SMT5600 Unlock interim solution.

Guest revolution.cx

Guest revolution.cx

As much as I like Modaco, I can't say the splash screen is my first choice. So here's a suggestion:

Since Microsoft has done such a completely incompetant job of branding the Smartphone (horrid, terrible, amateur) we should do them a favor and at least have a Typhoon logo.

Some people get to show you their Treo or their Blackberry or their Sidekick. Not us!

Hey did you see my new ATTWireless-now-Cingular-SMT5600? You gotta check out the new Qdong 3417t Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition, it's da bomb! Agh.

A nice picture of a big wave with the word Typhoon. Simple.

Man I would love to have the Modaco splash screen on mine, I was one of the first and I still have the Mmode splash screen :cry: :lol:

Just an update on using Data with my unlocked 5600 (Cingular).

For some reason the info earlier in these posts did not work for me. The following did:

Name: GPRS

Connects to: Internet

Access Point: ISP.CINGULAR

USER: [email protected]

PASSWORD: CINGULAR1

DNS 0.0.0.0 (Default)

IP

Hope this helps other who get stuck like I was. Speed seems fast (I was streaming a 56k WMV with no skips).

Found this info in a great document at the Cingular Developer's site. It has all their data setting and troubleshooting tips:

http://alliance.cingularinteractive.com/pr...areSettings.pdf

Best,

-Ed

Just want to have someone confirm, does this unlock with SMT5600 works with Cingular network and also their MediaWorks?

Thanks!

I have a plan that shows up on my bill as "XPRS MESSAGING - UNL" for $9.99. I think they had this before Mediaworks, but I *assume* it is the same (or similar) plan, with a new marketing name. Anyway, working fine for me (Web, and wireless sync with Exchange server - have not tried MMS, etc...).

Hope this helps.

-Ed

Guest aristoBrat

I used these: http://www.expansys-usa.com/forumthread.as...08280&thread=26

With the $4.99 t-zones I'm able to surf to any unsecured website and send/receive MMS + IMAP without any issues, although I've read a lot of posts where people w/ $4.99 t-zones are losing their "surf anywhere via HTML" abilities, so not sure if T-Mobile is tightening up their network...

Guest aristoBrat
Man I would love to have the Modaco splash screen on mine, I was one of the first and I still have the Mmode splash screen  :cry:  :lol:

Same here - would love to have the MoDaCo splash screen. I know it would drive our T-Mobile account rep wonky. :D

snip....  I've read a lot of posts where people w/ $4.99 t-zones are losing their "surf anywhere via HTML" abilities, so not sure if T-Mobile is tightening up their network...

I was having problems surfing the web in Seattle a few days ago. I called up Tmobile to ask what was up, and eventually spoke to a higher level rep. He told me that they are going to be tightening their network, and eventually I would need to subscribe to one of their data plans instead of TZones. Oddly enough, the web started working on my phone while I was talking to them. I have a MPx200.

Guest MitzEclipse

I'm in Seattle and using the 2.99 t-zones plan, i can surf the web and WAP sites - however i cannot get on MSN Messenger - is this a different service?

Guest revolution.cx

I'm in Seattle too with $9.95 T-Zones pro. Messenger ports are blocked. The easiest way to test something is to try it using pass trough on USB and the over GPRS. If it works with pass through then the ports on your GPRS plan are being blocked.

I can use HTTPS but this is a recent development. IMAP, HTTP, POP, SMTP all work fine.

So it seems that the way to go is use the $2.99 plan as the only difference seems to be how much they charge you each month.

I'm in Seattle and using the 2.99 t-zones plan, i can surf the web and WAP sites - however i cannot get on MSN Messenger - is this a different service?

Guest conflagrare
I am now using Florin's unlock proceedure to flash to different ROMs. I want and need 850 functionality. This is the e-mail I received from imate that was very discouraging.

Dear Sir,

Thank you for the query! The i-mate SP3 has 2 models, one that operates on the bands 900/1800/1900 and the other one that is compliant with the 850/1800/1900. As this compatibility is hardware related, a software upgrade is not possible.  

Feel free to contact me in case of any further queries/clarifications; I will be glad to assist you!

Best regards,

Srushti Ghisad

Some how I do not believe it because I was able to use AT&T singal in a location where I can not get Cingular. I ordered a new 64k Cingular SIM, which is supposed to use the 850 band first. We'll see what happens.

Since you were able to contact I-mate... where can one buy the 850MHz version of the SP3?

Thanks.

Guest traesdad

I am trying to get someone to please help setting up GPRS in my phone in the SUncom, Cingular network in Virginia......I just don't know how to and Suncom is worthless tech support...

I recently unlocked the 5600 and I am currently using it with Cingular. After much trial and error... here are the GPRS Settings

1. Go to Data Connections and select Menu and Edit Connections

2. Select Proxy then Menu then ADD

Connects from : INTERNET

Connects to : WAP Network

Proxy( Name:Port) wireless.cingular.com:80

Done

1. Go to GPRS Settings and select Menu and Add

Connects to : WAP Network

Access Point: wap.cingular (lower case)

User Name : [email protected] (Upper case)

Password : CINGULAR1 (Upper case)

Done

Hope this helps....

GQ1

Guest shortcut3d

Since you were able to contact I-mate... where can one buy the 850MHz version of the SP3?

Thanks.

imate does not sell the 850 version of the HTC Typhoon. Right now the best bet is to bid carefully on eBay or buy it from Amazon. I saw a buy it now for a 1 week old SMT 5600 for $280.

Guest MitzEclipse

anyone know what the GSM band frequencies are for the SMT5600 once it has been unlocked using florin's service?

Is it 1900/900 World or 850/1900 North America?

Thanks

MitzEclipse, the unlocking process itself changes nothing about the frequencies. The whole talk of frequencies changing started because up until Monday evening (my time), when the perfected SMT5600 unlock was announced, the only workaround for those who absolutely had to unlock their phones immediately was to flash one of two available Orange ROMs onto the phone, replacing the AT&T ROM. One of the ROMs was supposed to enable a European-style tri-band (900/1800/1900), the other one a U.S.-style tri-band (850/1800/1900).

However, when I unlocked my phone with the perfected solution (that doesn't require flashing the ROM), I asked Florin if I could have the 900/1800/1900 ROM anyway, to use for my upcoming trip to Europe. He answered that there may be some hardware limitation preventing it from working properly, since someone had tried it and it didn't work. Florin said he was having the phone shipped to him to play with, to determine if it was a firmware or hardware issue.

OK, my answer on this got way too long. The short version is: If you unlock an SMT5600 right now, with Florin's unlock service, the GSM bands your phone supports will remain unchanged at U.S.-style 850/1800/1900.

Guest aristoBrat
what I am askign is this the final is this the one that wp10 adn everythign works with or is the orange update?

This is the final. It unlocks w/o having to reflash to Orange.