Got the MPx220 - AWESOME!

Guest McHale

Guest Pondrew
sorry I'm no expert but isn't this the mpx220 forum? He thinks HTC is crap and he's right

Funny, I thought this was the MoDaCo Smartphone forum. Does it say in the site terms and conditions that you only participate in forums when you own the device?

Oh, and are you including the XDA and XDA II in your HTC is crap comment? What about the new Treo650 (assuming that wasn't a rumour suggesting HTC would produce that...)? Cos you haven't specified Smartphone in there...

I think this argument is getting no where because there seems to be no acknowledgement of Motorola's shortcomings whatsoever.

Mc even went as far as including the MPX200 in his adulation. Wonder where he was when the bugs list for that was being compiled...?

Anyway, I'm out of here, peace guys.

might I point out that you're in the PRO-MPx220 area...  

I don't know if you know this or not, but Motorola is in the business to make money, not make a couple of cell phone geeks happy.  The MPx220 (and MPx200) was released with almost none of the bugs that the HTC crap has.  The vast majority of cell phone users aren't geeks and don't complain about every little thing.

I'm not saying that i'm a pro C500.

that's what the problem with Moto, what they only think is how to make money, is'nt it that "Customers Satisfaction" is always good for the business.

it's just like XP,.microsoft provides us with updates for known bugs on xp. even for Win ME and Win 98, up to now they provide updates. did this hurt the sales of XP? i don't think so.

Lutz obviously speaks without knowledge.  He has no idea what my qualifications are in wireless.  And to be quite frank, he doesn't hold a candle to my training, certifications, experience, and qualifications.  Other than being certified in AMPS, TDMA, CDMA, CDMA 2000, GSM, UMTS, and WI-FI, I represented one of the largest wireless manufacturers in developing standards for WiFi and UMTS.  

Nice to meet you lutz.  I have been published in 2600, PHRACK, Nutz & Voltz, CDC, and was a guest speaker at the first HOPE.  

I am an expert in cell phones and wi-fi and have credibility that can be checked by simply picking up back issues of the magazines I mentioned.    

Care to back up your boasting?  

Yes, the HTC devices, be it the first MS Smartphone devices,  have a horrible track record.  No other cell phone vendor would dare release such a buggy product.  They have done it consistantly.  Proof is here in the forums.  

-Mc  

Posted from my SmartPhone!

where lucky that someone gets very windy in here to cool of the heat in this forum. might as well mention where you got your college diploma and doctorate degree or maybe you forgot to mention that your a scientist. :roll:

i think we should nominate this guy who is "expert in cell phones and wi-fi" for moderator. ^_^

I don't think it's right for any company to not worry about supporting their products because it will sell anyway. BUT, it has always worked for Microsoft. Everybody hates how they sell the next version which is really a bug fix for the one you bought, but the people keep buying.

And there's nothing wrong with being pro-c500 (or pro anything unless it's something really wierd like sex with animals or something). I have been considering the iMATE SP3i (same HW basically as the c500).

But I'm VERY upset that Lutz would come into this thread (entitled MPx220 - AWESOME) to cut it and say how much smarter and more qualified he is. This is the second time he made a statement without knowing what he's talking about. The other thing is him saying how bad the MPx220 is without actually owning one or even playing with the production unit.

The MPx200 was released with 2002 OS. Right? Wasn't the SPV and e100? Did they suddenly get miracle upgrades to 2003? Well, Motorola *DID* create the upgrade and upgraded phones at a tech event. I haven't heard of that kind of support from Orange. There also wasn't a promise that an upgrade would happen. And quite frankly, the MPx200 was a very good phone. Some still stand by it. It can't be all that bad.

Orange has bug after bug after bug with OS patch after OS patch after OS patch. That will never happen with a Motorola product because if it did, they would get a reputation of putting out phones that are buggy... like the HTC SPV series.

If you like your c500 or even your SPV, great. Enjoy it. But for those of us that like the MPx220 and think it's the best phone we've ever used, why not leave us to our opinion? This is a pro-MPx220 thread. Expect me to defend it. But I wouldn't ever go into a "Just got the c500 and it's awesome" thread and say how crappy it is because I have a secret document that nobody in the world besides me can see that proves it's evil. That's just ignorant.

Can we just drop this thread? This has gone a lot futher than it was intended - to show that there are a lot of us who love this phone and prefer it over the others.

-Mc

p.s. for those that doubt my experience with Motorola phones, check out my document called "The Motorola Bible." Until the Communications Act of 1996" was passed, there was nothing like it for any cell phone. And yes, I still have my free T-Shirt from being published in 2600 (I never submitted the document and they used my full name and email address at the time). I met with Motorola at *their* request to discuss cloning and problems with their phones. I am credible. I still want to see Lutz' wonderful credentials. Remeber, he attacke me and I'm defending myself. I'm calling him to the carpet for that. I didn't attack him personally because I didn't need to (and even praised him earlier).

Guest aristoBrat

FWIW, in the US market, both the Audiovox SMT 5600 (C500 w/ AT&T ROM) and MPx220 were released pretty much at the same time.

The MPx220, by far (!!!!!!), is getting the most user complaints. Low volume, locking up on shutdown (got to take the battery out), poor camera quality (some tweaks to enhance it), no BT voice dial, Motorola denying that the product is even been released, blah blah blah.

It's a definite improvement over the MPx200, but basically has about as many bugs as HTCs e200 did from last year.

HTC had a head start in this market, and appears to have learned from their mistakes. The Typhoons/Feelers are far from perfect, but they're also far from being as buggy as the SPV, e100 and e200 were.

Both the MPx200 and C500/variants are decent phones. But from looking at user feedback here, I'd have to say that there's many more vocal MPx220 complaints than SMT5600:

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.p...?s=&forumid=178

Guest Underdog_2k

Funny, I thought this was the MoDaCo Smartphone forum. Does it say in the site terms and conditions that you only participate in forums when you own the device?

Oh, and are you including the XDA and XDA II in your HTC is crap comment? What about the new Treo650 (assuming that wasn't a rumour suggesting HTC would produce that...)? Cos you haven't specified Smartphone in there...

I think this argument is getting no where because there seems to be no acknowledgement of Motorola's shortcomings whatsoever.

Mc even went as far as including the MPX200 in his adulation. Wonder where he was when the bugs list for that was being compiled...?

Anyway, I'm out of here, peace guys.

If anybody thinks some thing is crap that's his right to think that, you can either agree or disagree, but not by saying the c500/HTC is better and I know because I'm the expert. That no argument, this isn't an discussion his mind is already made up, you can't get a discussion when someone doesn't want to listen.

You have the right to post any where you like but what good do you do when you go to a forum subject: mpx220- awesome, and start flaming the person who's pro mpx220. The man just likes his phone, don't tell us the mpx220 is crap and de c500 is much better. There are enough other topics where he could say what he wants.

When saying HTC is crap, that doesn't mean YOU are crap. It's just a product, don't get personal, just an opinion. I don't need your qualifications/doctorate degrees to make my own opinion just give us useful information or a good discussion. I also never stated you need to have the phone to post here I don't have it either :D , but do want it.

Just don't like the c500 ^_^ ....

My qualifications: Commercial economics (unfinished), and now a lawstudent :wink:

Guest kianlo0n

what processor is mpx220 using now?

how fast it is compare to c500? i had read through some forum, and it's quite confusing. some said mpx220 is using some sort of nor type processor which is slower than the c500's nand.

and some said it's Dual Core OMAP 1611 CPU at 204Mhz.

so actually which processor it is using? and how fast will it be compare to c500, samsung i600 or other smart phone?

Guest Underdog_2k
what processor is mpx220 using now?

how fast it is compare to c500? i had read through some forum, and it's quite confusing. some said mpx220 is using some sort of nor type processor which is slower than the c500's nand.  

and some said it's Dual Core OMAP 1611 CPU at 204Mhz.

so actually which processor it is using? and how fast will it be compare to c500, samsung i600 or other smart phone?

The last one: Dual Core OMAP 1611 CPU at 204Mhz and according to the "experts" it's not only faster on paper. Had a graph comparing the leading smartphones (incl. c500) and de mpx220 is by far the speedieesstttt ^_^

Just can't find it any more :roll:

A friend of mine was complaining that his MPx220 was locking up. So I had him show me what he was doing.

1. When you enable BT, it would hang for a second, but it always came back. He didn't wait.

2. Once in a while he would lock the keys and wouldn't know he had to unlock them. He assumed it was locked. He would pull the battery out to "fix" it.

Since I've had the MPx220. I haven't had a single lock up. Once I showed my buddy what was going on, he hasn't had the problems either.

With as much tinkering as I've done on this thing, I would assume I would have locked it up by now. I haven't. I haven't had to pull the battery out ever and I do shut it off occasionally when I go to bed for reasons other than phone issues.

I would consider the possibility that people are having problems due to user error.

As far as BT voice dial, there's no reason to complain it's a bug. It's Microsoft's fault it isn't in the OS, not Motorola's and it was never advertised as a feature. Everyone on here knows it's not there. So if people continue to complain about it (and it's always people that don't have it), they're trying to prove a point. I can live without it. I'd probably use it, but who knows...

And I don't think HTC has learned from it's mistakes. They are obviously still putting out buggy OS'. Gee, the c500 has been out how long and they've had how many updates to fix graphic problems, button issues, and all that other stuff that a cell phone company (which HTC is not) would ever do? Nokia and Motorola put phones out to beta test to make sure that never makes it into a released ROM. HTC is more like Microsoft where the released products should be considered the pre-production units and the final products turn out to be the next version of the phone, starting the whole cycle again.

The reason you haven't see the SMT5600 bugs thread is because it's covered in the c500 thread.

I'll make a statement I said a long time ago. Most of those people complaining about the MPx220 *DON'T* own the MPx220 or maybe touched a pre-production unit.

The camera is better than the c500 and I'm not the only one to say it. It's also faster. It's quad-band. It has a 262k color screen. I think the RF is better on the MPx220 (mainly due to the external antenna). It has a miniSD slot you can get to without having to remove the battery.

I'll also make this statement, anyone who buys one who doesn't want it, I'll take it off your hands so you can buy the c500.

-Mc

Anyone have any idea what the HKEYCU/ControlPanel/ExternalLCD/FlipLogo string is for in the registry? trying to do some tinkering, that one stumped me. Changed the value to 1, but didn't seem to do anything. Also attempting to change extLCD text color, but to no avail.

Guest aristoBrat
The reason you haven't see the SMT5600 bugs thread is because it's covered in the c500 thread.
On this forum, yes. On HowardForums (the main US WM Smartphone forum), your logic doesn't apply. 99% of the people there have no clue what a C500 or MoDaCo is. The US folks there are vocal. If they were having as many SMT5600 issues as MPx220 issues, that forum would be full of as many threads. To date, 90% of the complaint threads are MPx220. Perhaps HTC did a little more magic on the SMT5600 ROM besides adding WMP 10?

I'll make a statement I said a long time ago.  Most of those people complaining about the MPx220 *DON'T* own the MPx220 or maybe touched a pre-production unit.  

Make the statement as many times as you want, but the people at HowardForums are complaining about the PRODUCTION units that they've purchased from their local BestBuys. Out of 67 people in this thread, 25 have returned them for a refund.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php...threadid=481071

Guest Sprocket

hey McHale, i'm out of the country on a longish kinda assignment..get back only after thanksgiving.. i'm afraid those unlocked phones may not be stocked anymore.. any body have any ideas of how to buy one of these mpx 220s.. lemme know.. i could give my CC #

you're afraid the MPx220 (unlocked) wont be stocked anymore? Best Buy will continue to sell them as well as WalMart (soon) and Cingular Themselves.

I have spoken to some of the higher ups in the Hoffman Estates facilities and they said they will remain unlocked. Even if they don't, they will always be unlockable.

I'm checking with some of the higher ups at Motorola to see what it's gonna take to get an unbranded one (that is unlocked).

-Mc

Guest Sprocket

you sure, Mc. wish BBs around DC carry em. You seem to know/ reach up the ladder echelon at Moto. You think DC could be the next test market.. I've heard of only SoCal & Gr.Chicago areas where folks have confirmed seeing them at BBs

Got a clue.. wass the rate; someone said 249 + 2 yr. activ. on Cingular. so get tht and dump Cingular for good ol' TMo.. Can someone confirm this strat..?

you sure, Mc. wish BBs around DC carry em. You seem to know/ reach up the ladder echelon at Moto. You think DC could be the next test market.. I've heard of only SoCal & Gr.Chicago areas where folks have confirmed seeing them at BBs

Got a clue.. wass the rate; someone said 249 + 2 yr. activ. on Cingular. so get tht and dump Cingular for good ol' TMo.. Can someone confirm this strat..?

With the crazy release schedules of carriers and new phones, I'm not sure of anything. But from what I understand, any Best Buy that is a valid Cingular reseller, HAS the MPx220 in stock. The 249 with 2 year contract is for new customers only. If you're an existing customer, it's 349 with 2 year contract. The difference is a 100 dollar mail in rebate that is from Best Buy (not Cingular or Motorola).

I actually asked them what would happen if someone bought the MPx220 with a new account then cancelled within a week or so. One CS agent said that until the phone is returned, there is an early termination fee. Another CS agent said that cancelling the account was a seperate issue. You bought the phone from Best Buy so the phone is your business. You bought it and can take it back if you want.

So the answer is - I have no idea. I no longer work directly for Cingular and am only doing tech work for them as an independant contractor. I don't work at all within the computer system and all the mysteries it contains. Hell, most have no idea and the same person will give 3 different answers to the same question because they think all 3 are correct.

You should have no problem finding the MPx220 and 249 will be very tough to beat. I'm guessing 349 from Cingular will drop to 299 within a couple months after the early adopters run out of money and down to 249 probably around 6. I don't see it dropping below 200 unless there somehow is a lot of Smartphones on the market all of a sudden with more features. I'm only guessing here and could be way off. Some of their phones and devices are released high and stay high until they stop selling them. It kinda depends if more Smartphones are on the way...

-Mc

Anyone have any idea what the HKEYCU/ControlPanel/ExternalLCD/FlipLogo string is for in the registry? trying to do some tinkering, that one stumped me. Changed the value to 1, but didn't seem to do anything. Also attempting to change extLCD text color, but to no avail.

follow this thread for flip logo information.

http://smartphone.modaco.com/viewtopic.php...t=97238&start=0

Hey....I said this in another post, but just so that you know, the Best Buy in Pentagon City (across the Pentagon City Mall) HAS the MPx220 in stock. I called and confirmed it myself. So, if you're looking for them in the DC Metro area, there's at least 1 place you can go. I can't say anything about the price since I already am pleased with the SMT5600 and don't plan on trading it.

Thanks for the link ronnie, I had seen that a while back, but I'm still not seeing a difference when i change the value.

follow the thread carefully, you will have to create a "logo path" in the registry, pointing to where your desired logo is located, then when you flip open your phone there should be a logo in the outside screen. cheers ^_^

Guest Underdog_2k
does us a lot of good considering we cant load anything on it. Anyone know a good WAP site to buy JAVA games from?

When I get it here in holland I'll say how you've got to install them :wink:

:lol: