TomTom Mobile Review & How2 Guide Now for C500

Guest awarner

Guest C500pete

I'm on the edge of clicking that 'checkout' button, but can anyone confirm whether the TTM GPS unit runs on it's own battery when out of the car. So, can I take it with me when walking the streets of london?

Is there a mains charger for the GPS unit, or just the cigar lighter one in the box?

Also, what's the scope for adding other countries maps to the card? Is there an unlock key required? Are all country maps provided as default?

globalpositioning.co.uk are still saying that it's just for the e200, but from what I gather here, there's nothing stopping me going for this on my c500.

Thanks

Pete.

Guest pete1312

1) GPS unit contains a rechargable battery. I've had it lasting about 5 hours.

2) Cigar lighter charger is included. Mains charger is an optional extra, available from Tomtom.

3) Only the "home" country map is supplied. Other country maps are not yet officially available. However, I have read that TT Navigator 3 European Maps will work.

4) TTM is "approved" for SPV E200, Qtek 8080 & Nokia 6600 only. However it also works with C500 after applying the free patch available from Tomtom after signing up for 1 month free trial of Traffic).

Guest C500pete

Thanks to both (and all others for the raft of information held here).

Has anyone done a like for like comparison review of TomTom and CoPilot highlighting the key differences in look n' feel, performance, VFM etc?

Guest airborne
Most BT headsets will answer a call (my Jabra BT 250 does) whilst TTM is running. TTM however mutes whilst a call is in progress, leaving just the screen visual display.

As far as I am aware, no headset will carry the TTM voice commands. The phone speaker is loud enough anyway!

Voice commands through a headset would be great though.

I'm envisaging getting the new BMW motorcycle helmet when it comes out in the Spring with the Bluetooth functionality built-in.

I'd love to be able to stick the phone on the motorbike and get voice commands through the helmet speakers!!

Maybe I'm just dreaming! :?

Guest awarner [MVP]

Hopefully BMW will update their BT as they have been reported to have problems with their cars BT due

it being dated as such :?

As for voice commands it may be possible as posted elsewhere to enable voice commands via BT, I'll have a play and report back :)

Guest spillers

HELP!!!

I've just got my TTM and it won't work!! What have I done wrong??

I copied the TTM MMC card using a card reader. I saved this data into a folder on my PC. I then copied that data onto my MiniSD card.

I then downloaded the traffic plug in from the TomTom website.

I've tried to start the application and its says "no maps" what have I done??

Guest Confucious

Did you copy the files into the root directory of your card, maintaining the folder structure on the original card? I believe it won't work if you have put them in a sub-folder.

Guest removed-2

Ok, I have read nearly every post in here and am very close to buying TTM for my C500 but I have a question that I don't believe has been answered (apologies if it has)!

In early posts it stats that the TTM will only work with the TT BT receiver and later a work around was made by renaming your gps receiver to the same as the TT one would be called.

My question is, will the TT BT receiver work with other gps software, like CoPilot or Mapoplis?

Also, which version of the TT BT receiver comes with TTM? I have seen TT receivers 1/2 & 3 on eBay and don't know the difference? Are they all compatible with C500?

Oh and one more thing, our of the main GPS sofware systems, which is the better for navigation on foot, i.e, around the streets of london etc.?

Thanks

Mark

Guest markhempstead
Ok, I have read nearly every post in here and am very close to buying TTM for my C500 but I have a question that I don't believe has been answered (apologies if it has)!

In early posts it stats that the TTM will only work with the TT BT receiver and later a work around was made by renaming your gps receiver to the same as the TT one would be called.

My question is, will the TT BT receiver work with other gps software, like CoPilot or Mapoplis?

Also, which version of the TT BT receiver comes with TTM?  I have seen TT receivers 1/2 & 3 on eBay and don't know the difference?  Are they all compatible with C500?

Oh and one more thing, our of the main GPS sofware systems, which is the better for navigation on foot, i.e, around the streets of london etc.?

Thanks

Mark

got my tomtom mobile today for my SPV C500....

BT receiver is: "Model TomTom Wireless GPS (9821x )"

(SiRF XTrac chipset)

i tried it today with mapopolis - works fine when set to Com7 4800baud....

Mark

Guest awarner [MVP]
Also, which version of the TT BT receiver comes with TTM?  I have seen TT receivers 1/2 & 3 on eBay and don't know the difference?  Are they all compatible with C500?

You do not need to worry about what ebay has to offer as you will get

the BT unit when you buy TT Mobile :)

@aw... People do get their TT GPS units stolen.... as a friend of mine did...

and yes that was from the glovebox... and tell me when you saw the last 'lockable' glovebox....

Ebay is a good resource for replacing your TT unit, because as you know TT do not sell these separately... :) so if this happens obviously people are looking for a cheaper alternative....

I know piracy is an issue.... but unless TT do more to protect their investment, then this will continue to be a major issue...

Let's hope in their newer realeses they can come up with better protection... Online activation etc

L8r

maxmix

Guest removed-2

One more question, if using this whilst on foot, will I be able to have the BT receiver in my jacket pocket or will this restrict the locating of the satelites? As with if I had the unit in the glove box of my car whilst using it? Would this work...

Thanks

Guest awarner [MVP]
@aw... People do get their TT GPS units stolen.... as a friend of mine did...

and yes that was from the glovebox... and tell me when you saw the last 'lockable' glovebox....  

I'm not disputing that but please read the post I was quoting from :(

Ok, I have read nearly every post in here and am very close to buying TTM for my C500

Key words buying TTM :(

Also my car has a lockable glovebox as standard so I see one every day :)

Guest chazzer

Thanks for answering my question regarding C500 and TT BT GPS. I have followed your advice over and over again and my C500 has been restarted so many times, but it still won't work when I start TT. :?

I've tried it with the GPS turned on, then started again with the GPS turned off and switched on the GPS only after I have started TT.

I do get a beep after about 30 seconds and the busy timer flashes, but I don't get any messages even after 1:30 minute.

I'm not making a silly assumption that it should work with the black C500 and silver C500 (I have the black one). All the review pictures I've seen are of the silver C500. Also, there isn't a version of the receiver for symbian 60 and a seperate version for Smartphone 2003 (I know it sounds a daft question, but unless it's asked you never know).

Can I confirm, the procedure.

Turn on the TOMTOM GPS receiver.

Turn off Bluetooth on C500?

Remove all devices from Bluetooth. (What setting should be on in Bluetooth settings, I have Device name Spv_c500, Beam Authentication (Passkey):off, and ActiveSync setup:on )

Set BT Serial Port Setup to Inbound COM port COM6 :on (tick in the box).

Set BT Serial Port Setup to outbound COM port COM7 :off (no tick in the box).

Start TT mobile (I get a beep after 30 secs and the timer flashes for 5 secs. Nothing more from this point onwards. I did wait over 1:30 minute).

Exit TT Mobile s/ware.

Restart C500

Start TT Mobile ......... nothing! Still don't work. :roll:

Would there be any help in going for a Hardware reset of the phone (I don't know how but I can find out, I have seen articles).

Is there a way to reset the GPS receiver.

What am I doing wrong. Or can we say the GPS receiver is faulty and I should send it back to DABS.COM?

Hi,

Just found this site that seems to sell everything you'd ever need to mount a PDA or phone. They're a supplier to trade but are happy to sell to public.

http://www.nemesisgb.com

They also do a GPS mute system!!:

GPS Mute System

- Mutes One Speaker

- Music In Remaining Speakers

- GPS Sound In HiFi Quality

- Fade In/Out of GPS

- Safe Guidance

- Low Distortion

Here, a perfect add-on system to any type of GPS system. It makes the GPS voice guidance come out in an improved quality through one car speaker whilst the music remains in the other speakers although in a lower output volume. The built-in in/out function ensures a smooth switch between music and GPS. Simple and easy to install.

Brilliant!! £80

Guest chazzer

Zahid thank you, thank you, thank you. :)

Also a big thanks to the man .... awarner :(

Funnily enough I was reading through all the posts on this thread and was starting to gather there was some sort of fix I was missing out on. Page 13 was were I found it.

This is the first time I have ever used a forum and it has proven to be a brilliant experience. It is rare to find a place where you can get honesty and assistance in this world for free.

I have read most of the posts on this thread and I thank everybody that has posted info. I will most certainly be adding this site to my favourites and, will hopefully have something to add that will help others.

Oh, did I say .......... it works TTMobile is fantastic, and with the brilliant C500, I am as impressed as a very impressed thing :wink:

To be honest I was about to post a For Sale on Ebay ............. NOT, but I was getting quite disheartened :cry: It's not good to see a grown man cry, that's what my wife says anyway.