TomTom Mobile Review & How2 Guide Now for C500

Guest awarner

Guest maikeldevrindt
Any problems at all with TTM and the C500?

Otherwise i'm off to the shops to get me a TTM.

Is it possible to download the update somewhere else ?

Within this patch any info from TT itself telling that the patch should and would solve the problem ???

I mailed TT and they told me that there is NO patch availeble at this moment to get the C500 working:

Chech out the reply from TT that I received today:  

Hartelijk dank voor u email aan TomTom Customer Support.

=> Thanks for your bla bla bla.....

Op dit moment is er nog geen patch voor de Orange C500, maar we zijn wel bezig om onze software te testen op de C500.

=> At this moment there is NO patch available for the C500 but we are testen the software on the c500 at this moment.

Houdt u de website en de Nieuwsbrief in de gaten om op de hoogte te blijven van alle ontwikkelingen hieromtrent!

=> Please check our website and newsletters to stay up to date.

Wij vertrouwen erop dat u voldoende door ons bent geinformeerd.

Mocht u vragen of suggesties hebben, dan horen wij dat graag.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Guest Shakface

Well at the moment the c500 locks onto the BT receiver. This wasnt possible with the first release. When you check the GPS configuration it does tell you that the receiver is locked but cannot find any sats. This is cos i am in a heavily insulated building.

From what i can see there are no problems

HTH

Guest maikeldevrindt

So still no evidance of a GPS signal on the C500.

Is there anyone up here who has got a GPS signal receive on his C500?

A screenshot for evidance ????

Guest Shakface

@maikeldevrindt

Its upto you my friend. Just tested it outside and yes to sat fix. and yes to guidance working ok.

Its got updated maps as well which is always good

Guest maikeldevrindt
@maikeldevrindt

Its upto you my friend. Just tested it outside and yes to sat fix. and yes to guidance working ok.

Its got updated maps as well which is always good

How do I get the updated maps ????

I'm pretty new in this NAVI world so help me out a bit.

Hyperlink?

OK. i'm almost of to the shops to get a TTM box.

cheers M8

Guest sameerabedi

So from reading everyones posts, TomTom now works on da C500. however on da TomTom website it still doesn't say that it's compatible with da C500. Anyway that's not a prob, since i believe the posts. However, where is da best place 2 buy it with da update already installed?

Thanks.

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest maikeldevrindt
So from reading everyones posts, TomTom now works on da C500. however on da TomTom website it still doesn't say that it's compatible with da C500. Anyway that's not a prob, since i believe the posts. However, where is da best place 2 buy it with da update already installed?

Thanks.  

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Could some please contact me .. I would like to have the update also !!

Guest Confucious

As they have only just got the fix working and have not yet updated their website you can't yet buy the fixed version. awarner said they are starting to make fixed versiomns but I should imagine it will take some time to filter through to stores. the only way to get it now is buy the orriginal version and apply the fix yourself.

Presumably the updated maps are downloaded from the website.

Guest pete1312

Here's a reply I received from Tomtom to my question asking them how much GPRS data is dowloaded for Traffic updates:

Thank You for your question regarding Traffic.How much GPRS data traffic does the Traffic Plug-In generate?

The amount of data that is exchanged depends on:

* The usage frequency – every time you request a traffic update data will be exchanged.

* At what time of day you request information – during rush hour there are more incidents than at night. So, during rush hour more data is retrieved than at night or during the day.

* For what map you request information – information is retrieved for the map that is loaded in TomTom Navigator. The larger the map coverage the more data is retrieved.

* How often you request incident details in Traffic View – The details shown in the incident detail screen in Traffic View are retrieved separately.

The table below provides a calculation of cost for each country. Assumptions:

* Traffic Plug-In is used during morning and afternoon rush hour each working day, each trip takes 45 minutes.

* Traffic information is retrieved every 5 minutes.

* The full country map is loaded, so all available country information is retrieved.

* No details are requested in Traffic View.

====================

- - - -

GB

- - - -

NL

- - - -

D

- - - -

F

--------

Trips per month

- - - -

--------

Trip duration

- - - -

45 minutes

--------

Refresh rate

- - - -

Every 5 minutes

--------

Requests per month

- - - -

40*45/5 = 360

--------

Incidents during rush hour (estimate)

- - - -

- - - -

- - - -

- - - -

--------

Avg. size incident

- - - -

20 bytes

--------

Total data volume

- - - -

1.4 MB

- - - -

0.3 MB

- - - -

3.4 MB

- - - -

2.7 MB

====================

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

Guest Shakface

@maikeldevrindt

If you follow awarners instructions he explains it well there. You need to connect to TT website via GPRS and activate you account for TT traffic. Then put in your legitimate product code and you will be given the link to download the update. Easy as that.

We've tested it here and it works even better than the PDA versions

Will you be able to use TT3 PocketPc maps with TT mobile? I purchased the European maps for my PPC version but now want to upgrade to the TTM product for my C500. Will I have to re-purchase the european maps? Is there a TTM USA product planned?

Thanks

Guest awarner [MVP]
So still no evidance of a GPS signal on the C500.

Is there anyone up here who has got a GPS signal receive on his C500?

A screenshot for evidance ????

I would not have posted it was possible if it was not.

As most readers here know I have been testing Mobile for some time now.

TT Mobile works very well on the C500 bugs I found have all been fixed

and Traffic works a treat ^_^

Just a couple of question regarding TTM...what happens if you're using TTM and you get a call? Does is automatically take you back to the TTM screen or do you have to do it manually? Also, anyone using a C500, is it possible to use a BT headset to make calls whilst using TTM? Thanks in advance.

Sunil

Guest pete1312
Just a couple of question regarding TTM...what happens if you're using TTM and you get a call? Does is automatically take you back to the TTM screen or do you have to do it manually? Also, anyone using a C500, is it possible to use a BT headset to make calls whilst using TTM? Thanks in advance.

Sunil

I'm using TTM with a Jabra BT 250 earpiece on an E200. When a call comes in, it needs to be answered manuaully via the phone or the button on the earpiece. As soon as the caller disconnects, my E200 reverts back to TTM mode. (Prior to TTM, the earpiece used to answer automatically).

As for making a call during TTM, I press HOME, then my shortcut key for Fonix Voice Dial, and then make my call. When I end the call, I cannot remember exactly what I do, but within a couple of key presses, I'm back into TTM mode.

I'm using TTM with a Jabra BT 250 earpiece on an E200. When a call comes in, it needs to be answered manuaully via the phone or the button on the earpiece. As soon as the caller disconnects, my E200 reverts back to TTM mode. (Prior to TTM, the earpiece used to answer automatically).

As for making a call during TTM, I press HOME, then my shortcut key for Fonix Voice Dial, and then make my call. When I end the call, I cannot remember exactly what I do, but within a couple of key presses, I'm back into TTM mode.

Thanks for the reply Pete, I think I'll be buying one soon. Just one more question though, how good is the 3d map view on such a small screen? I've seen the tomtom go in use which looks great but it has a much bigger screen...so is it practical on the spv, ie. can you see it comfortably if you just glance at it or would you have to squint? Thanks!

Sunil

Guest spacerace

You can buy a copy of TTM today yes. If you have a C500 then you will need to download an additional update to get it to work, a direct link to this is supplied above.

Guest pete1312
Just one more question though, how good is the 3d map view on such a small screen? I've seen the tomtom go in use which looks great but it has a much bigger screen...so is it practical on the spv, ie. can you see it comfortably if you just glance at it or would you have to squint? Thanks!

Sunil

The screen view is very clear and easily visible, whether in 3D or 2D

Guest iainp999

hi,

sorry for being a bit thick, but i'm confused. someone mentioned that the update involved signing up for the traffic service. i wouldn't really be interested in this tbh

does the link to the zip mean that i don't have to sign up for that service?

cheers,

Iain

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

I might have missed this, but does the same problem exist with the IMate SP3 smartphone :?: I.E. like the ones from the MoDaCo shop :?:

Guest 404error
hi,

sorry for being a bit thick, but i'm confused.  someone mentioned that the update involved signing up for the traffic service.  i wouldn't really be interested in this tbh

does the link to the zip mean that i don't have to sign up for that service?

cheers,

Iain

Yes, normally you have to sign-up to download the update. This is the direct link so you don't have to sign up!!! The update does add the Traffic-menu to the general menu, but no singing up needed!!! (twice the same, I know)