV

L.B.

Maybe can be helpful. So far I know, some unique japanese games exit for the Famicom Disk System.

Edited by CharlyV

Guest mikeeey

hey bitbank what can u tell us about the HTC Raphael? i heard it was supposed to be like..the next TyTN III or something.

and 2 questions...on my kaiser i notice a small sound crackling still, no where as bad as before, does this happen on any of your devices?

and

when do you think you will have the SNES compatible build released?

Guest rushmore

LB

I have found more issues with the new build. SMS games now appear to have sound problems. All have a clicking sound and games like Bubble Bobble have a high pitched whine when sound is on. I do not recall this being an issue before.

After checking more, all Sega 8 bit games have the clicking sound and it is a mix as far as games actually having sound and ones that have the high pitch whine. I am not talking about Genesis., though the clicking sound and whine are the same.

Edited by rushmore