Car Charger

Guest Mark0824

Guest mobile-distortion
mobile-distortion - it won't work. Wrong cable (you could join pins 4 & 5 together to get it to work) but it's easier just to buy one that does work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what has been bosted here earlier (page 4 of thread by Mastad), the VC520 works. I looked closer at the charger that i recieved and noticed it is not the Moto p/n: SYN0768A, it is diferent...therefore...thats why it no workie.

yoos, sent u a PM about the charger you got locally...I am in melbourne...FL. Think you can help a brudda out? I am sooooooo burnt out on tryiong to get a MF'n car charger.... :evil:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sound1992

Please help!

I purchased a car charger from eBay for $0.01+$6 shipping claiming it works for the MPX200 and SMT5600. It doesn't work for the SMT5600. The backlight comes on when plugged in but the phone does not charge.

So I did the cable hack by connecting pin 4 to pin 5. In addition there are separate connections (from pin 4 to GND) and (from pin 5 to GND). So essentially pin 4, pin 5, and GND are all connected. When I plug it in the backlight comes on and the phone starts charging momentarily (5 sec) but then stops. The charging symbol disappears and the battery meter goes to full (3 bars) almost instantly. It does not seem to be charging. If I unplug the car charger, the battery meter will drop down instantly to whatever it was before.

Do I need to make sure pin 4 and pin 5 are NOT connected? <-- How is this possible when pin 5 is naturally grounded and pin 4 is supposed to be connected to GND.

Picked a car charger up from a local Orange shop yesterday. Cost me £9.99.

I did the same but I'm tempted to open up the charger to see if there is 3 or 5 cables in the wire, if there is 5 then I'm going to put a USB plug on the end so I san use my USB socket cigarette adapter (all my other stuff uses this) and mabye add a switch to allow charge or Sync.

Does anyone know how many wires there are in the Orange car charge lead, before I cut it up...... :roll:

Cheers,

Gadjet

Guest gadjet
Does anyone know how many wires there are in the Orange car charge lead, before I cut it up...... :roll:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's two wires, a red one and a black one, I connected these to a usb plug and plugged it into my 12V USB adapter and it works fine.

You could also make your own cable up: - Maplin sell the USB connectors: -

the order code for the 5 pin mini plug = L53AZ and the A plug = PN86T.

All you need then is some 2 core cable and a soldering Iron.

Edited by gadjet

Guest rob5600

Well I found a Motorola car charger a couple weeks ago from an old blue store. They let me have it for $1. It does work which is odd because I tried the car charger that the orange stores are selling for the Moto phone and they didn't work.

But in any case, the one that does looks just like the one in the picture a few pages back in this thread.

My suggestion would be to check other stores in your area just in case there are some more $1 chargers that work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest jstiel
Surely a MPX200 car charger would work, it's the same mini usb plug and my MPX200 data lead and mains charger works on my C500  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Won't work - tried it. Nothing.

Guest hasley

For anyone who could care, actually I use a fortuna gps charger, with an usb cable from a conceptronic card reader (USB A to miniUSB-b I guess). This cable dont sync, but charges perfectly fron any usb socket. Works with c500 and sp3i.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hissing sid

Don't know if this will help but I attach my mains charger to a 300w power converter I bought from Maplins for £20 and it works fine

Guest thees
You could also make your own cable up: - Maplin sell the USB connectors: -

the order code for the 5 pin mini plug =  L53AZ and the A plug = PN86T.

All you need then is some 2 core cable and a soldering Iron.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right on gadjet! Was already on the Maplin website when I read your post :D

I'm off to glastonbury and was thinking about some kind of solar/battery emergency charger type arrangement so i don't have to trudge to someone's car and back to fuel my spur-of-the-moment googling.

The obvious problem is that these kinds of products do not come with mini-usb adapters where pins 4 and 5 are connected.

The obvious solution would seem to be to head off to maplin right now! Although i don't yet have the charger which would attach to the other end of the cable using a certain type of socket.

However, while writing this i discovered that spare batteries are very cheap (~£15). I got mine for £7.45 + £2.00 p&p in an actual auction on ebay, but they are there to be bought now as well. Although this solution is less fun than the creative one, it suits me better :|

...And lets face it, if i bought a solar charger it would only rain!

If you like, i'll let you guys know how i get on with my new spare battery if/after it arrives!

Theo :D

Edited by thees

• 3 weeks later...
I have spotted that eXpansys are listing an "Arkon i-mate JAM/SP3/SP3i/Qtek S100 Mini USB Power Cable" ( http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=119718 ) which is designed for use with powered car mounts.

Might this cable have the correct pin connections for charging with a USB travel or car adapter?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to confirm that I just picked one of these up and it does indeed work just fine. ;) The cable is fairly short though.

Bobetto.

Guest simontan1

I bought one from these guys. They even posted to Switzerland at no extra cost. Excellent service and charger works perfectly.

Linky

Edited by simontan1

Guest lapimate
You don’t need to hack USB mini-B 5pin connector , Just use mini-A 5pin connector:

C500 or Audiovox 5600 has Mini-AB receptacle  that can accept both  mini-A or mini-B connectors.

Mini-A has pin 4 to grounded so you can use this for charging C500 or Audiovox 5600 .

All you have to do is buy http://catalog.blackbox.com/BlackBox/templ...+Cable&related=

But I don’t know where to buy them.

Attached USB picture explains various types of USB connectors.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I purchased a "USB-on-the-go cable mini USB A male - blunt cut" [ie mini-A as referred to above; other end of cable was unterminated] product number MUSB05-0015 [email protected]

Edited by lapimate

Guest lapimate
Please help!

I purchased a car charger from eBay for $0.01+$6 shipping claiming it works for the MPX200 and SMT5600.  It doesn't work for the SMT5600.  The backlight comes on when plugged in but the phone does not charge.

So I did the cable hack by connecting pin 4 to pin 5.  In addition there are separate connections (from pin 4 to GND) and (from pin 5 to GND).  So essentially pin 4, pin 5, and GND are all connected.  When I plug it in the backlight comes on and the phone starts charging momentarily (5 sec) but then stops.  The charging symbol disappears and the battery meter goes to full (3 bars) almost instantly.  It does not seem to be charging.  If I unplug the car charger, the battery meter will drop down instantly to whatever it was before.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had a similar experience using a "USB-on-the-go cable mini USB A male - blunt cut" [ie mini-A; other end of cable was unterminated] product number MUSB05-0015 [email protected] to replace the cable on an Expansys 115757 i-mate SP3 AC Adaptor (AU Plug) but after a couple of occasions the problem has appeared to go away. The "original" charger HTC P/N 79H00041-04 has a rated output of 5V 1A; the Expansys 115757 has a rated output of 4.9V 420mA. I wonder if the available current affects the matter, or the initial charge state of the battery?

Edited by lapimate

Guest rianscott

I kind of got curious at the idea of adapting the car cigarette adapter rather than the cable and as you say it indeed only has 4 pins. but when you think about it, the extra pin on the end of the usb must be connected to something at the lighter plug. So I have justed this second shoved some silver foil (not recommended!) between the ground pin and the one next too it and voila it bloomin works, though you do need to plug the lighter adapter in to the car and THEN the plug into the mini. Now I have a car charger and a sync cable all in one with very little modification, I will be soldering the pins in a moment , the siver foil is a dangerous idea and was only used for test purposes, hey I actually have some of that conductive paint they sell for repairing the heated windscreen on the car, I wonder if that will do the trick! ;)

Guest JimDerDog
Just asked a mate who knows about these things and the symbol (horizontal line with 3 dashes underneath) means DC as opposed to a ~ which means AC.

My Blackberry charger would not work because it is only 1/2 Amp not 1Amp.

Don't know about any of the other problems tho.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just came across this thread so not sure if the question has been answered or not, but my C500 charges quite happily from my old MPX200 car charger, no problems at all.

;)

Guest wazmo
I kind of got curious at the idea of adapting the car cigarette adapter rather than the cable and as you say it indeed only has 4 pins. but when you think about it, the extra pin on the end of the usb must be connected to something at the lighter plug. So I have justed this second shoved some silver foil (not recommended!) between the ground pin and the one next too it and voila it bloomin works, though you do need to plug the lighter adapter in to the car and THEN the plug into the mini.  Now I have a car charger and a sync cable all in one with very little modification, I will be soldering the pins in a moment , the siver foil is a dangerous idea and was only used for test purposes, hey I actually have some of that conductive paint they sell for repairing the heated windscreen on the car, I wonder if that will do the trick! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What did you exactly do? I'm not seeing what pin you shorted to ground? And what are you modding-the regular USB end or the car charger?

Guest IT Troll

Just to confirm my previous post and corroborate Bobetto's.

The "Arkon i-mate JAM/SP3/SP3i/Qtek S100 Mini USB Power Cable", available from eXpansys ( http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=119718 ) does enable USB-based power adapters to work with the HTC Typhoon & Variants. This includes car adapters and travel adapters. The cable is a little short but at least it does the job.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest PPCPassion

I bought Car charger from Martin Field's website. Charge indicator light stays on for 3-4 minutes and battery does indicate charged 100%-causing charger to shut down. However, when I reset (restart) the phone, it indicates it did not charge at all. For example, my battery indicator prior to charging was 50%, plug in the car charger, indicated 100% in 3-4 minutes and indicator light went off as if the battery was 100% charged. reset the phone, it was back to 50%?? Any ideas why and how to fix it?? I did contact Martin Fields and they are sending me a replacement stating, it may be a defective piece. Anyone else had this problem?

Thanks