Car Charger

Guest Mark0824

Guest spacerace

ok have now been through the first 3 pages of Google.co.uk results and the absolute cheapest I have found the VC520 charger at is £13.89 from here - I2020

No idea how reputable they are, but they look ok. I'll probably take the plunge and order one mid week.

By the way, my C500 is connected via USB to my computer in office which doesn't have "Active Sync", and it is charging.  Is this normal?

Well, finally tried the same cable in my car, but no good surprise : no charge at all...

I find it very hard to see, why Orange, HTC, Imate, or who ever it is that makes this phone, can not suppply the car charger at release of the phone. Most manufactures are able to do this, and it is preventing me using it as my main phone at the moment. I am out and about most of the day, so need to be in touch, and with the thought of maybe running out of battery life half way through the day, puts me off using it to the full for the moment.

Guest AdmiralAckbar

If you're really desperate to charge your C500 in your car, you could always invest in one of these ...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...rldID=&doy=4m11

I bought the £15 one, and charged my phone (using the mains charger supplied with the phone) driving into work this morning.

It's not pretty and it won't suit a lot of people ... but it works!

Guest levien26

I modded my old MPX 200 car charger to work with my C500 and now it charges!!! But I have one problem: charging it in the car has put me into the car profile, and will not go back to normal until I make a speakerphone call. This is fine, but now when I go to settings/sounds, it will not preview the sounds, it is silent. Any suggestions on what I should do other than a Hard Reset? Thanks.

Guest Confucious
it doesn't even look like the right connector !

It does to me! One end is standard USb that plugs into the charger, the other end is mini-USB that plugs into the phone.

It would be great if it worked;)

It does to me! One end is standard USb that plugs into the charger, the other end is mini-USB that plugs into the phone.

Put your specs on; it's clearly an SPV/E100/E200 type connector! You can see the lugs on the side #-o

connector.jpg

Guest Confucious

I've got my specs on and it still looks like a mini USB to me.

But then I have no idea what an E100 connector looks like and I could very well be wrong..... :oops:

Guest spacerace

well sorry but it definitely doesn't look like a mini USB connector to me !

I imagine the store decided the product labelled for an E200 would also work for the newer C500 without actually checking / taking a look at the connector .....

OK - I've tested every combination, bought too much equipment NONE works! Simple!

It appears that the VDC must be ~5.15V - computer PSU will push that to the USB port, more importantly the Amp HAS to be 1A, seems to trigger the charge mechanism within the battery/phone. Most hubs only carry forward ~ .5 - .85A.

All the currently marketed (clone) chargers for C500 do not work as they are standard VDC 5.0V and .85A.

Whilst many websites mention that the SPV E series chargers will work with C500, they've obviously not looked @ one as they are completely different connectors (flat for E series, Mini-USB for C500).

Don't waste your money (like I have) on any chargers until the GENUINE car/mains chargers become available.

Aside the frustration of not having a car charger yet and having owned the Classic, E100, E200, I must say the C500 is the dogs danglers!

I've just bought a c500 car charger from the orange website for £9.99. Free delivery.

I'll let you know when it arrives and if it works. (well first I have to fix my cigar lighter from when a penny dropped into it and shorted the fuse!)

Isabelle

I bought a case for my girlfriends C500 from the Orange shop last weekend, it was £9.99. At the checkout the girl asked if I was interested in an offer they were running whereby for £14.99 you get an in-car charger, cradle, hands-free and leather case. I don't need the handsfree nor cradle, but a case and in-car charger for £14.99 was good value imo. So I said yes. She went out back to get the bits, but came back empty handed saying they had none of the stuff available! I was a little miffed! I took the case anyway and the girlfriend's happy with it. (The phone was taking a battering in her handbag.)

The car charger from the ORANGE web site arrived by next day delivery. It's definitely the right connector. I haven't tested yet due to car cigarette lighter not working. :oops: