Receiving files via bluetooth C500

Guest Jules1974

Syrus, I DEFINITELY did not exceed the limit of my storage card on the file I transferred. Now I was thinking last night that as the file is transferred is it likely that it is being stored as a temporary file or in a cache? Maybe it is only after the last bit of data is written that the file is 'transferred' to My Documents. If this is so perhaps there is a limit on the size of the temporary directory or cache file? If the file is larger perhaps it begins to over-write itself and is therefore corrupt and doesn't get transferred? Has anyone tried looking for .tmp files? Or does anyone know how bluetooth files are sent PC 2 PC? It may be a setting that can be accessed somewhere or perhaps a registry hack? There must be a reason that files over size x get killed. Maybe somebody could create files of 300k, 400k, 500k, etc and find where the cutoff limit is and whether it is 'static'.

Sorry for the delay! Been busy at work, infact I'm late now, but I'll be returning to this topic over the weekend when I have a bit more time.

The registry did reveal quite a few settings, although pretty much all of them un-related.

Interesting to hear about sending files via bluetooth via IR! Very bizzare.

Anyone know when we're due a firmware update?!

If anyone else fancies looking through their registry, please do!

Interesting to hear about this being a 'too big' file problem, I assumed it was simply a lack of free space.

One other thing it *could* be is the file extension not being allowed, try renaming that 5.xmb mp3 to a .jpg or something.

More soon :) Sy.

I very vaguely remember seeing a temp file or cache file size setting. Once. Maybe. Could easily have been unrelated, in IE perhaps? Or maybe in my dreams.......

Guest Jules1974

:) Its great to see when i originally post what i thought was a simple problem is a pain in the backside a lot of people are having!. Some good insights here :idea: .

Keep it up.

Right yeah.

My thoughts about the memory being full were wrong. The renaming didn't work either. Now, I'm going to try and find the limit and then search the registry for it. Sigh!

Like I said, not giving up.

I'm starting to get the feeling something slightly more sinister is afoot here!

I've transfered some files that I created using something called dd in linux, these are probably highly compressable though. These transfered from 512k up to 4096k (4mb). I then tried a 2.6mb mp3, no luck. Now I'm going to try sending a file that can't be recognised as mp3 as maybe MS are trying to stop you playing mp3s and want you to use their crappy format..we'll see soon!

Guest The Futures Bright

WMA's aren't crappy, (IMO) they are rather good to save space compared to MP3's. Makes no difference in this case though, WMA's dissappear on transferring too.

Guest waroffice

WMA's are good for portable players like a phone cos they use higher compression and lose more in the encryption hence the space saving.

Ive not got another BT device to send to but could find the option to even do it, a little app on the phone that showed you BT stuff like on a PDA i used that had windows PPC2002 on it i think.

Registry of interest:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemStorageManagerFATFS]

"Util"="fatutil.dll"

"CacheSize"=dword:00000000

"EnableCache"=dword:00000001

"Paging"=dword:00000001

"Flags"=dword:00000024

"Dll"="fatfsd.dll"

"FriendlyName"="FAT FileSystem"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftObex]

"IsEnabled"=dword:00000001

"protocols"="bth,irda"

"DebugOutputChannels"=dword:00000004

"DebugOutputMask"=dword:00000000

"LogSize"=dword:00000010

Well, maybe!

I can't manage to dump my registry properly, so anyone who can, please do a search for 'size' or 'cache' or something and paste what you get. Cheers!

Nice one syrus, I am well interested in this. Makes no sense to me that you could send the 4 meg linux file but not the 2 meg mp3.........what is going on? Is the 4 meg linux limit static, or could it relate to available memory?

The 'linux' file is just a file full of binary 0's or 1's as far as I know, like:

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000...etc

now, I think the phone is using a compressed cache perhaps, as I can pretty much xfer a file of any size provided it's very compressable. For example, you'll be able to send a 500k mp3 (well, something like that), and a 800k text file at a guess.

So that's a few more ideas outta there. DrWho, can you manage to do a registry dump? I'm quite sure the *real* cache (if there is a cache) size is about 500k or so.. searching for 'size' should help find it. If you feel comfortable, you could post your reg on here, but it may well contain phone numbers etc..!

Sy.

Oh, btw, I checked the different real file types (not just renamed extensions), there's no checking for copyright etc.. pay more attention to my last post, this is just a foot note.

Guest miraclemaker

I've just experienced exactly the same problem with transferring a 3.6MB AVI file over bluetooth. The transfer looked like it went fine - but I can't find the file anywhere!

Hopefully we can get this sorted soon.

Things are looking a little bleak to be honest. I didn't spend any time over the weekend (friends stag do!) looking at this. I tend to waste a lot of time at work doing it though. SynCE for linux looks far too over-complex a solution for me anyway, So still looking. Is there an Orange engineer on here?

Hey Syrus, I had a quick look at this over the weekend (as much as I can, anyway). When I transferred a file FROM my C500 to my laptop the laptop had a popup that said something like, "Writing to PIM Transfer Folder" and then the file arrived it appeared in "My Bluetooth Transfers" or something. Anyway this made me think that the transferred file IS written to a temporary folder and then written into the directory structure subsequently. Of course the problem may be locating this folder and then changing its properties? When you send an MMS the file is transferred to something like /application%20data/volatile (this is the location given by PIE) - I was wondering if something similar exists for Bluetooth?

Sorry I can't be more help, bro.

Who?

I was just using the standard Explorer software on the C500 to send it and the laptop is just configured to use the inbuilt bluetooth. SHould have really tried to send a large file from laptop to C500 as well but kinda forgot.

Really weird. I was browsing through my files using SmartExplorer, doing some tidying up of files and there were some random files that didnt look like they belonged. When I looked further one of them was a pic that my sis had sent via BT that seemed to vanish into the C500 bermuda triangle when originally sent.

Unfortunately that was the only file I recovered. Bit weird tho, that that was the only file I could find...and that I found it at all. Definately cant find any other BT files

File was just in Storage root directory, was a jpeg (.jpg) file and I think it had the same name as it was on the device that sent it to me...

...oh and its 35.7Kb

Does that explain anything?