TomTom Mobile Review & How2 Guide Now for C500

Guest awarner

Guest awarner [MVP]
I might have missed this, but does the same problem exist with the IMate SP3 smartphone :?:  I.E. like the ones from the MoDaCo shop :?:

Quite possibly as the problem appeared to be due to the SE version of the phones OS.

I have imate sp3 and I have no problem with this fix! I use perfectly tomtom mobile with a globalsat bt gps.

It works very well and I find it is better than pda version.

Regards

Guest plantagoo

Hi!

Where did you guys find a button for "trial"? I only have options for buying the package for 9.95€/month or 49€/year. But before I buy I'll want to try it on my SDA (currently it doesn't work).

TIA

Greetings

plant

Guest pete1312

From vague memory from a few days ago, it goes like this:

1) go to www.tomtom.com

2) click on TT Traffic / more

3) logon if already subscribed (otherwise create an a/c then logon)

4) click on "Try or Buy" and input your Product Code

5) You should then be presented with 3 options:

a) Buy for €9.95 pm

:lol: Buy for €49 pa

c) Free Trial for 1 month

After accepting the 1 month trial, just go back and download the update!

TT are still advertising their 1 month free trial, so I doubt very much that it has somehow mysteriously disappeared!

Guest greencode

Can somebody clarify this for me?

When you buy the TomTom Mobile pack you get the maps etc onto a SD card but the C500 takes a MiniSD card. Is it that all i need to do to use it on a C500 is copy the SD card to the MiniSD card?

Therefore I'd need to buy a SD and MiniSD card reader?

If this is the case will the SD card copy all contents okay - there aren't any locked or hidden files are there?

thanks for any help - it's much appreciated.

Guest Confucious

Could someone also let me know the file sizes - how much taken up by the program and how much taken up by the UK maps. Can you just load part of the map?

The reason I ask is that , although I know it comes on a 128Mb card, i already have a 256Mb card but at the moment only have 26Mb free. I'm sure with a bit of housekeeping i can clear quite a bit of space but doubt if i'll get as much as 128Mb.

In the future I'll buy a bigger card but I was hoping to wait until 1gb cards are available at a reasonable cost. So how much space will i need?

Thanks

@Confucious: I've read somewhere that ttmobile takes up about 110mb but i'm not sure if you can use only certain parts of the map, maybe someone who has it can clarify.

@greencode: Yes, you can simply copy the contents of the SD card onto your new miniSD card. You'll need a card reader that can at least read SD cards. Your new miniSD card should come with an SD adapter so you'll be able to use it in the same slot.

You can not load part of the map.

Only way to save memory is removing voicefiles,

Full SD/MMC content for UK takes up 118MB of which 14,5 MB are voicefiles. One voicefile takes about 500-800kb

Other option is to remove either the S60 software (all files in folder System, 1,12MB) or the Smartphone software (2 files in folder TomTom, 1,24MB), depending on your phone.

Guest Baadsha

as asked by numerous people

where is the best place to buy tomtom mobile?

also is it worth getting a wired version for c500?

is it even availible

this i ask because is it possible to use both bluetooth headset and bluetooth gps at once?

thanks

Guest awarner [MVP]
as asked by numerous people

where is the best place to buy tomtom mobile?

Try the links from TomTom you need to look around as DABS and Ebuyer both sell the mobile version.

so is it worth getting a wired version for c500?

is it even availible

no it's not available as posted before it will only work with the BT TomTom GPS unit.

this i ask because is it possible to use both bluetooth headset and bluetooth gps at once?

Yes it is possible and has been mentioned in this tthread before that the phone can handle more than one BT device at a time.

no it's not available as posted before it will only work with the BT TomTom GPS unit.
It is possible to get TomTom Mobile working with other GPS Receivers. I got my E200 working with a Rikaline 6030. Just name your BT device "TomTom Wireless GPS".;-)

It looks like almost all GPS Receivers are supported in TomTom Mobile (found them in the BT driver code).  

SysOnChip Serial GPS, SysOnChip GPS, CF Plus StreetNav iGPS

Scania Falcom A3D, Rikaline GPS-6010, PRETEC CompactGPS-LP

PRETEC CompactGPS, Pocket Track, Pocket CoPilot

GPS Jacket , Pharos iGPS-180

NAVMAN GPS100, NAVMAN GPS3000, NAVMAN GPS1000

Holux GM-270 CF, Holux GM-210, Holux GM-200  

Haicom GPS, GNS gpsCard CF II, Garmin GPSIII  

Garmin GPS12, Garmin Etrex, Emtac Wireless GPS  

Emtac GPSJAQ, Emtac CRUX GPS, Destinator GPS  

DeLORME TripMate, Ambicom GPS-CF, TomTom GPS (iPAQ Sleeve)  

TomTom Navigator GPS, Simulator SysOnChip GPS port, CF_CARD GENERIC EMTAC GPSJAQ CFGPS

I have imate sp3 and I have no problem with this fix! I use perfectly tomtom mobile with a globalsat bt gps.  

It works very well and I find it is better than pda version.  

Regards

I'm a bit confused tomtom say it won't work and awarner says it won't work however 2 people have posted saying they have used it sucessfully with alternative receivers.

Can anyone give me a definate answer on this

Guest Confucious

If two people have got it working then it must work. Officially the answer is that it doesn't work. As you can only buy it with a receiver why do you need to know?

Guest sameerabedi

I've just ordered TomTom from www.globalpositioning.co.uk and on my confirmation email it states "pre-installed MMC card is not transferrable to any other memory card" Are there some versions in which this is true? Everyone in this forum claims that it is transferrable so how come it states that?

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Guest markhammill

I can't seem to get the speed camera warning to work properlly on mine. Where do you put the CSV file?

I have tried putting it with the map with no luck.

I have also tried moving the map around as well, now I'm not sure which directory it started in.

Guest pete1312
I can't seem to get the speed camera warning to work properlly on mine. Where do you put the CSV file?  

I have tried putting it with the map with no luck.

I have also tried moving the map around as well, now I'm not sure which directory it started in.

You should be using the ov2 files not csv. Just put them in the Map folder along with the image files. The following instructions are taken directly from the Speed Camera download page:

TomTom Mobile

Copy the OV2 and BMP files to your Storage Card into the Country Directory (e.g. Great Britain) and enable them in the POI screen.

Guest sameerabedi

Hey, if possible could someone post a step-by-step guide on how to install TomTom Mobile onto the C500 - including details of how to set-up the BT connection to the GPS and also how to install the camera database!

Many Thanks in advance!

Sameer

Guest awarner [MVP]
Hey, if possible could someone post a step-by-step guide on how to install TomTom Mobile onto the C500 - including details of how to set-up the BT connection to the GPS and also how to install the camera database!

Many Thanks in advance!

Sameer

It's already been done in this topic, I have written a guide in the first post.

Here my impression: tried a tomtom mobile bought by a friend of mine for his nokia. I've just tried because I know the problem with sp3 aka c500 and my curiosity was too much to wait.

Well (if is legal to write: otherwise i apologize what i'm gonna write) i've just copied the content of the mmc in a 512 kingmax mini sd. My bt gps (globalsat) was previously paired and no nome changed.

Infact in bt setup --> bt ---> menu -->> devices is called "BT-GPS-0076BF".

So i've put the mini sd inside and obvoiusly it doesn't work.

Tried the fix posted here and I've installed on the phone.

Restart the phone and.....it works

I find very smart the bt auto switch on when i start tomtom and when i shut down: i dont' have to do it myself!

Thats' all. no tricks and no any changing. Just pair the bt gps, copy the content in a mini sd and install the fix.

Regards

p.s. i think i will buy it because it works very very well.

Guest 404error

There is a patch that can be found on the internet and with that patch it is possible to use a lot BT GPS receivers.

I don't have the patch so don't PM me for it. I use the original TomTom BT GPS.

Guest markhammill

There is already a link to it on this thread. The Traffic patch will make it work with the C500 and either there was no piracy protection to start with or once it is patched the protection is removerd. As it certainly works with a Fortuna Clip On GPS