TomTom Mobile Review & How2 Guide Now for C500

Guest awarner

Guest Confucious
Confucious,

Fozza says "the car" so it could be his Dad driving :)

OMG He could be talking about my car! Maybe he's a ghost and i just don't realise he's there! 8-[

Guest pwhooftman2

In the past, i've managed to hook up a GPS receiver (Haicom 204E) with RS232 output to a ipaq H1915 with no serial interface, by means of a RS-232-> iRda convertor (see my website for details. Actually i built 2 convertors, for myself in a separate box and for my brother-in-law in a TTN car holder)).

So my obvious question, does TTMobile allow you choose a Com port so i can hook up my GPS receiver through IrDA?

Guest Shakface

TT is zero configuration which means that you do nto have to set anything up when you purchase it. Shove the card in, reboot your phone. An Autorun.exe is included on the mem card which prompts you to run/not to run. You will then notice a TomTom mobile icon in your start menu. Double click that and thats it.

You cannot change any configuration nor make any alterations to the reg.

Apaprantly TomTom didnt make any changs to the registry to that of the TomTom navigator software. Therefore you will see other receivers in there. I assume the .exe's locks it down to the TT receiver. That is where the problem lies with c500 as well.

I mean i have been investigating the TT fix for ages and it seems very strange to me that MS Pocket Streets and Mapopolis can work really well on the c500 yet TT has so many issues.

Hope they come out with a fix soon

Guest awarner [MVP]
it seems very strange to me that MS Pocket Streets and Mapopolis can work really well on the c500 yet TT has so many issues.

So many issues? there is only one and that's being worked on C500

Guest Shakface

@awarner

it was a phrase, how can TT have an issue with the Bluetooth stack and not Mapopolis / Pocket Streets / Co-pilot. When Mapopolis was never designed for the c500 yet supports it.

I have been looking around, some privvy TT beta testers are saying that the fix will be available in time for Xmas, some are saying Feb 2005. I personally have gone for co-pilot live, it works superbly. I used to use TT on my PDA, and enjoyed it immensly. TT's has rubbish support and they seem to have a box standard reply when you ask a technical question.

I have also been in touch with MS and apparantly they have the c500 working with TT mobile, so go figure. TT support = rubbish

Guest awarner [MVP]

No beta tester can give a date for release and that is Official.

I have my own ideas to when it will be released but as I have posted

before, TomTom will only announce a release date when they are sure

they have completed all testing needed and can give a 100% confirmation

that it is ready for the end user.

Guest Confucious
No beta tester can give a date for release and that is Official.

I have my own ideas to when it will be released but as I have posted

before, TomTom will only announce a release date when they are sure  

they have completed all testing needed and can give a 100% confirmation

that it is ready for the end user.

And if they can't give any idea then they will lose quite a few customers to Co-Pilot.

I'd hang on if I had an idea, but "sometime" is not good enough. I think I'll be getting CoPilot.

Guest gwankho

It is possible to get TomTom Mobile working with other GPS Receivers. I got my E200 working with a Rikaline 6030. Just name your BT device "TomTom Wireless GPS".;-)

It looks like almost all GPS Receivers are supported in TomTom Mobile (found them in the BT driver code).

SysOnChip Serial GPS, SysOnChip GPS, CF Plus StreetNav iGPS

Scania Falcom A3D, Rikaline GPS-6010, PRETEC CompactGPS-LP

PRETEC CompactGPS, Pocket Track, Pocket CoPilot

GPS Jacket , Pharos iGPS-180

NAVMAN GPS100, NAVMAN GPS3000, NAVMAN GPS1000

Holux GM-270 CF, Holux GM-210, Holux GM-200

Haicom GPS, GNS gpsCard CF II, Garmin GPSIII

Garmin GPS12, Garmin Etrex, Emtac Wireless GPS

Emtac GPSJAQ, Emtac CRUX GPS, Destinator GPS

DeLORME TripMate, Ambicom GPS-CF, TomTom GPS (iPAQ Sleeve)

TomTom Navigator GPS, Simulator SysOnChip GPS port, CF_CARD GENERIC EMTAC GPSJAQ CFGPS

Guest sameerabedi

I'm getting so many conflicting messages from this forum!

Awarner, surely one of the advantages of being a beta tester is that u can give us heads up as to when TTM will be released for the c500??

What about the claim that TTM does infact work on the C500? Can anyone substantiate that?

Confucious, who who told u about a release date in Xmas/Feb 2005. If that is true then that is too long to wait.

Awarner, of those beta testers told Confucious couldn't u please at least give a indication of which month/year it will be fixed for the C500??

Thanks alot everyone

Sameer

Guest awarner [MVP]

Beta testers must sign a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA)

This is a legal agreement between TomTom and the tester.

what this means that they are not alowed to post publicly

unreleased information about the product unless they have been

given permission from TomTom first.

I would say the quote about February is completely wrong in my opinion though.

Guest Confucious

BTW it was Shakface not me who was told Feb. I have no idea but am getting fed up with no news and unless I hear something more possitive in the next couple of weeks I will probably get Co-Pilot.

Guest rikwebb

I heard it would be Jan ------ 2008 :wink:

Only joking..... anyone fancy taking bets ?

Seriously though, some of you guys have got this and found it doesnt work with your c500 - I think you should all ask for refunds from TomTom directly. That should get um moving..

Rik

Guest pete1312
... Seriously though, some of you guys have got this and found it doesnt work with your c500 - I think you should all ask for refunds from TomTom directly. That should get um moving..

Rik

As far as I'm aware TomTom have always denied support for C500 (until further notice).

It has only been released so far for Nokia 6600, Orange SPV E200 and Qtek 8080.

I'm a very satisfied E200 user!

Guest sameerabedi

I was just wondering, now that there is a new ROM update for the c500, any chance that TomTom now works and BT connects to the TomTom GPS? Anyone had a chance to test it??

Thanks