Pauls C500 Review - Updated 12/08 23:45

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest SMYKUL

Am I missing something ? Paul says something about infra red eye, whats that ?? Is this a new thing or just a thing which my SPV1 doesn't have? :? lol, apart from that great review ! :D

(p.s. Does anybody know where I can trade an SD for a minisd ? Lol, I only got my 256 SD at christmas !)

sorry about the infra red eye thing, i though he meant it was an option in the quick list. lol, that'l teach me for browsing the site at 2 am. :P

Guest Pagemakers

Great review Paul. I'm really looking forward to this phone.

Do you know if Steve Kay's T9 Editor works on the phone. It would be a great way to populate your phone's T9 dictionary post purchase.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest nickcornaglia

Nice review! You've really polished up your writing skillz! A very pleasant read about a very pleasant phone! :P And there is no U in favorites! Or colors for that matter! That's just for cheating in scrabble!

Guest mcwarre

Paul,

Nice one. Thanks! :lol: :D

I can't see if someone has asked......

Does the OTA method still work?

Cheers, Mick

PS. I would hate to have to mow the lawn on that back garden (joys of being a Tractor Boy I suppose) :wink: :wink: (only jealous of garden, not Tractor Boy) :P :D

Guest Paul [MVP]

What makes it worse, the missus won't let me buy a robot mower or a ride on mower, bah!

:-)

Oh, and the OTA method does still work!

gooner P

Guest Paul [MVP]

Infra Red eye is just the bit you point at things to use Infra Red, as found on all Smartphones.

Will try Steve's T9 editor later today!

I've been thinking about the T9 engine actually, it'd be cool to automatically generate the 100 or so most used words on MoDaCo as a base dictionary... I reckon most me the words it falls over on could be in there...

P

Guest weestian

Hey Paul.

I have a question regarding Internet Explorer. How does it handle websites? Does it now put the whole page on the display or do you still have to scroll around? What about frames and java? Does it handle these good?

Could you do me a favour and go to www.allmusic.com on the C500 and post and image of the result?

I am a musicfreak and use Amg about 2 hours/day, so this is really important to me :P

Thnx in advance!

Stian

Guest t3dluke

Just phoned the largest orange shop in Leeds who usually are one of the first to get the new phones and they just told me 2 weeks. Looks like it could be a while longer untill they'll be available in all orange shops. Probably be able to get them online first i guess.

Guest Blakey

Negative Point: Why am I so sceptical of the c500 going on sale this month? :-)

Positive (or at least not negative) Point: Paul, do you have a USB SD card writer thingy for your PC? If so, do you know if it will write to Mini SD (using one of those little sleeves to make the Mini SD appear like it's bigger brother)?? Or will we have to buy new Mini SD card writers?

Blakey

Guest bigmak

Great review Paul! Can't hardly wait to mine!

I have a question about homescreens: Do all 2003 Homescreens using the old Orange plugin still work or do they interpret the plugin the "new" way?

Guest Simon Desser
:   do you have a USB SD card writer thingy for your PC?   If so, do you know if it will write to Mini SD (using one of those little sleeves to make the Mini SD appear like it's bigger brother)??    Or will we have to buy new Mini SD card writers?

Blakey

Yes, when the mini SD card is in it's adapter, it behaves exactly like a full size SD card, so it works fine in card readers :P

Guest weestian

Thnx a million Paul! Really appreciate it!

It seemes to me that its much better than on my e100, and that's an improvement!

If you have the time Paul, do a AMG search on say Kinks or Small faces, and tell me if its possible to actually pressing the bandnames that comes up on the list, and if so, how is the discography page displayed?

I understand if you dont have the time for my bs, but if you do, thats great :P

Thnx in advance!

Stian

Guest Paul [MVP]

My laptop has a built in SD reader, and the Mini SD (SanDisk) I bought included aforementioned adaptor... and it works a treat.

Hurrah :P

P

Guest Blakey

Simon Wrote:

Yes, when the mini SD card is in it's adapter, it behaves exactly like a full size SD card, so it works fine in card readers  

Thanks Simon. I can safely get one then. :-)

Blakey

Guest weestian

Heya Paul!

Thnx so much! again, It looks much better than on my E100, in which i could'nt even press the bandnames and such when loading up the page!

So this is great news to me, even though it might not be perfect!

Btw, how is the voice recording function? Does it still studder and miss bits and pieces while playing/recording? Soundquality improved?

Thanks again :P

Stian

PS! Any idea when the C500 will be appearing in Norway?

Guest kevlar

Great review Paul. Quick question I don't think you mentioned, does the C500 poll multiple email accounts now or only the selected one as with the E200? this really bugged me with my E200.

Also you mentioned your plantronics M3000 no longer drops calls, this was fixed in the last E200 update thank God!

I am really tempted by this phone but the gaming bug has me put off for now, I play a lot of games on my E200. Also I'm not sure about the joystick, why can't they just give us a nice 8 way joystick and let you select between standard ( 4 way, best for phone navigation ) and gaming ( 8 way obviously ) in the settings?

Kevlar

Guest Paul [MVP]

I use Server ActiveSync (Exchange), so I couldn't tell you about e-mail accounts i'm afraid, maybe Gears or Brody can help out as they received phones yesterday...

P

Guest foxy11

paul, how long do u recon the games fix would take them?, according to the ppl my pre-order is with they were meant to recieve them today or yesterday, however orange have "held them as they arent completely happy yet". Just wondered what the chances of them rushing out an update were (i know its probably VERY unlikely).

The orange shop in Meadowhall (Sheffield) recieved an email yesterday telling them Weds 18th.

Guest mcolbeck

The phone looks fantastic, it just sucks having to wait for one!!!!!

I can't understand why people don't just buy a game boy if they want to play games!!!

I dont know if its just me but the general design of a phone just seems to be all wrong for playing games.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.