Car Charger

Guest Mark0824

Hey guys! I went to AT&T following MisterEd suggestion. Not only was he right about the "Moto model VC520" car charger working with the SMT5600, it was only $1.00!!! AT&T is clearing out there merchandise. Get it while you can.

Guest Confucious

You can get it in the UK too - Only £16.99....

Don't you hate these americans - first a $9.99 data tarriff and now a car charger for $1.00!

(Only kidding - just jealous really) :lol:

Guest Confucious

I ordered mine from Modaco and it has just been shiped so I should get it tomorrow. Only problem is I only have one cigarette lighter in the car but now have a charger for the GPS and one for the phone.....

I ordered mine from Modaco and it has just been shiped so I should get it tomorrow. Only problem is I  only have one cigarette lighter in the car but now have a charger for the GPS and one for the phone.....

It's not the most attractive solution but if you pay a quick visit to Maplins or Halfords you can get what is in effect a lighter socket 'multi way adapter'. I really need to get my finger out and get a mate (he is a nanotech physicist so he is good at working with reeeeeely small things!) to join pins 4 and 5 on the usb cable (as shown in another thread I think) 'cos my PPC cradle has an extra USB power out socket on it that is normally used to power a hard disk but would be very convenient for charging the phone.

RikF

Car charger mistery solved!

On the Orange site it shows a pic of the E series charger for the C500 what actually arrives is the CORRECT mini-usb charger and it works, all for 9.99 inc p&p - happy driver! :lol:

I just picked up the Motorola charger mentioned above from by AT&T store. It works as for the SMT5600. For those of you in the US. They don't display them, you have to ask if they have any in back. I paid $0.59 for mine.

• 1 month later...
Guest my_man_mo

I did some research on the USB connector on the SPV. According to the USB specs it is a 5-pin "mini-B" connector. Pin 4 is the so-called ID-pin. When connected to ground it is recognized as "mini-A" connector, which is a new connector according to the new "on-the-go" specification.

By shorting pin 4 to ground the phone is able to distinguish between:

- a car or wall charger (pin 4 to ground)

- a normal sync cable (pin 4 is not connected); data exchange must be activated through ActiveSync to enable the phone to switch on the charging circuitry inside the phone.

Probably the phone charging circuitry is switched between slow charging (low current) when connected to PC/USB and fast charging (high current) when connected to a wall or car charger.

Guest myxmlking
I did some research on the USB connector on the SPV. According to the USB specs it is a 5-pin "mini-B" connector. Pin 4 is the so-called ID-pin. When connected to ground it is recognized as "mini-A" connector, which is a new connector according to the new "on-the-go" specification.

By shorting pin 4 to ground the phone is able to distinguish between:

- a car or wall charger (pin 4 to ground)

- a normal sync cable (pin 4 is not connected); data exchange must be activated through ActiveSync to enable the phone to switch on the charging circuitry inside the phone.

Probably the phone charging circuitry is switched between slow charging (low current) when connected to PC/USB and fast charging (high current) when connected to a wall or car charger.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don’t need to hack USB mini-B 5pin connector , Just use mini-A 5pin connector:

C500 or Audiovox 5600 has Mini-AB receptacle that can accept both mini-A or mini-B connectors.

Mini-A has pin 4 to grounded so you can use this for charging C500 or Audiovox 5600 .

All you have to do is buy http://catalog.blackbox.com/BlackBox/templ...+Cable&related=

But I don’t know where to buy them.

Attached USB picture explains various types of USB connectors.

post-64330-1104880545_thumb.jpg

Guest sponge
I bought a case for my girlfriends C500 from the Orange shop last weekend, it was £9.99. At the checkout the girl asked if I was interested in an offer they were running whereby for £14.99 you get an in-car charger, cradle, hands-free and leather case. I don't need the handsfree nor cradle, but a case and in-car charger for £14.99 was good value imo. So I said yes. She went out back to get the bits, but came back empty handed saying they had none of the stuff available! I was a little miffed! I took the case anyway and the girlfriend's happy with it. (The phone was taking a battering in her handbag.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Popped into the Orange shop again the other day, they're advertising a free case when you purchase a Travel Kit. Of course they don't actually have any travel kits for the C500, so I had to walk out case-less, again. :x

Anyway, I have just ordered the Krusell case off Ebay, so I'll have to get the car charger separately now. :x

Guest rob5600
Doh! I was on this page (does work with the smt 5600)

http://www.pockettrend.com/Default.aspx?tabid=104

then I clicked the USB Car Charger link on the left and thought this was the car adapter... My mistake!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well what they are saying is that this cable will work with activesync (and charging while activesync) But it would not work if it were plugged into a car charging adapter or on a computer without activesync.

:D I'm starting to think there is no solution to have a cable that will charge and still be able to activesync. I may even end up using the soldering method from above.

Guest Rapier

Hi all,

Are there any differencies between c500's sold in different countries (or the USB cables in the package)?

My phone IS charging when plugged into the USB socket even if the laptop is in the bootup sequence (windows is not loaded yet)... So it has nothing to do with the ActiveSync beeing loaded or not. As soon as USB is powered, the phone is charging.

I saw on this topic that not all of you can have it charged without having the drivers loaded

P.S. I also saw that a car charger is available in the Orange shop (I've checked the accesories on the Orange WEB site)

My charger arrived this morning and the best way to describe it is as a 'No Frills' product.

There's no obvious branding and it came in a plastic bag, delivered in a Jiffy bag.

But the main thing is, it works. :D I can now charge my C500 in the car.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tizio84

Hi all,

ordered and received a car charger from a US Ebay seller for just 6 $ including shipping costs.

It's stated it works with Audiovox ST5600 and C500.

Plugged in into my cigarette lighter, but it only lights on the backlight...no charging at all. The red charging light on the car charger anyway lights on...

Do I have to modify something in the connector?

Thank you,

Tiziano

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Genieuk

Picked a car charger up from a local Orange shop yesterday. Cost me £9.99.

You can also get the kit for £14.99, which included a very cheap car holder, a one headphone hands free kit, and the charger itself. They did offer me a free leather case with that kit too. Didn't need all the extra crap, so just bought the charger. Plus i think phones in cases look crap.

I had initially bought one of those car usb adaptors off ebay for £2.50 which included a car usb adaptor and and usb to nokia lead (for my other nokia phone), so I thought I could just use my usb to c500 power/sync lead with the new car adaptor.

Seemed a simple and straightforward thing to do, but didn't work and then I read some posts here and realised why. Didn't want to modify my power/sync lead, so just bought the car charger from orange.

Edited by Genieuk

Guest Confucious

Tiziano - if he said it would work get your money back.

mobile-distortion - it won't work. Wrong cable (you could join pins 4 & 5 together to get it to work) but it's easier just to buy one that does work.

Edited by Confucious