Dust on the screen

Guest mcolbeck

There are specs of dust on the screen on my brother's t630. But you can only see it when the phone is off. When the phone is on, it's impossible to see the dust. I looked at the pic's of sirgaz's phone and I can garanty it's the same amount of dust in the t630. Can you people see the dust on the C500 screen when the phone is on?

The large collection of small particles can't really be seen with the screen on, it does appear hazzy though, like a finger print on the screen kind of thing. The couple of large flecks can be seen though and are really annoying.

I'm still waiting for the local stores to get more stock (hopefully tomorrow) before I can replace it.

I've had my phone for about a week and i noticed a little fleck today while using betaplayer, i thought it was a dead pixel at first but then i noticed how the light was reflecting off it rather than it just being grey. i had some other dust after about a day but it disappeared, maybe the c500's screen does that depolarisation thing monitors do when they switch off when you switch off ur phone. cus all i did was switch it off to charge and the next day it was gone. hope the same thing works tonight. good luck with the dust you guys. and if you don't already, try switching ur fone off to charge, u neva know...

Guest dshaugney

Got my new c500 in delivery this morning...now I'm looking for a suitable sealing agent. The volume and camera keys are looking alot tighter this time round but the power key seems to have a slightly bigger gap.

Guest mjheathcote

A suitable sealing agent I would try (if I had a C500, waiting for the beta testing to be complete...) would be dum dum sealing putty.

Found at most automotive parts factors, in a yellow 'treakle' tin with black writing, called DUM DUM sealing putty!

It is a non setting, non sticky putty, so it remains flexible, and is black in colour!

An old product used to seal around holes, seal around chrome trim to revent water ingress behind etc.

If you can't find it, ask your dad or grandad, they will know the stuff if they tinker with old cars!

Mike.

Guest simonbratt99

im wondering...

The people who say they are getting a replacement because of the dust, are they being told the replacement is manufactured differently (or the builds different).

Otherwise whats to stop the same thing happening in another couple of weeks?

Simon

Guest Phil Lee

The dust in my phone has got a lot worse over the last week so I contacted OCS again half an hour ago. I spoke to the most helpful bloke ever there. I said that there had been a continuing build-up of dust in the display. I said that it looked like itwas getting in through a gap by the volume rocker and that I thought this was a fault with the particular phone. I mentioned that other people here had had handsets replaced for similar issues and that other people weren't haveing any problems at all.

He went through the fault diagnosis system and logged the fault as an "other" screen fault. After logging the details of the fault his system didn't rase any objections or queries so he said that he could replace the phone as being faulty under the Sales of Goods Act. He was pleased to see this option on his system since it gave him an easy option to go through to keep me happy. He said that they didn't used to have this option on their computer system so it seems O are working to improve things. The upshot of this is that I will be getting a new C500 tomorrow morning.

I've attached a couple of photos to show the dust and the gaps by the volume and camera buttons. The camera button looks OK but the volume button is large enough to see the flashing connection LED through.

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

Guest Br1an_g

just sold my 6230 to get a C500.

the dust on my 6230 was a real pain in the ass, but as it had interchangeable covers it was easy to remedy.

I can see me taking my C500 apart as soon as i get it, prevention is better than cure and all that :)

yesterday i purchased a black and decker mouse ( mini sanding unit ) this came with a small attatchment for the vacuum cleaner which is a simular size as the vol up and down button , as i got a piece of dust in my c500 i thought what the hell and switched on the vac and it worked , it was nice to see the dust being sucked from the screen now its dust free again :)

Just had my phone replaced bcoz the power button got stuck inside the case. Quite a lot of dust was getting in the phone in the 3 weeks I had it so I was glad to see the back of that one.

What I noticed about the new example I have is that the gaps where the volume rocker switch & camera button are a lot tighter. Infact I can't even see any gap so lets hope no dust gets in this time.

Guest wicked8

I am new to the forum and have read all the replies with regards to the dust issue with the new spv C500.

I was thinking? Even if you have the phone replaced by Orange, after a couple of weeks dust will enter the phone again.

My question is, is it possible to open up the phone? If so, you can just buy

one of those camera dust blowers to blow the dust off the insider of the phone... 8)

Some people go over the top with the dust problem a fellow worker got her new c500 and wrapped it in cling film till she can get some sort of case for it , as she read these postings over dust , the phone does still look ok thing she spent a few hours on that job :wink: :wink: :wink:

Guest MPXtricky

...dust under the screen after less than a week? outrageous! but a homespun 'fix' with sealant when the phone is barely out of the box is just as outrageous (imo). How many of us would plug leaks in the windscreen seals of our new autos if we had just taken delivery of the car less than a week before it rained? No sir - them autos would be straight back to the showroom for some new rubber and customer compensation.

Take them phones back and make Orange sort it out - how else will the quality be improved at the factory in time for my upgrade due December? :)

Tricky (ever the altruist)

got my phone today.

looks like the power button has the largest gap, with the camera and volume looking pretty tight. friend in work has one and his is visually tighter all around.

I will wait and see how i go with the dust issue..

Just noticed dust on mine this morning and I am in here reading this thread after a very short search, lookes like it could be a big problem. only had my black c500 about 3 weeks. One thing I am concerned about is if I get it replaced then it happens again. Going to ring OCS now and find out........ Rang them and they asked if it affected the operation of the phone.... talked to them for 5 mins about it and finally got told to take it back to the shop where I got it. Made sure they logged the call on their system though. I might see if I can get it replaced but don't think there is any point if it might happen again.

If you look at the photos at fcc (link in THIS post), then you can see that there is actually a piece of foam which seals the screen from the rest of the casing..

The "leak" is prob NOT where the upper and lower part comes together, but rather where the screen is stuck to the upper part of the casing.. As with the old Canary/Tanager and Voyager dust problems - you could get rid of the dustproblem by pressing the screen to the top cover before using the phone and clodding up the sticky tape with dust and stuff..

/J

c500_int.jpg

im.jpg

Guest barkythedog

ive just phuned o re the build up of dust in the same place top left hand corner, the bloke said he would phone me back in the next half hour but thinks theres nothing he can do but will give it a try.

Ehrw, this thread is scary :| I'm a proud c500 owner for almost a week and have not yet found any dust problems. *puts phone down* I really can't find any dust particles as of yet.

My camera-button looks very tight. My infrared and powerbutton both have a gap on the black-cover side. My volume button fits in quite good, however I am able to see the LED through it.

I really hope it's a 'build' problem, I've seen some very scaring photos of some unlucky folks and I really don't want it to happen to mine :|

So now we have the keypress issue, the GAPI issue and the dust-issue I take it?

well having had the dust on the top and fixed it now comes the horror looked today and i have dust build up by the start button :shock: :shock: :shock: so don't just keep an eye on the top buttons keep a check on the bottom 2 as well :wink: :wink: :wink:

Guest byron_hinson

Wish I had noticed this before I finished my review of it, because as of today I have dust appearing at the top and on the right near the camera button, well annoying.