sp3i available now!!

Guest zerod

Could someone who has used an SP3i let us know how it compares to the C500. Does it feel significantly bigger? How is the joystick?

Also does anyone have any clues how to get an SP3i with an o2 contract? Expansys is only offering vodafone.

I ask it to expansys and to imate: expansys says only english, but then on the italian home page there is this:Lingue supportate: italiano, us english, français, deutsch, espagnõl, português e türkçe.

there's a little bit of confusion...

imate didn't reply yet

Guest Confucious

The C500 (on orange) comes withE nglish,Italian, german, French, Dutch, Danish and Spanish.

I would be suprised if the SP3i is different But probably best to wait until someone has one to confirm this.

on expansys support forum they answer my question:

Languages Supported : English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish.  

--  

Mick - eXpansys  

but I will not be sure till I will see it

Guest radiator

Sorry, havn't had time to write a review...

It turned up yesterday morning @ around 10:00am...I've been messing with it since.

First thing first, the C500 multipress issue still exists (apart from the * key - it can be used at the same time as the joystick).

I'm not soo keen on the joystick, it seems to easy to accidently press it in, when you are meant to press a direction.

The keypad is nice - very strange shape, but it's got a nice feel (very fine texture).

I actually really like the look of the phone (ie, back/sides are matt, front is a mix of gloss and semi-gloss) - looks much nicer than the C500/SP3 IMO. Plus, think about how you hold a phone...you're fingers curl round the back - don't think it'd feel that great if the whole phone was glossy (and it'd pick up fingerprints/grease really easily).

Ooh, it comes with a horizontal case too! Not the nicest of cases, but it'll do till a Krusel SP3i case is released.

If anyone has questions, I'll see if I can answer them...

Radiator,

Thanks for the info! I was actually wondering if there was a case as I don't recall the expansys site saying this... I'd be VERY curious to know how the battery life is with bluetooth on all the time after you use it for a bit. Also, is the joystick easy to use after you've used it for a bit.

It's a shame about the multi press issue, how were you able to test this? I remember hearing a rumour this was fixed in this phone? But I guess that's why it's a rumour and we really need to hear things first hand from people who have the phone in thier hands.....

*Edit: oh yea, one more thing... Is the physical size of the screen the same as a Voyager or smaller? The reason I ask is because when I personally looked at the MPX220 I did NOT like the fact that the screen is physically smaller than the Voyager. I definitely prefer having a small phone overall, but I really do like the size of the Voyager screen and will want to keep my next phone's screen the same size. The MPX220 screen was too small in my opinion.

Guest radiator

yoos:

Bluetooth battery life - not sure about this as I don't really use Bluetooth.

I did post here saying that after an email to i-mate, they confirmed that the multipress issue was solved...obviously their meaning of the word 'solved' is different from mine :wink:

I tested it with a few games; picodrive, smartnes, exbubble, and gnuboy - all showed the same symptoms (only the * key could be used at the same time as the joystick).

I think the joystick will be ok once I get used to it. I'm used to a T610 one, and place my thumb on the top of the stick - 25% of the time I end up pressing the joystick down. I've found that if you move the position of your thumb for each press it's ok (ie, to press right, move your thumb to the left side of the stick and push right...).

The actual diagonal measurement of the screen is 5.5cm (or 2.2") - as I'm new to Smartphones, I'm not sure about the Voyager size...(and I thought exactly the same thing about the mpx220!! Screen too small!)

zerod:

Languages - Turkish, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French, German, English.

Guest radiator
radiator -i find the language choice a bit strange. Where are you and where did you buy the SP3i from?

I'm in the UK, and bought the phone from eXpansys UK...

The languages listed above were found in the 'Regional Settings' section of the 'Settings' menu.

Could someone who has used an SP3i let us know how it compares to the C500.  Does it feel significantly bigger?  How is the joystick?

Also does anyone have any clues how to get an SP3i with an o2 contract?  Expansys is only offering vodafone.

Hi , Here is a photo for size comparison. The SP3i and C500 are pretty much the same in size . Although the SP3i is a little bit slimmer in width.

PICT0516.JPG

Guest Confucious

I guess, as they are basically the same phone, its down to personal preference. I actually prefer the styling of the C500 but i know lots of people don't like it and I think the rocker switch on the C500 is probablly easier to use than the joystick on the SP3i (not that I've tried it). These are subjective things.

Objectively, what ROM does the SP3i come with? What software (if any) is pre installed? Does it have WMP9 or 10? In the UK you can get the C500 on contract a lot cheaper than the SP3i not on contract - if you can get a phone on a contract in the UK I don't see any reason for not doing so. Elsewhere there still seems to be quite a large price differential.

Apart from the styling and ROM/Software and price is there anything I've missed?

Just my 2d's worth.

I prefer the SP3i . The keyboard is easier to use . I always found the C500 keyboard a bit of a strain on the old thumbs.

The styling is personal preference of course but when I first saw the pictures of the SP3i, it wasn't very clear how the phone actually looked . I have to admit in the flesh I do prefer the SP3i.

As far as a few Orange add ons the Software is the same and if you take the battery out the phones are an identical setup.

The only thing I was a bit miffed about till this second was that the GPRS once activated doesn't turn off automatically after the set time out. I have just kept my thumb on the home screen button and the option to disconnect GPRS came up :shock: .

I was going to try and do a bit of a review for you all . If you like I will ???

Hi Confucious

ROM UPDATE VERSIONS:

Operator 1.1.33.21

Manufacturer 1.1.61.74

Microsoft 4.21.14132.0

Language 1.1.61.74

File System 4.21.14132.0

Windows Media Palyer 9

I prefer the Joystick .. Never could get on with the C500 setup

Cheers

Wardy

yes please, write a little review with some photos if you can and take some photo with the phone's camera.

Another question, have you got the pdf of manual instruction? is there in internet somewhere?

thanks

Guest TigerNet

@rpb...I think there are three options to get it on O2 (unlocked)...the shop here is offering it as is Expansys, or there is C&A Electronics on the Tottenham Court Road in London...their website is www.rankhour.com.

Cheers

Nick

well i just got my sp3i two days ago - and so far no dust!!! this is one small phone - the screen is bright and very crisp (much better than my sony p900). and its very fast. some small complaints: the keypad is light in a whit light thats too bright - if it turns on in a bright room its very hard to see the numbers. the placement of the light sensor is bad - its at the bottom of the phone - where your hands are when your typing messages - so it turns on when your hand passes over it - which is too frequently. once you get the bluetooth set up to work it works very well - but getting it set up is a royal pain in the a**. microsoft needs to work on that!!! other than that its a very nice phone. if you want a small smartphone this is the one!!! - just my two cents

well i just got my sp3i two days ago - and so far no dust!!!  this is one small phone - the screen is bright and very crisp (much better than my sony p900).  and its very fast.  some small complaints:  the keypad is light in a whit light thats too bright - if it turns on in a bright room its very hard to see the numbers.  the placement of the light sensor is bad - its at the bottom of the phone - where your hands are when your typing messages - so it turns on when your hand passes over it - which is too frequently.  once you get the bluetooth set up to work it works very well - but getting it set up is a royal pain in the a**.  microsoft needs to work on that!!!  other than that its a very nice phone.  if you want a small smartphone this is the one!!!  - just my two cents

How's the battery life? With or without bluetooth?

They come with a UK adaptor but next week we will have an EU adaptor available to buy in the shop, thinking about it if you order the phone/s next week and you live in the EU send an email to [email protected] and we will swap the chargers over free of charge  :wink:

Ooops. Just forgot to read your answer. So thank you very much,

and I am waiting for the EU adaptor to become available.