Got the MPx220 - AWESOME!

Guest McHale

Here's some things I noticed about the reviews:

1 - low volume through earpiece.

2 - poor picture quality

OK, want my honest opinion? The low volume problem is probably user error. The volume on mine is actually too loud and I had to turn it down. For those having problems, did you remove the plastic from the earpiece? And if so, move the phone so the earpiece hits your ear differently. I had a Nokia that was the same way. Once I figured it out, it was natural to put it there. Maybe there are some legit hardware problems out there, but that was not the case with the one in my hands right now.

Picture quality - better than the c500 (at least the Audiovox). MOST (and not just camera phones) have problems taking pictures indoors. But outside it took pretty decent pics and the flash isn't totally worthless. It does work (a little better than expected). I used the Audiovox and the MPx220 at the exact same location and took a picture with both phones simultaneously, and the MPx220 pic was better. There was no question about it.

Overall, awesome phone. I haven't noticed anything I don't like about it.

PROBLEM: Wireless Internet was NOT configured properly on the phone. And to be honest, it's not that intuitive. Right now the internet still doesn't work on it and I don't know why. I'm certain it will be fixed so I'm not upset by it and it's just a matter of finding the trick.

Comparing the signal strength with several Nokia phones (6340i, 6800, 6820), it's as good if not better.

JAVA - NO f'ing clue how to install JAVA apps without downloading them from a website straight to the phone. I have tons of JAVA apps on my PC and can't figure out how to make the MPx220 play them. Time to google...

Other's mileage may vary, but this thing rocks. My buddy picked it up friday afternoon and it was the first one of the shipment. I've had it for 2 days now (what a buddy).

-Mc

I had the same problem with java games. I couldnt get this to work for me but try the "open with" option using smart explorer when highlighting a java prog.

will do. thanks for the tip. Any idea how to install them so the phone recognizes them with the other JAVA apps?

-Mc

p.s... someone asked me about the screen resolution compared to the Audiovox. It's true it's a little smaller, but I thought the colors were better and the screen in general was just better (richer? cleaner? not as washed out?). The external screen is great (once you set the contrast to 1). I haven't had a chance to see the external screen in sunlight yet. It has rained all weekend and we haven't seen any sun.

p.s.s. it doesn't come with any mini-SD card or headphones ^_^ Cingular always eliminates the free stuff before they release a phone.

p.s.s.s. I believe Cingular will be coming out with the brown/red version (instead of the silver) soon. On the box, it makes a point to state that it's the silver version.

The screen is 262K I believe, which is much better than the c500. The c500 has the same screen as the mpx200, i think it was something like 64K. (Anyone want to clarify that?) You should check out my "ExtLCD" post, there is a .zip in there with a ton of backgrounds for the external screen. Did you notice they cut out a window on the mirrored outside for the LCD? Preproduction ones just had the screen shine through the mirrored exterior, so when the screen was off, you couldnt see it. I guess people though it was too dim.

yah, I saw your ExtLCD post. I grabbed it. What I'm actually using is one I created myself that is just black. Even in bright areas, it works well.

I never saw a pre-production unit but I have to say I'm pretty happy with the current production unit! I really can't find any major problems (that can't be fixed with proper configuration).

Yes, the MPx200 and the C500 are merely 65k (which is pretty damn good considering my Nokia 6820 is only about 4k colors). Compared to the Audiovox/C500/Imate SP3, I don't see any place where the Motorola MPx220 isn't as good if not better.

I didn't phrase very well that the MPx220 I have isn't mine. My buddy bought it for himself and has been letting my play with it. I'm giving it up in about an hour (when he gets to his house for lunch). I'm waiting for the MPx to be released to see if I can live with the size. Hopefully by then, the rumored Smartphones with WiFi will be announced or released. I need WiFi. If those don't materialize or the MPx is too big, I'll have an MPx220 for sure. This thing is the best phone I've ever used.

-Mc

The mpx doesnt sound too hot. Too much $$, too big, asinine keyboard, not enough memory... Thank god for the hinge, or it'd probably be axed by now. Dont get me wrong, I would love to get one if it were a tad smaller...

I think you're right. I was cruising today and found (I think on Gizmodo) a review that says the same. The keys are awkward and the thing is just too damn big as a phone.

^_^

I'm still going to wait a little and see if anything materializes on the WiFi front. I don't want it, I *NEED* it.

At least I have the comfort in knowing that the MPx220 is available at any time. I don't mind using my Nokia 6820 until I find something out. The Audiovox doesn't come close.

Tonight I am going to figure out the internet settings and make that work. Once that's done, I'll create (or respond) a post on all the settings for Cingular.

-Mc

Guest angeljo008

I bought a Mpx 220 this weekend and I have to agree with you that it is one of the best phones that I have ever used--Like you I can't seem to get the java apps that I used on my V400 to work or function on the mpx220--the blackberry functionality of the phone is awesome--I get all of my emails on time with no problems--Haven't had any trouble with the internet other than if the signal is too low (one bar) but other than that this phones kicks **s. This is one of the best phones that Motorola has come out with--would love to see the bronze version make it to market as well.

So is there a black AND a brown/red version or is it one and the same? I've seen pics of a black one and I swear it's jet black... wish I could've gotten it, it looks slick. McHale I truly feel the next generation of smartphones around this time next year will all have WIFI as a "must-have" standard, just as bluetooth has become now. Why do you "have" to have it now?

PS- I'm going to start a JAVA thread so post stuff about that there.

BLACKBERRY?!?!?

where did you see that app? I thought it was to be added later via download.

Hmmm...

No. There's no black version. Only the brown/red one (we're assuming). I never know what to call it. I've seen it called ox blood, brown/black. I dunno what to call it. Sorry for the confusion. I'm really liking the brown/red one. I just assume it's still coming since they made a point to put on the side of the box that this one was silver.

EVERYTHING I do is via WiFi. I was on the engineering team at Lucent and helped develop the original WaveLAN. Needless to say, my house is wireless, all my friend's houses are wireless, my work is wireless, and I always end up at some place that has WiFi available. It's MUCH cheaper than GPRS or EDGE.

-Mc

if you have a steady job, enjoy it until something better comes along. I was one of the unlucky ones that got layed off last Christmas. Luckily, they paid me well and I learned a lot and got to travel. All I'm doing now is private consulting and wireless surveys. My bank account is going down, not up. :D

Work in the geek field is still slow. Oh well, at least I have toys to keep me busy. ^_^

-Mc

p.s. Blackberry?!?!?!

I think by blackberry he's referring to that... I think it's called Viso... program that's included in the 220. Check in out in the news forum.

ps- Let me reiterate I'm doing car sales... and we are upon the winter. I wouldn't really put "steady" in the same sentance. ^_^

Guest aychseven

i think of the black phone as more of a dark bronze color. google bengalboy mpx220 and you should find some good live pictures that show the color pretty well.

as for wifi, if you look up the processor specs (OMAP1611) you'll see it has 802.11 support built right in. i'd think it should only be a matter of time before someone comes out with a mini-sd card to make use of it. ditto for gps.

only the MPx220 has a miniSD slot that is accessible. The C500 stuff places the slot under the battery. There's NO way that they can make a miniSD card that will have a functional antenna that works under the battery and it's highly doubtful that they can make one at all that size.

I'm still amazed that there aren't smartphone drivers for the SD wifi card that's been out for what, 2 years now?!?!?

Nah, it will have to be included in the phone if the phone has miniSD...

VISO? I don't see that anywhere on the phone. I'm still way down on the learning curve on this thing. Only have had it a day or so...

-Mc

nope. There's NOTHING on the phone resembling VISO or Blackberry. I say it's not on there (unless it's nested someplace in the email settings which I didn't see).

Angeljo... are you SURE about that Blackberry? It's not supposed to be out yet.

-Mc

Guest angeljo008
BLACKBERRY?!?!?

where did you see that app?  I thought it was to be added later via download.

Hmmm...

No.  There's no black version.  Only the brown/red one (we're assuming).  I never know what to call it.  I've seen it called ox blood, brown/black.  I dunno what to call it.  Sorry for the confusion.  I'm really liking the brown/red one.  I just assume it's still coming since they made a point to put on the side of the box that this one was silver.

EVERYTHING I do is via WiFi.  I was on the engineering team at Lucent and helped develop the original WaveLAN.  Needless to say, my house is wireless, all my friend's houses are wireless, my work is wireless, and I always end up at some place that has WiFi available.  It's MUCH cheaper than GPRS or EDGE.

-Mc

yes I'm sure--I'm using it as we speak ^_^

You won't see it unless you got the flier with the phone branded Cingular. It is out but not OFFICIALLY. the website is hidden unless you know the direct URL

http://xpressmailpe.cingular.com

Guest angeljo008
I think by blackberry he's referring to that... I think it's called Viso... program that's included in the 220. Check in out in the news forum.  

ps- Let me reiterate I'm doing car sales... and we are upon the winter. I wouldn't really put "steady" in the same sentance. ^_^

Nope--under the Mpx 220 phone it's actually called Xpressmail. You can get a personal edition, Enterprise edition, or network edition. The personal Edition is the only one that has no extra 49.99 charge if you have media basics atleast. there is no VISO on my version of the handset which is cingular branded from Best Buy. When I powered up the phone it gave me the option to Dwnld the application, but come to find out I needed to dwnld the app first from the net via http://xpressmailpe.cingular.com then it will guide you through the install process to the handset and the setup functions--it works quite well0--I have access both to the computer the app is installed on as well as my email and a few other functions--the term "Blackberry" refers to the particular phone not the actual function--that's xpressmail.

ahhhh.... OK. I didn't get anything with the phone (well, it's not my phone but I saw everything that came with it). I did see the link on the Cingular Home Screen for the download link but changed it to default.

So you get an SMS every time you get a message? Ouch. I get like 100 emails a day. Thank you SPAM!

How does it work exactly? I downloaded the PPC and Smartphone versions in case it's decent...

-Mc

Guest angeljo008
ahhhh....  OK.  I didn't get anything with the phone (well, it's not my phone but I saw everything that came with it).  I did see the link on the Cingular <a href=http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewforum.php?f=43>home screen</a> for the download link but changed it to default.

So you get an SMS every time you get a message?  Ouch.  I get like 100 emails a day.  Thank you SPAM!

How does it work exactly?  I downloaded the PPC and Smartphone versions in case it's decent...

-Mc

No not every time--you can set it to check your email every 15 minutes or whatever, or you can manually have it download your emails. In that case it would not be per email per SMS--it would simply be one SMS.

As far as renaming it--well...honestly, I didn't know..so ther ya go.. ^_^

hmmmm... I'm intrigued by this new app. When it downloads all your email, how much do you pay? This is pretty sweet... I'm just scared my first bill will be like 1500 dollars or something outrageous.

When you get your first bill, let us know.

-Mc

Guest angeljo008

I checked my bill online and haven't seen any extra charges--but since I have media basics then the charges are built in--if you don;t have a media package then yes I would dread the charges too....

hmmmm...  I'm intrigued by this new app.  When it downloads all your email, how much do you pay?  This is pretty sweet...  I'm just scared my first bill will be like 1500 dollars or something outrageous.

When you get your first bill, let us know.

-Mc

If you subscribe to MediaWorks for $19.99 - you get unlimitied Internet, a whole bunch of MMS and Text messaging. Your mail is downloaded through the Internet via a POP(3) or IMAP(4) protocol - thus, you should see no additional charges relating to e-mail quanity.

A related note, if you intend on connecting into a company Exchange server, the server must be running Exchange 2003. Since my company is in the midst of upgrading to 2003 Infrastructure, :? I won't be able to tell you how that works for a few weeks.

I have had the phone for almost a week. It's awesome.