Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest bitbank
Testing 2.0.17

Touchscreen Controls chopped off in-game with Turbo Grafx, plus troublesome to navigate without a visible D-pad [0 orientation]

Can't test games out like before due to time limitation :(

Sorry L.B, not liking the translucent Touchscreen Controls, miss the D-pad from previous release as it was not interfering with gameplay (used to sit perfectly beneath the game in 0 orientation) and it was more accurate, just needed the bigger circular buttons (for A, B and C) like you have now and possibly a better looking D-pad.

But the Righty, Lefty Layout switch i'm liking :(

Touchscreen controls are being cut off because the TG16 switches resolutions dynamically from 320x224 to 256x224 on some games. I'll figure out a way to correct that. I'd rather not go back to a fixed d-pad because I find it harder to control. I also don't like the controls taking away screen real-estate. I think the current scheme is a good compromise.

All current registered users can send me your new 8-digit code and I'll get you a new registration code. I apologize for the inconvenience, but I had to get away from the "Handango" way of doing things once and for all.

L.B.

Guest Spoutnik

Smooth option is great but I prefer choose the fullscreen one to have a bigger image.

It will be good to add an option to choose a small area, like a corner of the screen, to go to menu instead of the double click

I prefer an invisible D pad too, the control is good like this (I finished the first level of flashback easly :( ) and I confirm that righty - lefty layout is a very good idea!

I have forgetten that "load state" doesn't work with genesis game and swith between "fullscreen", "smooth"... take effect after exit the game and load it.

Edited by Spoutnik

Guest t3hpyroboy

Hmm. When defining keys on the Snap, at least to keyboard keys, it changes the window focus.

Also: Do you know why I lost my saved states between 2.0.13(.14?) and 2.0.17? I thought you said that the .sgsav's would transfer between versions?

Edited by t3hpyroboy

Guest jonsmodaco

Hi Larry,

thanks for reverting to single-click for pause, that was a big issue before. Sorry to say that I think I've got a bug on my Touch Pro 2 (GSM if that makes any difference) with the latest beta. I like to change the keys so that the directions are on the left - this wasn't a problem before with the TP2 keyboard in previous versions of SmartGear. Now however while defining keys looks like it should work - eg, Up is "W" in the define keys list - I don't get a response when I try to play. In addition the space bar is no longer available as a usable key, instead Smartgear inserts the last (or random? I don't know) key that I defined.

Thanks,

Jon

Guest bitbank
when i load saved games from previous smartgear version (2.0.1.9), it's closed........ :( :( :o :o

Are you trying to load a game from SmartGear 1.x.x or 2.x.x? There was a recent change.

L.B.

Guest hockeyfan

Hi Larry,

I'm still noticing dramatic slowdown with Genesis ROMs, particularly with Might and Magic 2, with 2.0.17. As I wrote earlier, I tried downgrading the audio settings, but I noticed today that even though I specifically disabled stereo and 16-bits (and bumped audio down to 22KHz), everytime I started the Genesis game, the original settings came back! I verified this by pausing the game and entering the Settings menu. Sure enough, Stereo and 16-bits were enabled again, even though I forcibly disabled them under Settings prior to loading the game. I even deleted HKCU\Software\BitBank, thinking that perhaps there were some stale Registry entries, but I still was unable to de-select those audio options.

I think this is what is causing the slowdown, but without disabling those audio features and making my choices stick, I can't test for sure. Is there any other Registry entry or .ini files elsewhere on the device that I'd have to delete to make my audio settings stick?

Thanks!

Guest bitbank
Hi Larry,

I'm still noticing dramatic slowdown with Genesis ROMs, particularly with Might and Magic 2, with 2.0.17. As I wrote earlier, I tried downgrading the audio settings, but I noticed today that even though I specifically disabled stereo and 16-bits (and bumped audio down to 22KHz), everytime I started the Genesis game, the original settings came back! I verified this by pausing the game and entering the Settings menu. Sure enough, Stereo and 16-bits were enabled again, even though I forcibly disabled them under Settings prior to loading the game. I even deleted HKCU\Software\BitBank, thinking that perhaps there were some stale Registry entries, but I still was unable to de-select those audio options.

I think this is what is causing the slowdown, but without disabling those audio features and making my choices stick, I can't test for sure. Is there any other Registry entry or .ini files elsewhere on the device that I'd have to delete to make my audio settings stick?

Thanks!

Stereo and 16-bits are forced for Genesis and TG16 because that's the only audio that can be generated by the current code otherwise I would have to write an entire new set of audio routines for them. Generating 16-bit stereo audio and then downsampling it to 8-bits and mono doesn't make any sense. The sample rate is respected, but the other settings must be set that way. In the past, it was more hidden that it was doing that, but my new game engine needs it to be explicitly set.

L.B.

Guest t3hpyroboy

Mostly, I've had some issues mapping controls. I'd map them, and then if I closed the program and opened it again, it had reset them, especially if I had a game loaded at the time I was mapping them.

Guest hockeyfan
Stereo and 16-bits are forced for Genesis and TG16 because that's the only audio that can be generated by the current code otherwise I would have to write an entire new set of audio routines for them. Generating 16-bit stereo audio and then downsampling it to 8-bits and mono doesn't make any sense. The sample rate is respected, but the other settings must be set that way. In the past, it was more hidden that it was doing that, but my new game engine needs it to be explicitly set.

L.B.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the explanation, as it explains why the betas from a few months ago ran the Genesis audio perfectly (I was still able to downsample). However, I'm afraid hard-coding these values for Genesis audio is less than optimal going forward. At least on my phone (GSM Palm Treo Pro), the 400MHz CPU is too inadequate to handle Genesis audio at the forced levels you have them set to currently (even on the non-full screen mode). It skips and stutters horribly.

Short of getting a newer, faster phone, I'm not sure what other alternatives there are... :(

Guest dablo
Are you trying to load a game from SmartGear 1.x.x or 2.x.x? There was a recent change.

L.B.

from 2.015 to 2.017. not 19. sorry my fault.

but i can play my saved games on 2.0.15 if i change my date to a month ago and i insert again the key. still i cannot play on 2.017.

i have a problem too with mapping keys. solution: i set step by step by changing the key and then i close with task manager. i open again smartgear using task manager. i set it one by one until it all changes. done. i can define all the keys.

Guest bitbank
Hi Larry,

Thanks for the explanation, as it explains why the betas from a few months ago ran the Genesis audio perfectly (I was still able to downsample). However, I'm afraid hard-coding these values for Genesis audio is less than optimal going forward. At least on my phone (GSM Palm Treo Pro), the 400MHz CPU is too inadequate to handle Genesis audio at the forced levels you have them set to currently (even on the non-full screen mode). It skips and stutters horribly.

Short of getting a newer, faster phone, I'm not sure what other alternatives there are... :(

The settings change is not affecting the emulation speed because as I explained, it's always been 16-bit stereo. I changed the SN76496 emulation to do it the "MAME" way and that's why things are running slower. The audio may be more "correct" now, but it is definitely slower. I'd rather have it play at decent speed and a little less accurate, so I'm going to revert to the old code.

L.B.

Guest hockeyfan
The settings change is not affecting the emulation speed because as I explained, it's always been 16-bit stereo. I changed the SN76496 emulation to do it the "MAME" way and that's why things are running slower. The audio may be more "correct" now, but it is definitely slower. I'd rather have it play at decent speed and a little less accurate, so I'm going to revert to the old code.

L.B.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the explanation. Is there a way you can offer both as an option? I'd hate to see all the work you put into the accurate sound emulation to go to waste. For those of us who have faster phones, the "MAME" emulation might be a good choice, while others with slower phones can use the slower but less accurate sound emulation. How feasible would this be to accomplish?

Thanks!

Guest bitbank
Hi Larry,

Thanks!

I was working on this over the weekend and haven't found the root cause of the slowdown yet. I definitely notice it as well. I've recently made some major changes to Genesis sound and video logic, so I'm going to go back and look over what changed and make sure I get it running at least as fast as it did before (hopefully faster).

L.B.

Guest TripFX

There is a bug on the Tmobile dash or version of wm, but when setting keys it freezes. i can press the End Phone key then pres the <- key and it works again til i set next key. It did not do this on 1.x nor do I know if its a problem on other phones. That is the only bug I found other then what others have mentioned already. Also for the capability list do you want me to start posting them here or create a txt file and send you it. Let me know.

Guest ScreamingFalcon
Isn't this a beta test?

Think of it more as a closed beta. The 2 minute limit is for you to find out if your ROMs work with it.

Guest TripFX
Think of it more as a closed beta. The 2 minute limit is for you to find out if your ROMs work with it.

Yes it is beta not quite sure if its closed beta. I have bought a license and sent L.B. a pm with the machine ID to get a working license for 2.x series

just cause the game may load and play does not mean that it will work all the way thru without any problems. Which is why i am working on a capability list. for L.B. and everyone using or curious of using smartgear.

Edited by TripFX

Guest bitbank

I've debated the 2-minute limit versus an end-date for limiting the beta, but in the past, pirates have taken advantage of any opening, so I must keep things locked down for now. It's been really hard lately to find time for SmartGear, but I'm still trying to fix/add each week as much as I can. Here's the latest news:

1) Added "rewind" feature. Can be invoked from a key/button or menu item when paused. Rewinds the current game 4-6 seconds in case you make some "fatal" error in a game and want to replay it. It does this by saving the current game state every 4 seconds into a memory buffer.

2) Added the "C" button to touchscreen controls for Genesis and fixed the clipping issue.

3) Working on Genesis performance. Lately I've made some infrastructure changes to the Genesis code which made is more accurate, but slower. Now I'm going to dive in and speed it up again.

4) The Desktop PC version is slowly catching up. I think I'll make the UI identical to the mobile version now.

5) I've begun rewriting the Yamaha FM sound emulation for better performance. This will take a long time, but at least I started :).

6) Still looking into supporting Morphmodules so that you can play GBA and SNES in SmartGear.

7) I started adding 6-button support to Genesis, but got sidetracked. I'll get back on that as well.

L.B.

Guest jonsmodaco
I've debated the 2-minute limit versus an end-date for limiting the beta, but in the past, pirates have taken advantage of any opening, so I must keep things locked down for now. It's been really hard lately to find time for SmartGear, but I'm still trying to fix/add each week as much as I can. Here's the latest news:

1) Added "rewind" feature. Can be invoked from a key/button or menu item when paused. Rewinds the current game 4-6 seconds in case you make some "fatal" error in a game and want to replay it. It does this by saving the current game state every 4 seconds into a memory buffer.

2) Added the "C" button to touchscreen controls for Genesis and fixed the clipping issue.

3) Working on Genesis performance. Lately I've made some infrastructure changes to the Genesis code which made is more accurate, but slower. Now I'm going to dive in and speed it up again.

4) The Desktop PC version is slowly catching up. I think I'll make the UI identical to the mobile version now.

5) I've begun rewriting the Yamaha FM sound emulation for better performance. This will take a long time, but at least I started :).

6) Still looking into supporting Morphmodules so that you can play GBA and SNES in SmartGear.

7) I started adding 6-button support to Genesis, but got sidetracked. I'll get back on that as well.

L.B.

Wow, all these features sound great (particularly the Moprhmodules and rewind), I'd even donate again if it helps you find the time. Shame about the pirates, is US$10 really that much to some people?