Sega GG + Nintendo GameBoy emulator for SP beta test

Guest bitbank

Guest bitbank
whens the new version coming out. Also never got a new key for the last beta to keep testing games on : (

You're right - I thought I would have more time. I've been working non-stop for a client since last week and I finish on Friday. At the end of the day I have no energy to do anything else :huh:. I haven't forgotten and will get some progress when I'm done with this contract.

Please send me a note ([email protected]) and I'll get you a new reg code.

L.B.

Guest hockeyfan

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the update. We look forward to testing new betas so that the final build of Version 2.0 can be released. Hopefully, the slowdown with the Genesis ROM Might and Magic 2 that I reported in the previous builds can be looked at and resolved.

Thanks!

Guest TripFX

Thanks for the update and not going to worry about the reg code til next release. Also I hope the pm i sent you about the reg system helps you out.

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the update. We look forward to testing new betas so that the final build of Version 2.0 can be released. Hopefully, the slowdown with the Genesis ROM Might and Magic 2 that I reported in the previous builds can be looked at and resolved.

Thanks!

Hmmm wonder why you have the slow down and i don't on might and magic 2. using v2.0.17. Here is my phone and specs if you wish to compare it to yours.

Phone: HTC Excalibur / S60

OS: Windows Mobile 6.5.3 standard (i also use Wing Linux (with is droid)

CPU: OMAP

Speed: Overclocked 216mhz (default is 200hmz)

Ram 64MB

Guest hockeyfan
Hmmm wonder why you have the slow down and i don't on might and magic 2. using v2.0.17. Here is my phone and specs if you wish to compare it to yours.

Phone: HTC Excalibur / S60

OS: Windows Mobile 6.5.3 standard (i also use Wing Linux (with is droid)

CPU: OMAP

Speed: Overclocked 216mhz (default is 200hmz)

Ram 64MB

I know that Larry released some betas earlier this year (I guess in January or February? I don't recall exactly) that eliminated the Genesis slowdown, at least with that particular ROM. Then with subsequent builds, the slowdown somehow got reintroduced. Larry mentioned that it had something to do with the accuracy of the sound emulation (the more accurate the sound emulation, the higher the CPU load). I believe Larry mentioned that he would be removing the extra code to allow for less accurate but faster emulation. There is also some issue with the Qualcomm chipset my device uses, on which Larry was able to confirm and replicate the slowdown.

I'm using:

Phone: unlocked GSM Palm Treo Pro

CPU: Qualcomm MSM 7201

Speed: 400Mhz (native clock speed, not overclocked)

RAM: 100MB

Are you able to play the Genesis ROM called "Might and Magic 2: Gates to Another World" without graphical or sound slowdown on full-screen video?

Edited by hockeyfan

Guest jlccarv

i have a HD2, how do i use the touch screen to control a Genesis game? its seems, you can configure the touch screen to have D-Pad controls or ABC, but not both?? or am i missing something, lol... cheers =)

dear bitbank,

still, sometimes i have same problem (lagging) even using cooked rom.........

BUT i finally found the problem!!!!! the problem appear when i check "auto frame skip". If i uncheck this option, the games run smoothly and i didn't find any problem. So, i don't have any problem with video render......

if anyone find this kinda problem, just uncheck the "auto frame skip" option. :huh:

dear TripFX,

i'm sorry. i have late to give you "the compatible games list". i'm very busy lately (we have serious disease problem in my country). also, i have lagging problem like my previous posts. in the other hand, i have more than 300 NES and GBC games to test. i'll send you my list as soon as possible.

hope for the best.

no problem i've been pretty busy my self. Just send me the list whenever you get a chance no rush. the more we can gather up the better for everyone that uses smartgear.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hockeyfan
dear bitbank,

still, sometimes i have same problem (lagging) even using cooked rom.........

BUT i finally found the problem!!!!! the problem appear when i check "auto frame skip". If i uncheck this option, the games run smoothly and i didn't find any problem. So, i don't have any problem with video render......

if anyone find this kinda problem, just uncheck the "auto frame skip" option. :P

This was one of the first things I tried when trying to run the Genesis ROM Might and Magic 2 (along with reducing the sound output and video settings), but it did not make a difference. I even tried disabling throttling, and when the game gets to the main screen, the FPS drop to about 15-20. :)

I'm hoping Larry will be able to revert to the code that he had in an earlier beta from January-February of this year which completely fixed the slow lagging problem (at least with this particular ROM).

This was one of the first things I tried when trying to run the Genesis ROM Might and Magic 2 (along with reducing the sound output and video settings), but it did not make a difference. I even tried disabling throttling, and when the game gets to the main screen, the FPS drop to about 15-20. :lol:

I'm hoping Larry will be able to revert to the code that he had in an earlier beta from January-February of this year which completely fixed the slow lagging problem (at least with this particular ROM).

i also try this trick on might and magic 2 too. same with you, cannot find any different. a lot of games also has this problem too.

Note:

If i'm not mistake, when i set the game with the "uncheck autoframe skip" or other setting (GENESIS setting), the emulator won't let that happen and revert to original setting. maybe this is the problem. i found it on 2018. you can check it either.....

tell me if i'm wrong....

edit: oops..... my fault. sorry. i try it again. nothing problem with the setting. arrggghh........ the only thing that error is my brain.

Edited by dablo

Guest hoanzlmann

Hi Larry,

do you plan to add support for the widcomm bt stack as well? I have the hd2, and a zeemote control from another phone - would be cool to use it but as far as I know it's working only with the microsoft bt stack.

Or is there a way to change the bt drivers on the phone? HTC's drivers are s*** anyway..

thanks for your great work!

this is what i'm talking about (Playing might and magic 2 using 2.0.1.8) :

1. i check sound support without stereo and 16-bit audio quality. i assume that maybe it can run smoothly with less quality.

2. i start playing the games.

3. as you know, the fps games not more than 30 fps.

4. i open setting again.

5. surprisingly, i found that sound support, stereo, 16-bit audio, all of them are check.

post-611528-1284871285_thumb.png

post-611528-1284871300_thumb.png

when i run games without sound support, it run with appx. 60 fps. NICE!!!!

my handheld:

samsung c6625. ROM 6.5 cooked (Revalution). Procc. 393 mhz (233 mhz).

Hope for the best...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hoanzlmann
hope we get a new update soon or at least get a progress report oh whats going on very soon.

Yea, I'm waiting too.. Seems that Larry is very busy at the moment.. that's OK I guess

Meanwhile I solved the problem for me - I use GamePro driver for HD2, works very well, but sucks battery fast in combination with smartgear. I would be lucky if there is native support for widcomm bluetooth..

Edited by hoanzlmann

Guest bitbank
Yea, I'm waiting too.. Seems that Larry is very busy at the moment.. that's OK I guess

Meanwhile I solved the problem for me - I use GamePro driver for HD2, works very well, but sucks battery fast in combination with smartgear. I would be lucky if there is native support for widcomm bluetooth..

I am sorry about the delays in releasing new builds. I have been super busy with work and personal stuff lately. In the old days, I was my own boss and worked on SmartGear when I felt like it. Now I work for a big company and have a tiny bit of free time (sometimes) in the evenings and weekends. There are no big plans for this weekend, so let's see what I can get done :)

L.B.

Guest hockeyfan

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the update. Hopefully, you can resolve the problem with the Genesis ROM Might and Magic 2 slowdown, as we have previously discussed. Looking forward to helping out with more testing! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest virganda

Yeah... im waited new update for the new smartgear for my Motorola Q9h... When I try the Smartgear v2xx, it freeze when I try to setup keymap for the games... I didnt get this error when try smartgear v1xx version...

So please fix this bug dude... n I waiting for SNES emu in SmartGear :)

• 1 month later...
Guest hockeyfan

Hi Larry,

Any updates to SmartGear? It's been a few months since we've gotten any new betas to test. We are eager to see if you have been able to resolve the Genesis ROM slowdown with Might and Magic 2, as we have discussed at length in the past.

Thanks!

Guest bitbank
Hi Larry,

Any updates to SmartGear? It's been a few months since we've gotten any new betas to test. We are eager to see if you have been able to resolve the Genesis ROM slowdown with Might and Magic 2, as we have discussed at length in the past.

Thanks!

Thanks for the ping. This weekend I was working on fixing some issues with bluetooth connectivity to BGP100 & Zeemote and fixed a bug in my Z80. I'm not sure I will get to fix all of the games with issues, but I would like to finalize version 2.0 and the things holding it back are BT connectivity and touchscreen which shouldn't take long to wrap up.

L.B.

P.S. I am starting to play with Android development. Nothing worth showing yet, but it looks like SmartGear could do well as an Android app.

Edited by bitbank

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jonsmodaco

Thanks for the update Larry, good to hear about the Android build - I don't own a handset at the moment but know it will be next one so I'd like to carry on playing games on the go.

I was wondering if you had time to look at a bug with Smartgear (the beta) - I'm trying to play the MegaDrive version of Another World/Out of this World and the screen stays black. Yet exiting the game gives a valid screengrab in Smartgear's preview window of last played games, but returning to the game and hitting start exits the game. I've tried different Roms, any ideas?

Thanks.

Guest bitbank
Thanks for the update Larry, good to hear about the Android build - I don't own a handset at the moment but know it will be next one so I'd like to carry on playing games on the go.

I was wondering if you had time to look at a bug with Smartgear (the beta) - I'm trying to play the MegaDrive version of Another World/Out of this World and the screen stays black. Yet exiting the game gives a valid screengrab in Smartgear's preview window of last played games, but returning to the game and hitting start exits the game. I've tried different Roms, any ideas?

Thanks.

I tried "Another World" and saw it hang with a black screen. The bug is in video status code which didn't return a valid hblank bit. I made a change and now it appears to work. I'm not sure about the screen capture, but the game is no longer stuck. I'll include this fix in a release soon...

L.B.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hockeyfan

Hi Larry,

Any chance we might see the final version of SmartGear 2.0 before the New Year, or should we be expecting it afterwards? We look forward to trying out the new version!

Thanks!