C500 Bug List

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest darnovitz

Paul, I'd recommend very highly, the Jabra BT250 Bluetooth headset. You can use it without touching the C500, via utilizing the voice activated or actuated calling!!! The sounds quality is impeccable!

Guest Pagemakers

1) No. Mine only locks up if I try to use the E200 Alarm plugin

2) No. Mine never has.

The C500 is a much better product than the E200 (still not perfect thought)!

Possible new bug!

Had this happen to me on at least 3 seperate occasions but could be an Orange problem - never had it on any other phone though. My phone rings and displays a known number (someone I know is in fact calling me), I answer it quickly (on first ring) and when it connects I can hear a tone as though I am phoning somebody, if the phone is answered I am connected to a random stranger who insists I just phoned them!

Windows Media Player Problem

When playing back video in .wmv format in full screen using WMP the video freezes after a while but the audio continues. After this you can't play in full screen until you shutdown WMP. You can see it in the play window though. Happens over a range of coding settings using a variety of different codecs.

Anyone else had this or found settings that work?

Guest sleepydruid

Bluetooth!

Having spent ages trying to get bluetooth to work correctly with Activesync, I referred the problem to Orange. The Orange data support team have been most helpful, and called be back to confirm that they also cannot get BT Activesync to work with the C500 dispite trying several PC's and BT dongles.

Is anyone out there experiencing similar, or is there a workround?

Everything is fine with the USB cable, but thats not the point, is it?

BT definitely works with Activesync. Easiest way is to set it up from the Phone NOT the PC!!! Have a look in the C500 forum or the Help and Advice forum for Bluetooth and Activesync.

Guest johnequinox

Dear Newsgroup

Here's another bizarre bug report for the C500 phone.

After having all sorts of problems getting an IMAP mail account to work and failing dismally because the phone hangs when disconnecting, I decided to go down the POP3 route instead.

So, our It Department set up a standard POP3 mail account and set up the phone to retrieve mail from it. I set it to download 'Headers only' in order to reduce the bandwidth as I have a lot of mail every day but a lot of it is junk. Our server automatically labels any spam mails with '[spam]' in the subject line so if I see any of these I just delete them.

Anyway, I decided to try this solution out on a business trip this week. All worked well for the first day and then I hit a bizarre problem.

- Opened POP3 mailbox

- Selected

--> phone went and retrieved all the headers - worked OK !

- I then went through the mail and deleted all the mails marked with 'SPAM'.

- I then went to a 'real' mail from a customer and opened it. It displayed the mail as an attachment so I selected to download the attachment.

- The phone then connects again to download the mail. However, when the mail appeared it was one of the SPAM mails I had previously deleted !

- If I quit out of the mail and go back to looking at the headers again, the header is correct displaying the correct sender and subject information.

- If I then re-open the mail it opens as one of the SPAM mails that i had previously deleted. Even the sender and subject are from the SPAM mail, not the mail I have actually opened.

So, it looks like there is some weird problem going on here where if you delete a mail, the phone gets confused and actually indexes to the wrong mail in the list. The problem is completely repeatable and I've left a couple of mails which exhibit the problem on my phone in case anyone needs me to debug it further.

Has anyone else seen this problem ?

Just to prove this wasn't a POP3 mail box problem, I set up Outlook Express on my PC today to read the same POP3 mail from the same account and it all worked perfectly. The offending mails opened perfectly in Outlook Express. So, the problem is with the C500 firmware and would potentially affect anyone doing POP3 mail. I'm not sure why POP3 worked OK for a day and then I hit the problem. It could be a problem when you download mails after deleting mails but I'm sure it will be easy to find the problem if the softy can take a look at it.

I am just about to give up on the C500 now as it definitely doesn't work with IMAP mail and POP3 mail sort of works, but exhibits this strange behaviour. This all stinks of badly tested firmware which is full of bugs. What's worse is that there doesn't appear to be any formal way of reporting bugs which is really annoying as this would be a good way of giving feedback to the manufacturer to fix the problems.

My advice...

Look long and hard at the C500 throught the window of the shop, but leave it a few months before buying it to give them time to fix all the bugs ! It really just isn't quite there yet.

I would welcome any comments on this subject as obviously POP3 is very popular. Orange told me to ring Microsoft to report the problem at which point I gave up !

best regards

John

I think the pop3 bug has existed on all smartphones. You select a header to download and then it downloads a totally different message. DOn't know if anyone found a good workaround for this, unfortunately. You could try looking at the E100/E200 forums cos it has been a problem since then.

Guest pisquee

OK, just read though the whole thread (phew!)

I got my c500 today, and am glad that the t9 is so much improved and that I can have delivery reports on globally. The bug I have found is that STILL (along with previous SPVs) is what the delivery report shows the number of the person's phone in international format, without the + symbol, and it does not actually reference this against your contacts list and print the name of the person.

Guest damo2576

Hi,

Its a great idea this thread but is anything actually been done about these bugs by orange/microsoft? Is there a proper reporting procedure or anything?

I've had my c500 and am starting to get seriously fcked off with it, pretty much everything is does is buggy in some way and the alarm clock, dont get me started on that!

Ideally I'd like to get dates round the bug fixes from them, so at least I can make up my mind whether to keep the phone or now.

Any opinions? Cheers guys,

Damo

Guest Pagemakers

In the end it did, but none of my SPV's have every locked up so bad I needed to do a hard reset. I'm guessing it is faulty so I am taking delivery of a dust free new phone in the morning.

Guest midnight

errr, i wouldnt say it is faulty, prolly just a corrupt reg, happened to me once on the original spv and a couple of times on the E100, definitely not worth replacing if a hard reset cures it.

Guest fozzie

You're obviously not trying hard enough :lol: Had my first semi hard-reset today. Thank heavens for Sprite Backup. Up and running again in minutes :)