Dust on the screen

Guest mcolbeck

Hi, I just tried to seperate the cover so I could try to blow the dust out. If anyone has looked there is a void if removed sticker that cannot be removed without destroying it over one of the screws. I thought I might be able to seperate the cover from one side only without taking that one screw out. Anyhow it didn't work, the middle section of the phone is held by the screws and the maid board is then somehow stuck to the front cover. I put it back together before I did any dammage :-)

there are also a couple of screws under the antenna as well ( black part above the camera ) if your parents have one of those black and decker mouse sanders borrow the vacuum atatchment as this will suck out the dust and if your lucky and can keep it by slightly melting it to make the hole smaller you can within 20 seconds clear the screen of dust , just add the phone to the weekly list on the vacuum cleaner :wink: :wink: :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest trumpetpants

I too have a problem with dust in mine after a few days of getting it but I'm lothe to get it replaced for that as I'm on my second phone as it is (the 1st had several dead pixels). Are O still being difficult about changing phones for dusty screen problems?

Guest Snappy

HOLD EVERYTHING... Help may be at hand.

I have compiled a tried and tested method of dust / cat hair removal from my trusty (if only 3 week old) Orange SPV C500.

***I must at this point say, that although this method has proved successful when I have used it, the author can accept no liability for damage or injury whilst carrying out the instructions below.***

Here is a list of equipment you will need:

1. Orange Cover @ £5 per month. – This is absolutely essential as things might go terribly wrong!

2. 1 bottle of single Malt Whiskey or Vodka depending upon preferences.

3. 1 roll of Duck Tape or similar

4. 1 Vax “Powa 4000” or Dyson DC04 – sorry lesser models do not have the suck!

5. Plenty of luck - you're going to need it!

The method of dust / cat hair is as follows.

1. Phone Orange to confirm that “accidental damage” is covered under the terms of your Orange Care agreement. – Things really might go terribly wrong!

2. Pour a generous measure of Whiskey / Vodka into a suitable container.

3. Drink the Whiskey / Vodka - you’re going to need the courage!

4. Cut a length of Duck tape (2 inches will do) and attach around the rim of the pipe of your Vax / Dyson. – this is to protect your C500 from possible scratching.

5. Remover the battery, sim card and miniSD card from the phone otherwise the Vax / Dyson will do it for you.

6. Pour more Whiskey / Vodka into the container and follow instruction No. three.

7. Switch on the Vax / Dyson and spend a good 5 minutes sucking from every angle you can find, inside and outside of the phone until the dust / cat hair is removed. Pay particular attention to the Soft Keys and the edges of the screen as this was found to be most effective.

8. Replace all the items removed in No. 5 and power up the (now dust / cat hair free) C500.

9. If the phone works then relax. If not, ring Orange Care back and arrange a replacement for the next day!

10. Repeat at weekly intervals until Orange fix the original problem and seal the phone!

Hope you have success with this & if it all goes wrong please re-read the disclaimer above!

Ta.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest inspectorgadjet

I contacted Orange on Thursday because I too was affected by the dust problem (and a dented case - not my fault!)

After I explained my issue with dust under the screen, they put me on hold for a short while, and checked up on their system, and quite readily offered to replace the handset. My nice new handset arrived on Friday evening....but they sent out a Motorola v500 instead of the SPV c500. I don't know how they got it wrong, because they were adamant that on their screens it said c500, but on the paperwork the courier showed me it definitely said Motorola v500.

So I had to wait another day for my phone. When it arrived I was really happy. They had sent me the silver one instead of the black. I always quite liked my black one, but after getting the silver one, I must say its a big improvement. I think it looks a LOT better.

I decided I best get a leather case for my phone this time round and make sure that it's well protected. I ordered the Krusell leather case from an ebayer with a site at http://www.morpethmobiles.co.uk for £8.99 and £2.00 postage - a bargain if you ask me, and it arrived this morning. Looks pretty good I must say. I do think they could've used a slightly smaller zip though. Other than that the case is great.

Guest Motofone

Jakob is right. I have had the C500 completely apart to replace the front cover and there is a gasket between the screen and the front cover (plastic window). If this has not been sealed properly it will let the dust in. Although I didn't have a dust problem before I brushed a thin layer of contact adhesive on the gasket before replacing the screen to ensure a good seal.

Cheers.

Guest Jasonkruys
Jakob is right.  I have had the C500 completely apart to replace the front cover and there is a gasket between the screen and the front cover (plastic window). If this has not been sealed properly it will let the dust in.  Although I didn't have a dust problem before I brushed a thin layer of contact adhesive on the gasket before replacing the screen to ensure a good seal.

Cheers.

A step by step guide to all you did with pictures would make you the most popular person on here :wink:

Guest Motofone

Sorry the phone is all back together now so photos would be a problem. I would warn that this is not for the faint hearted as the phone does not come apart easily. Try this link and down load the "internal photos" PDF file. https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/r...=919158&fcc_id=

It shows you the phone in broken down form.

Seven screws. Two under the top back cover. Three you can see when you remove the battery. One under the void sticker. One under the sd card, under CE sticker.

To get the top back cover off you have to push in two tabs thru the holes where the battery cover clips in and just lever it up enough to get your finger nail underneath. To seperate the front cover from the central body it is best to start at the top corner where the volume switch is.

When you put the screen back make sure it is spotlessly clean or like me you will have to pull it all apart again because I could see some dirt between the screen and lcd.

Good luck.

Guest ButterBun

Motofone your instruction is very useful! Thank you so much I had a success in opening up the upper back cover by following your tips ^_^

I'll just have to get a hold of the correct type of screw drivers!

Thank you once again! You're da man!

Guest shadamehr

Had my phone for well over a month now.

And just yesterday, noticed dust and a hair inside. Damn.

The right soft key IS INDEED the culprit folks... Not for the faint hearted this, but if you put your mouth over the buttons under the screen and blow, you will see the underside of the screen window fill with condensation. This will trail it's way back, in a line, to the right soft key - the left soft key will not be affected. There is a small 'gap' between the foam sealing round the window, and the screen below itself.

This is further worsened by the way the C500 has a lovelly perfectly flat (flush) screen at the top end, but at the bottom end, it actually has a curved face to it. Why couldn't they just keeo it flat all the way accross. Contrary to opionions, I actually think this is a FAILING in the C500, not a bonus, as it is nice and flat compared to some phones, but they should have kept this flatness of the screen all the way accross.

So, I hoovered, and managed to get rid of most of the corner based dust near this key.

But a hair right in the middle underside of my screen refuses to budge no matter what.

It would become a 'faulted' phone for return and exchange for a nice new silver one, were it not for the fact that I have already paid to have my black one SIM unlocked.

Darn.

Guest Confucious
Suppose i do open my phone and clean it out and put it back they way it was... is the Orange insurance going to be ok with that?

How will they know?

Guest ButterBun

Motofone,

I managed to take all 7 screws out. however the front-cover is still some what attached really tight aginst the main body. I tried to start with the volume control "gap", was able to lift that corner up a bit, but couldn't proceed further. Any tricks to that? or I need to dissemble other parts first (at the back of the phone) before I can get the front cover opened?

Thank you again for the help! ^_^

Guest Motofone

ButterBun

No easy way just keep easing it and the tabs on the metal front will come away from the plastic case. If you look at the pictures in the PDF file you will see there are three tabs down each side and one at the top. As I eased the front away I carefully managed to get a small flat screw driver and push the tab below the volume control. The case started to come apart down that side and the rest released. When putting it back put the bottom on first as you have to slot the earphone and usb connectors into thier slots first then snap the case closed.

Keep at it.

Guest ButterBun

Motofone, I managed to opened it up finally (before I came across your reply). I used a small flat screw driver as well, and yeah I noticed the 3 tabs on each side and was able to easy them up one by one starting from the vol control.

Now that I got a dust-free screen again. However I'll look into what can be done to strengthen the seals around the LCD soon.

But anyways I've opened it up once, I can definitely do that again if dust reappears. ^_^

Thanks a lot!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Confused Stu

Hey guys, wish I'd found this thread BEFORE I spent a couple of hours last night getting mine apart! Never mind. Short version with getting it apart is that if you can lever the top cover off (the bit with the Windows logo on it), have a T6 torx screwdriver and are happy to void your warranty then it's pretty easy to do. Just keep calm!!

I simply used my nails and a knife (nice blunt one from the kitchen drawer) to lever the cover off behind the power button and IR port. Once this popped off, it was pretty easy. As for getting the black silver/gray innards off the circuitry, I'd suggest using your nails to get a crack in front of the power button/IR port and then sliding an old credit card from there down one side (the camera button side was easier on mine), then slide it off the other side in one go and finally unhook over the USB port. The credit card's great because it gets damaged before the casing!

Will take some photos next time I take it apart to remove the tiny hair I left under the screen. Need to get some of that compressed air in a can that you use to clean out keyboards before I try it next! Once they're taken and instructions written, I'll get Gears chuck them onto CoolSmartPhone.com's site. Watch that space!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Confused Stu

Sorry it took a while (not sure anyone's interested anyway), but here's the instructions I promised for taking the C500 apart. I'm not technical enough to set up a website and put it on - so I'm afraid the instructions are in a Word (XP) document.

Any problems, message me and I'll copy and paste it into an e-mail if you want.

Good luck!

EDIT: Another member's posted a website with instructions for stripping the phone too, and (IMHO) it's better than mine here! Have a look at this thread for the site address:

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=...73entry568073

C500 de-dusting.doc

Edited by Confused Stu

Guest dshaugney

Stu thanks for the great doc. One small thing I'm not clear about is the bit with the windows logo. After you get your nails in it; Is it a lifting action or do I try and pull it off. Also do I use only nails or did you just start with nails?

Guest dshaugney

never mind...got it in the end. I'd say be careful about the two latches on the top of the plastic cover they are horizontal not vertical so if you yank it too hard they will snap off as plactic does.