Max size of miniSD card in C500?

Guest Matx

• 1 month later...
Guest robertevans
What is the maximum size of the miniSD card that can be used in the C500?  I would like to use a 512mb card.

Cheers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1gb working on c500 and c550, go to ebay, around £48+pp

Guest MTroni

Hey guys

So far everything seems to be working up to 1 gb. I am wondering how far we can push it.... Any1 tried more than 1gb in the spv c500? plz let me know :-)

Cheers

M. Troni

Guest Disco Stu

Having got used to a 2GB SD card in my iMate Jam I'm gagging for a 2GB mini-SD for my Smartphones.

You can buy 4GB SD cards but the cost is still ridiculous. I have yet to see a 2GB mini-SD card for any price. Anyone else seen one for sale ?

• 1 month later...
Guest vimafeje

i buy 1 mini sd card on ebay for 65€(44£) excelent!!!!!!!! the phone is not slower, but if i want transfer data to my sd card, its much faster by the adaptator!!!!

recomended!!!!!!!

my SPV C500 is faster than a SPV C600 ...... is that normal?

Anyone know why?

Guest Vlan_One

Hi,

Sorry to hog the thread, but I have a SP3i and just bought a 512Mb Kingston MiniSD. I found that when I copy data from pc to MiniSD (whilst in phone) the phone would hang and I have to yank the battery.

Anyone else have the same problem?

thx

\/\/

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jakobdam
Hi,

Sorry to hog the thread, but I have a SP3i and just bought a 512Mb Kingston MiniSD. I found that when I copy data from pc to MiniSD (whilst in phone) the phone would hang and I have to yank the battery.

Anyone else have the same problem?

thx

\/\/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes.

I have the exact same problem as you - Kingston 512 MB miniSD and BIG troubles with the SPV C500 - unstability in all it's aspects.

And - I have an answer. Not that you'll like it though.

It seems that SD (as well as miniSD) storage devices can benifit from two architectures; multi level cell (MLC) and single level cell (SLC).

SPV C500 is only fond of SLC, which tends to be a bit more expensive.

The MLC has a shorter life time (even though it's perfectly acceptable), and what's worse - they are NOT compatible with SPV C500.

You can still use your miniSD in the converter for any digital camera using SD-cards.

But that's it, I'm afraid.

I started out thinking it was a firwmare issue - but now I've tried all kinds of firmwares on my poor C500 (which has now tried to be QTek 8010, IMate etc.). Finally I found the answer somewhere here on Modaco - that C500 only supports SLC.

Guest Vlan_One

Hi,

It seems to be only when I copy from PC to Phone. Otherwise it seems fine. I would struggle to copy a 40Mb Video clip to the phone, but when at last I got it on the card there aren't any problems with playback. I will settle for the minor inconvenience of having to remove the card when I copy big files.

I was just testing the water to see if there might be a software fix for something like this.

\/\/

I use a 512mb card in my C500, never had any problems.

I got mine from http://www.computerorbit.co.uk/

It was about £43, sadly I got the last one in stock and they don't seem to have bothered to get more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi

Just to add i obtained a 512Mb card for my C500 a few weeks ago from Ebuyer £24 delivered ahd no problems it has MP3's on and Tom Tom Maps...

Guest mitch1974
Hi

Just to add i obtained a 512Mb card for my C500 a few weeks ago from Ebuyer £24 delivered ahd no problems it has MP3's on and Tom Tom Maps...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

£24?!?!?

I feel robbed :)

Guest Disco Stu

With 1.5MB of music on my storage card it can take me 10 minutes extra to leave the house to get to work while I decide what to listen to.

What makes this particularly silly is that it only takes me about 7 minutes to walk there :roll: :)

• 1 month later...
I have the exact same problem as you - Kingston 512 MB miniSD and BIG troubles with the SPV C500 - unstability in all it's aspects.

I just found exactly the same problem, bought a Kingston 1Gb miniSD card via eBay. It locks up when copying after 5 minutes. Also TomTom Mobile and Destinator SP were locking up.

I've given up with it and just bought a 2Gb MobyMemory.com card which is supposed to be this SLC type construction. Not MLC like Kingston.

Edit: Just to add my MobyMemory card is working fine after a day or two of testing. I can copy without issue and the phone doesn't crash running applications. They also delivered next day, without any issues.

Edited by SSR