Pauls C500 Review - Updated 12/08 23:45

Guest PaulOBrien

And another quick question that I forgot to ask. Is it possible to http://smartphone.modaco.com/search.php>Search for a contact or diary entry easily on the SPV in the same way as you would on a Palm or Outlook?  

I presume this is possible on the P910?

Simon

It's not as easy on the P910 as it is on Palm.

On the C500 there's nothing built in but there's a third party program called SmartphoneFind which searches in Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Notes, Email (and in all other files I think although I haven't had to try this and I cannot remember without the phone in front of me).

It works a treat. It sounds like you are looking for the same things that I wanted. A good phone, not too big, with really good Outlook integration and the ability to replace my Palm for all the essentials.

I went for the C500 (SP3i on order actually) together with PowerCalendar (not essential but very nice to have), PowerTasks, SmartPhoneNotes and SmartPhoneFind.

Guest simonainley

Hello again. Well I finally stepped in and got the Orange SPV C500.

I seem to have a problem! With my old T610 I had voice tags set up so that I could put on the bluetooth headset and use voice tags to call hands free in the car. It worked a treat.

I have been trying to get my SPV to do the same thing. After various chats with orange they tell me that voic tags can only be used directly with the phone NOT using ANY external devices. This includes my blue tooth headset and the Orange supplied wire / earpiece!

This was a major feature for me since I spend a lot of time in various cars (hence not wantingit hard wired)

Is there anything I can do short of taking the phone back? Is there external software available?

Thanks again Simon

Guest Phil Lee

Voice dialling can be activated on the C500 by pressing and holding the connect button on a bluetooth headset or by pressing and holding the volume down key. Voice dialling cannot be activated when the keypad is locked. I have no problems activating voice dialling on my C500 using my Plantronics M3000 headset provided I have unlocked the keypad first.

Guest simonainley

The headphone sign was showing and the voice tag did work. Infact it worked first time and called the person intended. The only problem was that the call went through the phone and was not transmitted to the headset!

I have now received a call on the bluetooth headset and made one using a speed dial. The bluetooth does work. It was the Orange helpline that assured me that voicedial and external devices wouldn't work togther.

I will try again making sure the keypad is not activated and see what happens. I just wondered (because apart from this the phone seems great) if I can't resolve the issue with internal software whether anyone knows if the Cyberon or Fonix software works with bluetooth headsets?

Thanks again for all the help.

Simon

Guest simonainley

Bluetooth problem solved, faulty handset replaced by Orange. It now works well with Bluetooth headset. Thanks for all the help.

On a slightly different matter can anyone recommend a reputable company to down load a polyphonic ring tone? I fancied London Calling by the Clash but despite paying it didn't download. Now they want me call on a premium rate number for further info. Feels like I'm throwing good money after bad?

Simon

Guest Disco Stu

I think I can say without fear of contradiction that there are no reputable companies selling polyphonic ringtones for MS Smartphones.

Well, Orange maybe.

But the results will be so horrible you'll want to make your own wav / wma ringtone and have real sound playing instead.

:)

Guest ZygMalian

Hi Paul - good review, although read after I got my SPV.

I do have one question however - is it possible to change registry settings, so that when the charger is plugged in, for instance in the car, and I'm using my bluetooth headset, the keys can stay lit?

When it's dark, it's a bit fidly having to try to find the joystick to get the keys to light up?

Zyg :)

Guest mcfc2134

Picked up the C500 yesterday - had the original SPV and was ensured by Orange that this handset was a major improvement, which so far I think is!

Anyway, back to my point, I've got the phone connected up to my PC with no trouble using the USB Sync Cable. I've been looking for a USB cradle - so I can charge the phone whilst having sat at a nice angle. Had a look around but can't seem to find one to purchase from anywhere.

Anyone know where I can pick one up from, and if so, how much am I looking at paying? Bought a 512mb Mini SD Card yesterday for £45 - can't wait for that too arrive!!

Cheers

Tim

Guest Confucious

Tim, a simple search of this forum would have told you that thetre is no cradle available for the C500.

Hope you enjoy your new phone apart from the lack of cradle and one or two minor bugs it is a brilliant little phone.

Guest mcfc2134

Sorry, never thought about searching for it.

Shame about there being no cradle, would have been a great little addition.

Overall, very impressed with the phone - far better than the original SPV!!! Loving the ringtones I've downloaded and the skins!

Guest Michel Merlin
Tim, a simple Search of this forum would have told you that thetre is no cradle available for the C500.

About search on forums, people divide mostly into 2 categories:

1. The ones who have tried. They all have discovered, found, checked again and again, that search on forums doesn't work (i.e. is inefficient, uses more time than other ways).

2. The ones who recommend to search - and have never tried (or they would have switched to the 1st category).

Belonging to the 1st one I did s search ("C500 cradle") which returned 58 results; in the very few actually addressing the question, I found:

- HTC Typhoon & Variants (C500 / Audiovox SMT5600 and others): "Coming soon: www.wmdevices.com "

- C500 sync cradle: "A third party manufacturer is working on a cradle"

- C500 Accessories? Blue tooth? and cradle questions: "will be announcing approx 14 + new products to complement the new C500"

However I personally find a cradle useless.

Paris, Sat 18 Dec 2004 15:58:00 +0100

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest roscoe141

I have installed the mobipocket reader on my phone but oviously it only plays particular file types.

I have a folder full of eBook PDF files on my PC but the problem is getting a piece of software to play them on my C500 SPV or software that can be used and I will try and convert the pdf to a different format. Surely some computer/SPV whizz has come up with something?

I bet Paul has the answer. Share Share Share. :?: :lol:

Guest roscoe141
I have installed the mobipocket reader on my phone but oviously it only plays particular file types.

I have a folder full of eBook PDF files on my PC but the problem is getting a piece of software to play them on my C500 SPV or software that can be used and I will try and convert the pdf to a different format.  Surely some computer/SPV whizz has come up with something?

I bet Paul has the answer.  Share Share Share.  :?:  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Help :'-(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mobipocket

I have a folder full of eBook PDF files on my PC but the problem is getting a piece of software to play them on my C500 SPV or software that can be used and I will try and convert the pdf to a different format.  Surely some computer/SPV whizz has come up with something?

I bet Paul has the answer.  Share Share Share.  :?:  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Mobipocket Reader does not read native PDF files.

The Help file gives you the list of file types you can read with Mobipocket Reader.

Guest roscoe141
The Mobipocket Reader does not read native PDF files.

The Help file gives you the list of file types you can read with Mobipocket Reader.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Repligo does everything I need. Thanks for your reply anyway. :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.