Got the MPx220 - AWESOME!

Guest McHale

Guest kianlo0n

brown/red version ?? i thought there's just the silver version and the black version?

and does the mpx 220 can connect to wi-fi? or i need a Memory card that has wi-fi features to connect the phone via wi-fi?

want to buy mpx 220, but not until next month in uk... damn...

no. there's only 2 color versions silver, and whatever you call the other one. As of now, only the silver has officially surfaced. I believe the black or brown/red or whatever you wanna call it will, but that's a guess.

As far as WiFi with the MPx220. It's not possible and it won't be possible. Unless someone comes out with a miniSD WiFi card (and they aren't - I've contacted all the SD WiFi card manufacturers) it won't happen as Motorola said they won't be adding WiFi to it in any way, shape, or form.

There's been SD WiFi cards out for a year or so and there's still no drivers for it.

So if you want WiFi in a MS Smartphone, the MPx220 isn't your phone and you will have to wait (possibly indefintely) for one with it built in.

If WiFi isn't a requirement, the MPx220 is the best phone out there. I've played with the C500 side by side and the choice was obvious to which was better.

-Mc

Guest VapoTrini

McHale, I find it odd that you seem to be the only one with the opinion of the mpx220 being better than the C500. Can you elaborate on why you think it is? If you look over at howardforums.com you'll see that around 30-33% of mpx220 "owners", (IE: not people who've just played with the phone) are returning their phones due to various problems. I can't for the life of me figure out why any would recommend this phone in it's current state. The C500's problems pale in comparison to what some are going through with their 220's.

Another thing, you said in a post earlier that the mpx220 takes better pics, that's very much contradictory from everything I've seen and read... Here are just two examples of pic comparisons

1) http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/weblog/r...digital_camera/

PhoneMag’s Gripe #2:  

Damn you Motorola...this is “criminal” of you for integrating such a poorly built camera into the almighty MPx220.  It’s a shame that the Audiovox SMT6500’s digital camera is only VGA yet still has a MUCH better quality than the MPx220’s so-called 1.3 mega-pixel camera!

2) http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php...hlight=%2Bglory

Other than the form factor, I'm lost as to how you can say the mpx220 is the better phone.

Weaker battery.

Smaller screen.

Volume problems.

No voice dialing via bluetooth.

What am I missing here?

well, I've found that people griping about that many people griping about the MPx220 are flying off the handle over the rumors and don't actually have one. Check out the thread on HowardForums about whether people are taking them back or not. Only a couple said yes and most said no.

Sound issues: MOST if not all are user error. There's a plastic protector on the ear piece that you can't see (it covers a silver M logo) and many don't remove it. Also, it has a sweet spot that it need to sit against your ear right or it doesn't sound very loud. My MPx220 (long story on the word "my" but it works for the sake of the argument) was too loud out of the box and I have the earpiece at about 1/2 to 3/4 volume.

Camera: Check out the article at smartphonethoughts about the MPx220 camera. http://www.smartphonethoughts.com/index.ph...ion=expand,6578 I have found the same situation. The camera in C500 is much worse than the MPx220 and I've compared them myself personally. Most that say it's the other way around haven't even seen an MPx220 personally and are going off of pre-release pics.

External screen: clear as a bell when the settings are right. Even in the brightest sun, I can see it fine.

Speed: no comparison. The C500 is slower. Period.

The MPx220 handles .xls, .doc, and .pdf files natively. The C500 and the Audiovox do not. These are important to me.

Weaker battery? It's a myth. My MPx220 came with a 1000 MaH battery, not 850. Besides, I get several days on a single charge. Good enough for me.

Smaller screen: I'll trade the .2" diagonally for the much sharper, clearer, and not washed out display (of the C500). When you compare the two side by side, you'll see what I mean. The Audiovox may be a little, teeny, weeny, bit larger, but the MPx220 is a jillion times better to look at.

Voice dialing via BT: Doesn't bother me. I can live with it. ESPECIALLY considering all the other strengths.

If you root around in the news section and MPx220 section here, you'll find others that love their phone to.

The MPx220 hasn't been released anywhere but Best Buy yet but people all over the globe have been complaining about it for months. I haven't met a single person who's played with my MPx220 who hasn't been in awe of it. I brought a purchased MPx220 to the AT&T store and compared them that way. If you were in Illinois, I'd say you could check mine out for yourself. I love the thing.

Hope this helps...

-Mc

Guest VapoTrini

Good to see that the camera is getting better. However, I think the phone still has a slew of problems. Everyone knows about the plastic covering the phone. They also know about outdoors mode. If you go to the link below, you'll see people saying they removed the plastic and have the same low volume problems. Some guys have even been through 2 & 3 phones. I don't think you've read through this thoroughly...

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php...30&pagenumber=3

Took my $500 MP220 back to Best Buy today. I loved the OS and the build of the phone. I have always used Moto flip phones. I just couldn't get over the low volume issue, especially after paying $500.

I decided to take a look at the SMT5600 and was surprised at how much I liked it. Never really liked candybar style phones.

I picked up the 5600 for $137 and have 30 days to test drive it.

We'll see how it goes, but so far I like it (especially since it is $360 cheaper than the MPX220)

I intend to return my mpx220 tomorrow.  

After reading the many complaints here about the phone's volume being too low, I decided to compare its volume to the volume of my old phone (Motorola Timeport p8167).

To do this, I simultaneously called the same telephone number with both phones. With a phone at each ear, I set each phone on maximum volume and then adjusted them until they were equally loud in each ear.

I was shocked to find that the earpiece volume of my new mpx AT FULL VOLUME was equally as loud as volume setting #2 (of 7, with 1 being the lowest volume) on my timeport! I just couldn't believe my new $500 phone could have such an incredibly basic flaw. And it's really strange given the phone's external speaker appears to work so well.

(BTW, I removed all seven protective plastic films covering the speakers, etc. And I also put the phone on the "outdoor" profile, as suggested by many others here.)

How did the phone your phone come with a 1000 battery? Isn't 850 standard, or has motorola changed the specs at the last minute?

Don't get me wrong I'm trying to like the mpx220 but it just seems to have too many issues.

think of it this way. Some people are going through three and having the same problem. I would call that a prime example of user error. I'm not using outdoor mode. I had a Nokia phone that was real quiet and I complained and complained... until I figured out that what I initially thought was the most comfortable to my ear wasn't where the speaker was loudest. After I found the sweet spot, I had no complaints. Same with the MPx220.

I forgot to point out, that the MPx220 doesn't suffer all the bugs that the C500 does. Also, it allows multiple presses at the same time (which we all know the C500 doesn't). It's also quad band and completely unlocked (which the C500 aren't).

The Camera hasn't gotten better, people are just figuring out how to use it. No FW or HW has changed sine it was launched. I've been taking pics with it since I've had it and I'm not unhappy with it. It's also better than the other camera phones I have or have used.

You know, if you're really serious about buying one, go buy it. You have 2 weeks to cancel service as well as have 2 weeks to take it back. I'm not going to try to convince you or anyone that the phone is what I think it is. I don't work for Motorola. I've met more people complaining about the phone that only has a few websites to point to, none of them have actually used it for more than a minute.

-Mc

Guest Pondrew
I forgot to point out, that the MPx220 doesn't suffer all the bugs that the C500 does.  Also, it allows multiple presses at the same time (which we all know the C500 doesn't).  It's also quad band and completely unlocked (which the C500 aren't).

-Mc

Mc, isn't that like saying that the C500 doesn't have all the bugs that the MPX220 has? I mean, seriously mate, all phones have bugs, and the E200 and MPX200 suffered individual different bugs the same way the C500 and MPX220 have different bugs. You're not seriously claiming the MPX220 doesn't have it's own bugs?

Oh, and while Orange seem to have busted the multipress on the C500 (pretty pathetic really) lets not overlook that the MPX220 has lost the diagonals that the MPX200 had (ignoring bottom left!).

And you're saying the quad band is a plus point, but I see the enlarged size as a direct result of the quad band which I know I don't need.

Point accepted with regard application locking even though some would suggest that's a security measure (will there ever be Smartphone viri?).

I just can't get over Motorola having INCREASED the size over the previous model while DECREASING the screen size (sorry mate but NOT a selling point - I hear some homescreens appearance is adversely affected).

Guest angeljo008

I have to agree with McHale--I have had NO problems with this phone--I too have found the Sweet spot for the mpx 220 and I sound clear as a bell to the ones who I am talk to--Let's put it short and simple--If you have hesitations about getting this phone then don't buy it--but if you don't have it then don't bash it--try it out and then make your own conclusions--this phone is VERY user specific--it's all relative to what you like and need in a phone--Some will love this phone while others will dislike it--some will like the C500 over this phone but others will prefer the Mpx 220--like I said before--it's all relative to what you like and need. Like you McHale--I too am in Illinois--so we can compare notes if you'd like-- ^_^

Honestly, I have no stake in the sales of this phone. I don't own stock in Motorola and I didn't post this to start a "My phone's better than your phone" war. This thing got hammered for being a crappy phone BEFORE it came out. I thought people who were curious would like an impression from a cell phone nerd who has a long history of hacking Motorola phones and uses them at a stupid amount (I'm the author of the now defunct Motorola Bible for analog, TDMA, and CDMA cell phones).

The extra size for the quad band antenna isn't an issue unless you're just looking to complain about something. The phone isn't larger in all respects and feels smaller when you hold the two (the MPx220 is thinner and narrower). For those of us who live in the US and travel abroad, the extra 1/4" at the top is MUCH better than juggling 2 cell phones (which I did for a LONG time).

The c500 screen size is 2.2" where the MPx220 is 2.0". The screen on the c500 looks washed out and cheap in comparison to the MPx220 when compared side by side. It's also clearer and sharper. In comparison to my v600 and other phones, the MPx220 is leaps and bounds better in comparison.

I've had zero problems with it. It lives up to all the months of hype. It's much better than the few who are giving it bad press. This thing is so much better than I was hoping for. For $249 US with contract, it's a steal. Had this thing been out last year, I wouldn't have bought a new PPC as this does everything I need (except WiFi).

Bugs? Haven't found any yet. The only thing that is irritating to me is I can't turn off that stupid shudder sound of the camera. THAT'S IT! Check out the C500 bugs thread. They have MUCH more to complain about. Motorola obviously did a better job getting the bugs out before putting it to market. Orange seems to put things out there and fix them as reported. Check out the threads on the original SPV, e100, e200 and c500 if you doubt that.

The phone is completely unlocked, unbranded, and decert'ed out of the box. How much are you guys getting gauged to unlock your c500 and what hoops did you jump through to get it just install custom software?

If you are hesitant to buy it because of reading complaints, check it out in person and see for yourself. If you've done than and you don't like it, don't buy it. I don't care. I won't lose sleep. I really like this phone. It's the best phone I've ever owned (my 6800 and 6820 sit in a drawer now and the 6820 has EDGE).

Don't forget, Motorola has a little better history with cell phones than HTC. That alone gives it bonus points.

-Mc

Guest Pondrew

Points taken and accepted. Good to hear Motorola are showing the way with regards the apparent lack of bugs.

I'd personally hoped for the MPX100, then the C500, but now I'm thinking of checking out the SDA when it comes out, or maybe the SP3i if the rumours of multipress being fixed turn out to be true.

Windows Media Player 10 news made me decide I'll wait for a device with that anyway... (audiovox isn't an option here in the UK)

Guest angeljo008
Honestly, I have no stake in the sales of this phone.  I don't own stock in Motorola and I didn't post this to start a "My phone's better than your phone" war.  This thing got hammered for being a crappy phone BEFORE it came out.  I thought people who were curious would like an impression from a cell phone nerd who has a long history of hacking Motorola phones and uses them at a stupid amount (I'm the author of the now defunct Motorola Bible for analog, TDMA, and CDMA cell phones).

The extra size for the quad band antenna isn't an issue unless you're just looking to complain about something.  The phone isn't larger in all respects and feels smaller when you hold the two (the MPx220 is thinner and narrower).  For those of us who live in the US and travel abroad, the extra 1/4" at the top is MUCH better than juggling 2 cell phones (which I did for a LONG time).  

DITTO!!!   ^_^  

The c500 screen size is 2.2" where the MPx220 is 2.0".  The screen on the c500 looks washed out and cheap in comparison to the MPx220 when compared side by side.  It's also clearer and sharper.  In comparison to my v600 and other phones, the MPx220 is leaps and bounds better in comparison.

I've had zero problems with it.  It lives up to all the months of hype.  It's much better than the few who are giving it bad press.  This thing is so much better than I was hoping for.  For $249 US with contract, it's a steal.  Had this thing been out last year, I wouldn't have bought a new PPC as this does everything I need (except WiFi).

Bugs?  Haven't found any yet.  The only thing that is irritating to me is I can't turn off that stupid shudder sound of the camera.  THAT'S IT!  Check out the C500 bugs thread.  They have MUCH more to complain about.  Motorola obviously did a better job getting the bugs out before putting it to market.  Orange seems to put things out there and fix them as reported.  Check out the threads on the original SPV, e100, e200 and c500 if you doubt that.

The phone is completely unlocked, unbranded, and decert'ed out of the box.  How much are you guys getting gauged to unlock your c500 and what hoops did you jump through to get it just install custom software?

If you are hesitant to buy it because of reading complaints, check it out in person and see for yourself.  If you've done than and you don't like it, don't buy it.  I don't care.  I won't lose sleep.  I really like this phone.  It's the best phone I've ever owned (my 6800 and 6820 sit in a drawer now and the 6820 has EDGE).

Don't forget, Motorola has a little better history with cell phones than HTC.  That alone gives it bonus points.

-Mc

DITTO!!! I am keeping mine--This is actually one of the few phones that I can honestly say I will keep for awhile!! I am notorious for getting a phone , not liking it, or bored with it, then getting a new one--I'm sure there are many like me in here--this phone will stay with me for a long time until someone comes up with something that can top this one!!

Guest Jerry Raia
DITTO!!!  I am keeping mine--This is actually one of the few phones that I can honestly say I will keep for awhile!!  I am notorious for getting a phone , not liking it, or bored with it, then getting a new one--I'm sure there are many like me in here--this phone will stay with me for a long time until someone comes up with something that can top this one!!

I'm exactly the same way which is why I'm not too worried about this phone. I've never kept a phone for more than a year anyway, usually 6 to 9 months.

Guest kianlo0n

erm... question wanna ask, it's that i saw a few phones with the features of locking the sms folder so that the other user can read them without a password. so i wonder whether this mpx220 has that features or any software which can download to obtain the features? And i did have a look on the sony s700i, it's pretty good though, but since the mpx220 is not available in uk until next month, so can any one just tell me what are the comparison of both phones? other than the platform.. thanks...

Guest refnulf

Well, I can tell you that I was horrified after listening to complains about the mpx220 and I was getting a little afraid of getting one. But I do like the phone much better than c500 and was going to get the sp3i variant when I could because that looks a lot better.

But if I had a choice, I would prefer getting the mpx220 and when it does arrive in asia, I will test it out before getting it. But I think the phones that come here shouldn't have so many bloody defect (I think that's what the problem is)

We'll see. I have time. But after what McHale says, I thinking testing em first before buying is a smart idea (and the c500 is horrific in design, I have to admit that and the SD card location is rather silly as well)

Bugs?  Haven't found any yet.  The only thing that is irritating to me is I can't turn off that stupid shudder sound of the camera.  THAT'S IT!  Check out the C500 bugs thread.  They have MUCH more to complain about.  Motorola obviously did a better job getting the bugs out before putting it to market.  Orange seems to put things out there and fix them as reported.  Check out the threads on the original SPV, e100, e200 and c500 if you doubt that.

At least Orange or HTC put out ROM updates to fix bugs, unlike moto which has a reputation of leaving their customers hanging in the air waiting for them to release updates which never came (MPX200) which we know they have(WM2003) and have leaked out. reason? maybe they are thinking that if they release an update for the MPX200 it would affect the sales of the MPX220. what kind of after sales support is that?

might I point out that you're in the PRO-MPx220 area...

I don't know if you know this or not, but Motorola is in the business to make money, not make a couple of cell phone geeks happy. The MPx220 (and MPx200) was released with almost none of the bugs that the HTC crap has. The vast majority of cell phone users aren't geeks and don't complain about every little thing.

You will quickly see once the MPx220 is openly released that it will quickly outsell all that HTC crap. Part of the problem may be that HTC has to release an update every couple of days to fix what should have been done right in the first place. And like I pointed out, Nokia doesn't allow users flashing their own firmware and you don't see Nokia geeks saying BOYCOTT NOKIA PHONES! WE CAN'T FLASH THEM OURSELVES! Hasn't hurt their sales either. I would guess Nokia and Motorola have been doing this long enough they know what they are doing.

The MPx220 has been out for a couple of weeks now amongts the geeks and I don't see a MPx220 BUGS thread. The c500 has several of those going now.

I think the pattern is clear hear. You want to talk pro c500, go to the c500 area and do that. Since I started this thread just to say I got one and it's great, wouldn't being pro c500 in it be considered off topic?

Where's the moderators when you need them?

-Mc

you should really really stop the use of the word "crap" since this is really annoying and upsetting at least me more and more. the only crappy device i know out there is the mpx220 and i am by far alittle more trained then you are in this business.

its ok that you like the mpx220. we respect that even if we dont understand it. but you disrespect any other point of view and there is only one word for this behavior: CRAP!

cheers, lutz

ps: i stop watching this topic and also answering to your very annoying postings. feel free to do your crap-flaming.

Guest David5093
You will quickly see once the MPx220 is openly released that it will quickly outsell all that HTC crap.

VHS outsold Bitamax but Bitamax was the superior of the two technologies.

All in all though who cares, you like your Moto and other like other smartphones, simple as that

Guest VapoTrini
The MPx220 has been out for a couple of weeks now amongts the geeks and I don't see a MPx220 BUGS thread.  The c500 has several of those going now.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php...15&pagenumber=6

OK, I returned my mpx220 today. I was on the phone with a client and had the dreaded can't here you thing happen again. I drove right to BB and boxed it up in the car. I took it the the returns counter and what did they say..?..third one today. Interesting. I noticed that they had restocked the mpx220 (had about 20 units on hand). I spoke to the guy who sold it to me and I asked him if they were selling a lot of them since they have restocked. He said they were selling quite a few since they were advertising it at $249 after a $100 mail-in rebate and that they have a auto re-stock based on units on hand. But he also noted that according to some of the guys he was working with that they were coming back just as fast. Again, interesting. He also stated that the extended warranty may not cover a hardware issue if moto does not confirm an issue exists.

Yes, the mpx220 is perfect. No problems whatsoever. :roll:

Why you are purposely misguiding people is beyond me.

Guest Pondrew

Sorry Mc, but while I agree you have the right to rave about the MPX220, you don't have the right to start mouthing off about the opposition. Make an argument yes, but referring to HTC crap?

The majority of this forum membership owns that hardware and HTC has done FAR FAR more for the Smartphone platform then Motorola's small efforts.

The MPX220 is going to outsell the HTC Typhoon? IN YOUR DREAMS.

Have you not noticed how many brands of HTC Typhoon there are? This is one argument you lost before you even opened your mouth.

Guest Underdog_2k
you should really really stop the use of the word "crap" since this is really annoying and upsetting at least me more and more. the only crappy device i know out there is the mpx220 and i am by far alittle more trained then you are in this business.  

its ok that you like the mpx220. we respect that even if we dont understand it. but you disrespect any other point of view and there is only one word for this behavior: CRAP!

cheers, lutz

ps: i stop watching this topic and also answering to your very annoying postings. feel free to do your crap-flaming.

SAD.. just SAD, sorry I'm no expert but isn't this the mpx220 forum? He thinks HTC is crap and he's right 2, mr expert you offend me by acting like you're the man. Who's flamming right now? Get a life dude HTC doesn't need someone to protect their product name. "crap" isn't meant for you, only if you have an intimate relation with your phone I would understand your reaction? why get offended just stay at your c500 forum if you can't take the heat.

If the c500 is really that great it doesn't need peeps like yourself.

Talking about respect: respect someones opinion and his intellect we don't care who or what you are, this sort of comments serve no one.

Really professional to say:"and i am by far a little more trained then you are in this business" So what?? we all need to buy the c500 because you're the man? and YOU think the x220 sucks.

Once again SAD...

Lutz obviously speaks without knowledge. He has no idea what my qualifications are in wireless. And to be quite frank, he doesn't hold a candle to my training, certifications, experience, and qualifications. Other than being certified in AMPS, TDMA, CDMA, CDMA 2000, GSM, UMTS, and WI-FI, I represented one of the largest wireless manufacturers in developing standards for WiFi and UMTS.

Nice to meet you lutz. I have been published in 2600, PHRACK, Nutz & Voltz, CDC, and was a guest speaker at the first HOPE.

I am an expert in cell phones and wi-fi and have credibility that can be checked by simply picking up back issues of the magazines I mentioned.

Care to back up your boasting?

Yes, the HTC devices, be it the first MS Smartphone devices, have a horrible track record. No other cell phone vendor would dare release such a buggy product. They have done it consistantly. Proof is here in the forums.

-Mc

Posted from my SmartPhone!