TomTom Mobile Review & How2 Guide Now for C500

Guest awarner

Guest Confucious

Mini-SD card TomTom needs 128Mb so a minimum of 256 but the bigger the better (once you start using the phone you will find all sorts of things to fiill it up). Apart from that the other thing I would suggest is read this forum! Thetre have been lots of newbies asking for advice so I wont repeat it and the more you read the more you will enjoy your phone.You can tell from the number of posts that what awarner doesn't know probably isn't worth knowing - we're all newbies compared to him!

Good luck with your new phone, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :lol:

[edit]Told you! - awarner beat me to it![/edit]

Guest sameerabedi

Further to my BT headset question - does anyone use a Sony Ericsson headset which functions with TTM? I just don't like the look of the Jabra 250 - Sony Ericsson headsets look alot better

Also do any of the headsets allow u to hear the instructions of TTM through the headset?

Have any of you guys had dealings with globalpositioningsystems.co.uk ?

The reason I ask is because I sent them the following email:

"Subject: TomTom Mobile for Windows Smartphones

Hi,

Can you tell me how long it will be before you have this item in stock?

Thanks"

The reply from their 'Buying Advice and Sales' rep was:

"RE: TomTom Mobile for Windows Smartphones

TomTom Mobile is currently only compatible with Nokia 6600, Orange SPV E200, Qtek 8080 and iMate SP2 handsets which have a symbian operating system otherwise you will require co-pilot which is compatible for windows based phones."

:shock: :? :lol:

I've replied to them putting them straight on a couple of facts, but had no reply as yet.

Should I look to purchase from a different seller ??

Yes and Why?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Read my previous post again.

They are telling me TomTom mobile is only for Symbian phones, and if I have a Windows Smartphone I need to use Co-Pilot instead.

I know this is not correct.

So, did I just get a reply from a less experienced employee, or is this representative of the service they offer?

Guest awarner [MVP]
Orange SPV E200, Qtek 8080 and iMate SP2 handsets which have a symbian

:shock:

Guess these guys are either stupid or have never bothered to check what phones run what OS

Personally I would think twice about using their services.

:shock:

Guess these guys are either stupid or have never bothered to check what phones run what OS

Personally I would think twice about using their services.

I Think I'll see how they redeem themselves in their reply (if they reply !).

Otherwise, I've come across one other seller who offers a similar deal (price):

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/g...?quicklinx=3FV3

And It's in stock!

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

I have used Global Positioning Systems but only for bits and pieces. I have not spent more than £30 with them and I did not need to speak to their support department but the goods arrived without problem.

I would tend to agree that they probably have someone new on the email desk and is more than likley is a Nokia lover and is not fully clued up about Windows Smartphones.

Guest Eldorado

I originally placed my order with dabs at it said they had 1300+ in stock ready to be sent out - 4 days later I enquired as to why my order was still being processed and was informed that just because it said 1300+ in stock available straight away didn't mean they were :roll:

Placed my order with Global Positioning Systems with the next day delivery option - the next day it arrived. They will even confirm they have received and dispatched your order via text message.

I wouldn't hesitate ordering from them again.

Latest response from globalpositioningsystems.co.uk :? :roll: :?

Hi,

Yes, TomTom Mobile is in fact compatible with both Symbian and MS operating

systems, the problem is that it is only available as a full size MMC card and

not as a half-size one that you would need for the SPV E200. It can not be

copied onto other cards either due to the security features on the software.

CoPilot would proably be your better option to be honest. Saying that TomTom

Mobile should be back in stock in the next week or so, we have no definite date

from TomTom.

Regards

Alan

Should I even bother replying ???

They are quite local to me, about 20 miles, and I like to support local businesses, but the're makin it really hard for me :lol: :D

I originally placed my order with dabs at it said they had 1300+ in stock ready to be sent out - 4 days later I enquired as to why my order was still being processed and was informed that just because it said 1300+ in stock available straight away didn't mean they were  :roll:  

Placed my order with Global Positioning Systems with the next day delivery option - the next day it arrived.  They will even confirm they have received and dispatched your order via text message.

I wouldn't hesitate ordering from them again.

Thanks for the info Eldorado,

dabs showed the high number in stock, and I did think it was rather unlikely that even the largest seller would carry that much stock!

@Zahid: They may know about stand alone GPS solutions, but they obviously don't have any experience with the smartphone.

The TTM software CAN be copied to another miniSD card (of equal or larger size). - best to buy a card reader to do this.

The main differences i've seen from reading countless posts about copilot and tomtom on here is that TT seems to have a more userfriendly/simple operation (but i'm sure many will disagree :?) whereas CoPilots navigations system offers a little more (eg on-foot navigation - ignoring one way roads) and has a more up-to-date map of the UK.

To add: TTM only sell their software with their less than average GPS receiver with no option. However, you can buy copilot with the supplied GPS receiver (which has a good review) or you can buy software only leaving you to pick whichever BT GPS receiver you like..

The decision is yours!

Hope that helps

Guest Baadsha

hi there people

just firstly i would like to say that this thread is wicked

i have my spv c500 now

waiting for payday to buy ttm

just a question that was bugging me

is there a way of powering both the gps and the phone 2gether or do you have to power them seperately

thanks

I don't think there's anything that does that at the moment. The in-car-charger for the C500 has only just become available!

Besides, i think that the battery lasts ages on the C500 and similarly on most BT GPS receivers. And if you do need to charge them you can do it alternatly.. I prefer to make sure both my devices are pretty much fully charged before i leave because i hate the clutter and bother of all the cables in the car.

Well I after following this thread from the start I recieved my TTM yesterday.

The Unit was trandfered across to MiniSD had UK Saftey Camera Databse added, patch installed and had a Satalite fix in my car in around 20mins start to finish.

As I have TraficMasters SmartNav in my car aswell I have something to compare it to.

For London driving TTM knocks the stuffing outta smartnav the 3D mapping is especially usefull given the built up nature of the road layout.

I work in medical sales so the Points of Interest Database covering Hospitals which comes as standard is like aladins cave to me!.

I have just bought a fourway adapter for my cigarette light in order to power my Archos, and my mobile at the same time.

My Reciever is sitting happily on the back parcel shelf plugged into the boot cigarette lighter.

The system is great, if you own a C500 and you want an amazing tool that also gives you much kudos over your mates then do not delay in getting TTM

For Those Newbies to the thread

Yes you can transfer it from MMC to MiniSD

Yes with Patch it does work with C500

Yes you can installed other POI databases such as speed cameras

Yes it is the dogs knob

Yes my dash board now looks like a set from Apollo 13

Very Very Happy I waited

Guest awarner [MVP]
To add: TTM only sell their software with their less than average GPS receiver

I think you need to try the current TomTom GPS unit before slating it.

I have found it more reliable than my fortuna GPS unit when I was doing

extensive testing in the summer.

It uses the latest GPS chipset and in the past 56 months of testing it has

never let me down.

Guest pete1312

Ditto awarner. No problems at all with the supplied TTM GPS unit. Very quick to start up, very small , very effective and can easily slip into your shirt pocket also (if you are that way inclined)!

@ Zahid

I bought it from Ebuyer as Dabs.com did not seem to want to do next day delivery on that item. Not the most patient person in the world

Worked out to be about £175

#

Guest sameerabedi

anyone using any Sony Ericsson headset that allows u to hear the instructions through the headset whilst driving and receive phone calli?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

My Reciever is sitting happily on the back parcel shelf plugged into the boot cigarette lighter.

I wonder if you'd mind answering a few questions on this.

Does your car provide power to it when the ignitions off?

How does this affect operation (eg "it turns off when the car does", "it stays on until the internal battery runs flat", etc)?

Do you have to turn it on or off manually when you get in or out of the car?

Thanks

@ Zahid

I bought it from Ebuyer as Dabs.com did not seem to want to do next day delivery on that item. Not the most patient person in the world

Worked out to be about £175

#

Fozza,

I'm being quoted £187.86 for next day delivery, or £180.71 for delivery by 30 Novomber.

I'm tempted to get next day - can't wait :roll:

They state they have 1363 in stock !?

I wonder if this is real stock.

Does your car provide power to it when the ignitions off? 

How does this affect operation (eg "it turns off when the car does", "it stays on until the internal battery runs flat", etc)? 

Do you have to turn it on or off manually when you get in or out of the car?

It provides constant power even when the ignition is off.

However you would need to be leaving it running for a long time without driving the car for it to run the battery down. Probably a week or more if it would at all.

If you wanna be safe just pull the plug when you get out of the car.

I always forget which is now why my £150 mini fridge is no longer allowed in the car

:lol:

Guest Baadsha

hi there

sorry for all the questions

ready to buy myself the tom tom for my phone

just wondering if dabs or Global Positioning Systems both do the FREE SPEED CAMERA DATABASE DOWNLOAD.

or if they dont then who does for a similar price

thanks