NeoNode N1 now available in Europe... featuring Eclipse!

Guest PaulOBrien

No I'm not joking and I don't have a bad taste - I love the Motorola MPx220,MPx100, MPx, MPx200, T-mobile SDA, Mio 8390 and 8870, Orange SPV C500 and T-mobile SDA / MDA Compact. :lol: All phones which look great - but in my humble opinion, that Neonode is a strange, ugly little thing with a touch screen that's just to small for using a stylus, and the resolution is not handy for Pocket PC applications. I miss the keypad. Small screen is useless for SMS and e-mail messages or just dailling an number, I don't feel like using the stylus everytime for this, and my fingers are way to large for such a small screen. And if it has Voice Command, I rather would TYPE my message in stead of dictating it.

With my Mio 8390 I can run most of the Pocket PC games but the screen resolution isn't capable of properly playing them. Neonode has 176*220 pixels which is only suitable for Smartphone Apps. And will they 100% run with the rare OS? I think not. So you'll need modified software.

So, here's why I won't take it:

- I really don't like the concept. It's just to small. If its so small, how microscopic should that *** stylus be?

- Related to above: small screen.

- No bluetooth (Just like Mio and VOQ, and for any other modern smartphone BUMMER!)

- No 'real' OS, more a hybrid version

- To expensive in comparation with the MDA Compact which has MUCH more to offer! That's a real Pocket PC, not a half PPC/Smartphone!

- Typing or e-mailing with that thing must be horror

Guest midnight

it turns heads way more than any ms smatrphone, it is a stunning looking thing (its sat here infront of me)

its designed to be used with the fingers, its a whole new type of touchscreedn, there is no stylus.

the screen is bigger than the mpx220 screen (same size as c500)

No bluetooth, fair enough, but i cant say i miss it to be honest

it uses CE 4.2, its the same underlying os as ppc/smartphone

and typing sms/email is MUCH faster than typing it on a Smartphone due to the fact the touchscreen is so darn fast (no pressure needed, no key travel)

on another note, Eclipse on the N1 is far more advanced on the N1 than it is on the MS Smartphone, simply cos its more powerfull, and theres no stuttering or egg timer like MS Smartphone

seriously, i cannot tell you how amazing the touchscreen is on this thing, you use your thumb for everything and is a gesture based system unlike anything on other touchscreen phones. and without using it you really wont know how good this thing is.

oh, and i dont think your 8390 will run most ppc games, especially as 90% require touchscreen, and most just dont run

Guest midnight

errr, if there was one thing i miss then i'd say this was it, but to be honest, before ms smartphones i had a sony that didnt have vibrate, so it doesnt bother me too much. The size, weight, speed, functionality (and that will be added to as time goes on) and pure 'pose factor' are well worth it to me :lol:

I have one too, and I must say my main concern was the lack of vibrator. Bluetooth I can live without, because I've never used it on any other phone. It's still annoying that I miss calls when I'm in loud places, but somehow I've gotten used to the lack of vibrator, which is really a small thing missing compared to the other functions on this baby!

Guest Confucious

Thanks wuggie. I don't have a K700 or the E200 or (is that) a 610 but I DO have a T68 so now I can see just how small it is. Thanks

i'd still like to see it next to a C500 tho' midnight?

Guest midnight

yeh, i'll sort that out for you tonight, in the meantime, here is a VERY blurry picture (taken with the C500) of the N1 next to an E100

n1.jpg

I'll take proper digital cam pics tonight of the N1 with the C500 and E100

edit (oops, just notice the pic above mine had an E100 aswell, should look before posting :lol:)

Guest Underdog_2k

Sounds like a great phone (except the lack of dildo functionality) that's pretty lame never use sound. Also the styling: I looks like a digital egg, looks pretty stupid when on the phone, have you seen their add? neonode.gif Looks really dumb and THATS a pretty girl imagine when U use it :lol: (taste is subjective)

And how do you sound to other people when ur on the phone? where's the mic?

@ Microsoft (the member): are you insane? the Qtek s100 is 2Cm larger then a N1

@ midnight: I know it's not a PDA but it does have a touchscreen and that was what I meant. sorry my mistake ;-)

to be honest I will mis vibra function but like the others said the funtionalities make up for the faults. everything I read and see here (pic's) makes me want this phone even more.

I can't wait to hear from my phone dealer (please please please let it be possible... I'll be a good boy I promise)

ow BTW... midnight. could you (or someone else who has it) try if my idea works. it said that it has a USB host possibilitie. could you try to attach a Bluetooth dongle and try if it works? ow wait... don't you need a driver for Bluetooth? anyway.... worth a shot right?

Pigo

the Tetris game that comes with the phone works ok, because you only use the touch screen.

playing games using the NES emu is not that great though. The keys aren't really made for serious gaming and it's only 4 way. But haven't tried Eclipse, but from what I know it will perforn very well on the N1

Guest midnight

4 way again i'm afraid, but as you know, we have redesigned eclipse to play fine with 4 way. But the touchscreen does open up a whole new input method for games (Eclipse has touchscreen controls, but i still prefer the joypad to be honest.

Pigo, errr, it is USB host, but it needs drivers making for it+apps to use it to make BT work, not impossible though.

anyhoo.... :lol:

n1_3.jpg

n1_2.jpg

n1_1.jpg

Guest midnight

Underdog_2k, two reasons for having the speaker on the back (and so you have backtalking):

1: It makes the device smaller cos there is no need to reserve an area at the top of the phone for it

2: Stops your greasy face/hair touching the screen (not saying anyone has, but you know what its like :lol:)

Guest kurtfhouse

Well its on its way.................. my precious :D

When my girlfriend finds out she will go 'spastic' but I just couldn't help myself :lol:

God I'm weak when it comes to new phones :wink:

Can't wait. Don't suppose any decision on a forum here has been made?...........don't want to push it or anything but would be great 8)

Agreed, although the OS is not S/P specific there may be enough interest to warrant it after all it is a MS OS. May be in the "Phone Edition2 section"? Maybe in the "Phone Edition2 section" :?:

An area to air views and observations cannot be bad.

Non?

Damn after another trip to NZ, gotta pay the Card before i can realistically get one........ roll on pay day :cry:

Guest Richie M

Woohoo, I've been off-line for a few days and come back to this :lol:

I too had the poleasure of using Midnights N1 at the meet, and i must say; IT ROCKS

Def one to get (once i sell some organs or something :D).

(Well done to Alien Invention on the blinding version of Eclipse, and getting packaged with the phone. I hope Orange/MS/Qtek/HTC/etc etc are taking notice ;))

Guest Underdog_2k
"]The mic indeed is on the bottom.  

I think the back-talking is actually quite cool!

P

Posted from my SmartPhone!

Well I could imagine the mic on the bottom but that's 10cm away from the speaking part of your body, soo... What's the sound quality like for people on the other end.

:lol:

@midnight: no my face is not greasy I use a good moisterizing cream :D

islandtrend_1814_6259707

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.