c500 - IS IT JUST ME?

Guest afroahmed

Guest rubric

well, people usually mistakenly equate small to pretty, so why don't we leave them as that. i'm just angry that people are so bowled over by something that took obviously so little effort to design.

Guest rubric

well, people usually mistakenly equate small to pretty, so why don't we leave them as that. i'm just angry that people are so bowled over by something that took obviously so little effort to design.

Guest Phil Lee

How do you know it took little effort to come up with the design of the C500? The best designs are those which when you see them appear to be obvious. It's just that no-one else came up with them before. The C500 is the best phone I've ever used. Its form fits perfectly for the job is has to do. This is an example of good design.

Guest rubric
How do you know it took little effort to come up with the design of the C500? The best designs are those which when you see them appear to be obvious. It's just that no-one else came up with them before. The C500 is the best phone I've ever used. Its form fits perfectly for the job is has to do. This is an example of good design.

I am not dismissing its simplicity as poor design. Sony Ericsson are the best example of simple elegance, with proportions and geometries conservative, but pleasing to the eye. This one's just wrong. I wouldn't go so far as to say an engineer just slapped two pieces of plastic that hugged the inards as tight as he could, but it's close. I'm surprised no one's noticed its similarity to the Nokia 2100 yet. When Nokia's designers come out with something like that, they sell it CHEAP.

I know the phone is good. I have doubts about getting the MPX220 for its small screen. I might eventually have to get the C500, and that's why I'm so pissed that it's so fugly.

Guest zen123

IMHO C500 design is simple & elegant. Button layout is well thought out & on the whole the phone looks balanced. It wont win a design awards & the 'trendy' set will always prefer a Nokia or even SE over this but as they say fashion is fickle.

As for the Mpx220...definately a more eyecatching design but its a flip phone & I don't like flip phones so I'd always choose a C500 over it because of that 1 factor.

i'd say that the best looking phone i've had is the t610, and the c500 comes very close to it - i liked the shiny blue & black of the mpx200, but i'm not a flip phone fan at all, even though it felt comfy on the ears...

basically, if you think back a few years with regards to pc's when windows 98 came out, the average processor was a 166mmx, now, we have a phone with a similarly fast processor, that's only slightly bigger than a frys turkish delight...

nokia seem to have gone a bit wierd on the design front, a fabric phone?! - animal eyes?! - the 8310 was probably the pinnacle of nokia...

nice one htc!

Guest AngelOfRage

I haven't seen the C500 in the flesh yet, but my point of view is this: i have the original SPV and still think it looks good compared to my mates plasticy nokias and SE's. I think a simple design works better, anything that looks "to flashy" will only look outdated quicker.

the only nokia i do like is the 6230 which keeps a simple black design, so im looking forward to Oct. 3rd when i can upgrade to the C500!

Guest snowgoon

Designing a piece of user hardware that is usable is much much harder than people realise (trust me, I've sat in on the meetings). So before you go spouting off an opinion, do some research.

Ohh, and if you think you could come up with a better design, why not mock it up and present it on here and let us critique it! :wink:

Nice one people, add confusion to the matter, let them get away with the design for the time being, they have enough problems trying to get a working phone together, once they have that sorted then we'll get onto them about design :)

Guest afroahmed
I think a simple design works better, anything that looks "to flashy" will only look outdated quicker. 

So a solution to this was to build a phone with a design which was simular to phones which have already been oiutdated 3 years ago?

So your saying that to avoid a fone going from looking really good to bieng outdated within a few months :/ ...... you simply do not make the fone look good in the first place???? Thank god you do not design fones!

Guest rubric

Designing a piece of user hardware that is usable is much much harder than people realise (trust me, I've sat in on the meetings). So before you go spouting off an opinion, do some research.

Ohh, and if you think you could come up with a better design, why not mock it up and present it on here and let us critique it! :wink:

By that do you mean to say an audience at a ballet performance are not entitled to say the ballerina made a mess of her performance unless they knew how to dance themselves?

As a designer, which you seem to imply you are, you know we can't excuse our poor design by saying the end-user, being untrained in design, do not have a right to judge what we produce.

Bollocks!

And really, you are really biased if you can insist the keyboard did not come straight from the 2100!

well thankyou for sharing our opinion, we now know that u aint bothered about how your fone looks or feels, wow if only there were more people like you in this world, crappy fone companys like Siemans would be rich ...

only george bush could come up with a deffence more out of context than that...

Guest simonbratt99

well i have the E100 and i think it looks embarassing now, roll on my C500 in the 5th sept.

C500 (black) looks refershing different in a world of boring silver phones.

I mean.....really the screen says it all.

(i like flip phones, had the T100 samsung, was fun, but feels like a toy now)

Guest barrybryce

I definitely wouldn't go as far as to say it was an ugly phone, but I think it would look much better in silver!

If anyone gets the Orange logo off the phone though - let us know how you did it!

I definitely wouldn't go as far as to say it was an ugly phone, but I think it would look much better in silver!

If anyone gets the Orange logo off the phone though - let us know how you did it!

i use the old school way of removing labels off things -> lynx spray deodorant (get loads of it at christmas, never use it) and a credit card...

and it still looks bugger all like a 2100 :shock: