Power Notification SPV C500

Guest dh

Thanks for the feedback, it nice to get someone else to test things, can get a bit lost.

I can change the never to that value if thats what its meant to do, will check.

I've not been able to get the backlight to stay on when plugged into the USB, the problem here is the phone doesn't think it is on AC, if you look at the config app the AC flag doesn't get set to 1, but when you plug into the AC adapter it does. I'm looking at a way to detect the USB at the moment. Using the Battery Flag may cause issues as it doesn't distinguish between fully changed on AC and high charge on DC. I'm looking at the RS323 detect thing.

As far as the display timeout, I think when the device is connected to power it won't kill the screen, will have to do further testing mind.

Guest nickwaring

If you go into one of the settings through the power management menu and change it to 'never', then go to the corresponding registry key the value is seen as 4294967295.

As for getting the screen to turn on... I did wonder if it was because I was using the USB charger... I'll give it a go when I get home

Guest nickwaring

Dan,

Had a play around this weekend... when I plug into the AC adaptor I now see the AC Charge = 1 indicator and the ACTimeout setting gets updated to reflect the value in the config file. It's difficult to test the 'never' setting as it currently uses '99999' which is 99 seconds.

I have noticed that manually setting the ACTimeout setting to a higher value doesn't seem to have any bearing on the length of time the backlight stays on.. Does your program need to change both the AC Timeout and BatteryTimeout keys when it registers there is external power?

Have changed 'never' value to 4294967295 in the config app, sets correctly now.

The way it works is...

The config app changes the ACTimeout according to what you specify.

The backlight app then uses the ACTimeout value and when the phone is connected to AC it is copied into the BatteryTimeout value and the system is notified there ihas been a change. When the AC is disconnected the original BatteryTimeout is restored and the system notified again.

If the phone is connected to AC when you make a change with the config app then the system updates the BatteryTimeout and notifys the system again. You can change the ACTimeout manually in the reg, the backlight app will use it the next time AC is attached.

I've been doing some more testing and it seems that the 10min timeout leaves the backlight on, it doesn't timeout after 10mins? I don't understand, it seems many changes have been made to the C500 since the E200

Guest nickwaring

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation on the inner workings!

I'll give it a go.. but won't know the result for a couple of days... I'm away from home until Thursday evening and have just remembered that I've forgotten my AC Adaptor... only got the USB one!

Nick

Guest nickwaring

By the way... did you implement anything around the RS232 (or NET, or Activesync connection) event notification?

This may enable the backlight to stay on whilst connected to the PC (Given that it doesn't think it's on AC)

Can get the RS232 connection event, but then don't know when it is disconnected, the event only fires on connection. It appears the net connect / disconnect aren't raised. Don't know of any other events at this time

Guest nickwaring

Hi,

Been having a look around and... you've probably considered them but i'll mention them anyway.!

Is there notification of a change in battery % charge.. this would mean you could look for ACLinestatus=1, BatteryFlag=8 or battery%change= <99%??

Is there a difference between ACLinestatus and bACLinestatus?... The following MSDN link mentions the bACLineStatus:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default...._power_info.asp

Nick

I think it is just terminoligy, b for bool, dw for dword.

Just done the update, no change, USB power is just the same.

I'll have to look at the logic and see if I can do tests like you suggest, i.e. if charge is greater than 99% put the backlight on

Guest nickwaring

I've returned from my trip and eagerly connected the mains power.... I'm pleased to say is seems to do exacly what I expect... I haven't applied the reg tweak for the poll timing yet.. but I guess all this will do is make it more responsive.

Did you have any luck with using the battery % notification?... it could be something to add into the config utitily.. i.e. Tick a box if you want to enable USB connection override... just a thought

It will be interesting what happens when a car charger is widely available.. this will be the real test for me... does a car charger appear as AC or USB connection?? I don't have a car charger at the moment so I can't test it

Nick

Been doing some more digging, any ideas on RegisterDeviceNotification, can't seem to find much on it, but there are references to connection notifiations etc.

I haven't done anything with the % change etc as yet, I'd like to get notification to work is possible

Guest nickwaring

Hi,

Sorry for the delay.. things have been a bit hectic of late...

I've tried the app and it does what I was expecting... I did have a concern over how long the backlight took to turn off when the activesync connection was ended.. but this was probably because I haven't ammended the polling interval.

It would be really good if you could use the config app to select wether you want to enable the AC overide, USB overide or both..

Also.. I have noticed that the temperature of the device does go up quite a bit when the backlight is permenantly on (I'm using the smartmonitor plugin)... perhaps another enhancement could be a brightness selector to choose a 'mid' level brightness... it should be possible given that the backlight goes off in two phases.

Other than that it's been running for 3 days now and hasn't caused any problems - good work!

Regards

Just a quick reply, I've been using my phone with the amended battery polling for a while, it doesn't seem to have had any impact on performance or battery life.

I might have a go with your suggestions if I get time, the selection options should be quite easy, not sure about the brightness.

The main reason I started this app months and months ago was to get the backlight to stay on when I had the phone in the car, I was expecting the E200 to get a car kit, that never happened, and now with the C500 I'm hoping the car charger (I'm using a bluetooth handsfree kit) will work, we'll see.....

• 9 months later...
Guest mindracing
Just a quick reply, I've been using my phone with the amended battery polling for a while,  it doesn't seem to have had any impact on performance or battery life.

I might have a go with your suggestions if I get time, the selection options should be quite easy, not sure about the brightness.

The main reason I started this app months and months ago was to get the backlight to stay on when I had the phone in the car, I was expecting the E200 to get a car kit, that never happened, and now with the C500 I'm hoping the car charger (I'm using a bluetooth handsfree kit) will work, we'll see.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont' know if this has been solved yet, I'm still looking, however, Tom Tom mobile will keep the C500 backlight on when on external power, so it can be done.

If this is now solved I'd really appreciate the solution.