Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest PolloLoco
hey,

so the fix for tcpmp was to set GDI in video options (instead of direct draw).

i download the hqhd version anyway though, thanks for the link!!

i unthrottled genesis and turned of auto frameskip and it was barely playable. also i dont see any FPS meter anywhere on the screen or any option for it so maybe im missing something there?

i thought if it could throttle to 60fps that it was a really good thing. maybe im wrong? i guess i dont understand why one would NOT do that.

The way I understand it - if you throttle it to 60fps, then the program drops frames as needed in order to get you there. The end result is somewhat jittery gameplay. Have you noticed that at all? That bugged me a bit with Altered Beast - so I've gone back to PicoDrive for genesis.

I'm curious about Touch Pro2 performance versus the original - I'm wondering if they gave you better drivers, though I doubt it because it would have been announced by now. Can you pick a generic video file off the net (that anyone can access) - download it and benchmark with TCPMP? I'd then do the same with my phone.

Guest tgwaste
The way I understand it - if you throttle it to 60fps, then the program drops frames as needed in order to get you there. The end result is somewhat jittery gameplay. Have you noticed that at all? That bugged me a bit with Altered Beast - so I've gone back to PicoDrive for genesis.

I'm curious about Touch Pro2 performance versus the original - I'm wondering if they gave you better drivers, though I doubt it because it would have been announced by now. Can you pick a generic video file off the net (that anyone can access) - download it and benchmark with TCPMP? I'd then do the same with my phone.

ive never done a benchmark on wm. can you tell me what to use and how you want me to do it?

Guest Jorgr

Today I found out that the backup RAM files seems to be working fine - except after pressing Reset. The emulator's main drawback still remains, as it is still impossible to transfer save data from other emulators.

Edited by Jorgr

Guest PolloLoco
ive never done a benchmark on wm. can you tell me what to use and how you want me to do it?

It couldn't be easier. In TCPMP, you open a video file. Then click file, benchmark. When the video's done playing, it'll give you a ton of data. Probably the most important is average speed, since it'll be trying to play the video as fast as possible. If you pick a video that's downloadable - I can do an apple to apple comparison with my Touch Pro. That'll confirm or deny that there's different video drivers. But I'm 99% certain that we're seeing the same performance - and there's been no video driver updates.

Guest tgwaste
It couldn't be easier. In TCPMP, you open a video file. Then click file, benchmark. When the video's done playing, it'll give you a ton of data. Probably the most important is average speed, since it'll be trying to play the video as fast as possible. If you pick a video that's downloadable - I can do an apple to apple comparison with my Touch Pro. That'll confirm or deny that there's different video drivers. But I'm 99% certain that we're seeing the same performance - and there's been no video driver updates.

ok i put up a south park snippet here: twg.org/sandbox

should benchmark make it play really slowly?

here are my results:

TCPMP Version 0.72RC1 Benchmark Results

Average Speed 40.14%

Video Frames 2975

Audio Samples 5954272

Amount of Data 20204 KB

Bench. Time 5:09.123

Bench. Frame Rate 9.62

Bench. Sample Rate 19262

Bench. Data Rate 535 kbit/s

Original Time 2:04.082

Original Frame Rate 23.97

Original Sample Rate 48000

Original Data Rate 1.3 Mbit/s

URL \Program Files\south.park.snippet-xvid.avi

Size 20688896

Platform PocketPC

OS Version 5.02

OEM Info HTC Touch Pro2 T7373

Clock speed 552 Mhz

Video output GDI 800x480 16bits Lookup

Video zoom 576x432 -> 640x480

Audio output Wave Output 48000Hz 16Bits 2Ch.

Guest blazingwolf7

Is there anyway to sync the game's clock with the phone clock? So like if you set the in game clock to the current time, when you resume it'll resync/keep track of the time, and still be correct, instead of just stopping whenever I quit the game. Oh, and also save using the game memory instead of saving to one of the 5 slots? One more thingggggggg, for the gameboy emulator, are cheats enabled? Other than that, it's the best emu for phones I've ever used. :D

Edited by blazingwolf7

Guest PolloLoco
ok i put up a south park snippet here: twg.org/sandbox

should benchmark make it play really slowly?

here are my results:

TCPMP Version 0.72RC1 Benchmark Results

Average Speed 40.14%

Normally no - I attribute it to using "GDI". It's happening to me to - though my average speed was 49.74%. Direct Draw is a faster method of playing video. I suspect these results show that the Touch Pro 2 does not have better video drivers - and should not be any better at video games. In terms of game speed, both these phones were a step back from the 6700.

FYI - Coreplayer has a faster video play system, called qplayer or something like that - I forget. It works perfect on our Touch Pro - for very large high quality videos. They backwards engineered the video driver for our phone. The only thing it can't do is video out while using that format - but that's supposed to be fixed when coreplayer releases software 2.0.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hockeyfan

Can anyone confirm if the latest beta version of SmartGear that Larry posted in this thread will work properly with the GSM Treo Pro?  I'm thinking of purchasing the Pro, but the last time I tried out SmartGear on my friend's Pro a few months ago, there were some issues with the sound "crackling" and some graphical artifacts.  I'd like to know if the later builds of SmartGear function better on the Treo Pro.

Thanks.

Guest mumbomobo

I have a Moto Q9h and I was wondering about the key input when 2 buttons are held down like (run and forward) in Super Mario Bros and then I press down a 3rd button (jump). The 3rd button is completely ignored. The same thing happens in Contra, trying to run across pointing diagonally and then trying to fire a gun. I'm afraid this is a Q9h feature along with the garbled screen on the SNES emulators.

I've been using the arrow keys and spacebar and 0/+ to play.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JonesL

i did gave 1,1,6 a try however with the genesis although the sound is much improved the games like sonic 1 become unplayable due the lag 1.0.4 is okay but with worse off sound

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tgwaste

are there still plans for an onscreen keypad? will it maybe support pressing two buttons at once?

I have a touch HD now and would LOVE this ability.

right now i have to use Morphgear like im some kind of an animal. :)

course it only supports 1 key being pressed at a time so its useless for almost all games. ;)

Edited by tgwaste

Hi, tested this excellent software on a GSM Treo Pro, everything is ok, just tested Genesis games and run at full speed, but there is no sound, there will be a fix for this on MSM7201 Qualcomm devices?. Thanks.

Edited by woss

Guest hockeyfan
Hi, tested this excellent software on a GSM Treo Pro, everything is ok, just tested Genesis games and run at full speed, but there is no sound, there will be a fix for this on MSM7201 Qualcomm devices?. Thanks.

Really? I've experienced nothing but buzzing when I play my NES and Genesis ROMs using SmartGear 1.1.4, regardless of settings, on my GSM Treo Pro.  Until these sound problems are resolved, I'll have to keep using MorphGear...

Edited by hockeyfan

Guest tgwaste
Really? I've experienced nothing but buzzing when I play my NES and Genesis ROMs using SmartGear 1.1.4, regardless of settings, on my GSM Treo Pro. Until these sound problems are resolved, I'll have to keep using MorphGear...

play with the settings maybe. i had a treo pro and everything worked perfectly (including gen sound)

unfortunately i have to use morphgear as there is no way to play SG with touch HD :)

Edited by tgwaste

Guest kflouie

Enjoying using smartgear on my treo pro. Not having any luck with genesis games, or snes ones(is that part up and running yet even?). Have tried Shining Force 1 and 2 on gen, and FF3, secret of mana, and a few others on snes, with no real luck. All i ever get for any of them is 'unrecognized file' errors. Am I doing something wrong, it's all zipped up .gen and .smc files, like the nes and game gear ones, hrm?

Guest tgwaste
Enjoying using smartgear on my treo pro. Not having any luck with genesis games, or snes ones(is that part up and running yet even?). Have tried Shining Force 1 and 2 on gen, and FF3, secret of mana, and a few others on snes, with no real luck. All i ever get for any of them is 'unrecognized file' errors. Am I doing something wrong, it's all zipped up .gen and .smc files, like the nes and game gear ones, hrm?

hmm thats strange i didnt have any problems with gen. try sonic 1 just for grins.

the SNES module is not working yet on any device.

Guest kflouie
hmm thats strange i didnt have any problems with gen. try sonic 1 just for grins.

the SNES module is not working yet on any device.

Tried sonic 1, nothing, still just unrecognized file. Wierd. It's just the .gen file in a zip, nothing freaky there. Have I got a bum or old version, it's 1.0.4 in the about, which the site says is newest. I gotta be doing something wrong. :) Maybe I'll see if I can find another different set of roms, just in case.

Guest kflouie
Tried sonic 1, nothing, still just unrecognized file. Wierd. It's just the .gen file in a zip, nothing freaky there. Have I got a bum or old version, it's 1.0.4 in the about, which the site says is newest. I gotta be doing something wrong. :) Maybe I'll see if I can find another different set of roms, just in case.

It was the roms, had a bum batch. All good now.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Slaughtz

I don't know if it's my device or not, but when I play Pokemon Silver, it sometimes just crashes unexpectedly and it's a bit annoying (obviously), on top of being time consuming. It didn't crash like this in the old version, so maybe it has something to do with that. Also, the main reason I got this emulator was for Pokemon on my cell phone, I'd appreciate it if somehow you could get the save games to work so I could play it as it's intended or a cheat system that could edit the date and time. I think just a cheat system would suffice and be a huge improvement on the system. (Since there are some Pokemon I can't get on my version and the point of me playing the game is so I can fill my Pokedex; which I can't do without being able to trade. I thought maybe ActiveSync could act like a link cable or maybe having a functionality to run two states at once and have them linked?)

I'll try a couple other games besides Pokemon Silver and across different platforms to see if it's the emulation or my phone, though I would like some suggestions as to what games I could test this accurately with; something with a similar play style or that goes on continuously I guess. Maybe I should downgrade to the last version instead and see if that prevents the crashing too (Good idea actually, I'll do that, if I still have the installer for it, if not; hopefully there's a way I can get it?)

All in all, GameGear is pretty awesome; and I hope I payed the ten dollars to someone who will continually try to improve upon it and add new systems and features (even if it means compromising file size); the fact you've updated it and it's 4 (or 2?) years from when you first posted tells me that I probably didn't set aboard a train that's already slowing to a stop.

I hope you keep up the good work! I'll post again or edit this post when I have some more to add.

P.S. I recommend this emulator; in spite of the lack of some features, it gets it's job done well enough. Works alright on the Pantech Matrix Pro, if any users of that are out there looking.

Guest hockeyfan

I'm still having some issues with two specific games.  One is the NES game: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2

and the other is Sega Genesis: Might and Magic 2

With Romance, the ROM simply does not load.  All I see with SmartGear is a black screen -- no sound, nothing.  I know this is an issue with SmartGear, because other emulators (such as MorphGear) don't have a problem loading it.

The Genesis ROM does load and I see the display, but the sound is only partially supported -- I basically only hear scratching sounds.

I've tried every single video and audio setting combination, as well as alternate ROM files, but I still see these issues with these two particular games.

I'm running an unlocked GSM Palm Treo Pro with Windows Mobile 6.1.  If it helps, I can send you the ROM files directly so that you can see what the problem might be.   Thanks!

Guest bitbank

I don't have NES mapper #5 (MMC5) working properly, so those games currently will not run (Romance of the three kingdoms 2).

Might and Magic 2 works correctly. You need to check that you have a good ROM dump. The correct size of the BIN file is 768k, not 1.5MB.

L.B.