Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest jeiyuu
Any updates coming our way anytime soon?

I signed onto the thread to wonder the same thing.. I know that Larry hasn't given up on us, I hope he's just swamped with other projects.. Really hoping for an update with a beta of an onscreen gamepad.. (Haven't used the software since I upgraded my phone due to lack of hardware buttons)

Guest bitbank

I apologize for my absence. I've been very busy trying to deliver an important product. I'll scan through the posts this weekend and see if I can come up with a short list of fixes/changes to implement to get a release out. The SNES support can't improve at the moment. I can work on general emulator issues such as GUI, input, screen update, audio, etc.

L.B.

Guest geeve420
I apologize for my absence. I've been very busy trying to deliver an important product. I'll scan through the posts this weekend and see if I can come up with a short list of fixes/changes to implement to get a release out. The SNES support can't improve at the moment. I can work on general emulator issues such as GUI, input, screen update, audio, etc.

L.B.

awsome can't wait. Looking forward to it :excl:

Geeve

Guest tgwaste

L.B.

awe man. how come snes always gets the shaft? :excl:

Guest bitbank

More delays... but I am working on things. Today is all about device support. Specifically making things work well on the Treo 800w and Sony Xperia X1. Will update the code shortly.

L.B.

Guest bitbank

Signs of progress...

I finally got my hands on a Treo 800W and have updated the code to handle the strange display. The Treo 800w has a display pitch of 0x1000 (the same as the Motorola Q9H), but without the "venetian blinds" memory mapping. I also tested it on the Sony Xperia X1 and things seem to work fine as-is.

www.bitbanksoftware.com/private/smartgear.zip

Version is now 1.1.4

Give it a try...

L.B.

Guest urphonesux

Glad that you are still developing this product!

As i said earlier ive loved your smartgear since i first got into smart phones, however since ive moved to the samsung saga which is a ppc i cannot get any games toplay at all. They all have the issue where i have to move the cursor around on the screen to make it LOOK like its doing something.

Thank you for your time and effort

Guest bitbank
Glad that you are still developing this product!

As i said earlier ive loved your smartgear since i first got into smart phones, however since ive moved to the samsung saga which is a ppc i cannot get any games toplay at all. They all have the issue where i have to move the cursor around on the screen to make it LOOK like its doing something.

Thank you for your time and effort

I don't have access to that device and probably won't for quite a while, but I would like to see if I can fix it based on your experiences. Can you describe in more detail the problem you're having?

1) Is the problem about displaying the game or input to the game?

2) What do you mean by the "cursor"?

3) Do other video games work correctly on your device? If so, which ones?

Thanks,

L.B.

Guest Skeese
I also tested it on the Sony Xperia X1 and things seem to work fine as-is.

Is there any way you could maybe take advantage of the X1's 3D acceleration?

Guest qwertyman121

how about possibly allowing for a turbo mode so the game speeds thru some things

like allowing the user to increase the frame rate

also possibly letting the game save thru save points too

i hate pausing my pokemon game to save in the save slot

and i forgot how slow pokemon battles are lol

Edited by qwertyman121

Guest bitbank
Is there any way you could maybe take advantage of the X1's 3D acceleration?

Not at this time. Usually these chipsets require a license agreement or at least a special arrangement to get documentation and samples. There isn't much that a 3D graphics accelerator could offer to speed things up.

Guest bitbank
how about possibly allowing for a turbo mode so the game speeds thru some things

like allowing the user to increase the frame rate

also possibly letting the game save thru save points too

i hate pausing my pokemon game to save in the save slot

and i forgot how slow pokemon battles are lol

This is an excellent idea and something that's already implemented in the Desktop PC version. I will add a key to toggle speed throttling so that you can speed through the "boring" sections of a game.

Guest qwertyman121
This is an excellent idea and something that's already implemented in the Desktop PC version. I will add a key to toggle speed throttling so that you can speed through the "boring" sections of a game.

AWESOME! you rock :]

btw i've been having trouble playing a couple sega games

i tested the roms on the computer smartgear emulator and they work fine

but when i try playing them on the phone,

the screen goes black like its loading it but then instantly exits the application

these games are "beavis and butthead" and "ranger x"

thanks again! :]

Guest bitbank
AWESOME! you rock :]

btw i've been having trouble playing a couple sega games

i tested the roms on the computer smartgear emulator and they work fine

but when i try playing them on the phone,

the screen goes black like its loading it but then instantly exits the application

these games are "beavis and butthead" and "ranger x"

thanks again! :]

Which build of SmartGear are you running? Hopefully this is already fixed.

Guest bitbank

New Build is up :D

SmartGear 1.1.5 is available for download:

http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/private/smartgear.zip

I added a new key definition to allow toggling the speed throttle. It also includes a fix to the "sound blurt on exit" bug. The old behavior was that when exiting a game, the sound would jump momentarily to the device's default volume and you would hear a fraction of a second of sound. Now when exiting a game, it restores the volume properly, but remains silent.

Larry B.

Guest qwertyman121
Which build of SmartGear are you running? Hopefully this is already fixed.

im still having trouble playing with beavis&butthead and ranger x

but im now using the most current version of smartgear

it totally rocks i love the throttle feature and quick save button :D

and thanks for the update!

totally appreciate it :lol:

btw is smartgear going to upgrade to gba games too?

Edited by qwertyman121

Guest Lonx

Great bit of software & thankyou - however....

HTC Touch Diamond - our severe lack of buttons is giving me and a lot of other people a lot of grief :lol: I've been googling for around 6 hours or more and still don't have a fair solution. As far as I can tell, the touchscreen button setup simply doesn't work? is there maybe a way to program some 'virtual buttons' to show up on the screen? ie, like a functional A/B/C/Select icon at the bottom? I assume it would just involve mapping the areas and loading an icon into the display but I understand it is probably just another 'wish feature' as far as your project is concerned.

I honestly can hardly use the app on this handset otherwise unless there's some obvious trick I'm missing, but if you google, I'm definitely not alone so the resolution (if there is one) isn't very well known. Happy to help in any way I can, but alas I cannot program :D

Guest effigy345

I just got a Treo 800w and installed SmartGear and the program runs, but it crashes (if that's what you call it) when I try to load a rom. I can select a rom in the open file dialog, but then the program drops me back at winmo. I tried versions 1.04 and 1.15 and get the same result with both. Can anyone point me in the direction of a solution.

Also, I'm sorry if this question was answered elsewhere. I tried searching the forum (and this post) for an answer and couldn't find one.

Guest aem22
Hi I guess I just realized this thread existed. I've had SmartGear for quite awhile now. There is a pretty major problem with the newer versions on my Morotora q9m. I haven't tried a new version in awhile, but as far as I can tell no fixes have been made with the issue? The older version had some quirks to get controls, etc set right and so it isn't so fun to reinstall that if I took it off to try a new version.

I had to find an older version to have a decently working version on my phone. It has been a long time since I tried the new version, but I believe the problem was no matter what keys I had set, if I hit them and then release them the button stays stuck until I pressed it again. It was not playable. I think every key would report as a "bad" key when I set them.

It seems clear the problem was a result of this fix "I''ve also added support for misbehaving hardware buttons. I'm very pleased with the way the "odd" button handling works." in 1.0.1. I had e-mailed details a long time ago (I would guess almost a year ago) but don't think it was fixed. I think an option to enable or disable the "odd" button fix would resolve the problem. I'd really like to be able to upgrade to a newer version.

Thanks.

This issue hasn't been fixed yet has it?

Guest bitbank
I just got a Treo 800w and installed SmartGear and the program runs, but it crashes (if that's what you call it) when I try to load a rom. I can select a rom in the open file dialog, but then the program drops me back at winmo. I tried versions 1.04 and 1.15 and get the same result with both. Can anyone point me in the direction of a solution.

Also, I'm sorry if this question was answered elsewhere. I tried searching the forum (and this post) for an answer and couldn't find one.

I have limited access to test on the Treo 800w. I need more info about the problem you're having. What game are you playing? What system (gg/sms/gbc/nes/pce/gen)? Have you tried different video options?

L.B.

Guest bitbank
im still having trouble playing with beavis&butthead and ranger x

but im now using the most current version of smartgear

it totally rocks i love the throttle feature and quick save button :D

and thanks for the update!

totally appreciate it :lol:

btw is smartgear going to upgrade to gba games too?

I'll take a look at the games, but I need more details. There are 3 Sega consoles, which one? GameGear, Master System, Genesis?

Guest bitbank
q9m button problem - This issue hasn't been fixed yet has it?

I have a q9h to test, is it the same as the q9m as far as buttons? I just tested 1.1.5 and the buttons work fine. There are many "badly behaving" buttons, but also many that work fine. What specifically are you trying to use? Have you tried the letter buttons?

L.B.

Guest qwertyman121
I'll take a look at the games, but I need more details. There are 3 Sega consoles, which one? GameGear, Master System, Genesis?

not sure but theyre genesis games.

like i said, they work fine on the pc smartgear

but when i try to run them on the cellphone,

the emulator turns black and the program exits before i know whats up.

im sorry i cant go into that much detail [im not tech-savy. AT ALL]

but yea i tried going into options and pre-choosing the system emulator if that does anything

and same thing would happen

it might just be my phone but i wouldnt know

help?? :[

btw are you adding a gba emulator to smartgear?

cause the only other one is pretty lame and it cant go into landscape mode

and if it can, it cant on my phone

Guest johnambler41577

I am now finally getting around to posting this, but I noticed in the the last release(114) and the current release(115)that I am experiencing some audio errors at least while I am trying to run the Gameboy color game - Legend of Zelda: Oracle of ages and Oracle of seasons. It sounds like a clipping/hissing sound that repeats every 3 seconds or so. I have tried playing with the settings but to no avail. (Includes audio and frame rate settings) I know it worked okay in release (104 if I remember correctly)

1. Device - HTC Excalibur (T-mobile Dash)

Edited by johnambler41577

Guest effigy345
I have limited access to test on the Treo 800w. I need more info about the problem you're having. What game are you playing? What system (gg/sms/gbc/nes/pce/gen)? Have you tried different video options?

L.B.

Thanks for taking an interest, bitbank. I tried SMB and SMB3 for NES and Sonic 3 and Spider-Man - The Animated Series for Genesis. I can launch the program and navigate the options just fine. The "open file" dialog box opens just fine, as well. However, when I either double click a rom or click the button to load that rom, the program just exits and drops me back at my today screen. No messages or anything. I didn't play around with the video options, but I'm willing to experiment. Can you offer any suggestions about what settings might be worth messing with? I don't know if it is relevant or not, but I want to point out that I attempted this with those 4 games both zipped and unzipped. Also, they were located on my SD card instead of the internal memory. And one last thing, I have had trouble with other programs on this phone because of its somewhat unusual resolution (320x320); do you think that could be a factor here? If you need to know anything else or if you need me to test anything, I'd be happy to help.

New Info, added later:

I've been doing some experimenting and discovered a few interesting details. GB games appear to run just fine on my Treo 800w with the default options. TG16 and Genesis games run if I check the GDI option, but this reduces the framerate to an unplayable level. None of the other options have any impact on whether attempting to load a rom will actually load the rom or quit the application. I'm going to play around with some other systems and report back what I learn.

Edited by effigy345