Press Release: World's Smallest Smartphone Goes On Sale...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest midnight

so it will be laying on the table with two crappy cables attached, INSTEAD of standing proudly in a cradle letting the screen face the person setting in front of it. :.....-( SHAME ON YOU ORANGE.

two cables???? the usb cable charges you know :)

i've been using a sync/charge cable for my spv's for ages, MUCH better than the cradle cos you can pick the phone up and use it as normal while still connected, invaluable for development :P

Guest blowdart
"]Voice tags only seem to work from the BT headset for me, not the wired one...

P

Bloody typical. I find it hard to get a BT headset that sits nicely with my glasses, damned scoop behind the ear crap is annoying and just doesn't work for me.

Guest MaximilianWeisheit
i've been using a sync/charge cable for my spv's for ages, MUCH better than the cradle cos you can pick the phone up and use it as normal while still connected, invaluable for development :)

so u have the phone laying on the table and when a SMS, etc comes in ... you have to pick it either up in your hand to see the message OR bend yourself over the phone (which is facing to the ceiling instead of the user's face) to see what kind of notfication you got.

Good one! ,-)

That's as stupid as making your CEO connecting this printer, etc cable by himself, everytimes he brings back his laptop from a business trip. - docking station = cradle = making your live easier.

PS: I have the SPV at the moment (in the cradle) right next to my laptop in reach of my right hand and leave it in the cradle when going through menues and what so ever. - no hassle for me. + Heidi Kulm (my SPV background picture) is always smiling at me instead of the ceiling ,-)

Guest SeaneyC
so u have the phone laying on the table and when a SMS, etc comes in ... you have to pick it either up in your hand to see the message OR bend yourself over the phone (which is facing to the ceiling instead of the user's face) to see what kind of notfication you got.

Good one! ,-)

Yes, but surely you have to pick it up anyway to actually get into the message to read it in the first place?! And i would think most people have different sounds for different types of notification?

That's as stupid as making your CEO connecting this printer, etc cable by himself, everytimes he brings back his laptop from a business trip. - docking station = cradle = making your live easier.

It's ONE cable. Even the MD at my old work had to plug in one cable for the mouse as he hated trackpads. Don't blame him either. And no he didn't employ me to plug that whole cable in for him....

PS: I have the SPV at the moment (in the cradle) right next to my laptop in reach of my right hand and leave it in the cradle when going through menues and what so ever. - no hassle for me. + Heidi Kulm (my SPV background picture) is always smiling at me instead of the ceiling ,-)

I never used the phone in the cradle because i kept pulling it out by accicent, and i was always scared about breaking the connector (how small?!)

Guest midnight

so texting is quicker while the phone is in the cradle???? i dont think so, hell, i can make/take calls, text, play games (for however long i want), play music, copy music over, watch films in landscape etc. all without unplugging the phone, i have a cradle and a sync cable, and i havent used the cradle in over 6 months.

Its a personal thing, but i find the cable MUCH more usefull than the cradle.

Guest isotone

woohoo, just got one today as a free upgrade from an e100 (with £30 back for that, or i could've kept it)... i was and am staying on the talk 120 £25 a month thing.

nice! :)

Guest Sonicr360

Just got back from 2 Orange stores (Southampton & Fareham).

Both of them did NOT have the C500 model shown as a selling phone.

Worse still, BOTH of them knew nothing about it! One told me that I wanted the E200, to which I politely and calmy advised him (the orange trainer!!!) that the C500 was a newly released model.

As he was still unconvinced about the phone, I went over to their Magazine Shelf, took out their Orange / Orange For Business book, went to page 13 and SHOWED him the bloody phone!

His reply was "Ah yes but it says coming soon, which could mean the Christmas period". He then went on "Certainly not a phone we have heard of".

ITS IN THE BOOK!!!! Christ, do they NOT even read what Orange publish???

And my reply to the Orange Trainer? Chucked the magazine down on the floor, told him to p**s off and walked out!

I know Orange is complete boll**ks, but THIS takes the p**s big style!!

Thankfully, experiences like this will NOT make me purchase this phone. And I am going to be very interested in seeing exactly what user reactions are to this..... I am almost willing to bet some more bugs and problems will be found again & again.

Can you imagine what my conversation would have been liked if I asked about the latest MPX 220 phone coming soon??

A very angry Orange Customer.

New Member! Read the comprehensive review on this site of the C500 and it convinced me to upgrade. I'd lost my trusty Nokia 8210e last weekend so the opportunity was there. Got Orange to give me a FREE upgrade though initially they wanted £79.99. (By Telephone)

Missed the Delivery driver today( gutted )but re-arranged for tomorrow so can't wait. I've used a HP IPAQ 4150 with WiFi which is great but this phone will be with me everywhere so looking forward to giving it a hammering to see how long the battery really last's....it could yet be returned to Orange if it won't last a couple of days!!

I'll post my initial thoughts asap

Guest cybercamel

Sonicr360, you need to come a bit further over into Chichester. They've got a dummy phone on show and promised me it would be on the system and available today. Haven't been able to check today but will be there at 9 tomorrow.

Mind you, the details given with dummy phone say's its got FM radio! :roll:

Guest Sonicr360

Swiss - I for one would be VERY interested to hear your comments on this phone please!

cybercamel - I am off to Poole this weekend actually, and I did talk to the orange shop who claims they have one available, however I think I am going to chill out for the time being and just wait for some further reviews and comments.

I appreciate the C500 is here .... I wonder what sort of response and reactions we will get with the MPX 220 ?

Simon

Guest Paul [MVP]

The MPx220 looks cool, but for me it's a little too chunky, added to which i'm not a fan of clamshells.

I was rather disappointed with the screen, which was smaller than the C500 and seemed poorer quality.

It remains to be seen whether Motorola can bump up the camera quality and battery performance significantly for production models.

If they can, then things could get interesting, if not, it'll be quite disappointing.

For me? Love at first sight with the C500, and I can't WAIT to see what the next HTC device is like to better it!

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest Sonicr360

Paul

Do you happen to know if there is going to be a great PROFESSIONAL Phone Kit for the C500, and if the Bluetooth works with an IPAQ for GPRS connectivity to the internet?

Glad you are pleased with it. I think today was just a very very bad day in dealing with Orange. It really got me annoyed with their attitude.

Simon

Guest Paul [MVP]

Do you mean a professional car kit?

Not tried with an iPaq i'm afraid, I don't have one any more :)

Yeah, you have good and bad days with O, their staff quality (like anywhere) is pretty variable... but TBH, it's the same on any network (or indeed in any retail sector!).

P

Guest Sonicr360

Hi Paul

Yes my apologies, what I was referring to was a professional car kit that allows you to get the sound FROM the actual car speakers.

I had the E100 and got the Orange SPV Pro car kit, which consisted of a terrible phone holder, bad wiring and a tinny speaker that is useless when on the road!

Something that you can use, hands free, while the phone is on charge and can be heard through the cars normal fitted speakers.

Or am I asking too much! :)

Guest Paul [MVP]

A professional car kit IS coming apparently, but I have no further details... I'm probably gonna go for a Parrot BlueTooth kit. Doesn't charge the phone tho ;-)

P

As Promised on my earlier Postt.

Initial (brief) thoughts on the C500.

Background: Used to have Nokia 8210e (very trusty) so Colour Screens,Camers etc all new to me never mind the SmartPhone stuff.

Basically i was sceptical but i'm keeping the phone.

It is as i thought and too messy to just be a phone....things were quicker and easier when it came to calls/txts with the 8210e.I'll get used this new one i'm sure but a phone should be that...a phone.

Battery life looks excellent and it has had a good hammering as promised over the weekend.The camera stuff is fun.

GPRS/WAP is quicker than i thought but will really push the bill up so that will have to stop.

Doesn't tell you that the Alarm is set on home screen...annoying as i like to know its set before going to bed without have to go 3 screens in to check.

Also couldn't use the snooze this morning...it wouldn't respond.

Nice size and weight...not light but just enough to let you know its there.

MMS doesn't seem to work...i've tried sending/receiving to different people but we all get the same kind of message."there was an error downloading the file/attachment"

Also a strange thing...if you use different Apps or functions then go into Task Manager then all those Apps/Functions still seem to be running in memory....very strange.this of course limits how much memory you have available.Unless of course you close them all down.

The handsfree kit is useless..like them all.Or is it my Ears...anyway the headphones just fall out or come loose.Very annoying so its in the bin.

I probably won't use 80% of the functionality of this phone but it looks good in a pub/party...second looks everywhere.That is until everyone else gets one as Orange are giving them away....why?? I wonder.

I think after 12 mths i'll be looking for another phone thats gets back to basics but its still early days.!!

Definately worth a look at Price (free upgrade for me!!) and does look better in Black

Interesting comments on the cradle for the C500. For those that haven't bought an E200 recently, have a quick peek at the Orange site: E200 On Orange

You'll notice that the usual cradle we all expect as part of the bundle is now an accessory for a cool £39.99!!

No doubt this is Oranges way of easing the blow for C500 buyers. Don't include the cradle, wait till they demand it, release it for £40.

Now thats a nice little earner for Orange. Wonder what smart arse thought that one up!

Guest leo-balou

I have been using the phone with a Parrot CK3100 car kit for a few days now and this is the only bluetooth car kit that I have got to work faultlessly with a Smartphone. The phone paired instantly, incoming and outgoing calls are faultless. You have to "push" your contacts over via bluetooth and then add a voice tag to them but it all works extremely well. Caller ID is transferred to a small screen (and is matched against contacts) linked to the BT kit on the dash board. The parrot kit connects directly with your cars audio speakers, call quality is excellent as is noise reduction on the microphone.

The only downsides are that you cannot charge your phone (which is not a huge problem as I am on my 3rd day without charging with BT ON), the other gripe is that in low signal areas the calls tend to drop - best place your phone somewhere where it can get a better reception - no fixed arial.

Basically get in your car with the C500 in your pocket and forget you even have the phone - the Parrot CK3100 takes over and makes driving a much safer experience.

I also have an M1000 pda phone and this works with the car kit but not quite as well as the C500.

Guest gcparris

Got my C500 from an Orange shop yesterday. Must say I am very impressed. No problems so far and it is very fast compared to my old E100.

Gareth

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.