Movies on the C500... WOW

Guest simonbratt99

I have been trying to encode an episode of Bo Selcta through pocket divx. The episode is 23 minutes long (.8 gig in size) After going through all the settings in pocket divx - choosing smartphone, video setting 1, audio setting 1, AVI file etc, the estimated size is still about 400meg. I have heard about people making whole films at just over 100meg. What Am I doing wrong. The footage is coming from vob files made from DVD dycrypter in IFO mode.

many thaks

nickB

Hi Martin,

That is the correct size i am using. I have even made the size smaller, as to try and get the correct aspect ratio. I will have a go and let it go through. I am just shocked that even at the lowest settings, the size is still massive.

nickb

Guest rickwookie

Yeah why are people using 220x176???

Surely 220x165 is 4:3 ratio and 220x124 is 16:9 ratio.

220x176 is 5:4, what's that?! Just because the C500 screen dimensions are 176x220, who wants stretched heads?!

Incidently, I just measured the screen and it's 42.5mm high by 34mm wide, 5:4. ie the pixel aspect ratio is square.

Incidently, I just measured the screen and it's 42.5mm high by 34mm wide, 5:4. ie the pixel aspect ratio is square.

How'd you work that out? It's no more square than 4:3 and 16:9 :?:

I always convert to 220*176 regardless of the aspect ratio of the original film.

The Gladiator clip was originally aspect ratio 2.35:1 :) I personally don't like the dark bands as I feel the SPV screen is small enough already so I re-scale to full screen. This means losing a little bit of the view from the furthest left and right of the original movie but I still prefer it.

Try http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodtype.as...=8167&ft=d&st=1 let me know how you get on. If you or anyone else reading this thread decide to buy would you quote my name Richard Ziegler as having referred you to their site, cheers. :)

The link should be http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodtype.as...=8174&ft=d&st=1 and the initial link was posted by me :wink: (here)

I don't think mentioning names will "help", but you never know!

Own up time - I know of this company and recommend them because I developed both of their web sites (.Orca Logic and OrcaLogic Kingston.

I'm still waiting for my 512Mb mini-SD, too!

Cheers,

Gordon

Guest Exploited

Surely 220x165 is 4:3 ratio and 220x124 is 16:9 ratio.

220x176 is 5:4, what's that?! Just because the C500 screen dimensions are 176x220, who wants stretched heads?!

The 220x176 size is the maximum size of the screen. PocketDivXEncoder keeps the original aspect-ratio, so the final movie could very well be 220x120 for example.

You can also cut parts of the edges of the original file, so the movie uses more of the C500-screen.

Guest rickwookie

How'd you work that out? It's no more square than 4:3 and 16:9 :?:

:Deep Breath:

The pixel aspect ratio refers to the ratio between the width of a pixel and its height. So if the ratio of the the width of the screen to the height of the screen (the screen aspect ratio, in this case 34x42.5 = 4:5) is the same as the ratio of the number of pixels horizontally to the number of pixels vertically (the pixel ratio, in this case 176x220 = 4:5), then the PIXEL ASPECT ratio must be SQUARE, ie 1:1.

:Breaths Again:

The pixel aspect ratio is not the same for all displays, so it is an important value to know when encoding video for a particular display. Since it is 1:1 for the C500 then resizing 4:3, or even worse 16:9 video to 220x176 will cause it to become stretched. If you must fill the C500's screen then the best option to use, as suggested by others here, is to crop the left and right edges until you have a 5:4 ratio video.

Guest Confucious

I've just downloaded PocketDivXEncoder and when it started up it asked what I was encoding for, I selected the picture of a smartphone (E200 I believe - even though I have the C500) and it selected screen size and settings for me - simple :)

Just one thing, i have ripped a film and it is massive even when converted it will be about 400Mb. i s there any way of cutting it into smaller chunks?

Thanks.

Does anyone have a suggestion for settings suitable on the C500 for using Windows Media Encoder 9? I have tried converting an episode of the Simpsons from MPEG1 (VCD) using the Windows Media 9 codecs for audio (32kpbs, mono, 44KHz) and video (220x176, 12.5 frames, 200kbps), which ran perfectly for 5 minutes on full screen and then went black with sound continuing (40meg for 15 minutes). And also with reduced sample rates on the audio (22KHz) and video (160kbps) which also showed the same problems and in fact was skipping frames even when in the play window. I have also coded using the guide in Articles with audio at 22kbps, mono and 10KHz (Windows Media 9) and video coded using mpeg4 compression at 220x176, 8 frames and 70Kbps. It was obviously fairly heavily pixellated and it appeared to skip frames when there was a lot of motion on the screen, although this may have been the frame rate.

I don't want to use anything other than Windows Media Player so I am interested in settings for playback using .wma in this player.

Guest zippy172
I don't want to use anything other than Windows Media Player so I am interested in settings for playback using .wma in this player.

Kinda does beg the question, why :?:

Through relatively long experience of E100's and E200's I have found the phone is fine, UNTIL I load additional software onto it. Then it is crash city. And frankly I can no longer be bothered to reset and reinstall. Hence I try and use the tools out of the box. Plus the screen is 200x176 and I am watching The Simpsons - in all honesty I'm not sure that dragging a couple of extra frames a second out of the phone is worth it.

I did notice somebody had the same freeze problem I encountered but by changing a video setting, which is unavailable in WMP. GAPI problem was suggested?

Guest rickwookie

I can't help thinking that you're making a rod for your own back by insisting on using WMP. Just look at all the problems you're already having just trying to encode one video.

Trust me: Install betaplayer, and use pocketdivxencoder to produce a file that is both small, and will play back at full frame rate with excellent picture quality.

If you suddenly find that your phone is behaving 'mysteriously', you can always uninstall betaplayer again. I understand that you'd like to leave the phone as it is, but as it, is it simply doesn't have a decent video player.

Go on, you won't regret it! :)

Having coded the .wmv file down to 10 meg at the last settings I mentioned above and it STILL freezes in full mode. Which is both good news and bad. On the good side the frame rate was not a problem, on the down side it would appear that WMP is unable to play video in full mode without freezing. I feel a trip to the bug list coming on!

I have tried to convince myself I wouldn't regret it many time before. I always have. Like I say the quality of the video player doesn't particularly concern me (I am an audiophile not a videophile!) but a functional one would be nice. Anyone else had this freezing problem with WMP?

Have now run both a 'hi-res' and 'low-res' .wmv video file using WMP with no freezes. Files ranged in size from 10 meg for 20 minutes up to 40 meg for 10 minutes. Key seems to be quitting all open apps before opening WMP and also disabling the backlight timeout. I changed mine from 10 seconds to never and it didn't freeze. Could even pause and resume in full screen with no problems. Nice.

Could anyone tell me,With using Windows movie maker How do you set the output size of the video,Im wanting to output to full screen in windows media player ,Ive been converting it using the PPC Settings but when you go into full screen it leaves a great black box around the screen,Thanks

Guest jedi-masta

HELP!!!!

Movies don't play for me at all!!! Everytime I try it says "pvplayer encountered an error" tis doin my head in....even media player won't detect anything! :)

Guest shadamehr

Just posting this here for convenience, but can anyone help me regarding BetaPlayer...?

I find that if I play a video in Full screen mode (which I need to do manually, it won't auto rotate for me), if I have SOUND on, the video freezes, but sound continues.

If I disable sound in the options, I can watch the video play fine.

This happens on ALL files I have encoded/converted (using default settings within PocketDixXEncoder).

Is everyone else getting this too?

Guest martin
I find that if I play a video in Full screen mode (which I need to do manually, it won't auto rotate for me), if I have SOUND on, the video freezes, but sound continues.

Try these settings in Betaplayer :)

Options-Settings-Select page-Player, tick 'Play at open in full screen'.

Options-Video-Video Driver, tick GDI

GDI option will prevent the known GAPI problem on the C500 (Video freeze) :lol:

Guest shadamehr

Try these settings in Betaplayer :)

Options-Settings-Select page-Player, tick 'Play at open in full screen'.

Options-Video-Video Driver, tick GDI

GDI option will prevent the known GAPI problem on the C500 (Video freeze) :lol:

I don't quite have those options - but I DO already have "Auto pre-rotate" ticked, and "Play at open" ticked - but there is no "Play at open in full screen" option on mine mate.

I have now done the GDI change you suggest though, and this means that when I now still MANUALLY change to full screen, it DOES however now play video AND Audio fine - so MUCH appreciated for that bit mate - ta.

Not sure why I can't get Auto fullscreen rotate and play to work though - if my options ARE different to yours, do you think I could be using an old version - I thought I had the latest build, but maybe not...

Thanks again for the sound video fix thogh - works a treat.

Guest martin
Not sure why I can't get Auto fullscreen rotate and play to work though - if my options ARE different to yours, do you think I could be using an old version - I thought I had the latest build, but maybe not...
I'm using betaplayer 0.092 downloaded from http://betaplayer.corecodec.org/

This gives the option to play at full screen when file is opened :)

Anyone else find that their back button doesn't work after using BetaPlayer?
I've never noticed it :?