TomTom Mobile Review & How2 Guide Now for C500

Guest awarner

Guest awarner [MVP]

As I've said many times before TomTom want to give a date and stick by it. It's pointless them saying we hope to release it at such and such a date, as it only gets the end user more frustrated and it looks

unprofessional if there was an unforseen delay and that deadline was not met.

Guest pete1312

TomTom Mobile "Traffic" would now appear to be available for EUR 9.95 per mth.

www.tomtom.com web extract below:

TomTom Traffic - MOBILE - Features

Beat the jams with a TomTom Traffic

Detailed and up-to-date traffic information from the best traffic information sources around.

When driving, incidents on your route are drawn on the map. A schematic overview provides an easy overview of all incidents on your route.

Plan an alternative route with minimal delays.

Good in-car reception and fast delivery of traffic information for the full map using mobile GPRS internet.

Smart compression limits the data communication volume to a minimum.

Update the traffic information either manually or automatically every few minutes.

Full overview of the traffic situation in your area with animations showing traffic jams on the map.

Icons indicate cause of incidents.

Route summary shows delays and expected arrival time taking into account traffic delays.

Sounds will warn when an incident is reported on your route.

Avoid individual incidents completely.

Automatically get the quickest route when delays are reported or changed on your current or previous route.

TomTom Traffic - MOBILE - Requirements

Beat the jams with a TomTom Traffic

The Traffic Plug-In can only be used with TomTom MOBILE. To receive traffic information you will need:

a valid product code for TomTom MOBILE

a working GPRS internet connection on your mobile phone.

For help, check out GPRS Tricks & Tips

A subscription to the TomTom Traffic service

Guest awarner [MVP]

You have just beaten me to posting about it, I hate going to work sometimes ^_^

Since 2 PM our TomTom MOBILE customers can try and purchase TomTom Traffic subscriptions for the UK, The Netherlands, Germany and France. TomTom Traffic informs on traffic incidents on your route and helps you avoid traffic delays. For more info: http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php...D=35&Language=1  

Also available as download from MyTraffic since 2 PM: TomTom Navigator 3.07T. This is the traffic enabled version of TomTom Navigator 3.07 that is compliant with Windows Mobileâ„¢ 2003 Second Edition.

Guest spacerace

are you committed to a contract length ? or could you sign up for one month and then cancel again ? trying to see if it could be used on a more ad hoc "as and when" basis.

Guest awarner [MVP]

At the moment the update for the C500 is available as part of the Traffic Plug-in. and can be found HERE

As of now, Traffic is standard in the MOBILE app.

So in order to update, all users need to sign up to a trial Traffic account and activate this. Also you can only activate your account via GPRS. So anybody without GPRS can not get to the download link.

This will be corrected shortly.

Other information you need to get Mobile working on the C500 are as follows,

1. You need 6,5 MB free mem on MiniSD to update.

To free memory you can remove voicefiles.

Two types are available: tomtom/dataXX.chk (16kHz for S60 and MSSP) and tomtom/dataXX.22k (22kHZ for MSSP only).

MSSP users can delete any double 16kHZ voice file, S60 users can delete any (double) 22kHz voice file.

E.g. if you have data04.chk, data05.chk, data04.22k and data05.22k (all english voices), you can delete the files data04.chk and data05.chk, because the 22kHz voicefiles are of higher quality. The app will always try to open 22kHz voicefiles first if present.

2. If gps connection does not work on C500, you might need to follow these steps:

To connect with bluetooth:

* throw away all TomTom Wireless GPS - devices from your BlueTooth settings (menu Settings (4) - BlueTooth (8) )

* DISABLE COM7 - support (menu Configurations (997) - BT SerialPortSetup (2) - second checkbox)

* start TomTom MOBILE (wait 1:30 minute; there should be a beep and another question 'This application is not known...')

* exit TomTom MOBILE

* switch your phone off and on again

* start TomTom MOBILE and you should have a connection with the TomTom Wireless GPS

Guest awarner [MVP]

Yes but you will need to update and sign up for traffic at the moment

but this will be sorted.

As from today units made will include traffic as standard, this does not mean you have to sign up to use it, it is an optional extra that just needs activating to use ^_^

The C500 fix is part of this update.

The testing I have done with traffic is very impressive.

Guest pete1312

TT Mobile Traffic costs:

1) EUR 9.95 per month (one month at a time if need be);

2) EUR 49 per annum;

3) EUR zero/ziltch/nothing for a one month free trial.

These pricing options can be found after you have logged onto their website and gone to SUPPORT - TRAFFIC - TRY OR BUY.

I've personally gone for the 34 quids worth, and will let you know how I get on with it.

I've only been "round the corner" this evening, so could not test it.

My only initial comment is that the previous "Clear Route" menu option appears to have disappeared (which is a pain to say the least) and replaced by a TT Traffic menu item under the old item 3.

I'm now going to read the instruction manual to see if I can get "Clear Route" back as an option.

Maybe awarner can elaborate on this if its not in the manual?

Guest pete1312

My last post refers.

I've now read the Instruction Manual / User Guide and can find no reference to the original "Clear Route" menu option. Can anyone (awarner?) tell me:

1) How do I clear a previously used route (other than by entering a new one)?

2) How much GRPS data (roughly) is downloaded for each Traffic refresh?

3) What happened to the original "disclaimer" screen which used to pop up on every start? (I'm personally glad its gone - once upon initial use should be sufficient - maybe I've already answered my own Q3)!

Guest pete1312

OK - I've now found the answer to my earlier "Clear Route" question!

After loading Traffic, its now tucked away under:

MENU

5. Change Preferences

6. Next

6. Next

5. Clear route

This is a "pain" (IMHO) :evil:

It was much simpler (and much more important / relevant) before under the original first menu "menu". (i.e. MENU + 3)

Who the hell wants to get into their car in the morning and discover that their Sat Nav system is continually re-directing them back to "Home" (and then need to press about 7 (plus 1 or 2 to start the program) keys to get rid of it)????

At least the annoyingly repetitive "disclaimer" screen has now disappeared - which is 1 less press than in the pre-Traffic version!

Am I missing something?

Guest awarner [MVP]

Sorry for not getting back sooner unfortunately I had to sleep for a few hours before work :P ^_^

The disclaimer should now only be displayed on the very first startup :D

For the Clear Route it was moved to make way for traffic I believe, I agree it will take time to get used to it but when you go to Preferences you can use the direction pad and press Left instead of next and it will

give you the Clear Route option on the first press :P

Hi everyone,

i have a question about the C500 and TT mobile.

If i'm not wrong, so far when you buy TT mobile, it's on a SD Card. So if you want to use it on the C500 you need to buy a mini sd card and copy everything on it ?

is that right ?

thanks

Guest Shakface

YEP tested it and TOMTOM Mobile now works with the C500

at long last. ^_^

You need to have a product code in order to download the update but it works like superbly.

Thanks awarner.

Guest maikeldevrindt

Any problems at all with TTM and the C500?

Otherwise i'm off to the shops to get me a TTM.

Is it possible to download the update somewhere else ?

Within this patch any info from TT itself telling that the patch should and would solve the problem ???

I mailed TT and they told me that there is NO patch availeble at this moment to get the C500 working:

Chech out the reply from TT that I received today:

Hartelijk dank voor u email aan TomTom Customer Support.

Op dit moment is er nog geen patch voor de Orange C500, maar we zijn wel bezig om onze software te testen op de C500.

Houdt u de website en de Nieuwsbrief in de gaten om op de hoogte te blijven van alle ontwikkelingen hieromtrent!

Wij vertrouwen erop dat u voldoende door ons bent geinformeerd.

Mocht u vragen of suggesties hebben, dan horen wij dat graag.

Met vriendelijke groet,