Pauls C500 Review - Updated 12/08 23:45

Guest PaulOBrien

Thanks for confirming that the multipress key and the mini-SD bugs won't be cured at all in the current version of the device

Bug.. err.. its just a design choice...

1. mini-SD uses less power.. so thats a good start

2. plugging/unplugging memory cards leads to failure.. I know this since we make products with various flash memory sockets in.. and the amount of failures we've had... I prefer the almost permanently installed card.. put a 512 in, and you are set for life.. (well at least the life of the phone)..

Admittedly, the scroller and button press at the same time issue, well its only games that are affected.. and even then its just a few... I've found plenty that work properly.. so not to buy a phone because it is not suitable for one or two games seems like being a bit too picky..

Historically I have had nokia phones that I always found easy to use.

I moved to the E200 last year and was generally very happy. There are a couple of things that really bug me about it that I was hoping would have been addressed in the C500.

:x 1) You can't SMS a contact (business card) to another mobile. If I want to text a phone number to another mobile user I have to look up the number in my contacts, write it down, create a new text and type the number in. Also if someone texts you a phone number that you want to save into your contacts you have to highlight the number, dial it, then go ro 'dialled numbers' so that you can save it - unless of course you get out the old pencil and notepad again. This were basic functions built into all previous nokia not-so-smartphones that I have owned.

:x 2) When texting in number mode, I cant easily enter a decimal point or a colon - making the sending of any number other than integers or times cumbersome.

:x 3) Doesn't have Copy Paste functionality for text

:x 4) When entering a Contact, the File As field is before the Company field. So if you want to file a contact by company name you have to enter name scroll down to and enter Company name, then scroll back to Files As field so that you can select the desired format for filing.

My wife just got the new C500 and I'm amazed that all of these issues still remain!

In addition to this I find the Select function on the 'joy stick' a random process. So often when I try to Select, I find myself scrolling down or to the right or left.

I dont think I'll be upgrading til the next version

Guest aristoBrat
My wife just got the new C500 and I'm amazed that all of these issues still remain!

I'm not sure why you're amazed. The C500 runs the same OS (Windows Mobile 2003) as your E200, no?

Valid complaints. Hopefully they'll get fixed in the next OS,.

:x 1) You can't SMS a contact (business card) to another mobile.  If I want to text a phone number to another mobile user I have to look up the number in my contacts, write it down, create a new text and type the number in. Also if someone texts you a phone number that you want to save into your contacts you have to highlight the number, dial it, then go ro 'dialled numbers' so that you can save it - unless of course you get out the old pencil and notepad again. This were basic functions built into all previous nokia not-so-smartphones that I have owned.

I keep wondering why this has never been implemented by Orange / MS / HTC. Is it possible that Nokia holds a patent on it and O / M / H simply don't want to licence it?

Rob

Guest beersoft

the vcard over sms is an open standard, and is freely available on the net somewhere (the nokia developers site iirc), its just finding the time for writing the app thats a pain to do.

later

Owen

fm radio???????????? who uses a fm radio on there phone????????? jeebuss it was just a rumour that it had one, and that was disproven hours after it was started

Yet it made it onto the in-store advertising, and is still on display in some shops :shock:

Guest evans.rhys.gavin

just wondering like heard off a friend that the c500's got a media player (obviously otherwise it wouldn't be a spv) but iv;e also heard its got a fm radio i know it isnt essential but it would be a nice touch anybody know anything about it thanks ;-)

A couple of questions:

Can I use an MP3 or WMA as my ring tone? If so, how do i set it, because in the sounds setup screen, there aren't many options.

Also, when it's hooked up to my PC, how do I surf the net thru my PC connection?

And can I send photos that i've taken by Bluetooth to other phones, like the Ericsson T610 and the like?

Also, can anyone refer me to a website with free apps for this phone.

And it only comes with a 16mb Mini SD card, right? (just checkin, i heard it was more before i ordered, might have been an error)

Many thanks.

Thanks for the great review.

Yesterday the Orange Sales rep called me and told me that my contract was due for an upgrade. Since I've been such a good customer, he said he could give me the C500 for free. Also he can give me a pre-paid package with a phone and some minutes on it. I'm going to try to swindle him into exchanging that for a bluetooth head set!

Now I can't wait for him to call me back, so we can make the deal final...

8) :)

Will be sitting here with a big smile on my face for the rest of the day!!

Computeractive Issue 173 (latest) has a small but glowing review of the C500 on page 30.

They give 5 stars and a it a "Buy It!" recommendation. :).

It also gets a mention on their Computer active recommends... page in the gadget section - page 84.

Obviously excellent and discerning judges of technology.

Guest Toyota-F1.com
Thanks for the great review.  

Yesterday the Orange Sales rep called me and told me that my contract was due for an upgrade. Since I've been such a good customer, he said he could give me the C500 for free. Also he can give me a pre-paid package with a phone and some minutes on it. I'm going to try to swindle him into exchanging that for a bluetooth head set!

Now I can't wait for him to call me back, so we can make the deal final...

8)  :)  

Will be sitting here with a big smile on my face for the rest of the day!!

Be careful when they say that ("You have been a nice customer") that's what they did to me, they said I'd get the E200 free, but they never gave it, I had so much hassle over it :lol:

I hope you get a call back, but if you didn't, I wouldn't be surprised - always take the full name and extension number of the person you are speaking to.

Guest Toyota-F1.com

And another thing, I can't really start another thread on it so I plopped it here:

has anybody noticed in the Orange book itself, it has a picture of the Orange SPV C500 (which as you know is Orange exclusive), but in the picture, where the network operator is shown, believe it or not, it says O2-UK!!!

I haven't got the brochure with me right now, but I think it's in the business section of it.

Can you believe it?!!!!

Guest mark4130

Be surprised if they do call you back.

I was meant to be getting a call back on Friday at 10am to sort out my upgrade the Orange rep had promised me to stop me from paying off my contract and leaving.. by 2pm there had been no call so I called Orange to sort it out myself.

This is when I then get told by Orange that the rep had put no note at all of our conversation on my account, I cant have the upgrade until Oct 25th, and there wasnt anything to indicate that I was even telling the truth!

Also the new system was implemented on 1st Oct that dictates what you pay for an upgrade and they cant even let me have the upgrade as way of an apology as they cant over ride the system!?!?

Basically I think certain reps are tellin people what they want to hear during calls to a)make their jobs easier b)have no cancellations against their name c)make it look like they have talked people out of leaving.

If ever you speak to a rep, make sure you get their name and ext number otherwise you will be made to look a fool.

Guest machiavell1

Incidentally, Orange won't phone you up. If you get a call, it will be from one of those dodgy outfits that buys your contract details/number on a mailing list, not Orange. although they will be authorised to sell Orange products, they try to get to you before you are due for your upgrade so that they can get the commission. Ask them whether they are from Orange, and they will try to worm around the topic, but they will eventually admit they aren't. They also try to give you a rubbish handset that most Orange dealers can't give away, and fail to tell you that you are agreeing to another 12 months.

I left Orange about 6 months ago, and I still get calls on my O2 ported number from these guys every now and then trying to sell me an Orange upgrade! As soon as they find out that I am no longer with Orange, they hang up without any explanation or apology until another one of them comes across my number again. Real scum.

If I were you, I would always ignore cold callers, and phone Orange direct. Orange retentions will give you your C500 for free if your spend is good.

• 2 weeks later...

hold on, so i can send bluetooth files thru Binary's Smart Explorer?

How? When I go to File, Send, it only gives me the option of doing it thru email or MMS.

Any help appreciated.

thanks.

Guest plumrico

And why didn't Orange include this in the 500 as is common in most (as far as I know) other camera phones.

Is it because then we would have to MMS and they make money from that???

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.