TomTom Mobile Review & How2 Guide Now for C500

Guest awarner

Guest awarner [MVP]
TomTom software can be copied onto another SD / MiniSD card and works perfectly.  No need to keep swapping.

Yep so you can use it with the 1Gb card of your dreams :)

htink it is only tomtom that lock you to their card from what I have been reading.

Don't know where you've read that :?: I haven't seen it anywhere on this Forum. I'm not aware of anything stopping you from copying the contents of the mini-SD card to a larger one.

Guest awarner [MVP]

The only countries supported are the following

Italy, Spain, France, Benelux, UK, Germany, Alps and Scandinavia

I do not know of any other countries being supported at the moment but I will ask.

Guest WEBSERVICESUK

Does anyone know if you can get maps for North America for this. I am going to Florida next month, I know I can't use the phone as a phone, but if GPS works I would be tempted to load up maps and take it just for that.

Anyone have any idea?

Guest the_ugly_north

UPDATE:

I contacted TomTom customer support about traffic for TomTom mobile (it only covers PocketPC at present):

Dear Mrs XXXX,

We hope to be able to introduce Traffic for mobile in Q4 of 2004

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer 21/09/2004 06.48 PM

Dear Sir,

I have a Orange E200 Smartphone. I am purchasing Tomtom mobile and wonder if you could tell me if the tomtom traffic service works with it.

Many thanks,

Sharon

Which is nice

:)

Guest WEBSERVICESUK

Thanks for the info re using the e200 is USA, (last time I went this wasn't an option.)

FYI Charges are 1.30 per minute (70p to recieve) and 45p (I think) for each text on PAYG. Service is provided by AT&T

I'd be interested to know how the experience of using TomTom Mobile on the E200 compares to using TomTom Navigator 3 on the PocketPC, as I am ever so compelled to buy Mobile having been a big fan of their Navigator 3 product.

With regards their security measures - I understand and am happy with the fact that they've locked TomTom Mobile down to their TomTom Wireless GPS device - kind of like a dongle.

However if you consider current owners of TomTom Navigator 3 who bought exactly the same TomTom Wireless GPS device as part of the Navigator 3 solution it means that they effectively pay for exactly the same hardware again (TomTom won't sell TomTom Mobile software without the TomTom Wireless GPS device) makes it more difficult for me to stomach. Surely there must be a better way of implementing security that doesn't preclude Naviagtor 3 users from upgrading/using Mobile as a companion product.

Perhaps if they said the software costs £200 and comes with a free GPS device it'd be easier for me to justify! :)

Guest the_ugly_north
Perhaps if they said the software costs £200 and comes with a free GPS device it'd be easier for me to justify! :)

The software is free! If you pay £180 for the BT GPS then you get the software free. :wink:

Guest awarner [MVP]
I'd be interested to know how the experience of using TomTom Mobile on the E200 compares to using TomTom Navigator 3 on the PocketPC.

I have used both versions side by side for a couple of weeks and I actually prefer the mobile version. As I said in my review I had to learn from scratch as I did not have any manuals, but it did not take me long to get upto speed.

Over all I found TTMobile more accurate than V3 on the PPC but that could be partly down to setup.

@duncan888

Hopefuly a release will be soon, as with all updates, proper testing needs to be done as you do not want your phone to do any partial resets etc.

(not that any of my testing has achieved this)

Guest sameerabedi

I've just read through all the pages on TomTom and just have a few questions which don't seem to be answered (or I'm just blind!):

1)When is TomTom Mobile being released?

2)When is it available on the SPV C500 (with the GPS receiverand the relevant BT connectivity)?

3)Will it be released on miniSD card for the C500? If not, then will it be possible to copy it from an SD card to miniSD card?

and finally...

4)How much is it?

Thanks for ur response in advance!

Sameer :)

Guest awarner [MVP]

1, It is released already :)

2, Awaiting an update (hopefully soon)

3, No, but you can copy it to your own miniSD card

4, Varies inprice between suppliers but around £180

Guest pete1312

I've just ordered from ebuyer at £180.15 incl postage.

Their site advertises TT Mobile as "Tomtom GPS Sat Navigation for Mobiles (Symbian Series - Nokia 6600 and other symbian mobiles) Uk".

This description is obviously incorrect, but the specification later goes on to confirm: "Works with Nokia 6600, Orange SPV-E200 and Qtek 8080".

Guest pete1312

Just spotted this on the GlobalpositioningSystems site:

"TomTom Mobile comes pre-installed on a 128MB MMC card. The software cannot be transferred to any another memory card (irrespective of size or format)."

This does not agree with what others have stated on this site. Can anyone please clarify/confirm that the software can indeed be copied to a large SD card to avoid the need for switching cards?