Dust on the screen

Guest mcolbeck

Guest kingronnie

I seem to remember there being a review of the C500 which had pictures of it in various states of being dismantled, but I can't find it anywhere. If someone could find that then we could see if there were seals in place on the beta test models.

Guest Dectomax
how about anyone posting some real close up macro pics of the gaps or non gaps where dust is getting in, then we can compare to see if some are built differently than others.

I'll have a go when I get home. Seems that gap (if you can call it that) around my button is no more than 0.1mm if that. BTW i never knew that holding the volume button down opens the voice notes app. :?

Guest bosshogg

I've noticed two things about mine: the power button isn't straight and there's quite a big gap between the right side of the button and the case; and there appears to be a bigger gap between the right side of the screen and the case than there is on the other sides. I wonder if it's coming in there... :?:

Guest ajfoggy

One week on and still no dust, I can see the Led through the gap between the volume button and the case.

I have still have my screen film on from when I bought it, I have just taken it off and notice that there is a small gap between the silver trim of the screen and the black of the phone case.

Could this be where the dust is getting in as the film seals this gap and I have no dust :?: :?:

Guest RazorD

I took some macroshots of the "holes" on mine (i dont have dust) i hope it helps. :)

Volume Buttons:

www.gladdy.co.uk/c500/DSCF0001.jpg

www.gladdy.co.uk/c500/DSCF0001_small.jpg (For Dial-Upers!)

Top:

www.gladdy.co.uk/c500/DSCF0002.jpg

www.gladdy.co.uk/c500/DSCF0002_small.jpg (For Dial-Upers!)

Camera Button:

www.gladdy.co.uk/c500/DSCF0003.jpg

www.gladdy.co.uk/c500/DSCF0003_small.jpg (For Dial-Upers!)

Bottom Left of Screen (For me, there is a small gap here, Really annoying cause sometimes my hair gets caught in it! :P)

www.gladdy.co.uk/c500/DSCF0004.jpg

www.gladdy.co.uk/c500/DSCF0004_small.jpg (For Dial-Upers!)

Guest bosshogg
Really annoying cause sometimes my hair gets caught in it!

me too!

Nice photos. The only difference I can see between yours and mine is my power button is definitely crooked. Also I seem to have quite a gap between the IR port and the case.

Guest mavisdavis

:) My god after all the complaints of the SPVClassic I cant believe some of the earliest faults of these phones are coming back to haunt us. This thread has made my mind up I'm not upgrading just yet. FWIW do the MOTO's have the dust problem and also will O charge you £15 admin fee for every replacment you claim.

My joystick recently stopped qorking on my E200 they charged me for a bloody replacment. I'd hate to have to replace a C500 and get charged for the pleasure :cry:

God sake when will we get a decent phone i wonder???

Mavis lives in hope :wink:

Guest zeta101

youd think HTC would have learnt the lesson by now.

Is it at all posible that they would tweak the design and better seal the screen? or are there too many phones in circulation already? i mean if O had to replace a good chunk of phones then they wouldnt make any money at all, and for what they call a "cosmetic problem" i doubt they will bother.

It looks like some people got lucky, or is it some people have been unlucky. We need everyone who has a c500 to say whether they have this problem or not. This way we can tell if its the minority that have the problem (due to the odd bad build) or not.

Anyway, i have noticed a speck of dust near the volume key.

Paul is there any chance this can get stickied or put on the portal?

Guest meatgrinder

terrible stuff guys, i feel for you all :)

seriously tho, thats a s*** of a problem, tho, i've had my c500 for a week now, and no dust in mine at all :-/

Dave

Guest MaximilianWeisheit

you suck ,-))) - me the idiot clicked on the link ,-)))

anyway, I wonder if this is only with the black c500 or also with the champagne and silver.

can you guys report any dust built up with the silver or champagne models?

also when reporting please let us know which model (black, champagne, silver) you have.

also are there different builts for the black c500?

Guest bradmatejo

They're guaranteed to keep the dust out with only a minimal reduction in sound quality and keypad useability :)

(I'm not the seller btw so please don't be angry at me if they run out of stock due to high demand) :P

Hmmm, this makes me wonder if I should wait with buying the C500 until the dust problem is fixed...ARGHHHHH!!! WHY'O WHY!

I never thought dust, DUST of all things would be the most annoying problem in a phone with all that technonlogy..

(by the way, dust means idiot in norwegian...) how ironic..

Guest dshaugney

Mine is the same as on the photos but I'd swear there is more of a gap between the volume key and the black case. If I look through the gap I can see some insides (no protective membrane). I have dust under the screen.

Guest peekie

my C500 is so far dust free not like my moto which also suffers from dust and the upcoming mpx220 has the same problem from what i've read on other websites there does not seem to be a dust free phone out there ,hopefully krussel will get a case made as those seem to stop the dreaded dust getting in , or a simple way clean the house and pockets more :roll:

Guest snakeeater

Had my phone for about a week now. No dust whatsoever.

Not enough room between the buttons for dust to get in I wouldnt say.

Oh one thing which may be a factor though. I took the rubber bung out of my E200 and used it on the headphone socket of the C500 because it doesnt come with one.

Maybe this has been my saviour?

Guest dshaugney

I've had enough....I'm heading to an O shop next week to see if they can replace my handset. It's better at letting in dust than a vacume cleaner.

I really really hope that it's just a doggy batch. If a get a new one I'll have a look that there is no gap between the keys.

Still need to find some time to call htc...tomorrow

Guest SirGaz

Just been into Orange shop in Meadowhall and they point blank refused to replace the phone despite about 30 to 40 specs of dust around the volume buttons. Their attitude stunk as well to the point of implying that they couldn't do anything about it and that I would have to take it further if I wanted it sorting.

One solution they did propose was to go to the O2 shop where thay have a repair facility and get them to take it to pieces and get the dust out. So what does that do to my warrenty!!

I'm contecting Orange CS now to see what they can do but I think I'm going to have to go to the top on this. Anyone know the email address for the chief exec?

Guest meatgrinder

ah well, after ~8 days of c500'ing, the horrible dust thing has struck mine :'(

its all around the corner of the screen closest to the volume keys - its a balls of a problem

ar-sole htc designers! :'(

Dave

Guest dshaugney
Pictures of my phone here

and here

Xactly what I have, but also more by the camera button, though not as bad. I'll give it a whirl in the solihulll and brum city centre to try and get it replaced in the next few days. I don't have orange care - but it seems the phone they sold me is defective.