Dust on the screen

Guest mcolbeck

Guest zeta101

anyone who is taking thier phone back should point out the O salesperson that you have been in contact with a lot of c500 owners on the internet and that its been discovered its due to bad build quality in a few of the phones. Clearly some people have bigger gaps between the volume buttons that others, you should try and make it clear that its a build fault, the case is misaligned, and the dust is a side effect, dont just moan about the dust.

SirGaz i suggest you take your phone back again or try another store, and this time emphasise the case/buttons are misaligned (and the dust is a side affect)...i dont see how they can argue against this as the case is clearly defective.

I only have one piece of dust (quite big too!) near the volume rocker...so im lucky.

anyway, good luck returning and getting a replacement!

Guest techno12

Had the phone for 3 days now, no dust as far as I can tell, though the screen is scratched to hell (1 evening of it being kept in my jeans pocket caused that). Oh well, at least I don't have to be anal and protective over it anymore!

Guest SirGaz

**Update***

I have just been on the phone to OCS and told them about the dust and they said that it would be replaced no problems. As I bought it from the orange shop in Leeds then I need to go there to get my replacement but there is a note on my account to say this can be done.

Guest mcolbeck

I just rang OCS and they gave me a fault code that i need to give to the shop where i bought it and they would replace it.

Dead worried though cos presumably its just gonna happen again.

Can anyone advise on what our rights are as far as periods of time etc.

Guest LarsDK

SirGaz's dust problems seems really bad....Had the same problem with my classic but it took several moths to build up that amount. After I got it fixed, it placed a piece of scotch tape over the left side of the phone and the problem didnt return. You can buy some scotch tape that turns almost invisible when it is placed on a surface, it worked like a charm. People could only tell that it was there around the buttons where there was some air under it, but not much if applied properly...

Maybe someone will try it to see if it is the buttons or the speaker thats causing the problem....?

Guest dshaugney

Oh no...after waiting for half an hour and just got on to speaking with the bloke the call was dropped...poo.

Anyway, is it neccessary to go into the problems sub menu or can I just speak to the customer representative?

Guest dshaugney

Ok I've just been told to go replace it at the shop...no fault code or anything. Can I have yours please?

Yenyway...another question... would they replace the whole box or just the handset itself? Cos I would prefer just the handset.

Guest Toyota-F1.com

Reading the responses I was thinking SirGaz' problem was massive, but the picture doesn't look tooooo bad.

This thread just helps me realise how much a good version of the SPV3 I have, in that it has none of the problems an E200 is supposed to have, and it doesn't even collect dust in the screen, which I think is pretty amazing, even my alarm clock has dust piling in! And I'm the sort of person that would find it really annoying - I used to take the covers off my Nokia 3310e regularly to clean it :)

Guest peekie

what might help is when people respond to say the sort of area they work in ect as my phone is dust free and this phone gets alot of probable dust attacks due to the area i work being a dusty area so maybe iam lucky as well :wink:big question is is this a 100% black spv thing or also a silver problem :?: :?: :?:

Guest saxineno

I checked my phone this morning and there was a huge dust build up, I was all set for ringing customer services but somehow it all disappeared by lunchtime!

Lucky me!

Guest techno12

How on earth is dust getting into a sealed tft screen unit?.

Is there another screen that's part of the case (ie just a plain piece of plastic), and the dust is getting wedged between the bottom of this and the top of the tft screen itself? Don't want to open my new c500 up to find out how it's constructed, esp as I don't have the dust problem (yet!)

Guest mcolbeck

Well I took ownership of my C500 on 14/08/2004.

By the 22/08/2004 I started to notice dust collecting.

Now i have dust on nearly all parts of my screen.

I have a fault code for my phone but OCS say i need to go to the shop where i bought it. I went there yesterday and was told that they dont have any and tey rang round all the stores within a reasonablke distance and they didnt have any.

When i asked about cancelling my contract the girl got very nervous and said if i was over 14 days in then i coulddnt do it can anyone advise me of my rights etc.

Guest smason5

I'm wondering what the cause is. I have an i-bead mp3 player thing and it is notorious for having this dust problem. However, to me, it looks like the dust is attracted electrostatically behind the screen. I say this because of the position and pattern it tends to make and also the fact that it seems to cling to the screen.

Could this be what's causing the problem on the SPV ? Are there any physisists out there who can comment ?

Stuart

Guest Phil Lee

It would be useful to have a proper record of who has had their C500 replaced because of dust. That way anyone wanting to get OCS to replace their phone can quote some other instances.

As for the dust in my phone, since I put a PDA screen protector on it, I can no longer see the dust, even though I know it's there. I will be peeling off the cover at the end of the week to see how much dust has built up before deciding on what to do next. Once thing is for sure, my phone is nowhere near as bad as SirGaz's.

Guest dshaugney
My new C500 is on its way to me between 9 and 1 in the morning.

More luck with this one hopefully

Likewise!

Went to the O store today as per CS instructions to get a replacement...when I get there the nice lady rings CS again (gets put on hold for 1/2 hour) then tells me they can't do anything about it.

Reluctantly I call CS again and a nice woman says they'll send me a new replacement. yippie

I'm gonna seal the volume and camera holes on this one with a resin material.

There are specs of dust on the screen on my brother's t630. But you can only see it when the phone is off. When the phone is on, it's impossible to see the dust. I looked at the pic's of sirgaz's phone and I can garanty it's the same amount of dust in the t630. Can you people see the dust on the C500 screen when the phone is on?

Guest TigerNet

...looking at those pictures, I ask myself whether there are different phones out there...

I notice in the photos that the home icon and arrow are a light grey, whereas mine are dark, also the answer and end buttons look much brighter colours than mine...

Is this a trick of photography or a real difference??

Cheers

Nick

...looking at those pictures, I ask myself whether there are different phones out there...

I notice in the photos that the home icon and arrow are a light grey, whereas mine are dark, also the answer and end buttons look much brighter colours than mine...

Is this a trick of photography or a real difference??

Cheers

Nick

mmm, and another thing, the soft keys in the pic look gray, where as mine are Black :?

(I have no dust btw)