Pauls C500 Review - Updated 12/08 23:45

Guest PaulOBrien

not much to say about it at the moment - very early stage for the software, even for the hardware - it is postponed to 2005 so you can imagine how it works at the moment....

cheers, lutz

Guest fozzie

Had a good play with my C500 for the last 48hrs. Yeah, there's a few 'undocumented features' but overall, a great improvement on my Original SPV. The screen especially, is so much brighter and clearer.

One new thing I have noticed - Favorites (sic) supports nested folders.

Guest stuarthouse58

Thanks for the great review Paul, i think you covered just about everything!

I was just wondering, you mentioned a battery life test vs E200 was that with SD cards inside or not as i know that my E200 battery life is significantly reduced when the SD is inside?

Guest Playdoh

Paul

Great review!

I was pleased to find the new issue of T3 on my doormat this morning where they have a group test of 10 devices. Nokia 7610 is there, P900 is there and a host of others. Guess which is the only one to get 5 stars? C500 :)

I have some scans and will try to post soon but that put a big smile on my face this morning 8)

Playdoh

Does anyone know why the C500 is still listed on the orange website as coming soon? And when will it be available?

I want to get it from there because the contract offers are better.

Does anyone know why the C500 is still listed on the orange website as coming soon?  And when will it be available?

I want to get it from there because the contract offers are better.

It's because Orange Direct Sales is seperate from the Orange Shop, and the Orange Shops get priority for stock. The C500 should be with Orange Direct Sales within the next 10 days.

Guest squall

ive had mine for about eight hours now and in happy. i would describe the phone as similar to the e200 but with small improvements in every area. Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest The PocketTV Team
"]When doing (very late on) testing of this phone for Orange, I came across a bug. A bug that was found too late to be fixed in time for the retail build. (Why oh why didn't you get me the phone earlier Orange?) 

The bug is, put simply, that a large number of games do not run correctly. 

Many experience terrible flickering, some freeze, and some, yes, do run fine. 

Orange are currently working on a fix that I am hoping will be available soon, but in the interim, the gaming situation on the C500 is quite desperate. 

I supposed that you are refering to the GAPI issue, namely:

1) On the C500, GAPI uses DRAM buffer, i.e. it does double-buffering.

2) They did not implement GETRAWFRAMEBUFFER , something we tried desperatly to tell all OEM's: please implement GETRAWFRAMEBUFFER in all WM2003SE devices. See http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/vie...pic.php?t=26528

3) MSFT platform testing is still not testing that all the device's API's are correctly implemented by the OEM's.

Correct ?

So only games that can support GAPI with DRAM buffer (i.e. that call GXEndDraw to do the buffer-copy) will run, until a solution is found. And naturally, this is not very efficient, i.e. when you move a sprite. the display frame buffer must be copied.

Guest The PocketTV Team
Does anyone know if the C500 browser is capable of viewing framed web sites? I want to use my Delphi Forum on my phone....

No Smartphone has support for frames.

This is because navigation on sites with several frames is very difficult on devices that have no pointing device or touch screen.

Guest Paul [MVP]

It's not as straightforward as that, I don't want to talk about it too much atm as work is still going on to fix the problem.

One thing I will say is i'm thoroughly impressed by the response of Orange to this issue, and all the interested parties are really pulling together on this one!

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest The PocketTV Team

> It's not as straightforward as that, I don't want to talk about it too much atm as work is still going on to fix the problem.

Too bad you can't help (I understand, you have signed a NDA with Orange).

Many other people are working on that, so whatever the situation is, it will be exposed and hopefully solved soon.

Guest Paul [MVP]

I haven't signed an NDA with Orange, but I wouldn't post exact details of the issue without speaking to my technical contact first.

I will say that the issue is something that probably can't be fixed by the community - we'll be relying on the fix to come from HTC via Orange.

P

Guest The PocketTV Team
"]I haven't signed an NDA with Orange, but I wouldn't post exact details of the issue without speaking to my technical contact first. 

I will say that the issue is something that probably can't be fixed by the community - we'll be relying on the fix to come from HTC via Orange. 

We'll post all the information we find.

If you don't want us to post them on MoDaCo, let us know, and we'll post them on SmartphoneThoughs or some other forum.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Er, why would I not want you to post it here? What a strange comment, you can post whatever you like of course, we don't limit content except when it breaks our rules on piracy etc, but then i'm sure you know that...

P

Guest The PocketTV Team
"]Er, why would I not want you to post it here?

Because there are things you seem to know but don't want to post here...

So I was not sure if you would like others to post here the same information that you seem to want to hide.

Guest Paul [MVP]

No, I said that there is information I have been told by Orange that I would not lke to disclose without checking with them first, and i'm sure that you appreciate this.

'information I seem to want to hide' is clearly not actually the case, although i'm not surprised to see you interpret it this way.

P

Guest The PocketTV Team
"]information I seem to want to hide' is clearly not actually the case, although i'm not surprised to see you interpret it this way.

Ok, sorry, I understand better... I was probably not the only one to interpret what you said like I did.

Please provide all the information you have when Orange tells you that you can. I think it would help the Smartphone developer's community.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.