C500 Bug List

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest pisquee

I think any excuse to get a new and shiny replacement is a good one ... as long as it is legal. Assuming you are paying for Orange Care, then you may as well use it.

Guest Pagemakers

In fact I had 2 hard re-sets in 2 days for no apparant reason. And yes, as pisquee says, I've now got a shiny new one - dust free, well for a few days at least.

I've had the C500 for about a week, great improvement on the E200. :)

... but since getting the phone I've not been able to turn call waiting on, it downloads the settings from the network and then when I set call waiting it says the settings could not be saved. I had call waiting set on the E200.

Not tried a hard reset yet or called orange, seems a little strange. :?:

EDIT: 7 or so SIM updates later all is fine. :lol:

Going through this thread has made me laugh more than once. Some of these bugs are just so far out! Like wrong emails being downloaded, backups being incompatible with ActiveSync, emails read are being dumped, inability to answer calls on hold and so on. I can just imagine the unfortunate owner (could be me!) pounding away at his C500, unable to make it do these quite simple task right :-)

Even though my number of postings here indicate I am a total newbie, try checking my profile. That's right, I enlisted here two years ago when the first SPV emerged. After 14 days I got rid of it, though, due to the huge number of bugs. Got a P800 instead, then a P900. Now that SE has created yet another keyboard for the same phone and again ask a premium price for it, I decided to give the SPV another chance, so I bought a C500 a few days ago. Looks like I may have been a year early or something like that...

My addition to this thread is this:

Attaching voice notes to a MMS IS possible, but you will have to make the note first, fire up some sort of Explorer, find the file and 'send' it as MMS. You will not be able to see the attached voice note in the MMS, but previewing the message confirms that it is there indeed :-)

And speaking of... What a terrible interface for the MMS! What are MS thinking? It looks like a two year old Nokia thing, and nothing is working. I can't even find where to set for how long the MMS should play...

Anyway, the SPV has come a long way during the past two years and it's now very close to being a real competitor of the SE Pxx0 performance wise, and a true winner on the size. Looks like MS might win the battle of the OS's on the smartphones too, if only they learn to do better bug testing and faster fixes.

Guest Pagemakers

Yeah right :^o

True, not installing anything or messing about with the phone. Very few programs installed.

Just finished talking to the Human League ticket booking line and the phone locked up. It would then not boot past the Orange screen.

Guest fozzie
Just finished talking to the Human League ticket booking line and the phone locked up.  It would then not boot past the Orange screen.

I'm not surprised! :)

Guest AJMouse

Looky here what I found (or isn't this the beginning and if not THE solution to the game problem?)..

GapiDraw SPV-500 issue resolved

October 05 , 2004

Today we released updates to GapiDraw 1.04b, GapiDraw 2.05 and GapiDraw 3.01c that fixes an issue with the SPV-500 Smartphone. If you have applications using these versions of GapiDraw and is running on the Microsoft Smartphone platform, please contact us for the download location. Please note that this fix is only relevant if you have a Smartphone application for the Microsoft Windows Mobile platform.

http://www.gapidraw.com/main-newsroom.php

Thing is you have to contact them for the downloadlocation, and I didn't get a reply yet.

If I'm wrong here excuse me, this is my first smartphone ever and I'm not sure about everything.

Guest Pagemakers

Just got this back from them...

We will only provide the SPV-500 fix to licensed GapiDraw developers.

Are you a registered user of GapiDraw? If yes, what version(s)? What is

the name of your application(s) you want to have fixed?

If you are not a licensed GapiDraw developer, please contact the

developer of the game you are experiencing issues with and ask them to

contact us for the fix.

Sincerely

Johan

Guest AJMouse

well thats not very cool, if of course this would be the solution.. or is this just something for developers?

I was just thinking something like "I have a games problem with my spv just like everybody with an spv, look, a solution to an spv problem"

Guest TeddyBare
Bluetooth!

Having spent ages trying to get bluetooth to work correctly with Activesync, I referred the problem to Orange. The Orange data support team have been most helpful, and called be back to confirm that they also cannot get BT Activesync to work with the C500 dispite trying several PC's and BT dongles.  

Is anyone out there experiencing similar, or is there a workround?

Everything is fine with the USB cable, but thats not the point, is it?

Orange Technical Support me simply told me that the C500 doesn't support activesync over bluetooth, in fact no data transfer over bluetooth.

I have another problem, and its weird. At home I drag and drop files to my phone, and they transfer just fine. If I drag from the phone to the PC, the file transfer dialog comes up, but when it finishes, the file isn't there.

It happens with evey type of file, any folder on the PC, no way to get round it so far. This is happening with WIndows XP SP2, and yet on my office PC, XP with SP1 it works fine, and drag and drop works great. Orange had no clues about this one, except its something to do with my PC. I turned firewalls off, removed antivirus, and still nothing worked.

Anyone got XP SP2 and a C500?

Guest Dr Who

Quick answer is don't drag and drop but cut/copy and paste.

Orange advised you badly, activesync works fine over BT. And you can send files vis BT using the default explorer. And receive files via BT as long as they are below about 500k.

Guest shadamehr

IMAGES ON THE STORAGE CARD CANNOT BE USED FOR WALLPAPERS (LIKE THE E200 WOULD ALLOW)

Or rather, the C500 will happily list them, and let you set them... Fine.

Until you reboot your phone, and it will show a plain white screen.

What a bloody pain.

Just tested this with my old E200 and it works fine.

AWarner has also tested this, and confirmed his C500 exhibits the same behaviour - damn!

(NOTE - I worry that this is because the actual real issue is the phone's inability to read from the Storage Card early enough during boot-up. In which case this is FAR more worrying...!)

Not that many of the problems are show-stoppers, unless you use IMAP mail or want to play games. Otherwise the C500 is still the fastest, most stable, BUG-FREE(!) of all the smartphone platforms I have used.

Hi,

Not sure if this is a bug or a "feature", but I'm trying to import a photo to use as a background.

Tried sending it to the phone via BT, and it wouldn't work, so tried to send it via an email.

Well, the phone downloaded the photo no problem. You can view the attached photo no problem, but if you try to "save as", or in any other way use the photo, you can't.

Anyone got any clues to getting this to work??

Many thanks.

How big was the photo? If it was over about 500k for some reason it disappears when sent by BT. Must be stored on the phone somewhere already - can you find it in file manager?

Guest shadamehr

Further to my post up above, about images stored on the SD Card used as Wallpapers not surviving a reboot, I have found something out...

They DO work ok and survive a reboot if using the Default Orange homescreen xml.

But using my OWN modified xml they don't.

I know this has affected other users too though so it is not JUST the xml I am using that has issues.

That being the case, can any clever peeps out there have a look through the xml I am using, and see if they can spot any reason why this xml means images chosen from the SD card to use as background walls (via the settings menu, NOT multimedia album method) don't survive a reboot...?

Thanks.

My code:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

Deemon

[email protected]

InfoDarkText11NoMRU

InfoDarkText11NoMRU

InfoDarkText11NoMRU

InfoDarkText11NoMRU

InfoDarkText11NoMRU

InfoDarkText111NoMRU

InfoDarkText11NoMRU

InfoDarkText11NoMRU

Call in progress:

SMS ()

SMS ()

MMS ()

MMS ()

Missed ()

Missed ()

I can't seem to reproduce this wallpapers 'functionality'.

If I open up an image from my storage card in the Multimedia Album and set it as the background, it sets correctly and is still there when I reboot.

---

EDIT: Apologies, clearly I can't read. I don't think that the problem is with your XML, it's more likely to be by design. Do you require the ability to change backgrounds using the Home Screen menu? If not, use below. But I'm guessing you do ^_^

---

As for the homescreen XML:

Firstly, how are you setting the background image?

In my homescreen I set the background using:

(as child of the document root)

Secondly, why not have all the files required for the homescreen stored in the "StorageApplication DataHome" directory - "professional" homescreens install themselves here and unless you have hundreds of them, I can't see any reason not to store the .scheme.xml/.home.xml and all resource files within this directory.

Guest shadamehr
I can't seem to reproduce this wallpapers 'functionality'.

1 If I open up an image from my storage card in the Multimedia Album and set it as the background, it sets correctly and is still there when I reboot.

---

EDIT: Apologies, clearly I can't read.  I don't think that the problem is with your XML, it's more likely to be by design.  Do you require the ability to change backgrounds using the http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewforum.php?f=43>home screen menu?  If not, use below.  But I'm guessing you do ^_^

---

As for the homescreen XML:

2 Firstly, how are you setting the background image?

In my homescreen I set the background using:

(as child of the document root)

3 Secondly, why not have all the files required for the homescreen stored in the "StorageApplication DataHome" directory - "professional" http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewforum.php?f=43>homescreens install themselves here and unless you have hundreds of them, I can't see any reason not to store the .scheme.xml/.home.xml and all resource files within this directory.

Hi mate - thanks for the input.

Alas, if I may answer the suggestions you raise one by one using the numbers I have added in the quote above...

1. As I indicated (and I think you have now realised, editing your post), if you set them via the Multimedia Album, I KNOW this works - as I said, and indeed, I suspect this is becuase the second you tell the phone what image to 'use' what it actually does is creates a 'cached' copy of this, which is then actually stored on the Phone memory, not the SD card (that's a guess, but whatever the case, i know this method works - it's just not a suitable method for me, as indicated by my answer 3 below).

2. I'm not setting the image in the xml itself at all, as the whole issue and idea, is to be able to choose from the many images I have - my xml file is in fact therefore just the most basic of information, in a small font, so that a wallpaper can be seen with as little text spoiling it as possible, so that I can choose any image I want. Thus, as I indicate earlier, Start > Settings > Homescreen, is how I set mine, again for reason 3 below...

3. The reason I WANTED to store them on the MiniSD card, and indeed, my very bleeding reason for buying it, is becuase I do indeed have hundred. Hundreds and hundreds in fact, running at around 10 MB nearly, last time I looked. SO clearly, the very reason why I DON'T want them on the Phone memory, but on the card I bought for this purpose instead.

I hope that puts it back into a better perspective mate - I'd certainly be interested in any help you, Midnight, or DrBlow can offer to try and resolve this.

Because I DO beleive it is resolvable, because the E200 SPV doesn;t have any such problem, and it's not an SD card issue I don't THINK, as the Orange homescreen allows for images off the SD card, that survive a re-boot...

Mmmmm

the problem is the same even with the most simplistic of homescreen s,

which would imply that the issue is either:

something important that is being left out of the xml

-or-

the os falls short when loading a selected bg image from the memory card

i'd be quite happy to say that it's going to be the 2nd one and is just another bug

i suppose as far as workarounds go, there's:

-writing an app to invoke the background on startup (read from registry)

-changing the bg image using multimedia album

-creating loads of homescreen xml files (with elems pointing to the img on the storage card) and changing that in Homescreen Settings rather than just the background image.

(this is in fact feasible, even if not desirable, as most homescreen layouts take up between 1-5kb. If you had a hundred of them the size would still be much smaller than storing the images on the phone).

One possible solution that doesn't work is setting it in the registry -

HKCUControlPanelHome, BgImage - changing this gives the same effects as via the Homescreen settings.

i'd suggest just using multimedia album -

your suspicions regarding the cached copy is correct - MA changes the registry value above and makes a file called:

StorageMy DocumentsiasethsX.bkf - however it DOES remove any other copies of your pictures, so it won't fill up your phone's memory.

(edit: i should say... it removes copies of previous pictures you have set as backgrounds)

i guess it's getting a bit off topic now but i hope this has helped

Guest shadamehr

No mate - its still bang on topic, cheers.

I also know that when it makes a cached copy, it clears the last one, for sure... but my point was, having honestly hundreds, and hundreds and hundreds of images, I didn't want to have to use the multimedia album method.

In the same way, the TIME needed, even copy and paste, to write many hundreds of homescreen xml files makes that method prohibitive too.

What I CAN'T understand, is the Orange homescreen allowing this though.

As far as i know, that DOES NOT create a cached copy, but the images nevertheless, survive a reboot.

So clearly, if it is NOT cached, then the SD card CAN happily be read at boot-up, and hence this is NOT the problem.

So we are a bit further forward, but still too far away it seems...