WhoCall..another caller id app [beta2.7]

Guest Vector

Guest neilfenstein

Excellent! :) can you post a screen capture when you have got it spot on?

Are you using the tweaked incoming call background or just putting a template around pictures before putting them on the phone?

what if i support png? you may then use transparency with your pic so it would fit better in your background, no?

interrested? :)

just have to give a look at libpng, and i will see if that's possible (maybe for beta4)

Here we go!! I used my avatar to test it (converted to .jpg ofcourse). I can confirm that it sometimes only shows for 1/2 second - even less, but it seems to occur randomly... I like the app, a very good start but certainly needs more work...

ss005.JPG

Sure ceb. Not complaining in any way.

PS: Make a picture the size of the pic of a 'phone' in the background and as tall as the top of it.. So you get to see the phone number and the home/work/mobile indicator. Should look neat as well.

Guest midnight

well, if you can be bothered spending a little bit of time for each picture (aint too bad once the photoshop template is created), you can do this(sorry, couldnt resist have 'bub' as myself)....

incall.jpg

Guest Dave.Burn

just a thought, would it be possible to use the name of the contact instead of the number calling? that way you could use one picture for all the contact numbers, just a thought.

PS: sound app!!!!

Guest jonnyb

Great app, but anyone else noticed the phone slow down when it's running?

Prior to loading Task Manager states Phys Mem 6852 free after stays pretty much the same but try to run SPVMan and its like a dog....

Kill off "whoCallMgr" process SPVMan runs ok again.....

you may use shortcuts

example:

home number is 012345678 -> create image 012345678.jpg

mobile number is 065432178 -> create a shortcut to 012345678.jpg and rename it 065432178.jpg

That's a lot of shortcut to create for one contact, i know. but in a near future there will be an app to configure your contact and associate the pict you wants. This app will do the shortcuts for you....

(what i need now is some time to write all those stuff :))

Prior to loading Task Manager states Phys Mem 6852 free after stays pretty much the same but try to run SPVMan and its like a dog....

Kill off "whoCallMgr" process SPVMan runs ok again.....

anyone else got this behavior?

Guest chocobogo

So what size should the pics be to compensate for the top and bottom info bar so I can start on a template??

Also what is the best way to say them, what res etc to get best quality?

Guest spacemonkey

Works fine for me speed wise playing gnuboy, which is usually quite fussy about closing other apps... Haven't tested with spvman tho... maybe it's a direct conflict with that or some weirdness on jonnyb's phone.

A question... does the app alocatte memory and stuff for the picture or list of pictures? or does it only do this when it actually receives a call (and frees it up after the call)? Could potentially affect speed. Getting the lowest possible processor/memory footprint I think is very important for this kind of app.

I've just been resizing mine to 176 pixels wide, and shorter than 200, they look good but I get a nasty white bar at the top in the empty space... I think the bar at the top is 20 and the softkeys at the bottom are 20, so I'd imagine a picture size of 176x180 would be perfect. Needs some experimentation to make sure.

Guest neilfenstein

CRIKEY! :shock: Midnight that is exactly what I meant! Will you be adding the registry commands to your site so that others like myself can attempt to change backgrounds?

Very nice looking image and definately worth time on the background. I guess all you have to do is resize the caller image and put a transparent gradient on it! Classy!

Might have to risk this registry editing malarky :)

Guest midnight

i've already done a write-up on the 'skinning of non-standard screens' :wink:

i've basically created a template consisting of mainly 3 layers, a background layer, a foreground layer, and inbetween is the image of the caller, so it is very quick for me to add contacts.

The image for the caller id on mine is a tiny 86 x 92 pixels.

this means you can still see the phone number and the name without having to draw these by hand and hopefully will speed up the incoming caller display.

What i have also done is ceated several 'dummy' files (bub, bob, cororon, cururun, ) that i can simply copy and rename to contacts that i dont have pictures for. (of course if you dont assign a picture at all you just get the standard xbox caller background)

Guest lutzh

Folks,

this is by far the smartest beta of something that i ever tried (and i work for MS;-))... Thank you!

Lutz

Ahem: Would it be possible to create something cool for all not recognized callers? Like a "Unidentified Disturber Calling"-thing?

Ahem: Would it be possible to create something cool for all not recognized callers? Like a "Unidentified Disturber Calling"-thing?  

very good idea :lol: